Register Register

Author Topic: New Clans?  (Read 1742 times)

Generic Clanner 24601

• Private
Re: New Clans?
« Reply #30 on: 18 September 2021, 16:54:28 »
I think Alaric will reform the Cats, maybe split the Foxes turning them into several Clans, tear down the Horses and remake them (bye bye ProtoMechs and QuadVees), and probably reform another couple of Clans simply so he can control the vast territory around Terra and beyond

I don't see this. Alaric might want to, but the Wolves can't fight against all of IS and most of the IS Clans.

The only Clans he has full support is Wolf, the few survivors of Jade Falcon, and the Smoke Jaguar which are a new Clan and have no industrial base.

The Hell's Horses hate him. The Ghost Bears are in very much a wait and see approach. The Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens are opportunists who give their support because he won, but are far loyal.

Trying to break up a Clan or remake a Clan (like telling the Hell's Horses to get rid of combined arms) would be a step too far and turn all the other Clans against him. After all, if the Alaric can break up the Sea Foxes, why can't he break up the Ghost Bears too? If he can tell the Hell's Horses no more combined arms, why can't he tell the Snow Ravens no more Aerospace?

The only way that would be acceptable would be if the Wolves absorb a Clan and spin them out as a "new" Clan. That's not to say he won't try to influence the other Clans. He might try to give the Snow Ravens the job of running the Star League navy and influence them through that. But a heavy hand will leave the Wolves with no support of any significant faction.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #31 on: 19 September 2021, 03:03:55 »
Following their victory in the Trial industrial base and supplies will be the last thing the 3 Clans on Terra worry about and I'm sure the Foxes will sell to them
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Phantom000

• Private
« Reply #32 on: 21 September 2021, 18:46:46 »
I am sure the Grand Council could call a Trial of Propagation to create a new Clan without an ilKhan.

It is also likely that there are a number of clans that are not formally recognized by the grand council. If the Periphery can have 'bandit kingdoms' then why can't the clans have 'bandit clans?' There probably are a number of these, but like the dark caste itself, the clans do not formally recognize them.

I do wonder what might happen if a collection of free-births called themselves 'Clan Mantis' or something, and demanded a trial to be formally recognized as a Clan?

GuyIncognito

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 21 September 2021, 19:54:06 »
It is also likely that there are a number of clans that are not formally recognized by the grand council. If the Periphery can have 'bandit kingdoms' then why can't the clans have 'bandit clans?' There probably are a number of these, but like the dark caste itself, the clans do not formally recognize them.

I do wonder what might happen if a collection of free-births called themselves 'Clan Mantis' or something, and demanded a trial to be formally recognized as a Clan?

Khan Yoritomo?

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #34 on: 21 September 2021, 20:43:34 »
I'd have a new Clan to support after the betrayal of the Wolves in Exile if a Clan Mantis existed
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #35 on: 21 September 2021, 20:55:28 »
That was one of the more creative things I've seen said here in a while.

All hail the Mantis

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 22 September 2021, 07:52:54 »
That was one of the more creative things I've seen said here in a while.

All hail the Mantis

I love this idea, a bunch of bubbas saying "we're good enough" and fighting their way into the grand council.  The SLDF fought to be RECOGNIZED by the Clan council, but they never asked to JOIN them.

Fun stuff!  All hail Clan Mantis!

Phantom000

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 22 September 2021, 13:49:30 »
I love this idea, a bunch of bubbas saying "we're good enough" and fighting their way into the grand council.  The SLDF fought to be RECOGNIZED by the Clan council, but they never asked to JOIN them.

Fun stuff!  All hail Clan Mantis!

Cool! One reason I started this thread is I wanted to see what other people might come up with if they created their own Clan, but I was not sure how well that would fit with the lore since most of the books i've read focus on the IS.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #38 on: 24 September 2021, 15:14:08 »
You mean nobody had the audacity?
Crichell didn't have any legal authority that the Mandrills didn't have. There's no law that we know of (or with the Clans, no dictates from Nicholas Kerensky or writings to interpret) that allowed Crichell to do so when the Mandrills couldn't.
I'm going to go with "Might makes right".  Nobody objected to Crichell doing it, so he got to do it. If the Mandrills had tried it, plenty of Clans would have taught them a lesson?

It is stated that the ability to form a new Clan is a process explicitly granted by Nicholas Kerensky.

The main reason it was never used is because such Clans would likely be seen as weak and subject to predation. 

It was only political necessity that prompted the Falcons to form the Jade Wolves...if they'd simply undone their Absorption, then they would have to fight the Wolves and neither Clan wanted that. Similarly, with the Wolves guilty of genocide by Clan law, Vlad couldn't just transfer assets back and reclaim the legacy...his Wolves would then be subject to Annihilation...so he simply created a new Clan Wolf, and transferred assets from the Jade Wolves to the new Clan Wolf, leaving the "legal entity" that was the old Clan Wolf empty...the same fate that awaited the Jade Wolf Clan.

Normally, however, those political considerations aren't in play.

The formation of a new Clan is something that would be undertaken only as a last resort. The Fire Mandrills probably should have enacted it, but sticking together, even as loosely as they did, probably kept them alive.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #39 on: 24 September 2021, 19:21:46 »
I find it hilarious that the Jade Wolves were a new Clan and by creating a 'New' Clan Wolf they were by default a new Clan. Which made Phelans Wolves the original Wolf Clan by default. So the Wolves that captured Terra were actually among the youngest Clans in existence. Less than 100 years old.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 24 September 2021, 22:07:52 »
It is stated that the ability to form a new Clan is a process explicitly granted by Nicholas Kerensky.

Much like the ability to create a new Bloodname, its a power that was never used because it doesn't fit the Clan mentality. The Trial system and the concept of the ilClan have always meant that winning meant bringing finite resources into your Clan until you became the dominant power. The early Annihilation of the Wolverines and the Absorption of the Widowmakers and Mongooses cemented the idea that the number of Clans would decrease as some got stronger. Kerensky never declared that Highlander rules where in effect, but it was a part of the psychology of the people holding the power to expand the Clans.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #41 on: 24 September 2021, 22:15:31 »
Yes, and that expansion is most expediently actuated at the expense of other Clans.  Nicky K. even chastised the Blood Spirits for not going with the flow as directed.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2021, 22:17:32 by rebs »

Register