Register Register

Author Topic: Why are Clan warriors so unskilled in the novels?  (Read 1747 times)

alexbib

• Recruit
Why are Clan warriors so unskilled in the novels?
« on: 09 February 2021, 20:08:05 »
So I've read almost all Battletech novels and there's something that's really bothering me: Clan warriors are really, really bad at what they do. In the board game it says that on average they have an advantage of 1 in both gunnery and piloting skill compared to their IS counterparts, but in the novels it's really the opposite.

At the beginning of the Clan invasion (Lethal Heritage, etc.), the Clans do win, but it's made very clear that it is only due to their tech advantage. Then almost right away the Clans start losing (because of their inflexible tactics), and even once they've had a lot of exposure to IS tactics, they keep on losing. They even lose almost all straight up 1 on 1 fights against IS warriors!

Now, I understand that there are more famous IS characters that we follow in the novels and that they are supposed to be extraordinary individuals (even though they miss a lot of shots when in actual fights lol, even Kai Allard-Liao seems to have a gunnery skill no better than 4 or 5...), but it kinda makes following the clans not very fun. The whole point of their society is to make them into better warriors, but all they've managed to do in 250 years of this is to become worse than they initially were.

Even the Clan freeborns seem to be better warriors than the trueborns when they can catch a break from social oppression, how the hell did the trueborn program catch on in the first place?

alexbib

• Recruit
Re: Why are Clan warriors so unskilled in the novels?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2022, 12:07:22 »
Bumpy-bump

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2022, 20:45:45 »
The rules make trueborns better combatants in the game thanks to their skill bonuses, which manifests every time a player rolls a gunnery or piloting check. The sourcebooks and 100 years of history (3050 - 3150) show that the outnumbered Clan warrior caste was able to secure and hold tens or even hundreds of billions of Spheroids against larger House militaries.

If novel authors portray them differently then that's their call and serves the authors' dramatic purposes. It doesn't doesn't change game play.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2022, 20:13:12 »
Both of my published novels are clan centric and I suppose I feel like my Clan warriors are pretty good... but they're fighting other clans...

Register