Register Register

Author Topic: New Bloodhouses Post-Jihad  (Read 1444 times)

The Wobbly Guy

• Sergeant
New Bloodhouses Post-Jihad
« on: 09 July 2022, 07:38:01 »
Post-Jihad, we know the clans started to have Trials of Founding for new Bloodnames. But the specifics are really lacking, AFAIK. And it provides nice angles for discussion. The following is mostly my speculation:

1. Usually, the Trial to establish a Bloodname involves a champion from a family of proven warriors with a strong overall track record, which is interesting in its own right. Presuming the champion won, how will the 10 awarded Bloodrights be distributed? The newly founded Bloodhouse probably can't wait 20 years for the genetic descendants of the champion to come up through the eugenics program. So... probably the other members of the family will get a shot at the Bloodnames. My head-take on it is that politics and merit will come into play, the clan which allowed the Founding will then set parameters on how far the eligible family members can be related to the champion. At least up to 3rd cousins? If the common ancestor at a certain point had a high proportion of successful progeny, then with input from the scientists it will be set at that common ancestor.

2. There might not be even enough members for proper Trials of Bloodright, at least for the first generation. How then will the Trials be conducted? I suspect the contenders have to face at least a set number of Trials, if not against their own Bloodhouse, then against Bloodname holders from other Bloodhouses. Of course, the opposing members can always pull off what happened for Vlad, and concede defeat without fighting. It might even be that the Bloodright is not taken up and left empty until there are worthy contenders who can fight their way through.

3. These new Bloodhouses would be interesting mixes of both Inner Sphere and Clan cultures. Take Kell for example. Not only are they a Bloodhouse, but the IS side is a powerful aristocratic title with extensive holdings. It's very likely that many of these new Bloodhouses have significant influence on the IS side, and they're not likely to give up these advantages (e.g. Magnusson, Miraborg).

a. My headtake - these Houses are classified as Amalgamated Houses, similar to how the clans are classified. There will a leader on the aristocratic side holding the highest title (e.g. Grand Duke of Arc-Royal), and a leader on the clan side, the Bloodhouse leader. Between the two, they'll hash out who's the overall House Leader. It's even possible for the Bloodhouse leader to hold the aristocratic title, but this is usually avoided due to conflicts of interest.

b. Freeborns from the aristocratic side can, with the Khan's permission, fight for Bloodnames, subject to the ancestral cutoff (point 1). Similarly, trueborn warriors from the Bloodhouse can 'retire' to civilian roles in their aristocratic holdings (demesne), or even take up hereditary titles on the aristocratic side even if trueborn, if there are no overt conflicts of interests. For the aristocratic side, the clans serve as a huge pool of possible candidates, especially if they use lateral systems of succession.

c. For this reason, the freeborns on the non-clan side start to NOT take surnames. Rather, and this is rather Game of Throne-ish, they will say, 'I am ___ of House ____'. Partly out of respect for the clan Bloodhouse side, partly to leave the opening to trial for a Bloodname and all its attached prestige later.

4. Headtake: Another type of Amalgamated Bloodhouse are the 'Rediscovered' types, where the clan Bloodhouse affirms its relations with the ancestral family of its Founder who left with Kerensky. When the SLDF took in volunteers from the Houses, many were scions of martial and aristocratic families (e.g. Ward?) and left with Kerensky. Due to the need to increase the gene pool (I've heard it said 'shrank from a puddle to a petri-dish') and reduce inbreeding, those Bloodhouses which could trace their Founder back to a martial/noble family did so, and took in eligible warriors as abtakha and even gave them opportunities to compete for Bloodnames ala Phelan. This also resulted in the aristocratic side to formalise relations with the clan side, giving them an avenue to obtain clan tech and other advantages in exchange for resources. An additional head-take I have on this is that the Shark-Foxes specifically chose their trading worlds and enclaves where they have such relations with aristocratic families on these worlds.

5. As ilKhan, Alaric is likely to further encourage the formation of these Amalgamated Houses, as it solidifies the rule of the clans by suborning the aristocratic families, many which still hold sway amongst the masses.

What's your take on this?

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Re: New Bloodhouses Post-Jihad
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2022, 09:27:38 »
Scorpions did it with ELH
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2022, 13:47:23 »
I think the Wolves will more or less be forced to create more bloodnames to induct Terrans / former Republicans into their army. Making them simple auxiliaries might not be enough. Though the candiates might be soldiers rather then nobles (of course it might be a soldier from a noble family). Or do you honestly think they can fill their gaps with pure clan warriors? Not likely. They have absorbed several RAF troops so maybe they will go from there. We might get a Campell bloodhouse within the Jade Falcons

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2022, 01:52:25 »
generally speaking a blood house doesn't get to hand out bloodnames to other people, all members of the bloodhouse are held by the descendants of a bloodhouse found, in THEORY freeborn children would be able to get a bloodname (so if Justin Allard founded an allard bloodhouse, Kai and his siblings would have been able to aquire the Allard bloodname)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2022, 01:58:19 »
We might get a Campell bloodhouse within the Jade Falcons

Now I would like to see that  :thumbsup:, better PR for us going into the ilClan Era (cough cough, Northwind too perhaps ;))

Will be interesting to see what Jiyi does on his end of things too. Solhama, freeborn Bloodhouse descendants, formerly relegated sibko warriors getting trained up and back into the fight ? Merging some Falcon and Bear Genes ? Same with Jags 2.0 ? New Earth units and Ristars following Prokhaska Moon into ilClan ?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2022, 02:09:33 by JAMES_PRYDE »
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2022, 04:31:51 »
I'd suspect that they would wait the 20+ years for the descendants of the Bloodname House's founder to come of age and open up availability for bloodheritages then. The number of bloodheritages opened up for Trial being at least partially based on the number of viable contenders available for a Trial of Bloodright.

That's how it was handled with the original 800. There was nothing wrong with that approach.

In the aftermath of the Wars of Reaving, when DNA-targeted viruses wiped out most members of certain Bloodname Houses like Tseng, they intentionally shelved many bloodheritages of that Bloodname House, reducing what had probably been Bloodname Houses of 20+ bloodheritages to 5 or less. They'd stay that way until the appropriate population numbers came back up.

Some of the fluff on this post-Jihad indicates that the Inner Sphere Clans focused on quality over quantity. Yes new Bloodname Houses were created. But bloodheritages of some existing lines were also trimmed. The Clans devoted some of the time between the end of the Jihad and the Dark Age trying to send the eugenics program forward in a meaningful way toward creating new generations of warriors that would have put the warriors of 3050 to shame in terms of their skills and abilities.

Whether they succeeded or not isn't really the point. They went out of their way to fight mediocrity wherever they saw it. They'd rather a Bloodname House had 5 bloodheritages than 10 or 15, if it would limit Bloodnames to only the truly excellent warriors of that group and leave the more mediocre warriors behind without a bloodname and outside of the eugenics program.

So opening up bloodheritages for new bloodname houses, just to get bloodheritages open (just because arbitrary reasons) flies in the face of what we know about the Clans in the post-Jihad era.

Now I'm speaking Post-Jihad to Dark Age. I'm a little behind on the IlClan era stuff so keep that in mind. Whole new era, could mean whole new policies.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2022, 04:35:56 by Alan Grant »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2022, 05:03:58 »
Now I'm speaking Post-Jihad to Dark Age. I'm a little behind on the IlClan era stuff so keep that in mind. Whole new era, could mean whole new policies.

Probably, hype around Native Terran units in the new SLDF, mixing with Traditional Galaxies, even the society model for ilClan...would it be fair to say it is gonna follow RasDom / Scoprion model, of course with its own special flavor ?

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2022, 13:06:47 »
Probably, hype around Native Terran units in the new SLDF, mixing with Traditional Galaxies, even the society model for ilClan...would it be fair to say it is gonna follow RasDom / Scoprion model, of course with its own special flavor ?

I am confident it has to. Otherwise how will the Clan elite rule over a society that numbers in the billions? After reading through IlClan Alaric better respect Terra's population least his army experiences what happens to the Falcon's Tau galaxy.

Thoguh I would suspect that possible candidates come from either honorable Republic soldiers or even old families that served in the original SLDF

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2022, 01:23:29 »
I am confident it has to. Otherwise how will the Clan elite rule over a society that numbers in the billions? After reading through IlClan Alaric better respect Terra's population least his army experiences what happens to the Falcon's Tau galaxy.

Thoguh I would suspect that possible candidates come from either honorable Republic soldiers or even old families that served in the original SLDF

What happened with Tau Galaxy ?

Original families, that would be good PR, if that does happen do you think ELH would be interested ? Or approached for Trials for genetic material ? or simply direct descendants ? or even an offer (again for PR) to be part of new SLDF (or would they refuse, hating what the Clans are to them ?)

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2022, 02:30:15 »
What happened with Tau Galaxy ?

Jade Falcon Tau Galaxy combat dropped on Japan and where wiped out to the last man as pretty much the entire archipelligo had become a fortress with the ENTIRE POPULATION taking up arms

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2022, 07:38:57 »
Jade Falcon Tau Galaxy combat dropped on Japan and where wiped out to the last man as pretty much the entire archipelligo had become a fortress with the ENTIRE POPULATION taking up arms

wow

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2022, 11:08:25 »
As far as we know, the ONLY new Bloodhouses post Jihad were from the Bears (Magnusson & Miraborg) and Warden Wolves (Brahe) though the Warden Wolves did create their own Bloodhouses from former Jaguars like Moon & Wimmer.  The Nova Cats Kurita non-bloodname is a weird case with the Mystics (which makes candidates for the Combine's throne interesting . . . ).

Which was the case until Alaric started integrating his League & Lyran warriors, with the sufficiently indoctrinated trying to establish their own Bloodhouses.  Very few actually managed to do it, the RecGuides give us the most information on that which is not too much.

Miraborg is always the weird one to me . . . the Clans honored Tyra, but did she have siblings?  Her father was a invalid . . . so who fought in the Trial to create the name?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2022, 13:42:32 »
Miraborg is always the weird one to me . . . the Clans honored Tyra, but did she have siblings?  Her father was a invalid . . . so who fought in the Trial to create the name?

I would assume that the Miraborg line still has other siblings from the Iron Jarl who maybe married without keeping their names. So If they were soldiers they might have been eligable for a test.Just look at the Ziblers: you can throw a rock in the Fed suns and probably hit one of them.