Register Register

Author Topic: What if...? Sword and Spider - 07/02/22 @ 2:00pm in Lansing, Michigan  (Read 292 times)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Hi Folks,

If you'd like to get some giant stompy robot action in this holiday weekend, I'll be running the following scenario at Summit Comics and Games in Lansing, Michigan on Saturday, July 2nd. Game setup starts at 2 p.m., dice start rolling promptly at 2:30 p.m.

We're going to play a game of "What If...?"

Years ago, Rob "Bostwick" Strathmann was kind enough to give me a copy of the unpublished FASA 'Return of the Widowmakers' Scenariobook. So, let's go back in time to the Clan Invasion in a Battletech reality that never was, or maybe it was... just as a part of the Battletech multiverse.

SWORD AND SPIDER

Outback, Outreach, Sarna March
Federated Commonwealth
1700 Hours, 3rd August 3054

Black Sword vs. Widowmakers

Captain Alex Jones nervously checked his Mad Cat one more time. The secondary monitor showed that the rest of the Black Sword were advancing in standard skirmish formation. Normally he would be confident that his company could handle anything they encountered, but this time it was different. This time he was facing the man who had led it for five years. The man who had taught him just about everything he knew about combat.

“Captain! Hay here. I’ve got the ‘bugs’ dead ahead. Looks like they are dug in.” Lieutenant John Hay sounded nervous over the comm.

Most of the Company were confused by the events of the last few weeks. Sure they felt that the Dragoons needed to take a new course, but the means that had been used to start them on that course did not sit well with many.

Alex had waited for Travis King to return and join up with the new leadership. To find his old commander on the opposite was a shock, more it had make Alex question the validity of Alpin’s claim to the leadership.

After over four years fighting side-by-side, Alex had developed a great respect for Travis King. He almost wished that he could find some way of joining the Wolf Pack. But he had been trained to obey orders. King had repeatedly drilled that into all his people.

Now he had been ordered to eliminate the Widowmaker Company.

“Lock and load people. Attack plan Delta Five. Go!”

He could only lead his company as best his could. Right into a Widowmaker’s web.

===

In 3054, Wolf’s Dragoons looked set to disintegrate. Jamie Wolf’s son Mac had died in a mission beyond the Periphery and there was no clear choice for heir to the control of the unit. Various factions supported this or that candidate, but matters only came to a head when Jamie Wolf was challenged to a Trial of Position by a supporter of Alpin Wolf, Mac’s son.

Jamie Wolf’s champion lost to Alpins, and so the Wolf was deposed. However, events led to Jamie Wolf fleeing to the ‘Other Side of the Mountain’ on Outreach. There he gathered forces. The usurpers took this to indicate that Wolf was issuing for a Trail of Refusal.

The fight that followed over the next few weeks was as bitter as any seen within the Clans or in the Inner Sphere.
The usurpers had at their disposal most of Beta, Gamma, and Epsilon Regiments and the Fire Support Group. Wolf had most of the Home Guard and the Spider’s Web.

The Widowmakers Battalion (Provisional) were on Outreach for training and refitting. Major King rallied his warriors and they agreed to fight. The Widowmakers ‘Mech company was used to reinforce the Spiders Web Battalion, which was understrength after weeding out those loyal to the usurpers.

The battle was especially bitter for Travis King. He had to order his new command to fight his old company, the Black Sword.

======

Special Rules and Objectives:

These Optional rules from Tac Ops are in effect:
- Backward Movement (Expanded) [changing levels while walking/driving backwards] (p.22)
- Movement Dice [white=walk, red=run, jade=jump] (p.27)
- Floating Critical (p.77)
- Firing When Down [one-arm prop and fire] (p.85)
- Expanded Flip Arms [torso-twist AND flip arms at the same time] (p.87)
- Rapid Fire AC [light and std AC's can double fire] (p.100)
- Energy Weapons [dialing down lasers] (p.102)
- Rapid Fire Machine Guns [higher rate of fire] (p.102)
- Hot-Load Missiles [no minimum on LRM] (p.102)

Several 'Mechs on the board "may" have Special Pilot Abilities.

Location, Date & Time:

Summit Comics is located at 216 Washington Square B, Lansing, MI 48933.
Parking on the street is free on Saturdays.

Game will be on Saturday, July 2, 2022

Setup starts around 1200pm if you'd like to show up for some shop talk beforehand. Dice start to roll promptly at 2:30.

C-19 Policies for my game:
- Summit Comics and Games' rules for their store and gaming area take precedence.
- If you're not feeling well, please stay home until you're feeling better.
- You can mask or not mask, as is your preference.
- Please keep your medical history to yourself and respect everyone else's privacy.
- I'll have hand sanitizer with me at the game. Use it if you wish, just please make sure your hands are dry before touching my minis and maps.

Lastly, if you've never attended one of my games, please take a moment to review the Code of Conduct, which is located at: http://playbattletech.blogspot.com/p/code-of-conduct.html

Hope to see you there,
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.