Register Register

Author Topic: Non direct combat equipment for your BA: Heat Sensor, Imp Sensors, Both?  (Read 1493 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
busy entering my BA (many years old) designs into MML from word (the amount of mistakes from misreading to errata is crazy!) ...

Anyway: where do you stand on Heat Sensors vs Improved Sensors?

I know Imp. Sensors offer a much better level of technology and detail in fluff and game terms, but they have a range of 60 or 90 meters? Just 2-3 hexes.

Now the Heat Sensors reach out to 27 or 34 hexes (TM 345-6) ... 810 meters for IS and 1.02 km! for Clan. 

I would think having both for scout/recon/SAR orientation would be a good call. Ability to pick out potential targets from extreme range? Yes, please.  I mean call that reading in and get a fly-by/drive-by (vtol/hover/CF support here) to check things out.  Sure there's plenty of false-positives, but that's why you put your scouts into action.

Any other onions (opinions) or thoughts?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Under standard rules, Heat Sensors have no function whatsoever, whereas Improved Sensors act as short-ranged active probe. So, Improved Sensors.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Wolf72

• Captain
Under standard rules, Heat Sensors have no function whatsoever, whereas Improved Sensors act as short-ranged active probe. So, Improved Sensors.

Well that seals that part!

Fluff-wise (not sure about RPG wise); if I have the 20 kg to spend, I may.  Will definitely revisit some designs I have, might keep it just b/c.  It's like adding ammo to your non-tracking weapons, fluff wise (and RPG iirc) ammo can get tracked.

I *think* MML has (long range?) plans to incorporate adding ammo.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

assaultdoor

• Corporal
The heat sensor has a range of 9/18/27? I had not noticed that before. It's going on the SAR and sniper suits now.

Wolf72

• Captain
The heat sensor has a range of 9/18/27? I had not noticed that before. It's going on the SAR and sniper suits now.

no, no it's range is simply -/-/27!! ... -/-/34 for clan.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2020, 19:23:15 by Wolf72 »

KS #1357

assaultdoor

• Corporal
no, no it's range is imply -/-/27!! ... -/-/34 for clan.

Interesting. My copy says 9/18/27 for IS and -/-/34 for clan.

Wolf72

• Captain
Interesting. My copy says 9/18/27 for IS and -/-/34 for clan.

You Sir, are correct! ... next time I shall increase the size of my .pdf and pay more attention instead of reading it at 75%.  Also probably conflated both and since I looked at clan 2nd, then assumed both had no s/m ranges.

KS #1357

assaultdoor

• Corporal
You Sir, are correct! ... next time I shall increase the size of my .pdf and pay more attention instead of reading it at 75%.  Also probably conflated both and since I looked at clan 2nd, then assumed both had no s/m ranges.

One of those seems like an error, though. Either the IS one shouldn't have short and medium ranges or the clan one should. Let's see what the rules folks say.

Register