Register Register

Author Topic: Space Ops adaptation & Jump Jets  (Read 1041 times)

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
Space Ops adaptation & Jump Jets
« on: 05 February 2013, 16:29:03 »
Not much experience designing Battlearmour and trying to figure out if battlearmour with Space Ops Adaptation has to have jump jets?

If they dont have to have jump jets is there a good reason to fit them with jump jets as well as Space Ops Adaptation?

This will be for a Naval Infantry type battlearmour i.e. executing and defending boarding actions with limited dirtside duty.

thanks in advance for your help.

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: Space Ops adaptation & Jump Jets
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2013, 17:15:23 »
The Ailette exoskeleton has space operations adaptation but no jump MP, so apparently you can do that.

The reason you'd want jumpjets, though, is so you can move around in space.  The SpaceOps adaptation only makes maneuvering in space easier, it does not give you any motive power, so a suit without jumpjets is of much more limited use outside a spacecraft.  A suit with 3 jumpjets can generate 0.5G thrust (1 thrust point) which can let you use the suit for boarding other ships, since you can jump over to them, or for any other time the suit might need to exit the ship (if for some reason, you are fighting on the hull, you can be dislodged, and if that happens and you have no jump MP, you are pretty well screwed).

For a defensive design that will only be operating inside a ship, you can probably get away with not having jump jets.

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Space Ops adaptation & Jump Jets
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2013, 00:40:33 »
Bear in mind that most boarding of enemy WarShips and DropShips is likely going to be by marines delivered via small craft. There may be circumstances where marines might find themselves within reasonable range of an immobile target vessel, but without a small craft around, so they'd then require jump jets (with jump 3+), however it's maybe not going to be common enough to worry about.

Personally, I do like to have jump jets if possible, simply because they're so useful if your marines do find themselves in planetary combat, but they're not a 100% must have item, especially if you're also gaming the marine boarding points value.