Register Register

Author Topic: Clan Naval Reserves  (Read 1077 times)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
Clan Naval Reserves
« on: 03 December 2022, 05:20:26 »
I seem to recall from somewhere that the various Clan Naval Reserves all started out as Naval Stars parceled out to each of the original 20 Clans, that each individual Clan then grew or traded off of over time.

I can't seem to find the reference any more and I wonder if anybody has encountered similar.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: Clan Naval Reserves
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2022, 07:53:57 »
So important language distinction. The Clan refers to active duty naval assets as their Naval Reserve, which in some respects is almost treated like a separate branch of the Clan military from the Galaxies. Compare that to something like a naval cache, which is the mothballed stuff. Just pointing this out because I have seen people mix that up.

It's vague, it's clear that every Clan was divvied up some assets. Dropships/Jumpships/Warships. Some of the warships get involved in Operation Klondike, with lower caste crews and one of Kerensky's 800 commanding operations. The book Operation Klondike talks about this a bit. We don't have specific numbers. We don't have a specific reference that says each Clan was given X warships. But they do, we see some of them put into use in Operation Klondike, operated by each of the Clans.

After Operation Klondike yet more naval assets were recovered from the surviving caches at the Pentagon worlds. The Ravens notably sought out a higher percentage of this stuff. Their section of FM: WC talks about this somewhat, as does I think the book Warriors of Kerensky a bit.

As the Clans grew in every respect, a process taking generations, more and more of those assets were put into service. By the Golden Century each Clan was deploying between 12-20 warships on average (the Ravens 40, they intentionally had a 2 Clan doctrine that said they should be able to fight a naval war against any 2 other Clans and win).

That still left dropship/jumpship/warship hulls in naval caches across the Clan Homeworlds and the Pentagon Worlds. Designated by Clan ownership. Mothballed ships remained. But the Clan was also building new stuff, new classes of dropships/jumpships/warships that were just superior to the old stuff.

Some of these, especially dropships and jumpships, were pulled out of mothballs and put into service for Operation Revival. The journey back and forth between the Inner Sphere and the Clan required a lore more transportation assets.

Once the Wars of Reaving kicked out, in the Wars of Reaving book, we see the Clans hitting up their caches, especially for remaining warships. By this point it's conveyed that there are few vessels left. Some have been damaged by things like passing comets. Some had degraded too much, having sat in mothballs since the SLDF-in-exile days. Some are grabbed by the Society and put into use as the Wars of Reaving ends there are references to last caches. Or "an old Clan Mongoose cache" getting checked for usable vessels, that really hints that they are getting to the bottom of the barrel.

By the time the Wars of Reaving are over, there is little left. Talk of reactivating a handful of warships still in a cache is present in the post-WoR writing. But it's strongly implied that there isn't much left, that we are down to 1-3 vessels that they are looking to reactivate. It is strongly implied that going forward the Homeworld Clans will have to build.

I don't know if I answered your question or not. Feel free to keep asking questions.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2022, 08:23:17 »
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I was aware of the distinction in terminology, though I was under the impression that the naval caches were collective property of the Clans as a whole, rather than specific to each Clan. The rationale being that these were unused since the Exodus and there would have been no point in allocating them if they were not going to be used.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2022, 08:38:22 »
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I was aware of the distinction in terminology, though I was under the impression that the naval caches were collective property of the Clans as a whole, rather than specific to each Clan. The rationale being that these were unused since the Exodus and there would have been no point in allocating them if they were not going to be used.
It is a bit of both, there are both general and Clan specific naval caches.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2022, 08:46:42 »
Old nicky didn't want one clan to start more powerful then it brethren after klondite one of the reason he was worry about wolverine and their policy as they were jump too far in front of other clan and he didn't directly control them.  For that reason early on he parcel a set numbers of mechs and warship and the rest he mothballed to be use directly the be ilkhan should the need for them arises.  Raven increase from tradding away some asset for other clan warship and those won on trial. (at leas that my understanding)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2022, 10:16:03 »
I do think at least most of the naval caches were designated by Clan. When they get talked about in the Wars of Reaving book, it's almost always with a Clan name in the name of the cache.

The Clans as a society don't have a lot of shared assets and there was not always an IlKhan for all of Clan history (to manage some separate collection of stuff owned by the IlKhan). Most things are owned by one Clan. Notable exceptions included the warship McKenna's Pride, which was crewed by members of all the Clans, as well as the city of Katyusha on Strana Mechty, which was secured by the Ebon Keshik, another force assembled from elementals from all the Clans.

By and large most things had 1 Clan owner. That includes the naval caches.

Trial of Possession to be that 1 owner of whatever, was a large part of how the Clans conducted their brand of warfare, and except for one or two exceptions (like I referenced above) general "all the clans" ownership was just not a concept that was respected.

But the existence of an "old Clan Mongoose naval cache" at one point during the Wars of Reaving era does suggest, that some of these caches were kinda left and ignored. At that point such a cache would have been the property of Clan Smoke Jaguar (who absorbed Clan Mongoose), which we have seen, like with the Chaeronea ASF, they weren't inclined to use the stuff of a failed Clan, machines, genetic legacies etc. So it sounds like the Smoke Jaguars just left that one naval cache sitting abandoned, and then the Jaguars were gone, and it was still left sitting there. Hince it still had the Mongoose name attached to it.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2022, 10:17:38 by Alan Grant »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2022, 18:16:47 »
 San Diego and Norfolk Boneyards is where the spare assets NOT assigned to a particular Clan were parked. I do not think any numbers of what might be in each was ever stated in canon. Both were raided by the Wolverines when they bolted.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2022, 18:53:01 »
Ok, interesting, didn't know that.

But that was also Clan Generation 1, Nicholas and many other Clan Founding Khans still alive, Clans still small. They were still figuring a lot of stuff out.

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2022, 23:43:28 »
In Era Digest Golden Century, its stated that after the absorption of Clan Mongoose, Clan Smoke Jaguar traded away 25% of the former Mongoose territory to other clans, so they could get a vote in the clan council to get some mothballed ships to rebuild their fleet after the losses sustained in the Trail of absorption.  So appears to get anything out of mothball (or at least the communal mothball), required a vote of the clan counsel.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2022, 07:30:01 »
I do have an easier time believing there was a "communal mothball" owned by all of the Clans in the earlier decades of their existence. They inherited a crazy amount of equipment from the SLDF-in-exile. Enough to fill entire divisions and warship fleets. Brian Caches full of stuff, naval caches full of stuff. More than they could possibly use or need at that time. It's easier to imagine that there were caches of stuff that none of the Clans sought to own at that time.

The Clans were too small. Their toumans were a fraction of what we see in the 3050s-3060s, and their fleets were most likely also smaller. They were scaling up gradually those first few generations (with some noteworthy setbacks in cases where warriors adopted from the Pentagon populations revolted against the Clan way). Small number of worlds, small populations, small warrior castes.

The Mongoose absorption happened in 2868. The Clans were founded in 2807. So about 60 years into the Founding of the Clans. They were still smaller then.

As the Clans grew, larger populations, larger toumans, more worlds, they actually needed a lot of that cached stuff, or sought to own it themselves just in case they ever did. I suspect somewhere in there, they began to divvy it up more via votes or probably more commonly, Trials. Do what the Jaguars did but on a more routine basis, a bunch of jumpships/dropships here, a warship there, until there was little to nothing left as a "communal cache" and instead each Clan had the resources to maintain their own reserve caches.

I think that gradually more and more of the naval caches and brian caches of equipment were claimed by specific Clans, which were used to fill out the toumans, or sat in reserve but still owned by a specific Clan.

I've been going through Wars of Reaving again, looking at all of the naval cache references. Every one I can find has a Clan attached to it, ownership wise. Except for one reference used by the Cobras toward the end of this list.

-The Diamond Sharks got their Essex out of their Shark Babylon naval reserve cache and quietly snuck it back to the Inner Sphere.

-The Sharks activated an Samarkand-class carrier out of the Sharks Vinton naval cache. They noted the presence of two other vessels but lacked the resources to activate them.

-The Vipers pulled an Aegis out of their New Kent naval reserve cache.

-At Priori we have the Burrock rebellion, and they activated ships from the Adder's last naval cache there.

-The Coyotes found 3 Star League era warships docked together to make a crude space station in System 671-H. A bandit hideout basically. It concluded they were from an old Clan Mongoose cache.

Very notably, after the Wars of Reaving, there is talk of a shortage of naval equipment. The Adders, trying to rebuild, have nothing left in caches. There is no talk of getting anything from any communal caches. The Stone Lions work to activate 2 warships from a Hell's Horse cache. The Cobras activate two Sovetskii Soyuz vessels and tried to activate a Samarkand but gave up after years of trying and turned it into a training vessel. No cache name is identified for where these three vessels came from. It's the only unnamed cache reference with no Clan specific name attached to it. But its ownership doesn't seem to be in dispute, there is no talk of trials or fighting involved.

By Wars of Reaving Supplemental, it is noted that there is a shortage of transportation assets, jumpships and dropships, throughout the Homeworlds. But there is no talk of activating caches. Instead, the Coyotes have begun building new jumpships and dropships. It's implied that these vessels are appearing all over Kerensky space, suggesting that the Coyotes are exporting/trading them, or that the other Clans are trialing for some of them.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 07:33:22 by Alan Grant »

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2022, 07:46:55 »
i would think the bulk of warship were taken out of mothballs during the clan invasion as they would need to secure the route to the inner sphere and they were also not aware on how many warships remain in belong to houses.  Of course they should have an inkling from the dragoon scouting mission that no many were left but they could never trully be certain.  Beside the warship they would had needed massive amounts of jumpships and not all clan could relied on clan diamond shark to provide them.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2022, 07:51:06 »
San Diego and Norfolk Boneyards is where the spare assets NOT assigned to a particular Clan were parked. I do not think any numbers of what might be in each was ever stated in canon. Both were raided by the Wolverines when they bolted.
The Wolverines only took 2 from each though.
I think that gradually more and more of the naval caches and brian caches of equipment were claimed by specific Clans, which were used to fill out the toumans, or sat in reserve but still owned by a specific Clan.
I agree that this is likely what happened. The Clans have been in existence for over 200 years at the point of Revival. Two hundred years in which ships were reactivated as a Clan found the need, mothballed as a Clan lost that need, traded as a Clan found it needed something else, or outright built new as a Clan realised it needed something new. A warship is a significant investment in terms of maintenance after all.

A Clan might have needed to reactivate a ship in the era when everybody was expanding, but in the crunch when the Clan's fortunes were waning, it might simply mothball it rather than keep pouring in the resources to keep it operational. That or trade it to somebody else, while not necessarily able to keep it running themselves, are looking at a point in the near future where they might need it.
i would think the bulk of warship were taken out of mothballs during the clan invasion as they would need to secure the route to the inner sphere and they were also not aware on how many warships remain in belong to houses.  Of course they should have an inkling from the dragoon scouting mission that no many were left but they could never trully be certain.  Beside the warship they would had needed massive amounts of jumpships and not all clan could relied on clan diamond shark to provide them.
No, they relied on Snow Raven if they weren't relying on Diamond Sharks. Remember that Revival was only carried out by less than half the number of Clans in existence. They were among the largest ones around, but still far from the full force of the Clans. Plus it's canon that all but the Wolves underestimated the logistical requirements.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2022, 08:07:45 »

That's not really what we're talking about/discussing/debating. We're talking about whether those activated assets, prior to their activation were owned by 1 Clan, or all of them as a communal reserve owned by all the Clans.

We know the Clans activated more and more naval reserve assets, throughout all eras of their history, some eras more than others. I don't think anyone is disputing that. But who OWNED those assets when they were sitting in a naval reserve cache? That's the question in which there has been some debate.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 08:11:18 by Alan Grant »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2022, 12:30:38 »
There is also something that was mentioned in Wars of Reaving: not all ships in the mothballs were fit for duty. Some ships were damaged due to asteroid strikes or wear and tear that could not be fixed. Which makes me wonder if the Clans had even "custodians" for said caches that regularly visit the caches and perhaps do some regular maintenance. Also, one interesting note: when the Lum yards were heavily damaged by the Scorpions the Ravens demanded that the Scorpions be censured for the "massive damage done to a critical part of the Clan's infrastructure" I understood it like that all yards are in essence part of all Clans. Makes sense in away as you can usually trial for maintenace or even construction of jump-capable ships. Would that also count for naval caches? Like "I declare a trial for the content of one naval cache from the Adders"

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2022, 13:47:40 »
There is also something that was mentioned in Wars of Reaving: not all ships in the mothballs were fit for duty. Some ships were damaged due to asteroid strikes or wear and tear that could not be fixed. Which makes me wonder if the Clans had even "custodians" for said caches that regularly visit the caches and perhaps do some regular maintenance. Also, one interesting note: when the Lum yards were heavily damaged by the Scorpions the Ravens demanded that the Scorpions be censured for the "massive damage done to a critical part of the Clan's infrastructure" I understood it like that all yards are in essence part of all Clans. Makes sense in away as you can usually trial for maintenace or even construction of jump-capable ships. Would that also count for naval caches? Like "I declare a trial for the content of one naval cache from the Adders"

In FM: WC, in Clan Coyote's navy section, the Star Admiral has ordered a York-class. The Snow Ravens are building it for them. I think this says a lot about how even if it's a Raven possession, the other Clans needed/used Lum.

In the fluff for the Carrier-class dropship in TRO 3057r, it reads that the Snow Ravens are building and maintaining all Carriers for all the Clans at Rumiko at Lum. In exchange for materials and manufactured goods, including materials otherwise unavailable to the Clans that did not participate in the Invasion.

The Ravens are playing word games, which they are good at. You damaged our asset, but all of you were benefitting from it. YOU NEED US!!!

As for the caches, absolutely up for Trials of Possession, almost everything is in the Clan Homeworlds.

I do think the naval caches had caretakers and security. Although to what extent their "custodial" services were needed is not clear to me. But if you just park stuff out in space and leave it unsupervisored, some bandit might steal it. That happened in the Wars of Reaving era. Warships from the "old Mongoose cache" turned up in bandit hands. The mystery Streaking Mist Smoke Jaguar ship was sometimes spotted at supply caches, stealing from them, and the Burrock/rebels raiders the Adders cache and took everything.

So there is definitely a value/need to have security and caretakers. But it feels like it was kept to a minimum, it feels pretty complacent. Low priority, low budget. Like they could have perhaps done a better job.

We do know from the references that some of that stuff deteriorated to a point where it was no longer usable due to age, or was damaged by things like passing comets, per one reference.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 13:53:45 by Alan Grant »

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2022, 14:10:17 »
Makes you wonder if the a Burrocks were the caretakers and they just sold stuff for scrap or salvaged parts to sell to the other clans outside Raven control. That tracks with how careless the Clans were in trusting each other without verification

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2022, 15:31:52 »
So there is definitely a value/need to have security and caretakers. But it feels like it was kept to a minimum, it feels pretty complacent. Low priority, low budget. Like they could have perhaps done a better job.
Internal security is generally regarded negatively among Clans. The task is often left to Solahma and possibly even lower caste, so the negligence would actually be on brand.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2022, 17:55:21 »
From, the Wars of Reaving I got the impression that those ships were simply "parked" without any oversight. When the revived Burrocks rebuild their fleet they got coordinates for Adder naval caches and when the Adders visited one they were surpised to have it been partially emptied. That sounds to me like that there are no guards / sentry stations at all. The only thing I would wager is that there are security codes that have to be bypassed (and I think that was passed along with the coordinates) But nothing else. Though interesting enough: how was that handled in the Star League / Hegemony? The Hegemony had so many ships that the mothballed ships made up nearly 30% I think of all ships of the fleet.And those ships were maintained and even upgraded regularly especially when they needed ships as replacements or filling up squadrons.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2022, 18:01:00 »
The ground force caches could not have been too terribly full by the time of Revival -- purely based on the "We have no stuff" Blood Spirits.  The RATs put SLDF equipment in their touman -- even in first line clusters if memory serves -- so if they were really that hard up for equipment that no other Clan particularly had a use for, why wouldn't they have dragged it out of mothballs already?

I suppose there's an argument for "That'll make us look too weak and they'll come for us" but that was already the case, so what's the harm?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2022, 18:42:49 »
The ground force caches could not have been too terribly full by the time of Revival -- purely based on the "We have no stuff" Blood Spirits.  The RATs put SLDF equipment in their touman -- even in first line clusters if memory serves -- so if they were really that hard up for equipment that no other Clan particularly had a use for, why wouldn't they have dragged it out of mothballs already?

I suppose there's an argument for "That'll make us look too weak and they'll come for us" but that was already the case, so what's the harm?

Even in Jaguar Leaps, which takes place from the 3020s up to the 3050s, we see Star League Mechs mixed among the Viper and Jag forces.  So I expect they've DEFINITELY been using up ground equipment at a pretty solid clip.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2022, 19:40:31 »
I'm looking at FM: Updates, I don't see any SLDF equipment in the Blood Spirits front line RAT. Clan built second line, like a Jenner IIC yes. But not SLDF vintage.

If I was Clan and had to use some percentage of SLDF vintage equipment I'd sprinkle it in throughout so that any one unit isn't terribly handicapped.

OR just give it to the worst of the worst, some freeborn provisional garrison cluster type unit, or solahma. Extreme disrespect. That feels very Clan (in some Clans anyways).

During the Wars of Reaving on Vinton we see the Sharks outfit whole Clusters from Brian Cache stuff. Minting warriors from the lower castes with little more than an arm wrestling contest. It's how they held out so long on Vinton.

If I had to venture a guess, there really was a lot of equipment to begin with, talking thousands of BattleMechs and aerospace fighters. As Clan tech came online the Clans slowed the pace at which they were using the SLDF vintage equipment. The faucet went from wide open in the early years, to a trickle. Not only did you have the latest generation of Omnis, you had older Omnis too, then you had IICs and other Clan second lines. Not all of that got destroyed, some of it got reassigned to the second-line units as it became outdated or hit some other elderly status.

So Clan production, even reserves of the newer stuff is being put into storage right there there with the Brian Cache equipment. Then when you needed more, you'd grab some from both categories.

So over time, the expenditure rate of the Brian Cache SLDF-grade material would actually slow down. It's too valuable to simply destroy, but no one actually wants to use it. So you keep it around just-in-case, and pull out just enough machines to fill the gaps that are left by production shortfalls, or heavy combat losses.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2022, 19:56:32 »
From, the Wars of Reaving I got the impression that those ships were simply "parked" without any oversight. When the revived Burrocks rebuild their fleet they got coordinates for Adder naval caches and when the Adders visited one they were surpised to have it been partially emptied. That sounds to me like that there are no guards / sentry stations at all. The only thing I would wager is that there are security codes that have to be bypassed (and I think that was passed along with the coordinates) But nothing else. Though interesting enough: how was that handled in the Star League / Hegemony? The Hegemony had so many ships that the mothballed ships made up nearly 30% I think of all ships of the fleet.And those ships were maintained and even upgraded regularly especially when they needed ships as replacements or filling up squadrons.
Not sure how they handle it but some of the hegemony mothball ended up with comstar/WOb or the free world league

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2022, 20:45:44 »
That was stuff left in the Inner Sphere. Some mothballs, some derelicts, etc. identified and marked on a map by ComStar. Which the WoB also had info on and shared it with the FWL. Ships found at the Ruins of Gabriel as well.

This is not that. Some of those ships were just in orbit of various unoccupied systems. Or sitting in the dark void of actual inhabited solar systems.

That's a whole separate conversation in and of itself. We're talking about Clan reserves.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 20:48:45 by Alan Grant »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2022, 03:59:23 »
Yeah that might be it. When I hear "naval cache" I usually assume it is some sort of port facility where Warships and Jumpships are parked in a form of hangar, perfectly secured and not floating in orbit of whatever star is out there.
Though having them simply "sit" in space might be a good way to save resources (well unless some asteroid / comet comes visiting)

Though in general do the Post-Reaving Homeworld clans still have the means to build Warships? I know that they dismantled the Viper's Leviathan slip to rebuild their own yards but so far I only know of maintenance capabilities (and Jumpship construction). Probably the same discussion as in the Inne Sphere section "Why did no one think about building new Warships????"

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2022, 06:27:24 »
So far (last we heard) they are not building warships, but I think that's by choice and the limitations of how badly they need to rebuild everything. In Wars of Reaving Supplemental it talks about how the Coyotes just got a couple of yards going, capable of producing jumpships and dropships. That's treated as a big deal, a big step forward to be building again. It references a transportation assets shortage. It sounds like they need jumpships and dropships way more than they need warships.

The Adders note they have no naval infrastructure left and are limiting their warship operations to mostly defensive stuff. Operations in the Hanseatic League were an outlet for their young hothead warriors while their older veteran warriors continued to focus on rebuilding.

They are still in rebuilding-the-basics mode. In the Homeworlds, whole enclaves are still filled only with the dead and shipyards were ripped apart in various battles.

I have no doubt they have the knowledge base. The resource strain just sounds like it's too much for them at that point. Keep in mind most of the Homeworld Clans have just 2-4 Galaxies. The Adders do have considerably more. Relative to the size of their ground forces, the few warships they have seem to be plenty as of WoR Supplemental.

If the Clan Homeworlds were some kind of civilization game set post-WoR. You'd still be building roads, agriculture, water supplies, some factories but a lot of it devoted to churning out lower caste stuff. Ships for transport and trade. You'd be exploring the dead enclaves and repopulating some of them. Just not quite at the level of "it is time to build cruisers" yet.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2022, 06:36:11 by Alan Grant »

Knightmare

• Happiness Guru
  • System Admin
  • Master Sergeant
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2022, 15:05:50 »
If memory serves, and I'd have to check, but...

When the SLDF demobilized after settling the Pentagon there were a number of large naval caches created to store excessive warships. Some of the less reliable hulls were partially cannibalized to help with colonization, with the active ships being used for exploration, protection, etc., but this is a period of hull concentration.

But the Exodus Civil War was pretty brutal on the SLDF-in-Exile's naval caches. Active ships were lost to the fighting, while additional ships were activated and destroyed if any of the factions could do so. Then there were the orbital scavenger communities, the Clans' raid for new ships, etc., that would have also chipped away at the cached ships. But this is still a period of hull concentration. 

After Klondike is when the communal caches are divided out and the best portion of the reserves are split up among the Clans, creating the individual Clan naval caches (which will change in size throughout the Golden Century and beyond due to trade, conflict, need, etc.) The remaining less desirable hulls stay in the communal caches/boneyards. These ships would suffer from neglect, bandits, and nature, and by the WoR, there isn't a lot of use in any of the remaining hulls but still enough for some scavaging.

The funny bit is that if a Clan didn't love their warships, like the Jags, they basically ignored their caches. They were so obsessed with 'Mech factories, and territory that a star or two of mothballed warships could essentially be left unattended...and go missing.

That said, the WoR pretty much-cleaned house of usable SLDF ships. Any hulls left in the Pentagon and Cluster will be in really bad shape through damage and neglect. And given the remaining population size, state of their planets, and infrastructure, the homeworld Clans would be better off building the type of warships found in TRO: GC. Those ships were more tailored to the type of Clan warfare the Coyotes, Stone Lions, Adders, etc., have reembraced. They're also smaller ships that would need fewer resources to manufacture. 
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2022, 15:25:33 »
The situation is so bad after WoR, that they are better of recycling whatever remains as refined materials for new production.

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2022, 10:51:49 »
The situation is so bad after WoR, that they are better of recycling whatever remains as refined materials for new production.

It's not that bad. there are only 4 Clans left and they can consolidate on those planets that actually survived the WoR. Which means a lower need for ressources to build new jumpships as you have less trading routes.
But the Homeworld Clans should have no remaining caches of Warships left. I know the Adders cleaned out their last and the same seems to count for the other Homeworld Clans.

And just to think the Exodus fleet was 400 Warships strong. It will probably not take much longer and the McKenna's Pride is the last ship alive from the original SLDF fleet

Register