Register Register

Author Topic: BLACKSUN (NIGHTSTAR IIC)  (Read 538 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
BLACKSUN (NIGHTSTAR IIC)
« on: 10 November 2022, 09:55:42 »

When the Wolf Empire took over Solaris VII, alongside the gladiatorial arenas, the Empire inherited the ruins of the Norse-Storm Technologies factory that had produced the Nightstar assault mech and Maelstrom heavy mech in the years before the Jihad.  After decades of lean production under the misguided direction of Khan Vlad Ward in the former Wolf Occupation Zone, the ilKhan was more interested in the Norse-Storm facility than the arenas.  With investment and technical assistance from the Wolf Empire, Norse-Storm would resurrect its Solaris VII operation and produce a highly survivable, Clantech version of the Nightstar called the Blacksun.  The Blacksun (or Nightstar IIC), alongside other projects like the Fearsome (Awesome IIC) and Fomorian (Banshee IIC) and purchases of the Slaughter (Stalker IIC) and Wargod (Battlemaster IIC) from Clan Sea Fox, would form the bulwark needed to protect the Empire and the armored spearheads necessary to conquer Terra.

The Blacksun takes a layered approach to survivability, incorporating a Chameleon Light Polarization System, 24 tons of Hardened Armor, and a chassis made of Reinforced Structure.  Hard to hit, hard to penetrate, and hard to damage, the Blacksun’s battlefield longevity is unparalleled.  Despite such heavy investment in the Blacksun’s defensive capabilities, Norse-Storm and the Wolf Empire did not shirk the Blacksun’s offensive potential.  Dual Clan-grade ER PPCs and a Clan-spec Gauss Cannon deliver heavy armor penetration and decapitations at long ranges that complement the Blacksun’s low mobility.  With 19 freezers, the Blacksun can fire its trio of main guns while cruising with its Chameleon LPS engaged, without heat buildup.  Twin Clantech ER Medium Lasers and a Pulse Micro Laser provides backup and anti-infantry firepower.

Ironically, Lyran attempts to retake worlds from the Wolf Empire have foundered on the “wall-of-steel” tactics employed by the Blacksun and similar Wolf “super-assault” mechs.  Likewise, after the Blacksun’s success on Terra, especially in comparison to the suboptimal Alpha Wolf, the ilClan is considering an omnimech based on the Blacksun and the early retirement of the Alpha Wolf.

Code: [Select]
                 BattleMech Technical Readout

Name/Model:           BLACKSUN (NIGHTSTAR IIC)
Tonnage:              95
Configuration:        Biped BattleMech
Technology Base:      Clan (Mixed)
Era/Year:             ilClan/3154
Rules:                Advanced
Chassis:              Norse-GM Heavy Reinforced USR
Power Plant:          285 Extralight
Walking Speed:        32 kph
Maximum Speed:        43 kph
Jump Jets:            None
    Jump Capacity:    None
Armor:                Durallex Hardened w/ Chameleon LPS
Armament:             
    1 Gauss Cannon
    2 ER PPC
    2 ER Medium Lasers
    1 Pulse Micro Laser
Manufacturer:         Norse-Storm Technologies, Inc.
    Primary Factory:  Solaris VII
Communications:       Tek BattleCom
Targeting & Tracking: DLK Type Phased Array Sensors

================================================================================================
Equipment                                                             Mass                     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure:                         Reinforced                19.00             
Engine:                                   285 Extralight               8.50               
    Walking MP:                                 3                                       
    Running MP:                                 4                               
    Jumping MP:                                 0                                         
Heat Sinks:                                  19 (38)                   9.00             
Gyro:                                       Standard                   3.00               
Cockpit:                                    Standard                   3.00                     
Armor Factor:                               192 (384)                 24.00             
    Type:                                Hardened w/ CLPS                                           

Internal         Armor     
                                    Structure        Value     
    Head:                               3              9       
    Center Torso:                      30             25
    Center Torso (rear):                              10
    R/L Torso:                         20             21
    R/L Torso (rear):                                  8
    R/L Arm:                           16             20
    R/L Leg:                           20             25

================================================================================================
Weapons and Ammo                                       Location          Critical     Tonnage   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER PPC                                                    RA                2          6.00
ER PPC                                                    LA                2          6.00
ER Medium Laser                                           RA                1          1.00
ER Medium Laser                                           LA                1          1.00
Gauss Cannon                                              RT                6         12.00
Ammo (Gauss) 16                                           CT                2          2.00
Pulse Micro Laser                                          H                1          0.50
Chameleon Light Polarization System                       **                6          0.00
**CLPS occupies one crit slot each in RT, RA, RL, LT, LA, LL.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: BLACKSUN (NIGHTSTAR IIC)
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2022, 01:44:58 »
Not sure if it's got the critical slots for it, but I'd rather have FL armor over Hardened on this mech.  Doesn't feel like it's quite got sufficient tonnage to devote to Hardened.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2022, 02:08:06 »
Not sure if it's got the critical slots for it, but I'd rather have FL armor over Hardened on this mech. 

Only 9 crits open so not enough unless we dump WSIWYG and remove the hand/lower arm actuators.

Doesn't feel like it's quite got sufficient tonnage to devote to Hardened.

The 384 effective armor points of 192 Hardened is a 31% increase over the 293 points that a 95-toner can maximally carry using normal armors, and an 11% increase over maxed out Ferro-Lamellor.  So unlike, say, the Amarok, Hardened is a good choice here by the numbers.  But there’s certainly nothing wrong with Ferro-Lamellor, either.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2022, 02:14:42 »
Yeah, with Hardened's drawbacks I like mechs to devote enough tonnage to get at least +50% protection.  Personal preference.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2022, 02:26:42 »
Yeah, with Hardened's drawbacks I like mechs to devote enough tonnage to get at least +50% protection.  Personal preference.

Fair choice.  I should also mention that Ferro-Lam was also never in the trade space here cause the Ferro-Lam/Reinforced combo has been done in the canon (Osteon), while a Hardened/Reinforced combo has never appeared.  And I was trying to push the defensive burden of these designs (Hardened weighs more than Ferro-Lam) while still maintaining solid offensive capabilities.  Ferro-Lam was too easy, as it were.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2022, 10:17:29 »
Fair enough.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2022, 01:26:19 »
I admit, although I love the reinforced/hardened combos in principle, in practice I have a hard time getting on board with a 'Mech that can't even pull a +2 TMM at a run (I already think 3/5 is very nearly too slow). I'd love to see your take on my preferred variant of the Nightstar, the 9FC, in this mode, if that's even doable.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2022, 10:43:42 »
I admit, although I love the reinforced/hardened combos in principle, in practice I have a hard time getting on board with a 'Mech that can't even pull a +2 TMM at a run (I already think 3/5 is very nearly too slow).

3/5 mechs already have a tough time pulling a +2 TMM — they can only do it on a straight line run with no terrain.  So it’s not that big a loss.  And the Blacksun makes up for it with CLPS and enough freezers to keep it turned on all the time.  That will provide a +1 or +2 at range, on top of the +1 for 3-4 hexes of movement.

I'd love to see your take on my preferred variant of the Nightstar, the 9FC, in this mode, if that's even doable.

I’m not sure it’s doable after poking at the numbers a little, but maybe if I relax the constraints a bit with Ferro-Lam or Ballistic-Reinforced instead of Hardened Armor.  Or maybe play with SB Gauss or smaller LB-X cannons.  I’ll PM if I come up with something worth posting.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2022, 12:45:56 »
The CLPS makes this a very workable design

Reinforced and Hardened is full on Zombie territory

Triple head capping isn't quite hellstar good but still very nice and you've got the back up guns

I hate the speed loss but without FerroLam which you don't have crits for you can't make it much tougher

I love the names and the idea of using established designs win hearts and minds of locals and keep minis relevant
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.