Register Register

Author Topic: SPIRIT BEAR (KODIAK III) & GHOST BEAR (KODIAK III 2) TOTEM ASSAULT MECHS  (Read 706 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow

Named after a white subspecies of black bear native to the North American continent on Terra and sacred to indigenous peoples there, the Spirit Bear is the third major incarnation of the Kodiak totem assault mech.  Commissioned by the Ghost Bear Loremaster in the wake of the Rasalhague Dominion Civil War, the Spirit Bear applies the Kontio’s innovations to the Kodiak’s assault chassis, creating a truly frightening melee combatant and shock unit.

Unlike the purely cosmetic “claws” sported by the Kodiak, Kodiak II, and their variants, the Claws on the Spirit Bear are functioning, dangerous weapons capable of puncturing enemy armor with carbon-wound, diamond monofilament blades laser-sharpened to a molecular edge.  As on the Kontio, the Spirit Bear’s Claws are actuated by Triple-Strength Myomers, effectively doubling their damage potential.  Each Claw strike is nearly equivalent to a HAG-30 shot concentrated in one location and carries approximately a 17-percent chance of decapitating enemy battlemechs.  A Claw that misses a Cockpit is still capable of stripping the armor from the arms or torsos of heavy and even low-end assault mechs.

The Spirit Bear is built around the Kodiak II’s Alshain LVL Endo-Steel Chassis and powered by the same 400-class Extralight Engine.  The Spirit Bear adds a muon-catalyzed Supercharger, which, in combination with its Triple-Strength Myomer, lets the Spirit Bear charge opponents at over 100 kph.  Once engaged, opponents must penetrate over 18 tons of armor, more than the original Kodiak, before damaging the Spirit Bear.

Despite the tonnage and space sunk into its Claws and Triple-Strength Myomer, the Spirit Bear mounts a potent weapons array, including an ER PPC, a Pulse Large Laser, and five SRM four-packs (or 20 SRM launch tubes, total).  Twin ER Micro Lasers provide precise thermal management for TSM activation and maintenance.  With 16 freezers, the Spirit Bear can alpha strike, plus or minus these Micro Lasers, one SRM four-pack, and cruising or flanking movement, to activate its TSM.

Code: [Select]
                 BattleMech Technical Readout

Name/Model:           SPIRIT BEAR (KODIAK III)
Tonnage:              100
Configuration:        Biped BattleMech
Technology Base:      Clan (Mixed)
Era/Year:             ilClan/3155
Rules:                Experimental
Chassis:              Alshain LXL Endo-Steel
Power Plant:          400 Extralight
Walking Speed:        43 kph (54 kph)
Maximum Speed:        64 kph (108 kph)
Jump Jets:            None
    Jump Capacity:    None
Armor:                Compound 12A3 w/ CASE II
Armament:             
    1 ER PPC
    1 Pulse Large Laser
    5 SRM-4s
    2 ER Micro Lasers
Manufacturer:         Bergman Industries
    Primary Factory:  Alshain
Communications System:  Garret L25
Targeting and Tracking System:  RCA Instatrac Mk XIII

================================================================================================
Equipment                                                             Mass                     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure:                         Endo-Steel                 5.00           
Engine:                                   400 Extralight              26.50           
    Walking MP:                                 4 (5)                                     
    Running MP:                                 6 (10)                           
    Jumping MP:                                 0                                         
Heat Sinks:                                  16 (32)                   6.00
    Heat Sinks in Engine:                       6       
Gyro:                                       Standard                   4.00       
Cockpit:                                    Standard                   3.00                 
Armor Factor:                                  296                    18.50           
    Type:                              Standard w/ CASE II                                         

Internal         Armor     
                                    Structure        Value     
    Head:                               3              9       
    Center Torso:                      31             46
    Center Torso (rear):                              15
    R/L Torso:                         21             31
    R/L Torso (rear):                                 10
    R/L Arm:                           17             31
    R/L Leg:                           21             41

Arm Actuators:  RS, RUA, RLA, LS, LUA, LLA

================================================================================================
Weapons and Ammo                                       Location          Critical     Tonnage   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claw                                                      RA                7          7.00
SRM-4                                                     RA                1          1.00
Claw                                                      LA                7          7.00
SRM-4                                                     LA                1          1.00
SRM-4                                                     LT                1          1.00
SRM-4                                                     LT                1          1.00
Ammo (SRM) 50                                             LT                2          2.00
CASE II                                                   LT                1          0.50
ER PPC                                                    RT                2          6.00
Pulse Large Laser                                         CT                2          6.00
ER Micro Laser                                           RT(R)              1          0.25
ER Micro Laser                                           LT(R)              1          0.25
Supercharger                                              RT                1          3.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    RA                1          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    LA                1          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    RL                2          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    LL                2          0.00

A subtle variant on the Spirit Bear, the Ghost Bear allows Ghost Bear mechwarriors to truly attack like their totem animal.  The Ghost Bear trades the Spirit Bear’s Pulse Large Laser for an ER Large Laser and Angel ECM Suite.  With the Angel Suite, even the massive Ghost Bear assault mech can hide from nearly any enemy sensor, then launch its dual Claw strikes on opponents from ambush, just as real Ghost Bears hide in snow drifts for days to ambush passing prey.  However, such totem attacks remain rare, and the Ghost Bear is otherwise equipped to engage in the same powerful, unnerving charges as the Spirit Bear, where it uses the Angel Suite to obscure its exact position from enemy fire and screen friendly units following behind.

The remaining de facto leader of the Ghost Bear touman and the Rasalhagian peoples after the Rasalhague Dominion Civil War, Bear Loremaster and New Norse Volva Weth Jorgensson pilots a Ghost Bear painted with the pelt and skull from her Clawing Ritual and an assortment of runes from her adopted faith.  An old woman before the Civil War, she rarely takes the field now, but remains a fearsome war leader and has orchestrated a joint invasion of the Draconis Combine with the Snow Ravens, ostensibly in the name of the ilClan but without the ilKhan’s direction.  So far, Spirit Bear and Ghost Bear totem assault mechs are beating DCMS samurai at their own game, knocking aside typical DCMS charges with overwhelming counter-charges of their own.  But there are rumors of a dark side to the new Bear/Rasalhague fusion under Loremaster Weth, with former DCMS bondsmen and even some Combine citizens reportedly sacrificed in bloody rituals or sold into Periphery slavery if they fail to integrate.

Code: [Select]
                 BattleMech Technical Readout

Name/Model:           GHOST BEAR (KODIAK III 2)
Tonnage:              100
Configuration:        Biped BattleMech
Technology Base:      Clan (Mixed)
Era/Year:             ilClan/3155
Rules:                Experimental
Chassis:              Alshain LXL Endo-Steel
Power Plant:          400 Extralight
Walking Speed:        43 kph (54 kph)
Maximum Speed:        64 kph (108 kph)
Jump Jets:            None
    Jump Capacity:    None
Armor:                Compound 12A3 w/ CASE II
Armament:             
    1 ER PPC
    1 ER Large Laser
    5 SRM-4s
    2 ER Micro Lasers
Manufacturer:         Bergman Industries
    Primary Factory:  Alshain
Communications System:  Garret L25 w/ Angel ECM
Targeting and Tracking System:  RCA Instatrac Mk XIII

Equipment                                                             Mass                     
Internal Structure:                         Endo-Steel                 5.00           
Engine:                                   400 Extralight              26.50           
    Walking MP:                                 4 (5)                                     
    Running MP:                                 6 (10)                           
    Jumping MP:                                 0                                         
Heat Sinks:                                  16 (32)                   6.00
    Heat Sinks in Engine:                       6       
Gyro:                                       Standard                   4.00       
Cockpit:                                    Standard                   3.00                 
Armor Factor:                                  296                    18.50           
    Type:                              Standard w/ CASE II                                         

Internal         Armor     
                                    Structure        Value     
    Head:                               3              9       
    Center Torso:                      31             46
    Center Torso (rear):                              15
    R/L Torso:                         21             31
    R/L Torso (rear):                                 10
    R/L Arm:                           17             31
    R/L Leg:                           21             41

Arm Actuators:  RS, RUA, RLA, LS, LUA, LLA

Weapons and Ammo                                       Location          Critical     Tonnage   
Claw                                                      RA                7          7.00
SRM-4                                                     RA                1          1.00
Claw                                                      LA                7          7.00
SRM-4                                                     LA                1          1.00
Ammo (SRM) 50                                             LT                2          2.00
CASE II                                                   LT                1          0.50
ER PPC                                                    RT                2          6.00
ER Large Laser                                            CT                1          4.00
ER Micro Laser                                           RT(R)              1          0.25
ER Micro Laser                                           LT(R)              1          0.25
Supercharger                                              RT                1          3.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    RA                1          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    LA                1          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    RL                2          0.00
Triple-Strength Myomer                                    LL                2          0.00
Angel ECM Suite                                           RT                2          2.00
« Last Edit: 05 December 2022, 00:44:47 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Two claws dealing 28 damage each is enough to ruin any mechs day.  There seems to be no plausible defense against a headkill there other than luck and keep away. 

I believe there are a couple issues to tweak:
(a) You seem to have tonnage for but not specified a supercharger?
(b) The use of claws is plausibly incompatible with the use of arm SRM4s, just as per a punch.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
Two claws dealing 28 damage each is enough to ruin any mechs day.  There seems to be no plausible defense against a headkill there other than luck and keep away.

The downside to Claws is that they hit slightly less often (+1) than regular punch attacks.  So these are not designs for greenhorns, but presumably the Bears wouldn’t be putting sibkin in totem mechs, anyway.

There’s also no getting around the fact that the Spirit Bear and Ghost Bear lack the massed ER Medium Laser firepower of the original Kodiak and certain variants.  Although the rest of the firepower is passable, paying 14 tons and 14 crit slots in the arms for those Claws forces the Spirit Bear and Ghost Bear to give up the Kodiak’s “Nova fists” and there’s nothing that can really replace that, especially if maintaining WSIWYG.

But the Kodiak has long begged for a variant with actual (not cosmetic) claws, and the Kontio now provides the precedent.  And for Clan “Berserkers”, they’re not bad.

I believe there are a couple issues to tweak:
(a) You seem to have tonnage for but not specified a supercharger?

Thanks.  I somehow forgot to list the Superchargers.  Fixed above.

(b) The use of claws is plausibly incompatible with the use of arm SRM4s, just as per a punch.

Yeah, they can’t fire two of their SRM-4s if they’re punching.  The arm-mounted SRM-4s are there for WSIWYG and to help activate the TSM.  But once the TSM is activated, it can be maintained without firing the arm-mounted SRM-4s.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
...the Kodiak has long begged for a variant with actual (not cosmetic) claws...
Yeah, agreed.
Yeah, they can’t fire two of their SRM-4s if they’re punching.  The arm-mounted SRM-4s are there for WSIWYG and to help activate the TSM.  But once the TSM is activated, it can be maintained without firing the arm-mounted SRM-4s.
If you saw fit to shift the SRM-4s out of the arms, then you can deliver 5*8+15+28*2=111 damage in a round which exceeds just about any other mech.  Of course, you'll tend to draw the concentrated fire of every opposing mech, but that has it's own advantages at times.

grimlock1

• Captain
Yeah, agreed.If you saw fit to shift the SRM-4s out of the arms, then you can deliver 5*8+15+28*2=111 damage in a round which exceeds just about any other mech.  Of course, you'll tend to draw the concentrated fire of every opposing mech, but that has it's own advantages at times.
If your designs tend to draw a lot of concentrated fire, then you are doing something right.

I'm not normally a fan of ammo dependent TSM builds but this one tickles me. On the other hand, flashbulb-TSM-melee builds do get a bit samey.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
A summary: I agree with most of the comments said above. Flashbulb TSM mechs tend to be the same in terms of weapons, who doesn’t love a Kodiak with Claws, and Claws are dangerous despite the +1 to hit because TWO claw attacks.

Also Check out Marauder648’s take on the same concept (he paid Plog for some artwork on it: not gonna lie I may or may not have it as part of a shuffling background on an electronic device): https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/cave-bear-re-work/msg1348064/#msg1348064

That being said I’ve tested his out several (many) times so I will definitely give this one a try. I do love Kodiaks and wish they had made the II an Omni so I can carry my Elementals into battle.

Actually this gives me an idea for another Claw variant… I’ll get back to people on that one 🤔

EDIT: The idea I wanted wouldn't work: was going to mass ATM's and Improved Heavy Lasers. I'll have to mess around with it some more (I did design a decent version with Reinforced Armor). I really want to mass ATM's and I might have to give up the idea of a BIG Laser and instead go with a much shorter range variant. I
ll continue working
« Last Edit: 06 December 2022, 23:06:59 by Tyler Jorgensson »

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
If you saw fit to shift the SRM-4s out of the arms, then you can deliver 5*8+15+28*2=111 damage in a round which exceeds just about any other mech.

If she was a clean sheet design, sure, but the SRMs in the arms are there for WSIWYG.  Actually, if she was a cleansheet design, she’d forgo the SRMs and probably the big energy guns altogether in favor of lots of chest-mounted medium lasers of one type or another.

If your designs tend to draw a lot of concentrated fire, then you are doing something right.

I agree.  I never understand that complaint and won’t design a sucky mech in the hope that it can sneak by in a game.  For fluff, sure, but opponents are just as likely to wipe out weak mechs early, vice save them for later.

I'm not normally a fan of ammo dependent TSM builds but this one tickles me. On the other hand, flashbulb-TSM-melee builds do get a bit samey.

Energy weapons are always better — no ammo bombs and no risk of running out of ammo.  But small missile packs are unavoidable if you want add TSM on certain WSIWYG designs.  I have a couple Zeuses in this vein that I need to post.

A summary: I agree with most of the comments said above. Flashbulb TSM mechs tend to be the same in terms of weapons, who doesn’t love a Kodiak with Claws, and Claws are dangerous despite the +1 to hit because TWO claw attacks.

The way around the +1 on the Claws is with an Interface Cockpit.  I have a couple Interface omnis in the wings with TSM Claws to post when time allows.

Also Check out Marauder648’s take on the same concept (he paid Plog for some artwork on it: not gonna lie I may or may not have it as part of a shuffling background on an electronic device): https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/cave-bear-re-work/msg1348064/#msg1348064

That being said I’ve tested his out several (many) times so I will definitely give this one a try.

Maybe it’s late and I’m not thinking straight, but it looks like it would be hard to activate/maintain the TSM on Marauder’s design.  No small 1-2 heat point weapons (nothing below 5 heat points, in fact), so you have to shut down freezers and use only certain movement modes to get/keep the TSM working.  It can be done, but I’d kill for three small lasers on that design.

EDIT: The idea I wanted wouldn't work: was going to mass ATM's and Improved Heavy Lasers. I'll have to mess around with it some more (I did design a decent version with Reinforced Armor). I really want to mass ATM's and I might have to give up the idea of a BIG Laser and instead go with a much shorter range variant. I
ll continue working

No Claws, but I have a Clantech Zeus up this alley to post sometime.

grimlock1

• Captain
The way around the +1 on the Claws is with an Interface Cockpit.  I have a couple Interface omnis in the wings with TSM Claws to post when time allows.
Interface Cockpit is never bad but it doesn't help with physicals.  EI and AES are the only ways to buff melee attack rolls.

Also, for a moment, I misread that as saying you had interface omnis with tsm, claws and partial wings.  That could lead to some shenanigans, but then I realized the "free" heat sinks of the partial wing may not be your friend in this case. :-)
« Last Edit: 07 December 2022, 08:52:57 by grimlock1 »
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Yeah I’ve had problems with that and it requires some math because I always forget movement heat while doing the math. Usually I just end up at higher heat for a turn, or forced to stand still fire a volley and then berserker charge in. I do love designs with better TSM options for fine tuning (my group doesn’t really play with advanced rules (just advanced tech which we forget half the time and have to look up mid-game)). That’s why I loved the Kontio write up (and the Mech!)

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
I do love designs with better TSM options for fine tuning (my group doesn’t really play with advanced rules (just advanced tech which we forget half the time and have to look up mid-game)). That’s why I loved the Kontio write up (and the Mech!)

Me, too.  The Kontio is not the most practical mech in the game, but it really poses tactical problems for opponents and can be a real disruptor.  I wish there was a Kodiak or other assault version in the canon.  I would run a star composed of just those two designs.

grimlock1

• Captain
Yeah I’ve had problems with that and it requires some math because I always forget movement heat while doing the math. Usually I just end up at higher heat for a turn, or forced to stand still fire a volley and then berserker charge in. I do love designs with better TSM options for fine tuning (my group doesn’t really play with advanced rules (just advanced tech which we forget half the time and have to look up mid-game)). That’s why I loved the Kontio write up (and the Mech!)

The trick to using TSM well is to sit down before hand and make a table of weapons. 
Assuming heat = 0, I need to run and fire XYZ to hit +9.
Assuming heat = 1, I need to run and fire...

Then make the same table for maintaining +9.

This way you won't be slowing the game down by having to calculate on the fly.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
The trick to using TSM well is to sit down before hand and make a table of weapons. 
Assuming heat = 0, I need to run and fire XYZ to hit +9.
Assuming heat = 1, I need to run and fire...

Then make the same table for maintaining +9.

This way you won't be slowing the game down by having to calculate on the fly.

That’s not the issue we were talking about.  The issue was that the Kodiak design with TSM Claws in the other thread doesn’t have any weapons with low heat points for precise heat management.  Even with prepared lists, it’s hard to manage heat with no weapon putting out less than five heat points.  You have to think even further ahead and shut off freezers before the movement and weapons fire that activates the TSM.  In some cases without low heat weapons, there may even be no combination of freezers and weapons fire with certain movement modes that gets to the magical +9.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
That’s not the issue we were talking about.  The issue was that the Kodiak design with TSM Claws in the other thread doesn’t have any weapons with low heat points for precise heat management.  Even with prepared lists, it’s hard to manage heat with no weapon putting out less than five heat points.  You have to think even further ahead and shut off freezers before the movement and weapons fire that activates the TSM.  In some cases without low heat weapons, there may even be no combination of freezers and weapons fire with certain movement modes that gets to the magical +9.

I think they were responding to my comment about forgetting how to count when preparing TSM. However if my next game I can squeeze the two under the BV I’ll try them both at the same time.

But that’s also why I designed my Berserker IIC: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/quick-mech-mods-tyler-jorgensson/msg1542462/#msg1542462

I can just run and gun with Alpha Strikes to get that +9. Course it only uses a single hatchet and not a pair of Claws so it means more tonnage towards weapons. And it just happens that with the right weapons (and a Partial Wing) I get that sweet perfect weapon group

grimlock1

• Captain
I think they were responding to my comment about forgetting how to count when preparing TSM. However if my next game I can squeeze the two under the BV I’ll try them both at the same time.

But that’s also why I designed my Berserker IIC: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/quick-mech-mods-tyler-jorgensson/msg1542462/#msg1542462

I can just run and gun with Alpha Strikes to get that +9. Course it only uses a single hatchet and not a pair of Claws so it means more tonnage towards weapons. And it just happens that with the right weapons (and a Partial Wing) I get that sweet perfect weapon group
Correct.  Assuming the right combo of weapons exists, having a table reduces your cognitive load, speeds up the game, and makes everything more fun.  Well maybe not so much for the person who's about to have their face clawed off...

But having a plan becomes even more important if you have to start toggling heat sinks.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain

You gotta love the Partial Wing on a non-flying assault and a Berserker, no less.

Correct.  Assuming the right combo of weapons exists, having a table

Apologies that I misinterpreted.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
I went full out on this monstrosity: this is MY Mech, probably a one of a kind (i might make a production model that drops the fancy armor for some FF and some other things). Is it silly? Yes. Is it expensive? Also Yes. Will I pilot this thing into battle and get headshot on the second turn? Probably.

Technically it’s an OmniMech… but it has no other variant ATM.

Visually I wouldnt know how to style the wings to make it Berserker-like or Norse styled. I’m not much of an artist and I’ve never thought about it much TBH.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
A couple of nasty Kodiaks I'm not a Bear fan but I may have to borrow these
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
A couple of nasty Kodiaks I'm not a Bear fan but I may have to borrow these

Thanks, DC.  Let me know how they work and wha they kill.  I’ve got one or two Nova Cat claw designs that I’ll try to post when there’s time.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Thanks, DC.  Let me know how they work and wha they kill.  I’ve got one or two Nova Cat claw designs that I’ll try to post when there’s time.

Sounds good,

I've fancied making a quad with Talons or spikes just to lean in on the cat aesthetic
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
Sounds good,

I've fancied making a quad with Talons or spikes just to lean in on the cat aesthetic

I like the idea of spikes to represent a Nova Cat’s mane.

Here’s one Nova Cat mech with real claws loosely based on the Cave Lion:

SABRE CAT —> https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/sabre-cat/

Register