Register Register

Author Topic: Bomber LAM  (Read 595 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Bomber LAM
« on: 19 April 2017, 15:20:58 »
For no particular reason, i wanted a bomber LAM. (It got named Bomber because i had no other ideas.) I'd fluff this as a Word of Blake experiment.

Composite structure and small cockpit to free weight. Has extra ton of fuel. 6xIJJ for speed in fighter mode. Double heat sinks because why not.
Armament consist of single IS ER Medium Laser in the head and ten Bomb Bays, protected with CASE II. The CASE IIs are a bit superfluous and could be replaced with two more Bomb Bays.

Has heavy armor for its size.

In case it is not obvious, this thing is intended to be nothing more than a bomber. And pretty sure ten bombs at 6/9 speed in fighter mode is pretty good though i will admit i'm unfamiliar with aerospace combat and ground attacks in general.

Code: [Select]
Bomber BOM-13-LAM
IS experimental
55 tons 
BV: 810
Cost: 6,035,648 C-bills

Movement: 4/6/6
Engine: 220
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Small Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 91 (Composite)
Armor: 176/185
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               18       27
Center Torso (rear)                  8
Right Torso                13       20
Right Torso (rear)                   6
Left Torso                 13       20
Left Torso (rear)                    6
Right Arm                   9       16
Left Arm                    9       16
Right Leg                  13       24
Left Leg                   13       24

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
ER Medium Laser                 HD     5

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Bomb Bay                        LT
Bomb Bay                        RT
CASE II                         LT
CASE II                         RT
Extended Fuel Tank (1 ton)      CT
Composite                      None
« Last Edit: 19 April 2017, 15:24:39 by Empyrus »
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Nester64

• Private
Re: Bomber LAM
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2017, 19:10:41 »
Well, it's definitely what you set out to create, but if this is a pure bomber I don't see the need for it to be a LAM at all, since it dosen't have much in the way of armament on the ground.

I mean, it could be a sneaky way to get a ordinance close to enemy before launch, but a stealthy artillery mech or vee could do much the same without putting itself in near as much danger.

I would start by giving it a little more in the way of non-bomb weaponry to make it less vulnerable on the ground.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2017, 19:47:33 »
Well, to be honest, LAMs kinda suck at ground as they are. I was going for a pure bomber because i wanted to see if it would be possible. This LAM could also then land a hide in a forest or something. (Besides, Composite Structure makes this one a poor combatant in general.)
As for ground weaponry, i didn't mention but i kinda thought the LAM could be loaded with Rocket "bombs" (they can be used on ground as weapons per IO) and use them for ground attacks. A pure hit and run 'Mech when it isn't bombing something.

Also, i was thinking of an alternate BTU where there's no ASFs, only LAMs and 'Mechs (maybe QuadVees and ProtoMechs too, maybe Battle Armor). Don't ask why. Needed to see if a LAM could replace a bomber.

Anyway, here's a variant with slightly more ground firepower. Also got turned into a recon and spotter unit because i felt it was interesting.
Has Beagle Active Probe and TAG. ERLL and ERML for combat, along with 6 Bomb Bays. Lost a ton of armor and half a ton of fuel, and both CASE IIs.

Code: [Select]
Bomber BOM-14-LAM
IS experimental
55 tons 
BV: 1,005
Cost: 6,175,148 C-bills

Movement: 4/6/6
Engine: 220
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Small Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 91 (Composite)
Armor: 160/185
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               18       24
Center Torso (rear)                  7
Right Torso                13       18
Right Torso (rear)                   5
Left Torso                 13       18
Left Torso (rear)                    5
Right Arm                   9       15
Left Arm                    9       15
Right Leg                  13       22
Left Leg                   13       22

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
ER Large Laser                  RT    12
TAG                             LT     0
ER Medium Laser                 HD     5

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Composite                      None
Standard                       None
Beagle Active Probe             LT
Extended Fuel Tank (0.5 tons)   CT
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2017, 20:52:02 »
Bomb bays can also be used for RL10 pods, which can also be used in AirMech and BattleMech modes, which is handy, and would give you a ground combat punch.  I'd also love if you could carry spare handheld weapons in bomb bays.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2017, 21:16:53 »
Well, to be honest, LAMs kinda suck at ground as they are. I was going for a pure bomber because i wanted to see if it would be possible. This LAM could also then land a hide in a forest or something. (Besides, Composite Structure makes this one a poor combatant in general.)
As for ground weaponry, i didn't mention but i kinda thought the LAM could be loaded with Rocket "bombs" (they can be used on ground as weapons per IO) and use them for ground attacks. A pure hit and run 'Mech when it isn't bombing something.

Also, i was thinking of an alternate BTU where there's no ASFs, only LAMs and 'Mechs (maybe QuadVees and ProtoMechs too, maybe Battle Armor). Don't ask why. Needed to see if a LAM could replace a bomber.

Anyway, here's a variant with slightly more ground firepower. Also got turned into a recon and spotter unit because i felt it was interesting.
Has Beagle Active Probe and TAG. ERLL and ERML for combat, along with 6 Bomb Bays. Lost a ton of armor and half a ton of fuel, and both CASE IIs.

That looks a lot better! Shame about the CASE, but a LAM's best defense is its agility, anyway.

In a universe without ASFs I think your first design would fill the niche of a bomber well enough, but I like revision a lot, actually.

Register