Register Register

Author Topic: What if...? Kick the Khan - 08/06/22 @ 2:00pm in Lansing, Michigan  (Read 688 times)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Hi Folks,

The first weekend in August, I'll be running the following scenario at Summit Comics and Games in Lansing, Michigan. On Saturday, August 6th the game setup will start at 2 p.m. and dice start rolling promptly at 2:30 p.m.

We're going to continue play the game of "What If...?"

Years ago, Rob "Bostwick" Strathmann was kind enough to give me a copy of the unpublished FASA 'Return of the Widowmakers' Scenariobook. So, let's go back in time to the Clan Invasion in a Battletech reality that never was, or maybe it was... just as a part of the Battletech multiverse.

KICK THE KHAN

Tairakana Plains
Luthien, Draconis Combine
1300 Hours, 5 January 3052

Return of the Widowmakers

Reports of battle murmured in his ears as he waited in his Warhammer. Major Travis King wanted to be in that battle, wanted to be a mere Captain again and lead his Black Sword Company against the Nova Cats.

An hour ago, the battle had been joined. The Smoke Jaguars had hit the DCMS lines hard and the Nova Cats charge had punched through, only to run full-tilt into the Wolf’s Dragoons and the Kell Hounds. But the Widowmakers were not in battle, had not yet been in battle. Not today. Not yet.

“Contacts Major!” Gunther Leigh’s thick Slavonic accent drowned out the other transmissions.

“Feed me.” King watched his auxiliary monitor as Leigh transmitted the data being gathered by his Rifleman’s Garret D2j tracking system. The Major hit several controls to magnify the Daishi in the Clan formation. The five stars beneath the Clan Smoke Jaguar emblem stood out prominently.

“Right. Widowmakers! We have our target. Strike lance, take the right flank. Try to turn their formation. Reserve Lance, form on me.” King transmitted the pre-arranged signal to his support units.

“Remember the plan. We hit them hard and fast, then fall back. We want to stretch out their formation.” He started the Black Lady forward…

Guns blazing, King cut down several Elementals as they tried to leap onto his ‘Mech. Cutting left, he witnessed the Wolf Trap blindsiding a Gladiator even as he gutted a Koshi with PPC fire. The Gladiator and the Koshi fell as one.

“2nd Team! Go!” Travis King sent the order even as he dodged fire from the Vulture. He crouched the Black Lady behind the smoking wreckage of a Loki that had fallen in the first charge. He had no time to examine the shattered remains of Leigh’s Rifleman.

The hovercraft of the 7th Commando came screaming into the rear of the Clan battle line. They shot straight up behind the hulking Daishi which had lagged behind as the other OmniMechs had pursued their attackers. Laser fire and missiles peppered the head and shoulders of the fighting machine. The Daishi pitched forward to the ground. The cockpit struck first and crumpled like tin-foil.

“We’ve kicked the Khan! Time to finish the rest of the trash. All units, advance!” The damaged gyro rattled deep within the Warhammer’s chest as the heavy ‘Mech started towards the remaining Clansmen. On his right, the Banshee was trailing smoke from terrible rents in its armor, but the Rasalhague Mechwarrior was still screaming curses at the Clans.

The six OmniMechs began to pull back together as they realized that they were outnumbered, outgunned, and out of luck.

Special Rules and Objectives:

These Optional rules from Tac Ops are in effect:
- Backward Movement (Expanded) [changing levels while walking/driving backwards] (p.22)
- Movement Dice [white=walk, red=run, jade=jump] (p.27)
- Floating Critical (p.77)
- Firing When Down [one-arm prop and fire] (p.85)
- Expanded Flip Arms [torso-twist AND flip arms at the same time] (p.87)
- Rapid Fire AC [light and std AC's can double fire] (p.100)
- Energy Weapons [dialing down lasers] (p.102)
- Rapid Fire Machine Guns [higher rate of fire] (p.102)
- Hot-Load Missiles [no minimum on LRM] (p.102)

Several 'Mechs on the board "may" have Special Pilot Abilities.

Location, Date & Time:

Summit Comics is located at 216 Washington Square B, Lansing, MI 48933.
Parking on the street is free on Saturdays.

Game will be on Saturday, August 6, 2022

Setup starts around 2:00pm if you'd like to show up for some shop talk beforehand. Dice start to roll promptly at 2:30.

C-19 Policies for my game:
- Summit Comics and Games' rules for their store and gaming area take precedence.
- If you're not feeling well, please stay home until you're feeling better.
- You can mask or not mask, as is your preference.
- Please keep your medical history to yourself and respect everyone else's privacy.
- I'll have hand sanitizer with me at the game. Use it if you wish, just please make sure your hands are dry before touching my minis and maps.

Lastly, if you've never attended one of my games, please take a moment to review the Code of Conduct, which is located at: http://playbattletech.blogspot.com/p/code-of-conduct.html

Hope to see you there,

Thanks,

Chuck Wilson
Catalyst Demo Agent #66
===================================
"Mankind's greatest disease is laziness."
- Windsor McCay -
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.