Register Register

Author Topic: How much documentation do the Warrior Caste have?  (Read 857 times)

Krachenvogel

• Recruit
How much documentation do the Warrior Caste have?
« on: 11 June 2022, 12:42:53 »
Real life militaries love formalising and writing down just about everything- there's Books of Reference, Joint Service Publications and Aide Memoires for everything from damage control to radio communications to weapons handling.

Given the nature of the Warrior Caste, I can't see them really writing all that kind of thing down, relying more on physical training, experience and word of mouth to pass that kind of thing along. Is that an accurate way of thinking about it from the fluff?

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: How much documentation do the Warrior Caste have?
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2022, 14:08:34 »
Lots of differing opinions on this, and they really just are that, opinions. We honestly don't know.

A while back there was an interesting discussion on how detailed a warrior's official codex was. There were opinions across the board. From very detailed, both stats and narrative on that warrior. To just covering the major highlights of someone's life and experiences. There wasn't a lot of good canon data points to draw on, it was largely opinions. I see a lot of parallels to that and what you are asking.

So the honest answer is we don't know. I would say, it's mostly probably not the warriors themselves doing a lot of the data recording and tracking and proverbial paperwork (to whatever extent it is kept). It's the techs and other lower caste people who are filling what you'd think of as the administrative roles of an Inner Sphere military. Which in turn does free up the warriors to focus more on the elements you referenced.

Personally I always draw comparisons to a professional athlete. Let's say an Olympic athlete as part of a well-funded, well-organized program. Or a Formula One Driver.

You have this one person doing the actual athletics or driving that car in the race. Behind them is a lot of support personnel.

That always made a lot of sense to me.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2022, 14:12:55 by Alan Grant »

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2022, 14:43:22 »
Each clan warrior is issued with a codex, which is basicly a "super service record" and it likely documents stuff in detail.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2022, 10:53:18 »
Yeah, like "My Codex is my life" Gene mix, sibko, scores, dates, performance, mechs, assignments etc

Super detailed, as the Clans love constant constant testing and evaluations (like getting an audit and inspection done at work each week lol xp)

But like last time it was brought up, do Codex's have like a AI to help a warrior themselves and higher officers organise and search through them ? or am I just marrying science fictions ;D
« Last Edit: 12 June 2022, 10:54:55 by JAMES_PRYDE »
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

Sjhernan3060

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2022, 18:30:00 »
Yeah, like "My Codex is my life" Gene mix, sibko, scores, dates, performance, mechs, assignments etc

Super detailed, as the Clans love constant constant testing and evaluations (like getting an audit and inspection done at work each week lol xp)

But like last time it was brought up, do Codex's have like a AI to help a warrior themselves and higher officers organise and search through them ? or am I just marrying science fictions ;D

I wonder if codex’s always function like super fit bits tracking vital signs etc for long term performance monitoring

Sjhernan3060

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2022, 08:15:55 »
I wonder if codex’s always function like super fit bits tracking vital signs etc for long term performance monitoring

I gotta think that’s true esp for things like testing post major injury or limb replacement

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2022, 09:49:40 »
Each clan warrior is issued with a codex, which is basicly a "super service record" and it likely documents stuff in detail.
probably even to the point of having battle recordings of major engagements where the warrior was involved either stored on it, or accessible via it. so that you can do more than just read a page saying which battles they were in and summaries of their involvement, you can actually pull up simulations of the actual battle and watch them do it.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 09:51:17 by glitterboy2098 »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2022, 10:43:50 »
Real life militaries love formalising and writing down just about everything- there's Books of Reference, Joint Service Publications and Aide Memoires for everything from damage control to radio communications to weapons handling.

Given the nature of the Warrior Caste, I can't see them really writing all that kind of thing down, relying more on physical training, experience and word of mouth to pass that kind of thing along. Is that an accurate way of thinking about it from the fluff?

I'm sure the techs have -10s for the Mechs, and I -imagine- cadets have files to read while they're in their sibkos, but there has been nothing ever said about Clans and how they do professional development, AFAIK.  No captain's career course, no Galaxy Command School, just a "figure it out or your XO will beat you up and take over the command."

There was a HUGE discussion over in another thread about Clans vs. the old SLDF and one of the biggest things swaying it towards a SLDF victory is the fact they have dedicated professional development and Napoleonic Staffs while the Clans attack-good and shout at techs.

BUT, canonically, nah, nothing's really ever been put down, just maybe throw-away lines here and there. :-)

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2022, 13:49:19 »
probably even to the point of having battle recordings of major engagements where the warrior was involved either stored on it, or accessible via it. so that you can do more than just read a page saying which battles they were in and summaries of their involvement, you can actually pull up simulations of the actual battle and watch them do it.

I think the codex morte or less contains the results of ALL battles or rather trials. As a case in point: in the War of Reaving book the details for the Trials of Cleansing for Clan Coyote stated that a "pure" Coyote warrior has to coimbat a "tainted2 Coyoter warrior and should he/she loose the loss will be added to the codex. If we go from there it is easy to assume that all trial results will be recorded in there. Probably some results will need a proof watching of Battleroms or so in case of close calls or even draws.