Register Register

Author Topic: Question on Battlemechs and Industrialmechs as infantry carriers  (Read 488 times)

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
Not a design but a design question, if you allow me:  is it possible to use cargo space in Battlemechs and Industrialmechs to carry infantry and BA?

CVB

• Warrant Officer
Re: Question on Battlemechs and Industrialmechs as infantry carriers
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2021, 15:38:42 »
Quote from: Tech Manual, 4th printing, p. 239
BattleMechs may only carry Standard, Liquid, or Insulated Cargo Bays; IndustrialMechs may only carry Standard, Liquid, Insulated, or Container Cargo Bays; ProtoMechs may not carry Transport Bays of any kind.
*"But we don't play Battletech to have Simple" - NavPoint

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Karack Blackstone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2021, 16:23:46 »
Clan Omnimechs may transport one Elemental Point each with standard carry hardpoints specifically for this purpose.

wesharrisb

• Warrant Officer
  • 8-Bit Battletech
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2021, 18:39:43 »
Clan Omnimechs may transport one Elemental Point each with standard carry hardpoints specifically for this purpose.

As can IS omnimechs. It's one of the perks.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2021, 22:51:07 »
The other way to look at it is comparing it to putting a bottle of champagne in a backpack, going for a jog, then opening the bottle.

The personnel carried in the Mech will have a similar reaction when they get out

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2021, 23:04:47 »
What’s odd about that is the Fire Moth was originally intended to be an infantry transport, with a detachable pod carrying infantry slung under each arm.

Also, prior to the errata, Tech Manual permitted infantry bays/compartments from IndustrialMechs. Tech Manual page 239 listed 1 critical slot per ton for infantry bays or compartments on ‘Mechs, separately stating BattleMechs can’t carry transport bays.  Errata later changed the restrictions to what @CVB posted.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2021, 00:07:08 »
… the Fire Moth was originally intended to be an infantry transport, with a detachable pod carrying infantry slung under each arm.
:yikes: Where'd you see this?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2021, 00:18:03 »
Tech Readout 3050 Updates
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2021, 08:39:56 »
What’s odd about that is the Fire Moth was originally intended to be an infantry transport, with a detachable pod carrying infantry slung under each arm.

Also, prior to the errata, Tech Manual permitted infantry bays/compartments from IndustrialMechs. Tech Manual page 239 listed 1 critical slot per ton for infantry bays or compartments on ‘Mechs, separately stating BattleMechs can’t carry transport bays.  Errata later changed the restrictions to what @CVB posted.

This is what confused me:  I found something related to infantry bays in IndustrialMechs. I can imagine interesting designs of Quad Infantry Carriers Battlemechs (no light sabers, however) ...

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2021, 09:06:23 »
I could be wrong, but I thought that mechs could carry anything as external cargo, infantry included, they just die if the mech takes any damage at a rate of 1 ton of cargo per point of damage, and they slow the mech down, per external cargo rules.  The prohibition was just for internal cargo being used for infantry, right?

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2021, 09:23:02 »
Sounds like a house rule to me, not sure I've seen anything like that in the rulebooks.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2021, 17:15:44 »
I'm still confused by the apparent ability of a 'mech to pick up an inert suit of BA and carry it without penalty in a hand, but the minute you turn it on, it's illegal...

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2021, 00:05:32 »
Sounds like a house rule to me, not sure I've seen anything like that in the rulebooks.

Nope, not a house rule (Unless Errata'd), total warfare page 261 'if the unprotected cargo is infantry, treat the damage as if from another infantry unit' so each damage kills 1 guy.  Otherwise each point of damage destroys 1 ton of cargo.

NOTE: on the same page mechs are prohibited from picking up units--to load an infantry unit as unprotected cargo, you must follow the 3 turn loading procedure (reduced if other infantry are helping); you cant use the 'mech lifting things by simply ending their movement in the hex' rule to pick up 20 tons of infantry, they must be packed up nice and neat for 3 turns before a Mech can walk off with them.

So, a dasher could be modified to carry cargo on slings, it would require 3 turns and some infantry, and if the dasher has to drop the cargo in combat on a 1-3 they are destroyed.  Not at all a good transport option, more like a 'this firebase is under attack, get the fastest mech and get the civilians out of here' option.

CVB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2021, 07:05:14 »
I'm still confused by the apparent ability of a 'mech to pick up an inert suit of BA and carry it without penalty in a hand, but the minute you turn it on, it's illegal...

I'm even more confused that you can pick up and carry an active, enemy suit, vehicle or even 'mech(!) (TO:AR p. 92), even exchanging fire while carrying it, but not one of your own side...
Feels a bit like carrying a rabid wolverine in your arms is easier than carrying your own pet dog.

Small loophole: active friendly units can be carried when they were attached to lift hoist(s) before the scenario begins.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

SlightlyIrritatedCat

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2021, 09:49:20 »
This may be one of those situations where it's better to simply ignore the inconsistent part of the rule than deal with it.  It's not like there are game police running around making us follow RAW exactly, if they make a mistake with the rules ignore them and do it whatever way works for your group.

CVB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2021, 11:21:22 »
The other way to look at it is comparing it to putting a bottle of champagne in a backpack, going for a jog, then opening the bottle.

The personnel carried in the Mech will have a similar reaction when they get out

I think I would rather sit in the cargo bed of a pickup during an off-road drive than try to cling to the doorknobs, roll bar and trailer hitch (aka Mechanized BattleArmor)  ;D

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2021, 12:56:15 »
I think I would rather sit in the cargo bed of a pickup during an off-road drive than try to cling to the doorknobs, roll bar and trailer hitch (aka Mechanized BattleArmor)  ;D

depends on if you can lock your joints to keep from being shaken off, and if you've got a reliable safety harness.  (Suspects BA have both built in).  The basics here are more along the lines of 'what would be necessary to keep your pbi from being shaken like an abused baby?'

because it's as mentioned previously:

One of the units that was initially fluffed as doing this, was the superheavies-and the derision on the board from this suggestion was thick, because you're expecting infantrymen to handle being swung about like that fair-ride "The hammer" and still be combat capable when they step out, instead of slick with vomit and disorientation from the impact.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

CVB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2021, 13:49:15 »
I would assume that a 'mech's arms can be stabilized by a large degree (otherwise, how could it hold a stream of AC shells on target?), so the ride in an arm mounted pod could actually be smoother than in some ground vehicles.

When we could do  this in the 90s, what will a myomer suspended, gyro stabilized infantry pod be able to do in a thousend years?

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2021, 16:40:07 »
I'm even more confused that you can pick up and carry an active, enemy suit, vehicle or even 'mech(!) (TO:AR p. 92), even exchanging fire while carrying it, but not one of your own side...
Feels a bit like carrying a rabid wolverine in your arms is easier than carrying your own pet dog.

Small loophole: active friendly units can be carried when they were attached to lift hoist(s) before the scenario begins.
:o

Now I'm even MORE confused, especially when you consider that if a single 'mech could carry a single suit of BA without penalty, you have a perfect reason for 4-trooper squads of IS BA...