Register Register

Poll

What to you think is the most optimum armor level for medium BA?

7 points - I can survive the Clan MLs
8 points - You'll have to bring something larger than that "large" laser
9 points - PPCs or better needed for an OSK
10 points - You really must want me dead if you're shooting that at BA

Author Topic: Best armor level for Medium BA  (Read 3979 times)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
Best armor level for Medium BA
« on: 14 January 2012, 22:34:53 »
Pretty simple poll, just curious to see what other people building custom BA think.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleman.

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Best armor level for Medium BA
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2012, 23:21:54 »
Ooh, tough one, particularly for the IS. For me, optimum is 10 points, but sometimes I have to accept less than optimum to get the other equipment I want, with the IS standard (heh) of 9 points being my next go to.

Although not included in the poll, sub-7 point values aren't completely without merit, although this often depends upon other features such as a specialization that reduces direct combat, very long ranged weaponry or stealthy armor.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2012, 22:17:06 »
Agreed; one can get a medium IS design with standard stealth and LRM-2 with 4 reloads. 5 points is sufficient to stop the first splash damage from killing the suit.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2012, 20:11:03 »
Ain't that easy, I'm afraid.

If it's a medium suit meant for the clan lines (like what the first suits were) then 7 points is adequate.

8 and 9 points would be for any Inner Sphere battles, as this allows for the suit to survive Large Laser/Pulse hits and still function, a definite bonus.

10 points is optimal, however a medium suit will have to drop much in the way of firepower and speed to do so.  But I have a design that is still effective despite that.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2012, 04:51:40 »
If you go all out you can fit an IS medium suit with a OS-SRM2, a LRR, 10 points (advanced) armor, jump 3, and still have 25 kg and 1 slot left for other stuff.

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2012, 00:17:23 »
Personal preferences tend towards the eight range because most of my medium designs are there really only to support Mech or Vehicles I've made custom.  As a result, they tend to get weighed down in electronics.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2012, 01:20:18 »
I tend to like 9 points for IS suits, mostly because that one point doesn't help against anything heavier than a PPC. And if the PPCs are hitting, much less something bigger, I should have been somewhere else awhile ago.

I also find that more than 9 points starts to cut into payload to much for my tastes. Protecting something that cna't contribute to a fight is kinda silly.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2012, 17:02:34 »
Never more than 8.  If you need more than 8 you aren't using it right.  It's not supposed to act like a mech or vehicle, use the cash you save on more suits.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2012, 12:37:16 »
I would say 6 points, unless you expect to be nearer the Clan border.

Whilst 10-point is great, it really cuts down on the utility of a design. I generally favor 1 - PA(L), 2 - Light, 6 - med, 10 - heavy, 12+ - for Assault.
Freeborn and proud~

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2012, 14:46:06 »
I would say 6 points, unless you expect to be nearer the Clan border.

Whilst 10-point is great, it really cuts down on the utility of a design. I generally favor 1 - PA(L), 2 - Light, 6 - med, 10 - heavy, 12+ - for Assault.

Wow,  not to judge, but that's way, WAY too low for... just about any of them.

6 Points for a medium is alright only if it's using some heavy form of stealth armor- standard or improved.  Basic is far too little.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2012, 15:20:59 »
Wow,  not to judge, but that's way, WAY too low for... just about any of them.

6 Points for a medium is alright only if it's using some heavy form of stealth armor- standard or improved.  Basic is far too little.

I guess I prefer my BA to have more bite than armor. Being able to survive a ML, MPL or 3 SRMs is a good marker in my book. If the enemy is dedicating PPC/heavy AC/LL shots to killing my BA, that's a lot of firepower they aren't using towards my mechs.

Meanwhile, if that BA can double or triple their firepower, then that's a good tradeoff in my book. SOP would have any BA trooper (or unit in game rules) retreating once all their armor is blown off.

I do trend towards stealth if the fluff supports it, but as I like playing the weaker, less advanced factions I rarely permit myself to make anything beyond basic stealth unless it's a canon design.
Freeborn and proud~

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2012, 12:27:58 »
8 points is ideal cause a mech will have to start devoting primary weaponry to the squad, and are already at the "you have to want me dead." level  at that point you can also invest in camo or stealth armor systems, still carry a threatening main weapon and possibly some suppliments or battle claws.

that said, 10 points of armor should be used for suits mean to tango against 70 ton and up mechs.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2012, 12:52:14 »
If you're building a suit that's intended for short-range anti-armor action (i.e. leg attack/swarming or packing only range 3 (or less) weapons) then 10 standard armor seems like the best bet IMHO. If you're planning to fight a little farther away (MagShot FTW! ;) ) then less armor but with some kind of stealth may well be a better choice.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2012, 20:26:49 »
If you're building a suit that's intended for short-range anti-armor action (i.e. leg attack/swarming or packing only range 3 (or less) weapons) then 10 standard armor seems like the best bet IMHO. If you're planning to fight a little farther away (MagShot FTW! ;) ) then less armor but with some kind of stealth may well be a better choice.

Why not 5points camo or stealth armor, so you can pounce on his mech from hiding, with magnetic gloves, ECM and as many tiny weapons (SL, MG, etc) as you can squeeze in? Since mechs cannot target BA currently attached / swarming them, and (IIRC) the drop-and-roll or brush-em-off attacks are divided into 5-point clusters like LRMs.

I don't believe in designing a BA specifically for swarming by and large, but if I did I would prioritize damage over survival. A bunch of toadies doing 3 points damage each on an Atlas is is frustrating, a bunch doing 9 points each is a terror.
Freeborn and proud~

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2012, 20:47:32 »
Well, you can only fit two weapons in the arms. But Vibro-claws and other toys might up the damage a bit.

The reasons I want solid armor are because:
1) Ambushing is very unreliable - do you leave you BA out of the fight if no enemy happens to walk past them?
2) What if you miss and end up sitting in the target's hex with all his friends looking at you?
3) Light armor/heavy damage assuming swarming. Leg attacks are often more practical but doesn't use any weapons at all!
4) Unless you drop almost all armor you don't actually save all that much weight, especially if you have a clan suit or an IS suit with advanced armor.

10 points is also nice if someone points a lot of MLs at you - it takes 3 5-point clusters to kill one suit.

Register