Register Register

Author Topic: Choosing armor type  (Read 2124 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Choosing armor type
« on: 13 February 2012, 09:16:38 »
So I've been toying with a medium Clan suit and I have 210 kg and 5 slots to play with. Now comes the weighty decision, I intended to have stealth armor of some variety. The suit is capable of mounting 7 points of basic stealth or 6 points of advanced stealth. Is it better to be capable of surviving a hit from a Clan medium laser or be more difficult to hit in the first place?

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
Re: Choosing armor type
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2012, 10:55:53 »
For me it would depend on the range of the BAs weapons and the expected opponent. If it is something that is going to have to get in close or consistently face clan opponents, then I'd go with the extra point of armor.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleman.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2012, 12:26:15 »
So I've been toying with a medium Clan suit and I have 210 kg and 5 slots to play with. Now comes the weighty decision, I intended to have stealth armor of some variety. The suit is capable of mounting 7 points of basic stealth or 6 points of advanced stealth. Is it better to be capable of surviving a hit from a Clan medium laser or be more difficult to hit in the first place?

Better to survive.  Advanced Stealth is great stuff but not at the expense of having one of the most basic weapons of the Clans one-shot your Elementals.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2012, 15:40:59 »
Remember that clan MPLs are 7-point hits as well, and their range and hit mod basically make a mockery of stealth armor anyways, so I'd go with the basic if you can get 7 points.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2012, 18:18:11 »
Done and done. I was playing with the idea of jump boosters and heavy battle claws with vibroblades becoming standard issue on all Nova Cat suits. The suit in question with this was a reworking of the Spook "Void IIC" I posted awhile back. It also lead to some interesting takes on the "Rabid" while staying true to the original.

I also had some fun speculating on how laser reflective armor for battle armor would look like for future Thunderbirds.  >:D

Register