Register Register

Author Topic: 3060 Kuritan TDR refit  (Read 846 times)

Sabelkatten

• Major
3060 Kuritan TDR refit
« on: 01 May 2021, 04:26:54 »
Saw "city fighter Thunderbolt". Had to see what kind of MRM I could fit. After all few things says "city fighting" like being able to remove a city block with one shot, right? ^-^

The mech in itself is just an old -5S with new heat sinks and armor, and most of the guns replaced with a MRM40.

Code: [Select]
Thunderbolt TDR-6K

Mass: 65 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 6,461,510 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,573

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 260 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1  MRM-40
    1  ER Large Laser
    3  Medium Lasers
    1  C3 Computer (Slave)
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                     104 points                6.50
Engine:             Fusion Engine                260                      13.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             13(26)                    3.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 RT, 1 RA
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 206                 11.50
    Armor Locations: 2 CT, 2 RT, 4 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
    CASE Locations: 1 LT                                                   0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     21           31       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  10       
                                           L/R Torso     15           23       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  7         
                                             L/R Arm     10           20       
                                             L/R Leg     15           28       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C3 Computer (Slave)                          HD        0         1         1.00
3 Medium Lasers                              RT        9         3         3.00
MRM-40                                       LT        12        7        12.00
ER Large Laser                               RA        12        2         5.00
@MRM-40 (18)                                 LT        -         3         3.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 7

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 16
4          4       4       1       0      3     1   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: C3S, CASE, MHQ1, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

fallen

• Master Sergeant
Re: 3060 Kuritan TDR refit
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2021, 15:15:06 »
It can run a little hot, but I would not want to turn a corner in a city and get that MRM40 to the face!  Nicely done!
No good deed goes unpunished.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2021, 04:42:28 »
As long as you lay off the ERLL at short range it should stay quite cool. Alpha striking's not recommended, thought! :D

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2021, 22:30:06 »
Nice. Once the Jihad rolls around you could foollow up with another refit that drops th ER LL for a LPPC, capacitor, and Apolo FCS for the MRM.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleman.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2021, 01:40:13 »
Possible, thought I think at that point we're more likely to look at new construction. Switch to ES and it should be possible to fit a SSRM rack as well. :)

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2021, 10:27:39 »
Possible, thought I think at that point we're more likely to look at new construction. Switch to ES and it should be possible to fit a SSRM rack as well. :)

Eh, there's never been a Kurita Thunderbolt variant up until now and there's no known production facility for them in Kurita space I don't think.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2021, 12:35:24 »
Haven't looked at that at all, really. I figured that having upgraded whatever old TDRs they had lying around the dracs wouldn't bother with more refits.

Might still see unique upgrades, of course.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2021, 13:46:10 »
I like it, any time you can combine SRM/LRM into a MRM+C3S is a solid option IMO.

You can use that MRM at long range if you have a C3 Spotter getting you short range numbers.

Otherwise you can keep it for the close range BOOM option w/ the ML spam
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2021, 08:51:30 »
Mehh... Doesn't run hot enough.
To the Kuritans, heat sinks are for the weak.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2021, 16:35:44 »
Just noticed something in the OP,  SK, you have the MLs in the wrong torso IIRC,  they are in the Left Torso on a T-Bolt.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2021, 16:48:24 »
Just noticed something in the OP,  SK, you have the MLs in the wrong torso IIRC,  they are in the Left Torso on a T-Bolt.

Yeah, the "classic" layout is three lasers in the LT and missiles in the RT.

However, confusion about this is understandable because it's sort of confusing which side of the Thunderbolt is which in general.

-The original Unseen artwork put the big missile rack on the left shoulder because that's where it is on the Ironfoot from Dougram, but had the LRMs in the RT stats-wise. It also, like the Ironfoot, had the cockpit offset to the right.

-The Project Phoenix art, and the MWO version, tried to "fix" the discrepancy between art and stats by putting the big missile launcher on the right where it's "supposed" to be, and moved the cockpit to the left side instead.

-However, the new Anthony Scroggins artwork, since it's inspired by the Unseen version, swapped them back again so the missile drum is on the left and the cockpit is to the right.  :))

This is setting aside the jumping Eridani Light Horse variants which have always had their LRM rack moved to the RT on their record sheet, which seems like an arbitrary change for the ELH to make in a refit but whatever.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 16:54:01 by Middcore »

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2021, 17:11:55 »
I prefer the original artwork. Plus it makes sense to put your two big guns on different sides of the mech, harder to take out both.

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2021, 17:14:30 »
I prefer the original artwork. Plus it makes sense to put your two big guns on different sides of the mech, harder to take out both.

Well, then the most logical thing would be to put the mediums in the left and the missiles in the right then, since that's how it looks in the original art... and there's never been any ambiguity the lasers are on the left in any version of the art.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2021, 18:16:45 »
Clearly the ERLL is in the RA & the 3 MLs are in the LT in almost all artwork, so, that isn't really debatable.

That said, the T-Bolt has had various Ammo all over the mech & the "big" launcher on both sides so that is up for consideration.

If I was designing it I'd put the Ammo wherever I could fit in the most "soak" crits.

I'd see how the MRM40 v/s MLs v/s DHS all match up to the amount of Ammo&Case & try to hit 12 in either torso & stick the ammo there.

If there were only 2 tons of ammo, I'd say they & Case should be in the LT w/ ML's & 2x DHS.   (Perfect 12 crits)

That there are 3 tons of ammo however, combined with the MRM being 7 crits makes an argument for the MRM & Ammo/Case all being in the RT.   (11 crits)

Being in LT w/ 3MLs while being 3 Tons + case means that w/ 1 DHS you hit 10 slots which is the least ideal.

Hmm, I might consider dropping 1 ton of ammo to get that nice LT set up & then add a SPL to the LA to keep the AI feel of the OG MGs (or SS-Flamer)

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2021, 18:37:37 »
That said, the T-Bolt has had various Ammo all over the mech & the "big" launcher on both sides so that is up for consideration.

That's true, the lead design 5S has the 15 launcher in the Right Torso, and the Eridani Jumper 5E has the 10 launcher in the Left.  Ironically, the new mini has the big launcher on the Left Torso.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2021, 19:17:25 »
Ironically, the new mini has the big launcher on the Left Torso.

This is what I was saying above.  ;D

But if we take the weight of rocket launchers to suggest that most of the weight of traditional missile systems is the ammunition feed, then it's slightly more plausible that the part on the left shoulder in the Unseen and recent art is just the launch tubes and most of the actual mechanisms of the system are on the right. Although why you would put the ammo in the middle to feed it through the right torso to get launched from the left torso I have no idea, but BattleMech ammo feed systems are something it's best not to think too hard about anyway.  ::)

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2021, 21:42:21 »
This is what I was saying above.  ;D

But if we take the weight of rocket launchers to suggest that most of the weight of traditional missile systems is the ammunition feed, then it's slightly more plausible that the part on the left shoulder in the Unseen and recent art is just the launch tubes and most of the actual mechanisms of the system are on the right. Although why you would put the ammo in the middle to feed it through the right torso to get launched from the left torso I have no idea, but BattleMech ammo feed systems are something it's best not to think too hard about anyway.  ::)

The 3rd Edition model had the missile launcher angled across the back going from the right side to the left.  Very odd set up especially when the original 3025 TRO presented the data for the 5S, but showed a picture of the 5SE (No SRM-2 ports or Machine Gun barrels)!

And yeah, Feed systems are odd.  You can stick the ammo in the left foot and the gun in the right arm.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2021, 22:48:26 »
You can make an argument the TRO3025 art is supposed to be the 5SE but I don't think so. As far as I recall none of the other art in that book depicted variants other than the "main" one. I think the SRM 2 isn't visible because no such weapon is visible on the Dougram "Ironfoot" Duane Loose was using as a model (not the only "invisible" weapons in TRO3025 art) and while the Ironfoot actually does have left wrist machine guns that should be visible I'm inclined to think he just overlooked them.

The number of tubes on the shoulder missile rack doesn't help us, because it's not 15 and it's not 10... it's 9. I guess if you want to argue 9 is closer to the 5SE's 10 than the 5S's 15 you've got me there, but I personally am 99% sure that Duane just aped the 9 tubes on the Ironfoot's rocket launcher without giving it a bit of further thought.

(If it wasn't already clear, I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Loose's art as a lot of other fans do, in general. :P )

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2021, 09:57:58 »
(If it wasn't already clear, I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Loose's art as a lot of other fans do, in general. :P )

In this case, I think the art is fine, as it was done before setting the stats, they just put the wrong stats as the primary?

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2021, 14:17:22 »
The 3rd Edition model had the missile launcher angled across the back going from the right side to the left.  Very odd set up especially when the original 3025 TRO presented the data for the 5S, but showed a picture of the 5SE (No SRM-2 ports or Machine Gun barrels)!

You can make an argument the TRO3025 art is supposed to be the 5SE but I don't think so. As far as I recall none of the other art in that book depicted variants other than the "main" one. I think the SRM 2 isn't visible because no such weapon is visible on the Dougram "Ironfoot" Duane Loose was using as a model (not the only "invisible" weapons in TRO3025 art) and while the Ironfoot actually does have left wrist machine guns that should be visible I'm inclined to think he just overlooked them.

The number of tubes on the shoulder missile rack doesn't help us, because it's not 15 and it's not 10... it's 9. I guess if you want to argue 9 is closer to the 5SE's 10 than the 5S's 15 you've got me there, but I personally am 99% sure that Duane just aped the 9 tubes on the Ironfoot's rocket launcher without giving it a bit of further thought.

IIRC their are some "ridges" on the Left Arm where the MGs are supposed to be,  I always took that to be covered ports that slide back to reveal the barrels like many of the missile mechs, IE, Archer/Longbow/Crusader.
You have the same issue with the "wrist" MGs on the Battlemaster & Stinger & a whole horde of 3025 mechs in general.
Then there is the Warhammer that has EXTRA barrels where the ML/SL/MG are supposed to be too.

That's what happens when a good chunk of your artwork is based on minis from other games.

It's not even like it was 3025 exclusive since you get the same issue with the T-Wolf LRM racks too.

I never took it to be the SE model. 
Honestly, we didn't even have real stats for many of the 3025 variants just brief descriptions that didn't account for the full tonnage of the change mentioned  (IE.. Javelin, Firestarter, Centurion, Trebuchet, Crusader, T-Bolt, Victor, Banshee, Atlas,  etc etc.)

Register