Register Register

Author Topic: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III  (Read 43106 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III
« Reply #390 on: 07 December 2021, 02:25:30 »
So, anyone have any thoughts on the Doom Courser?

I hate it.

I am slightly biased in my opinion
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #391 on: 07 December 2021, 04:34:00 »
So, anyone have any thoughts on the Doom Courser?
It is the anti-Balius. Where the Balius is all about flitting from bush to bush, the Doom Courser is about going straight up the middle and wearing the hits. Or find a bush, crouch. and stay there like a smaller Thunderstallion.

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #392 on: 07 December 2021, 04:46:37 »
It also seems like it should be dropping off a Point of LRM Gnomes the turn before entering weapons range.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
« Reply #393 on: 07 December 2021, 05:05:16 »
It is the anti-Balius. Where the Balius is all about flitting from bush to bush, the Doom Courser is about going straight up the middle and wearing the hits. Or find a bush, crouch. and stay there like a smaller Thunderstallion.

It's also the anti-Balius in that every configuration is great. I think it's worth nothing how incredibly rare that is for an OmniMech.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #394 on: 07 December 2021, 13:14:46 »
It's also the anti-Balius in that every configuration is great. I think it's worth nothing how incredibly rare that is for an OmniMech.

To me, most were over-sinked. Dropping some heat sinks for more weapons or equipment is a viable option for most of them.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kojak

• Major
« Reply #395 on: 07 December 2021, 14:52:22 »
With the proliferation of plasma weapons on the modern battlefield, a 4/6 running cool is no bad thing -- movement penalties are lethal for a unit that slow.

- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #396 on: 08 December 2021, 21:28:47 »
Its just kind of..eh. I mean, its a slower Clan Quad with a turret. If you were telling someone about it that didn't know what it was, they'd probably go "Oh, you mean the Thunder Stallion?"

I'm curious to play with it, but I think the result might be "Okay."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #397 on: 09 December 2021, 16:57:42 »
@ Marlwys

So your saying that my 666th just got a new toy?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #398 on: 09 December 2021, 19:12:56 »
I mean, its perfectly fine. Since its an Omni you can use it to transport BA. Since its 4/6 it would probably fit right in with the 666th, and might even be considered fast :)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #399 on: 09 December 2021, 22:09:22 »
The slow speed had the crawling Hell's Horses wall in mind.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #400 on: 09 December 2021, 23:14:38 »
So :

Procyon (Quad), Proto
Boggart, Proto
Buraq, BA

Quadvees

Quad Mechs

Yeah... a " Horde " of horse-shaped units to play with!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #401 on: 11 December 2021, 18:41:34 »
I know my local opponent would love to field one: he’s not a fan of proxies per se but I can probably give him a couple record sheets and he’ll go nuts with them.

I like the design even if it’s a bit slow for its weight. I only have a problem with the D variant personally. For me it seems really undergunned (even with a massive ammo bin for that HAG)

Negatorxx

• Corporal
  • 44th Shadow Division
« Reply #402 on: 14 December 2021, 11:50:07 »
All i know is that the Doom Courser is unbelievably visually boring. 
-Bringing Blake's Peace to megamek servers since 2009

http://www.mekwarslegends.com/Home_Page.html

ManicMaestro

• Private
« Reply #403 on: 23 December 2021, 13:02:16 »
Hail equine trothkin,

I am building out a few Hell's Horses TO&Es for a campaign I am running with some friends. Setting would be in the 3050's, so recovering from Niles but before the Great Refusal. They would start in a second line battlemech cluster and (hopefully) fight their way to glory in a front line unit.

Looking for what your thoughts are on reasonable cluster compositions. Turning Points: Tokasha just has every star in every cluster be a nova, but that represents an older TO&E when the Horses were on the rise with their new mech factories.

FM: Crusader clans just says 2/3 of mech stars are novas and there's a mix of mechs and elementals in every trinary. How do you all build a cluster sized force? Do you change it significantly based on type (Mechanized Cav, Strike, Assault, etc.) other than unit weight?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #404 on: 23 December 2021, 14:42:11 »
Hail equine trothkin,

I am building out a few Hell's Horses TO&Es for a campaign I am running with some friends. Setting would be in the 3050's, so recovering from Niles but before the Great Refusal. They would start in a second line battlemech cluster and (hopefully) fight their way to glory in a front line unit.

Looking for what your thoughts are on reasonable cluster compositions. Turning Points: Tokasha just has every star in every cluster be a nova, but that represents an older TO&E when the Horses were on the rise with their new mech factories.

FM: Crusader clans just says 2/3 of mech stars are novas and there's a mix of mechs and elementals in every trinary. How do you all build a cluster sized force? Do you change it significantly based on type (Mechanized Cav, Strike, Assault, etc.) other than unit weight?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Hell%27s_Horses_Touman

that has some pictures and descriptions of various clusters. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #405 on: 23 December 2021, 16:10:12 »
Why isn't the Mechanized Infantry cluster mentioned on Sarna?  Is it not in FM Warden Clans?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #406 on: 23 December 2021, 23:52:52 »
Why isn't the Mechanized Infantry cluster mentioned on Sarna?  Is it not in FM Warden Clans?

Mechanized Infantry cluster?

It really depends on what you want. Since you're looking for a second line cluster you can also do just a generic cluster that allows you to tailor things the way you want. Ratios of BM/BA, weight classes, etc.

You also might want to look at how you'll be deploying things. Are you going to be deploying small Stars with some support? Maybe your mech stars should be more jack of all trades. Or maybe you'll be deploying them in Trinary strength, an so you can make the stars more specialized, since each Star will be supporting each other.

Are you comfortable with Conventional infantry? Are you going to be wanting to use transports for them? Are you going to want to have some variety in them, are just copy paste?

Is aerospace going to matter? Do you want to swap that out? Lots of questions to think about when you're making it.

edit
Added some more questions
/edit
« Last Edit: 23 December 2021, 23:55:31 by Maelwys »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #407 on: 25 December 2021, 14:17:28 »
So how about your new Elementals: very nice?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #408 on: 25 December 2021, 14:28:19 »

200 more BV is a massive amount but I think they look good in small numbers. They can be more easily fielded by slow forces or with limited transport, they have good defensive numbers at long range.

I can see them being used instead of HeadHunter points now.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #409 on: 25 December 2021, 19:47:53 »

Let's break this down...

Average " Cluster " consists of four to five Binary / Trinary, some happen to be Nova style.

Each Star is made up of up to five points, yes that means the abstracted unit rules can be used here, pg. 329 SO

How much munch spam can you handle before your choked by your friends in a game?

All jokes aside, one can use any combination to create a cluster of your choice, with Faction fluff.

My example is this:

If we assume a standard straight Cluster, we could have a weird unit.

Average Trinary is 15 Mechs, but you can look at it this way, Command Star with a support Binary. They can both be made into a Nova style without being too complicated. A Star fights as one, so do Binaries and Trinaries, but breaking up the larger units make their cohesion faulty. ( That's a fluff thing mostly... we Horses can make a hell out of ourselves by running larger units as one. )

Also, in an average Cluster, you'd get another Trinary of Aero, that's 30 ASF.

Given the fact that "  2/3 of mech stars are novas and there's a mix of mechs and elementals in every trinary " is true.

We can assume the following as well :

45 Mechwarriors
30 Aerojocks
75 Elementals

150 total for a " classic " cluster.

Now add in Support, we Horses use another Trinary of Tanks and maybe another of Infantry, non-BA.

That gives us 4 full Trinaries to run with... but again, how much munch spam can you handle before your choked by your friends in a game?

If I was to use this, I'd be asked to explain why. I mean, it's not all Dire Wolf Widowmakers ( All three configs. ) and Toads with Mars XL / Kokou XL and Fast Recon Infantry with my Aero being all Xerxes / Xerxes 2.

I'd rather have :

Command Nova, Binary Nova
Command Mech, Binary Mech
Binary Mech
Binary Tank Nova ( PBI )
Binary Aero

But then we have Protos... where would you place them? Fluff wise, it should be for a Mech unit, so maybe the Binary Mech? I'd run Mech and Proto Binary.

Also did you knew that running the above using Abstract is fun?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Kojak

• Major
« Reply #410 on: 26 December 2021, 14:27:39 »

I love them, but I'm biased.

- Klarg1

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #411 on: 26 December 2021, 16:41:31 »
I love them, but I'm biased.

How so? Did you create them?

Also in response to TT: what about the QuadVee’s!!!!?  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #412 on: 26 December 2021, 16:58:56 »
Those would be maximum of a Star for the entire cluster, no more...

Or replace the Tank Binary entirely...

If you want to include those :

Exercise Cluster:

Command Nova, Binary Nova
Command Mech, Binary Mech / Proto
Command Tank Nova ( PBI ), Binary QuadVee
Binary Aero

Just a thought exercise..,

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #413 on: 14 January 2022, 19:23:53 »
From the Tamar Rising preview linked to elsewhere on the boards:

This would be Delta Galaxy being portrayed here, quiaff?

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #414 on: 15 January 2022, 11:41:18 »
Very nice. The Mech is a Grendel, is not it?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #415 on: 15 January 2022, 14:42:26 »
Very nice. The Mech is a Grendel, is not it?

That was my thought too.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #416 on: 15 January 2022, 15:01:05 »
That was my thought too.

With a beam weapon in the head, two in the left arm, and four missile ports on the right torso, I think it’s a Mongrel (Grendel) H.  The Prime, J, and T also have beam weapons in those locations but sport SRM-6s in the right torso, not SRM-4s.

Definitely Delta Galaxy insignia.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register