Register Register

Author Topic: Hypothetical Unit Formations: Reinforced Trinary and Heavy Reinforced Trinary  (Read 394 times)

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
Working on my Clan Wolverine AU story, Best Served Cold, and I have some organizational ideas.

I've been mostly running them with what I call a "Reinforced Trinary."  Under my Wolverine's organization, they consider a Point to be one conventional vehicle, not two, because tanks in BattleTech are actually pretty awesome.  Anyway, a Reinforced Trinary is typically a Star of 'Mechs, a Star of Vehicles, then a dedicated artillery Star, reinforced (hence the name) with a Star of BattleArmor infantry (my Wolverines start out with Mk 1 Feral light PowerArmor, based off the Star League's Nighthawk suits, but upgrade to a light and eventually medium Feral Mk II and III).  My Wolverines are eventually joined by some runaways from Clan Blood Spirit, who bring ProtoMechs with them.  To fold these new units into the ToEE, they create the Heavy Reinforced Trinary.  A Point of ProtoMechs accompany two of the Stars, with the Ferals accompanying the third (usually the Artillery Star).

Because twenty-five ProtoMechs in addition to five 'Mechs, five Vehicles, or ten 'Mechs, plus artillery is just overkill.

Anyway, thoughts on this manner of organization?  Yes, it's not completely "Clanlike," but seems like a solid array of force to bring to bear on someone who needs some laser in the face.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2021, 14:29:51 by ErikModi »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
I have a similar set up in mind for my post Jihad ghost bears. Basically 5 obnoxiously large ‘novas’ that make up a reinforced supernova trinary.

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
I'm curious precisely what you mean by "obnoxiously large."  Though that turn of phrase may be the most succinct summation of Clan Ghost Bear I've ever heard.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Anyway, a Reinforced Trinary is typically a Star of 'Mechs, a Star of Vehicles, then a dedicated artillery Star, reinforced (hence the name) with a Star of BattleArmor infantry

I think this is a mixed services supernova trinary.

Around Operation Revival, some Scorpion and Wolf trinaries were composed of a Star each of mechs, fighters, and battle armor.  These were called Trinary First Mixed Services, Trinary Second Mixed Services, etc.  Your combination of mechs, combat vehicles, and artillery similarly mixes different services in a single trinary.  So I’d call it a mixed services trinary, too.  It’s certainly not a traditional assault, battle or striker trinary.

Although Spheroids use the term reinforced company, reinforced battalion, etc., Clanners do not to my knowledge.  Reinforcing a star with mechanized battle armor turns the star into a nova.  I believe anytime you have one or more novas in a binary or trinary, it becomes a supernova binary or supernova trinary.  So I think you have a Trinary Supernova Mixed Services.

My Wolverines are eventually joined by some runaways from Clan Blood Spirit, who bring ProtoMechs with them.  To fold these new units into the ToEE, they create the Heavy Reinforced Trinary.

Unless you’re running Society uns, treys, and septs, protomechs do not mechanize with mechs or vehicles in novas like battle armor or unarmored infantry.  You really need a separate star or binary for the protos.

Of course, you’re talking about Blood Spirit and Wolverine survivors linking up in your own alternate history, so organize and label your forces however you want.  I’m just trying to stick as close to the canon for these sample forces as possible.

FWIW...
« Last Edit: 13 October 2021, 08:49:09 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
That does help, actually.  Though yeah, my Wolverines are iconclasts, and missed most of the 200+ years of refinement the Clans proper put into their organizational structure.  So they pretty much make it up based on what suits their "screw honor, if we fight we fight to win" mentality.  The main character of my story invents the Reinforced Trinary early on, getting some clues about terrifying-looking Clan PowerArmors (Elementals) and attaching a Feral Star (usually serving more as shipboard marines) to hopefully counter them.  And the Wolverines have to pretty heavily play catch-up in the BattleArmor department, though not as hard as the Inner Sphere does.

From what little I've read and experimented with, ProtoMechs synergize very well with BattleMechs.  Unless you mean organizationally, which. . . yeah, a "proper" full formation of ProtoMechs quickly gets ridiculous.  A Star of ProtoMechs is the same as a Star of BattleArmor, 25 units, but that BattleArmor Star fits in five hexes, the ProtoMech Star fits in 25 (ignore stacking rules for the moment).  You can basically make a ProtoMech Advancing Wall Of Doom.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
That was what General Ariana Winston and her troops faced on Huntress.  Well, more of a never ending flow of Protomechs than a wall.  I still remember that well.  That chapter may be my favorite of all the Twilight of the Clans series.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
From what little I've read and experimented with, ProtoMechs synergize very well with BattleMechs.

It’s not a matter of synergy.  It’s a matter of mechanization.  Nova units are mechanized infantry, i.e., the infantry is using some other unit type to get around on.  Traditionally this is an omnimech/battle armor pairing.  But we have Hell’s Horses novas in FM: CC that pair combat vehicles (hovertanks) and unarmored infantry.  These must exist in the second line forces of other Clans, too.  And the design/fluff of the Kirghiz C indicates that there are aerospace fighter/battle armor pairings as well.

As a practical matter, protomechs cannot mechanize with other units.  Protos can’t mount, ride on, and dismount other units, especially under battlefield conditions.  That’s why we have no examples of novas involving protomechs.  If two units cannot mechanize, Clanner doctrine organizes them into separate stars, not novas.

The exception to this is the Society, which developed protomech-sized magclamps that allow certain proto designs to mechanize with omnimechs.  But the Society didn’t use star/nova organization, so it’s kind of a moot point, anyway.

Again, this can have as much or as little bearing on what your Blood Wolverines evolve into as you want.  But I think this is how recently departed Clanners would be thinking organizationally.

One last note, there are also Mix stars in the old Jade Falcon sourcebook, e.g., Alpha Mix 1, Alpha Mix 2, etc.  These were junky, solahma formations that created mixed services stars out of whatever was leftover from the frontline formations.  These were not novas and still limited to five points, so three mechs and two points of elementals, for example.  You could do the same with your protos, distributing them across your mechs stars.  This way your scrappy Blood Wolverines could stretch their mech forces farther and have more Mix (battlemech/protomech) stars than battlemech or protomech stars alone.  And fluff-wise, Mix stars have the feel of a irregular, survivor force.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
I'm curious precisely what you mean by "obnoxiously large."  Though that turn of phrase may be the most succinct summation of Clan Ghost Bear I've ever heard.

Ghost bear command nova is a star of mechs, star of BA and a star of artillery mechs.

Artillery mechs are basically garbage, like vees and areospace. So you run a “trinary” consisting of 5 three star novas. Gives you 25 mechs, 150 ele, 30 combat vees, 10 arty vees, and 10 aerospace fighters. Your trinary is now a short cluster plus support. And then you should attach half stars of transport vees cause ghost bears (by the time I have envisioned using this) are short on Omni-mechs. But then why half ass it, we are ghost bears. So then with the remaining half star attach more combat vees, the elementals probably would fight some trials of grievance if they don’t make it to the front alive. So now each “star” is 5 mechs, 10 aero/vee/arty, 25 elementals, 5 transports and another 5 combat vees.

In my head it only is for the 1st Tyr Assault Cluster. They are part of the mixed Rashalauge Galaxy and somehow got passed up by the 2nd Tyr for hosting the Galaxy commander. The other clusters are also have their own honors.

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
It’s not a matter of synergy.  It’s a matter of mechanization.  Nova units are mechanized infantry, i.e., the infantry is using some other unit type to get around on.  Traditionally this is an omnimech/battle armor pairing.  But we have Hell’s Horses novas in FM: CC that pair combat vehicles (hovertanks) and unarmored infantry.  These must exist in the second line forces of other Clans, too.  And the design/fluff of the Kirghiz C indicates that there are aerospace fighter/battle armor pairings as well.

As a practical matter, protomechs cannot mechanize with other units.  Protos can’t mount, ride on, and dismount other units, especially under battlefield conditions.  That’s why we have no examples of novas involving protomechs.  If two units cannot mechanize, Clanner doctrine organizes them into separate stars, not novas.

But. . . do Protos really need to mechanize?  They're pretty nimble on their own and should have no trouble keeping up with a formation on their own two legs.

The exception to this is the Society, which developed protomech-sized magclamps that allow certain proto designs to mechanize with omnimechs.  But the Society didn’t use star/nova organization, so it’s kind of a moot point, anyway.

Again, this can have as much or as little bearing on what your Blood Wolverines evolve into as you want.  But I think this is how recently departed Clanners would be thinking organizationally.

One last note, there are also Mix stars in the old Jade Falcon sourcebook, e.g., Alpha Mix 1, Alpha Mix 2, etc.  These were junky, solahma formations that created mixed services stars out of whatever was leftover from the frontline formations.  These were not novas and still limited to five points, so three mechs and two points of elementals, for example.  You could do the same with your protos, distributing them across your mechs stars.  This way your scrappy Blood Wolverines could stretch their mech forces farther and have more Mix (battlemech/protomech) stars than battlemech or protomech stars alone.  And fluff-wise, Mix stars have the feel of a irregular, survivor force.

As I recall, I did play around with replacing 'Mech/Vehicle points with ProtoMech points, which was interesting and did indeed feel very "throw whatever we happen to have into an organization and call it good."  I might have to play more with the concept and see how effective I can make it, within my extremely limited tactical flexibility (my characters are all vastly more competent in that arena than I am).

EDIT:  Did a quick little experiment in MekHQ.  My Wolverines also use C3, so adding/removing 'Mechs and Vehicles has to take that into account.  The current C3 setup is one 'Mech with a Master, one Vee with a Master, and one Vee with two, which (much to the consternation of my OCD) leaves two unused network connections.  Cutting one C3 Master leaves two 'Mech/Vee Points out of the network, which could be replaced with a Point each of Protos.  That works nicely.  My other potential arrangement was to shift to C3I, network six 'Mechs/Vees, then have four total Points of Protos.  That seems a bit much, I don't see Protos being that common.  Though the Wars of Reaving had entire Clusters of Protos being raised seemingly in the blink of an eye, so apparently the little bastards are just that easy to build.

This is great feedback, thank you very much.  Really gives me insight into the difficulties the Wolverines and Spirits are going to have integrating operationally, which is going to come up (not sure how much, exactly) in the story.

Ghost bear command nova is a star of mechs, star of BA and a star of artillery mechs.

Artillery mechs are basically garbage, like vees and areospace. So you run a “trinary” consisting of 5 three star novas. Gives you 25 mechs, 150 ele, 30 combat vees, 10 arty vees, and 10 aerospace fighters. Your trinary is now a short cluster plus support. And then you should attach half stars of transport vees cause ghost bears (by the time I have envisioned using this) are short on Omni-mechs. But then why half ass it, we are ghost bears. So then with the remaining half star attach more combat vees, the elementals probably would fight some trials of grievance if they don’t make it to the front alive. So now each “star” is 5 mechs, 10 aero/vee/arty, 25 elementals, 5 transports and another 5 combat vees.

In my head it only is for the 1st Tyr Assault Cluster. They are part of the mixed Rashalauge Galaxy and somehow got passed up by the 2nd Tyr for hosting the Galaxy commander. The other clusters are also have their own honors.

. . . okay, yeah.  That's definitely "obnoxiously large."

I don't quite understand something, though.  A "Nova" is a Star of 'Mechs and and Star of BattleArmor, adding a Star of artillery 'Mechs makes it a. . . I guess Nova Binary, since only one of the 'Mech Stars is a Nova, so it's not quite a Supernova Binary.  Or are the Ghost Bears just adding an extra Star and still calling it a Nova?

I'm also not sure where the vehicles are coming in in that formation.  Just attaching mixed Stars of ten vehicles each, designating one half-Star Artillery, another half-Star transport, and leftover halves become combat?

Nevertheless, it sounds quite formidable!
« Last Edit: 13 October 2021, 11:13:59 by ErikModi »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
A full Supernova Trinary can be up to 15 Mechs and 75 Elementals. This is not too different than what you’re proposing size-wise.

Another AU idea of mine was a Star being 5 points and then the next level (aka Trinary size) being five Stars. Then a Cluster five of those etc. Of course it spirals quickly out of control number wise especially with infantry formations.

My idea regarding your theory is these Reinforced Trinaries would be rarer in nature. Most Of these might be whole units that were decimated and then reconstituted as smaller units, sorta like RCT’s to LCT’s.

But my two cents… and now knowledge of another Wolverine AU to read.

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
Yeah, sticking completely to base five -- five Points to a Star, five Stars to a something (System?), five whatevers to a Cluster, five Clusters to a Galaxy -- does make sense.  But also quickly gets depressingly large, especially if you start throwing in units that are more than one unit to a Point, like BattleArmor and ProtoMechs.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
But. . . do Protos really need to mechanize?

For the most part, no.

As I recall, I did play around with replacing 'Mech/Vehicle points with ProtoMech points

I mixed two mechs and three proto points in the Rogue Star and Mix Stars of this Raven solahma cluster:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/clan-snow-raven-xi-penal-solahma-black-ops-the-unkindness-the-gilded-cage/msg1453167/#msg1453167

The core trinaries in this frontline Hellion cluster combine an omnimech/battle armor nova, a standard battlemech star, and a protomech star:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/9th-hellion-attack-cluster/msg1084228/#msg1084228

FWIW...

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
I like that Hellion Attack Cluster.  That's a nicely balanced mix with a good punch.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
I like that Hellion Attack Cluster.  That's a nicely balanced mix with a good punch.

Thanks.  It was an exercise in creating an effective unit where everything was faster than the typical Clan heavy cav speed of 5/8, i.e., the slowest unit is 6/9.  The combined use of omnimechs, battle armor, standard mechs, and protomechs (and auxiliary vehicles and unarmored infantry) was a nice side effect of the speed constraints.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain

Another potentially useful link... this Horse Keshik combines QuadVee points and ProtoMech points in the same “Mixed” stars:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/chh-omicron-keshik/msg1453228/#msg1453228

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I think this is a mixed services supernova trinary.

I wouldn't even call it that.  I'd just call it a Mixed Services Trinary.
    Only 1 Nova Star in it, if you can't hit 50% "Novas" then you don't qualify as a "Super Nova"
That's my logic & I'm sticking w/ it.

Also 2 of the Falcon Guard Trinaries on Twycross were called Trinaries & each of them had 1 Nova in it, so it sort of follows a canon example.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel

Huh?
Where are you getting that is a single star/Nova?
That sounds like a Command Trinary from their Keshiks IIRC.
IIRC it was that their "Command Trinaries" were a total of 4 Stars in them.   2 Stars & 1 Nova.

I don't quite understand something, though.  A "Nova" is a Star of 'Mechs and and Star of BattleArmor, adding a Star of artillery 'Mechs makes it a. . . I guess Nova Binary, since only one of the 'Mech Stars is a Nova, so it's not quite a Supernova Binary.  Or are the Ghost Bears just adding an extra Star and still calling it a Nova?

I'm also not sure where the vehicles are coming in in that formation.  Just attaching mixed Stars of ten vehicles each, designating one half-Star Artillery, another half-Star transport, and leftover halves become combat?

I'm thinking that is not right.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
Okay, I had to go dig to research that.

Per Invading Clans, that Command Nova isn't a regular thing.

Its not even listed in the other Keshiks.

It is completely unique to the Khan's personal Ourse Keshik which is a "Reinforced Trinary/SuperNova" with a total of 6 stars in strength.

Alpha Command Star  (5 Omnimechs)
Bravo Command STar  (5 Omnimechs)
Alpha Fighter Star  (10 Fighters)
Alpha Battle Nova  (5 Omnimechs, 25 Elementals,  5 Artillery "PIECES")

Note the wording, Artillery Pieces

Technically that could be stand alone field artillery.

Nowhere does it say they are actual mechs or even vees.

The same unit in FM:WC is listed as a Trinary in force & described as a SuperNova.

In no way shape or form would I ever say its legit to try & form entire trinaries built out of that ad-hoc Command Keshik 1-off example.

I also have no idea where your getting all the vees from.

I don't have an issue with the Keshik's size, at 6 stars its really no different than the Wolf Keshiks that are 2 Trinaries in strength, 1 Command, 1 Support.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
I wouldn't even call it that.  I'd just call it a Mixed Services Trinary.
    Only 1 Nova Star in it, if you can't hit 50% "Novas" then you don't qualify as a "Super Nova"
That's my logic & I'm sticking w/ it.

Then a binary with one nova and one star is a Supernova Binary in your world?

Also 2 of the Falcon Guard Trinaries on Twycross were called Trinaries & each of them had 1 Nova in it, so it sort of follows a canon example.

I can go with that.  I think there are also some in the JF sourcebook.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2021, 00:08:48 by Natasha Kerensky »

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
Then a binary with one nova and one star is a Supernova Binary in your world?

I can go with that.  I think there are also some in the JF sourcebook.

Yeah, though IIRC, "my world" is mostly just based on a few examples from Scenario & Source books.
Seems like if it hits 50% Nova's its a "Super Nova"
Falcon Guards is a Trinary with 33% Novas
I'm sure somewhere out there are a few more examples that I came across to come up with this "logic"  hehe.
If I was to guess, the other examples might be from Luthien or Twilight of the Clans scenario packs but I don't honestly recall.
Just seems to be something I picked up years ago.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
Yeah, though IIRC, "my world" is mostly just based on a few examples from Scenario & Source books.
Seems like if it hits 50% Nova's its a "Super Nova"

A man must have principles.