Register Register

Author Topic: Black Widow Medium Armor  (Read 3201 times)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Black Widow Medium Armor
« on: 10 September 2011, 14:44:14 »
Hi everyone.  First post. Been away from CBT for a while, let's see how my designs stack up.

edit: trying again.  I reduced speed to accomadate the turret.  But, at least I still had more weight available then for another round of ammo the the missile configurations. Oh, an Ratwedge, I added an LRM configuration for ya.  Ok, let me know if this works, and if it does I'll be posting an assault model later today.

Type: Black Widow
Manufacturer: WC site  3
   Primary Factory: Arc-Royal
Tech base: Clan
Chassis Type: Quad
Weight Class: Medium
Maximum Weight: 1000 kilos
Battle Value:
Swarm/Leg/Mechanized/AP: no/no/no/no
Notes:

Equipment                                                              Slots      Mass
Chassis                                                                                   250 kg
Motive Systems                                                                      40 kg
   Ground MP: 3
   Jump MP: 0
Manipulators   
   Right Arm: None                                                         
   Left Arm:   None
Armor:               standard                                              0       250 kg
   Armor Value: 10+1 for trooper

Weapon or Equipment           Location                Slots      Mass
Standard
2 Light Machine Guns                body                         2         150 kg
Configurable Turret Mount         body                      2(3)        80 kg
    SRM 3 (4 rounds)                                                   3          225 kg
    Adv SRM 2 (4 rounds)                                           3          200 kg
    LRM-3 (4 rounds)                                                  3          205 kg
    AP Gauss Rifle                                                       2          200 kg
    2 Machine Guns                                                    2          200 kg
    3 Light Machine Guns                                           3           225 kg
Despite his successes in building up his Exiled Clan's Mech forces, as the Jihad went on, Phelan Kell began facing complaints from his own Elementals that he was neglecting the Wolf-in-Exile's infantry forces.  Their grievance was not unfounded, for while he concentrated his efforts building the Clan's mech production on Arc-Royal, all their battle armor assets had to be imported, usually through the Diamond Sharks.  Thus, while other clans were diversifying their battle armor assets, the Warden Wolves were relying on imported Elemental suits and the Rache and Volk variants of the Nova Cat's Medium Clan Armor.  So when the Jihad came to a close, Kell put a call out to his technicians and scientists to begin work on new designs to revitalize Wolf-in-Exile's infantry.

The Black Widow was one design put forward for the first call, one meant to become the new primary model for the Clan.  Being influenced by their Lyran allies and their preference for quad designs, the designers chose to make theirs a quad as well, one with a more arachnid appearance, thus giving them the opportunity to name the new unit for the legendary Black Widow.  Although this made it unable to make anti-mech swarm attacks, the improvement in firepower and speed was felt to make it worth it.  Wanting to match the combat profile of the Elemental, primary model submitted mounted twin  light machine guns as it's primary armament.  Technically, this gave it comparable firepower to the standard primary weapons on the original Elemental, with better range.  A modular turret was also mounted,  originally intended by the designers to mount missiles just as the Elemental had, only with the ability to switch between different types as the mission required.  However, in practice many units simply mount another direct fire weapon in it, which makes the mount last longer in a fight.

The design appears to be a success, being popular with most warriors it's assigned to.  However, as it cannot perform anti-mech attacks, there will still be a place for the classic Elemental as well as the Medium Standard for some time with the Wolves.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2011, 04:31:09 by Lazarus Jaguar »
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Black Widow Medium Armor
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2011, 15:30:12 »
Well, speed 4 is a very major disadvantage... Makes it 1 easier to hit than an Elemental. #P

Other than that the only problem seems to be that, IIRC, the missile launchers to take up 3 slots and you've only got 2 in the turret which makes them illegal. :(

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2011, 16:06:11 »
Silly Brit pointed out my mistake.  I retract the statement in this post.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2011, 23:22:37 by Lazarus Jaguar »
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2011, 21:02:17 »
Your turret is 10kg underweight, which means all bar your Adv SRM configurations are invalid. Making a turret configurable reduces its capacity by one slot, so you need to start with the turret one size bigger than your intended capacity, then apply the configurable modifiers (see TM p262) which adds 10kg, an extra slot for the turret mechanism and reduces the turret's capacity by 1 slot.

For a 3-slot capacity configurable turret, you start with a 4-slot standard standard turret (base mass 70kg), ending with a 80kg turret mechanism. You can actually see a canon example of this exact size turret in the Fenrir Battle Armor in TRO3058U.

(In my opinion, the official method is a little clumsy, it would be much easier to just say that the mechanism of a configurable turret requires 1 more slot and 20kg extra than a non-configurable turret of the same capacity)

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2011, 22:37:35 »
Just a FYI: The Exiles actually make all their own Battle Armor. They don't need to import Clan Medium or Elementals as their factories spit out enough for them to use.

Like the idea behind the suits but would have preferred LRM's to SRM's. Its almost criminal to not use Clan LRM's on Battle Armor.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2011, 22:45:12 »
Just a FYI: The Exiles actually make all their own Battle Armor. They don't need to import Clan Medium or Elementals as their factories spit out enough for them to use.

Like the idea behind the suits but would have preferred LRM's to SRM's. Its almost criminal to not use Clan LRM's on Battle Armor.

Oh, the information I have only has Battlemech facilities on Arc-Royal (well, that and the ComStar Nighthawk facility.  Which I had ideas for as well).  Didn't knwo the Exiles had BA too.  So how should I adjust my fluff now?

as for the LRMs, well, it's a configurable mount.  Install what you like :)

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2011, 22:53:06 »
Oh, the information I have only has Battlemech facilities on Arc-Royal (well, that and the ComStar Nighthawk facility.  Which I had ideas for as well).  Didn't knwo the Exiles had BA too.  So how should I adjust my fluff now?

as for the LRMs, well, it's a configurable mount.  Install what you like :)

Just change it slightly to reflect that it isn't so much resources but merely want their own special battle armor since everyone has them now. 

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2011, 23:21:26 »
Your turret is 10kg underweight, which means all bar your Adv SRM configurations are invalid. Making a turret configurable reduces its capacity by one slot, so you need to start with the turret one size bigger than your intended capacity, then apply the configurable modifiers (see TM p262) which adds 10kg, an extra slot for the turret mechanism and reduces the turret's capacity by 1 slot.

For a 3-slot capacity configurable turret, you start with a 4-slot standard standard turret (base mass 70kg), ending with a 80kg turret mechanism. You can actually see a canon example of this exact size turret in the Fenrir Battle Armor in TRO3058U.

(In my opinion, the official method is a little clumsy, it would be much easier to just say that the mechanism of a configurable turret requires 1 more slot and 20kg extra than a non-configurable turret of the same capacity)

!DOH!!

thanks, I now feel silly for getting that wrong.  Then again, this is the first one I ever attempted (and I don't have Heavy Metal, I'm doing this with the books and a pocket calculator).  Well, luckily there was excess mass available I can easily adjust that.  thank you for your input.  it has now been fixed

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2011, 23:38:59 »
As a suggestion, since you've now dropped one of the LMGs (going by the mass, although you've still got it as 2 weapons and using 2 slots), you could up the speed to 5 MP and still have a 225kg payload:

Code: [Select]
        Classic BattleTech Battle Armor Technical Readout
                            VALIDATED

Type/Model:    Black Widow 
Tech/Era:      Clan / 3067 / CBT Rules
Chassis Type:  Quad
Weight Class:  Medium Battle Armor (751 - 1,000 kg)
Rules:         Level 2, Standard design

Ground Speed:  54.0 km/h
Armor Type:    Standard

------------------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model:    Black Widow 
Equipment:                                          Slots    Mass
Chassis Type:  Medium Class Quad with HarJel          0       250
Motive System: Ground Movement (5 MP)                 0       120
Armor Type:    10 Points Standard                     0       250

Manipulators:
  Left Arm:    None                                   0         0
  Right Arm:   None                                   0         0

Weapons and Equipment                Loc     Shots  Slots    Mass
Configurable Turret Mount (3 slots)                   5        80
 (Anti-BattleMech Weapon Space)      Body            (1)        0
Light Machine Gun                    Body      50     1        75
TOTALS:                                               6       775
Slots & Mass Left:                                    1       225

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:     318,000 C-Bills
Battle Value:   31 (155 for 5)  Weapon Value: 7 (Ratio=.23)
Cost per BV:    10,258.06
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 1   MRDmg = 0   LRDmg = 0
Mechanized:     Cannot travel on any 'Mechs or Vehicles
Attacks:        Can not perform Swarm or Leg attacks
BattleForce2:   Class: IB   MP: 5   Armor/Structure: 3 / 0
                Damage PB/M/L: -/-/-   Overheat: 0
                Point Value: 2    Specials: car5

Created by HeavyMetal Battle Armor

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2011, 02:37:56 »
Any chance of you reposting your (withdrawn) design for those of us who missed it Please, as incorrect or not I (for one) would like to see it  [notworthy] .

Dave.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2011, 04:02:16 »
You could make two different models of the design. One (original?) with all fixed armament - twin LMGs and a missile launcher (SRM3 with 4 rounds?). And then make a second model that trades one LMG for a turret.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2011, 13:10:08 »
You could make two different models of the design. One (original?) with all fixed armament - twin LMGs and a missile launcher (SRM3 with 4 rounds?). \

Actually, that was the original idea I started with.  Then I started tinkering with it, deciding I wanted to be able to switch between various missile types (that's how the weights got messed up, too many changes along the way as I developed it).

« Last Edit: 11 September 2011, 13:13:24 by Lazarus Jaguar »