Register Register

Author Topic: Writing Team Opportunities?  (Read 929 times)

Lochnivar

• Recruit
Writing Team Opportunities?
« on: 17 May 2020, 20:39:49 »
This is probably ad nauseum, but the answer to a question not asked is always no.

I'd like to inquire if there are opportunities to write in this universe?  I've been a Battletech fan since at least 1992 and would love to contribute.

I have other short stories published in the alternate history genre.  I can provide links if you wish.  Currently, the story being published there is a part of a serial of about 38k words.

Shortly said, I'm a new-comer to this genre, but I've been writing stories and plots for literally decades now.  I spent 10 years writing with a Star Trek RPG by email group.
Thanks to Auberan for the crest.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Writing Team Opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 08:00:27 »
This thread might have some helpful information.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Lochnivar

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 08:41:18 »
Thanks for that! I looked at that, but didn't see a definite answer and I didn't want to hijack the thread.
Thanks to Auberan for the crest.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2020, 12:04:52 »
The best bet is to wait for the Shrapnel Submission guidelines to be posted.

Writing fiction for the Battletech universe is a contradiction: On the one hand, all the basic background is there -- the factions, technology, history, culture -- is already there, so there is no time wasted with creating all that stuff.

On the other, everything has to fit together. Battletech is unique in that for its entire 35+ year history, there is one living universe, with a thousand years of fictional history from the 21st century up to the 32nd century. Writing in the universe involves knowing the material and crafting stories to fit into it. It's not easy, and it will challenge you.

We have fact-checkers look over the stories and sourcebook material to make sure it is in-line with everything else. (I have heard stories about well-known, veteran BT writers who have stories rejected because they didn't fit the overall narrative or there were problems with the story that couldn't be solved.

So, here is some advice while waiting for the Shrapnel guidelines to come out:

*Read the fiction and get a feel for the writing style and the details. There is a certain BT writing style you need to be familiar with.

*Start small, stay small -- keep the story narrowly focused on a small group of characters and the plot small (the characters and story have no major effect on events on a planetary or state level) Make the plot personal to the characters themselves. Don't write too big (or long)

*Research -- chose a time and place. Find out everything you can about both. Sarna. net is the starting point for research, but not the only place. If you can't find the answer to something, post a question about it. More likely than not, someone will have the answer.

*Details -- you have to know the universe -- the different rank structure each faction has (And that can depend on era -- the Capellan Confederation is a prime example of an era dependant ranking system), BattleMechs and vehicles appropriate for the era (No Mad Cats in 3025!), and other things (such as Clan 'Mechs have two sets of names -- one from the Inner Sphere POV, the other from the Clan POV. So a Mad Cat to the Inner Sphere is a Timber Wolf to the Clans.)

*Learn from your mistakes -- if a story is rejected, look for what went wrong and don't make the same mistakes in the next story, or the one after that.

*Continue writing -- once the story is finished, move onto the next.

These are things to think about until there's something more to discuss.

Craig
Author -- "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "Snipe Hunt," "Groundpounder," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Color of Authority," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Warrior's Song," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and the Novels Icons of War and Vengence Games

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 08:52:31 »
I'm not sure how folks are currently getting into the pipeline these days, but in the past the best way to get into the pool of contributors is to help out and keep writing. I was given a trial basis mostly based on just writing fan fiction back on Usenet waaaay back in the day. We've got a lot of writers who were part of the MUL team or the proof readers or other groups that helped out.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register