Register Register

Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat took a dive?  (Read 5287 times)

FaithBomb

• Sergeant
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
Clan Nova Cat took a dive?
« on: 22 November 2020, 23:49:24 »
*Spoiler alert* So I just finished reading Shadow of Death by Randal Bills...and I'm left wondering what just happened. Some in the Nova Cats sabotaged the fight so they would lose and get mauled because of Biccon Winters vision???
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
Re: Clan Nova Cat took a dive?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2020, 00:04:27 »
It's the Battle of Tukayyid.  Where everyone got their butts kicked royally.   Except Clan Wolf. 
« Last Edit: 23 November 2020, 00:12:24 by rebs »

PhoeniX0302

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2020, 04:24:57 »
I had to read that passage again because I was dumb struck by it as well. I mean, I knew the Cats are driven by visions but risking everything for the chance to finally get back to Terra?! Seems odd to me, though we have seen what leaders in Clan society are willing to do what in their mind is right.

Still, I wonder if this is connected to the Cats joining the Second Star League and the fight against the Wobbies later on. I doubt that the description of the vision at that fateful meeting really describes Tukayyid...

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2020, 06:40:03 »
Interestingly enough in the Era report 3052 the Loremaster of the Nova Cats wanted to attack Anastasius Focht when he first entered the Dire Wolf because she claimed he was a "white fog that would destroy the Clans" I think it was something along the lines. This instead sound like they did a 180 within a short time span.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2020, 09:01:21 »
Poor Novacats. So badly burned by visions. No wonder they try to quit them by the end.

Guardian11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2020, 16:57:43 »
Interestingly enough in the Era report 3052 the Loremaster of the Nova Cats wanted to attack Anastasius Focht when he first entered the Dire Wolf because she claimed he was a "white fog that would destroy the Clans" I think it was something along the lines. This instead sound like they did a 180 within a short time span.
That scene is actually in Shadow of Death.

It could be that a victory at Tukayyid would lead to wars both between the IS and the Clans, and among the Clans that would lead to the destruction of the Nova Cats. While the current war for the IlClan may very well result in the resurrection of the Nova Cats. Also, a victorious Clan Nova Cat may have been strong enough and prestigious enough that they would have been chosen for Annihilation rather than the Smoke Jaguars, and without their devastation on Tukayyid the Nova Cats may have never chosen to side with the 2nd Star League. Although only a Trinary of Nova Cats survived Tukayyid, the Cats contributed heavily towards ComGuard losses.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2020, 17:08:17 »
Or the visions are:
1) fake
2) false
3) not very useful
4) useful to the wrong people
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]

Rncavenger

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2020, 20:16:20 »
After reading this and Tokkayyid book its all make sense. Lack of cooperation and individual ambitions of clans vs unity of Inners sphere  would be resulted  in all clans destroyed  if they take Terra.  In that time clans didnt ready.  "Enemy older than inner sphere" - ignorance and ambitions of clans .
 In 3150 clans more willing to cooperate (Alaric , clan protectorate , even golden ordun))  and inner sphere now just SHATTERED sphere.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2020, 21:55:09 by Rncavenger »

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2020, 21:01:53 »
Some in the Nova Cats sabotaged the fight so they would lose and get mauled because of Biccon Winters vision???

That's one interpretation. Another is that the Nova Cats realized the Invasion was rushing to get the Clans surrounded by a massively larger opposition that wouldn't surrender because the Clan rules said so. The potential truce offered by Comstar would have bought time to solidify the new occupation and build long term logistics networks for a real war, and the vision was useful pretext for why they sandbagged. The Nova Cats are often written so its impossible to say how much is belief in mystical visions and how much is savvy moves by insightful politicians.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2020, 08:28:41 »
They believe in their visions to a fault.

FYI: I wrote the Nova Cat section in Tukayyid before Randall wrote Shadows of Death. And they fit together so perfectly. Randall took so many small details and questions from my writeup and integrated them into his short story. Was really awesome, from a writer's point of view.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2020, 08:30:22 by DarkISI »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2020, 12:31:36 »
The Nova Cats are often written so its impossible to say how much is belief in mystical visions and how much is savvy moves by insightful politicians.

And how much is the leadership being off their meds.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2020, 14:31:38 »
And how much is the leadership being off their meds.

Thats the Scorpions
The below link leads to a wiki page created by Wrangler.  It has links to the various pages of my AU.
https://battletechfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Timeline_with_Thanks
For those looking for everything online I've also got them on the OurBattleTech website
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2020, 14:43:05 »
Thats the Scorpions

No way, it is when the Scorpions take their meds that they ****** up the most.   :D ;D

No successful battle began with she/he took necrosia...
« Last Edit: 29 November 2020, 16:59:57 by rebs »

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2020, 16:54:54 »
No way, it is when the Scorpions take their meds that they ****** up the most.

No successful battle began with she/he took necrosia...

It can be both.  Always remember there’s a thin line between insanity and genius.  We just don’t know where the writers put it.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2020, 17:36:30 »
It can be both.  Always remember there’s a thin line between insanity and genius.  We just don’t know where the writers put it.

We are definitely insane geniuses.
The Nova Cats ... Battletech always toyed with the supernatural just close enough so you couldn't tell whether or not it is really there. That's how I try to keep it.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2020, 17:48:51 »
We are definitely insane geniuses.
The Nova Cats ... Battletech always toyed with the supernatural just close enough so you couldn't tell whether or not it is really there. That's how I try to keep it.

I've always liked that element of the Nova Cat story.  I haven't liked the results as much, then again that wasn't the only thing that went wrong for them in the storyline

I haven't read this story yet as I'm buying them when they get released together but I'm looking forward to it
The below link leads to a wiki page created by Wrangler.  It has links to the various pages of my AU.
https://battletechfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Timeline_with_Thanks
For those looking for everything online I've also got them on the OurBattleTech website
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2020, 17:17:10 »

Thumbs up for that. I like supernatural / religious elements in sci-fi being handled that way. Battlestar Galactica was a prime example of how to successfully do it (until season 3 when it came down too explicitly on the religious side), and Battletech by and large has managed to balance it as well.

I've always liked that element of the Nova Cat story.  I haven't liked the results as much, then again that wasn't the only thing that went wrong for them in the storyline

Agree with both sentences. Much like the oft-quoted example of Croesus being told by the Oracle that if he went to war with Cyrus a mighty empire would fall, the Cats don't seem to have thought things through before acting on their visions.

Although there are hints in recent material that the Nova Cats may yet be an active Clan within a reborn Star League, if Alaric has his way, so perhaps the visions weren't totally wrong after all.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen"
George Orwell

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #17 on: 01 December 2020, 04:32:09 »
Although there are hints in recent material that the Nova Cats may yet be an active Clan within a reborn Star League, if Alaric has his way, so perhaps the visions weren't totally wrong after all.

We will have to see. I ohrases the Background text I. Tukayyid ambiguous, so you could guess. But even I really don't know. But revealing it either way with Kisho still MIA wasn't an option. Kisho alive and Alaric IlKhan mightead to a revival of the Nova Cats.
We will have to see how both of them turn out.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #18 on: 01 December 2020, 22:29:04 »
If there is a Nova Cat vision I'm interested in seeing come to fruition, it would be Sandra Rosse's vision of the Cats and Jaguars combining as a single Clan to savage their foes. With Alaric's plans, this could be an unintended consequence that could upset an applecart or two.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2020, 22:59:24 »
The Smoke Cats.  That would be most excellent.  We always knew the Nova Cats were smoking something.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #20 on: 01 December 2020, 23:54:01 »
Don't forget there were some serious internal divisions within the Nova Cats in 3052. They were a Crusader Clan who just took a butt kicking on Luthien which could cause plenty of fractures.

I do find it curious that the innovators of the ER Large Laser ran out of ammo... didn't see that one coming ... or did they!

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #21 on: 02 December 2020, 00:09:20 »
Yes, foresight didn't help them that way. 

Luthien and Tukayyid hit them back to back. 

I think they lost most of their Crusader warriors that way.  Rather like the Diamond Sharks, actually.   

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 02 December 2020, 00:18:44 »
The Smoke Cats.  That would be most excellent.  We always knew the Nova Cats were smoking something.

To me as long as they don’t rise up and becoming to clannish.  I have always found the clans like the Ghost Bears, Scorpions and the Sea Foxes more interesting after they changed from “invade the Inner Sphere” to let’s do our own thing.  I doubt we will see the Fidelis become true clans due to their history but also the current crop of writers creating fewer factions not more.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #23 on: 02 December 2020, 00:23:11 »
That's true, too.  The factions were being parred down for a while.  The Wars of Reaving is a dramatic example of that. 

We may yet lose more factions, too.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 02 December 2020, 00:35:33 »
Don't forget there were some serious internal divisions within the Nova Cats in 3052. They were a Crusader Clan who just took a butt kicking on Luthien which could cause plenty of fractures.

I do find it curious that the innovators of the ER Large Laser ran out of ammo... didn't see that one coming ... or did they!

Iirc they were told by their own Khans to load up on ballistic weapons.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 02 December 2020, 00:37:16 »
That's true, too.  The factions were being parred down for a while.  The Wars of Reaving is a dramatic example of that. 

We may yet lose more factions, too.

Hopefully more like the scorpion empire where they become part of a bigger group but manage to keep a part of themselves that makes them unique.  Instead of being wiped out and never heard of again.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #26 on: 02 December 2020, 06:49:42 »
Iirc they were told by their own Khans to load up on ballistic weapons.

And their Khan's plan was to lose Tukayyid badly. Might there be a connection...?

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #27 on: 02 December 2020, 12:15:56 »
*Spoiler alert* So I just finished reading Shadow of Death by Randal Bills...and I'm left wondering what just happened. Some in the Nova Cats sabotaged the fight so they would lose and get mauled because of Biccon Winters vision???

Nova Cat visions are fake...or, at least, twisted by the leaders to justify their own actions.

Witness their decision to assist the IS against the Jaguar...this action led to their Abjuration, led to the decimation of their Touman, prompted the Trial of Retribution which gutted their navy, placed them under the control of the Combine which led to their humiliation and ghettoisation, prompted the Clans to treat them with disdain which explains their treatment during the 2nd Bear-Combine War and ultimately led to the rebellion and near destruction of the Clan.

Hardly a stunning success.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #28 on: 02 December 2020, 12:18:45 »
If there is a Nova Cat vision I'm interested in seeing come to fruition, it would be Sandra Rosse's vision of the Cats and Jaguars combining as a single Clan to savage their foes. With Alaric's plans, this could be an unintended consequence that could upset an applecart or two.

Not sure which vision you are referring to, but it possibly refers to Operation Bulldog and what could have been if the Cats had not betrayed the Clans
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Rncavenger

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2020, 13:58:18 »
Nova Cat visions are fake...or, at least, twisted by the leaders to justify their own actions.

Witness their decision to assist the IS against the Jaguar...this action led to their Abjuration, led to the decimation of their Touman, prompted the Trial of Retribution which gutted their navy, placed them under the control of the Combine which led to their humiliation and ghettoisation, prompted the Clans to treat them with disdain which explains their treatment during the 2nd Bear-Combine War and ultimately led to the rebellion and near destruction of the Clan.

Hardly a stunning success.

But also visions led to:
- support Devlin Stone and migration best part of Nova Cats touman from Combine
- Fidelis
- Kev Rosse and Rikkard visions led to Clan Protectorate creation

In time of Nova Cat rebellion they dont guided by visions and support kesari movement.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 14:04:43 by Rncavenger »