Register Register

Author Topic: Non military clan tech stuff  (Read 2145 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Lieutenant
Non military clan tech stuff
« on: 21 July 2020, 09:07:56 »
One of the things I love about battletech is the names of the various pieces of tech. “ sunglo” brand lazers or “ goal keeper” anti missile systems come to mind, but what about very basic things like shoes or pants?

For example do all laborers across the clans were the same type of boot? Would it have a catchy name like “ durawear” I know adds and marketing were pretty much unknown to the clans...

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
Re: Non military clan tech stuff
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2020, 23:35:25 »
Clan shoes are probably called IlFitting, and they make you wish a dropship would land on you by the end of a work day.

Here's one...  are Jade Falcon underwear green?  Or is underwear really a Spheroid indulgence that warriors eschew?  If they do have undies, do they chafe so bad the wearer calls them "meanie greenies"?

Here's a slightly more serious one: do the Clans have playing cards?  Are the paint cards called Lore Master (Jack), SaKhan (Queen),  and Khan (King)?  Is the Ace a Ristar?  I imagine this would in fact be true, knowing the Clans as well as I do. 

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2020, 12:56:51 »
We know the Clans have television as they have at least 1 children's cartoons.  We know they possess superior HPG technology compared to the Inner Sphere.

I really think it was a missed opportunity by the writers to make the Clans militarily superior in technology, but then have their civilians worse off than the average Inner Sphere person.  It would make it much more believable for people to accept Clan conquest if the Clans offered a far superior yet more restrictive standard of living compared to the barbarian lives of most Spheroids.
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2020, 14:10:07 »
I imagine that a lot of mundane stuff has seen only minor, incremental improvements. Take shoes.

If we wanted to, we could make shoe laces out of similar high performance fibers as climbing ropes, but why?
Similarly, the Clans, or the IS could make a pair of work boots with ferro fiberous toe caps, and an upper made from some super abrasion/flame/chemical resistant material, but why?  A pair of leather steel toe boots will do the job at 1/10 the price, at least for 90% of users.

One place that I do see improvements happening is materials like Gortex.  If you can make a boot that is abrasion/flame/chemical resistant, waterproof, and breathable?  SIGN ME UP!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sjhernan3060

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2020, 15:40:19 »
We know the Clans have television as they have at least 1 children's cartoons.  We know they possess superior HPG technology compared to the Inner Sphere.

I really think it was a missed opportunity by the writers to make the Clans militarily superior in technology, but then have their civilians worse off than the average Inner Sphere person.  It would make it much more believable for people to accept Clan conquest if the Clans offered a far superior yet more restrictive standard of living compared to the barbarian lives of most Spheroids.

That makes sense to me as the homeworlds are pretty describe as being very tough to live in and depending on the clan you are in say coyote or jag if you are not a Warrior it’s a rough time until you die!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2020, 18:01:14 »
I believe somewhere it was written that Clantech was seeping into Rasalhague industry. It would be a throwaway line because of how rarely it comes up.
Likewise Battletech construction rules are so coarse it is impossible to tell the difference between a Chevy and a Royals Royce. Let's just say a F tech car has a lot of empty weight you can't spend on anything.

Sjhernan3060

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2021, 13:03:18 »
I would assume a clan warrior eats their usual meals at the mess hall of their barracks but what about when they go off base? What do they pay with? I know clan currency is the Krenseky ( a big coin as I recall) but I also seem to recall it was rarely issued. So how do warriors get their “petty cash?”

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2021, 13:08:57 »
Feed me, freebirth scum, before I kill you.

I would assume a clan warrior eats their usual meals at the mess hall of their barracks but what about when they go off base? What do they pay with? I know clan currency is the Krenseky ( a big coin as I recall) but I also seem to recall it was rarely issued. So how do warriors get their “petty cash?”

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2021, 13:10:49 »
I figure Clanners rarely go outside bases.
Path of Glory did have Zane and another Nova Cat go to a restaurant, so presumably they had means to pay. Perhaps within Inner Sphere, Clan warriors have some kind of off-duty pay ("you got weekend off, here's 500 K-bills") or some kind "communal credit card" they use for stuff like this.
Given the how Clanners are raised and how they live, i doubt Clans really need to worry about them going to ridiculous spending spree.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2021, 13:16:17 »
Hands free connection to their codex for payment where available. I suspect the coins would only be used in very underdeveloped sections of the Homeworlds and Inner Sphere

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2021, 13:24:58 »
Hands free connection to their codex for payment where available. I suspect the coins would only be used in very underdeveloped sections of the Homeworlds and Inner Sphere
Seems reasonable... but not very future of the 80s  ;D
Wireless, network connected wrist-mounted device, perfectly logical for today, but 30+ years ago?
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2021, 13:27:23 »
They had cyberpunk, heck I'm surprised Clanners didn't just get chipped its actually retro for them to have bracelets and the like for codices

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2021, 13:40:14 »
They had cyberpunk, heck I'm surprised Clanners didn't just get chipped its actually retro for them to have bracelets and the like for codices
BattleTech avoids cyberpunk stylings mostly though, except perhaps the corporate presences in the Draconis Combine. And the Word of Blake Manei Domini.

Maybe wireless payment methods are lostech...
-What's the difference?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2021, 13:52:16 »
Random comments:

All Clan spacecraft - namely even their versions of stock IS JumpShips - are upgraded with superior computers and HarJel hull sealant safety systems.

In Forever Faithful, Huntress features regular bars to drink and eat (for money). It's obviously meant as setting but it incidentally gives some insights into everyday Clan life. (Icons of War is still in my to-read queue.)

As for Clan underwear, we do know that canonically, Clan Nova Cat had access to diminutive red thongs as of ca. 3055.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ErikModi

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2021, 22:45:13 »
In. . . uh. . . crap, the third Twilight of the Clans novel, the one about Task Force Serpent traveling far into the Deep Periphery to pay a little visit to Huntress, they pick up some Clan bondsmen, and one of them is surprised when he goes to work on a reactor or something and is given a radiation suit and rebreather (or something like that), because the Clans' whole philosophy is "live fast, die young," so they don't really issue safety gear.  So I imagine there's some areas they lag far behind just due to lack of interest in their warrior-driven culture.

That said, there are certainly some Scientists who are in the "knowledge for knowledge sake" game, and that could have effects on assorted civilian tech and gear.  But first and foremost everything is for the warriors.  I really don't see advanced materials making their way into common clothing unless its cheap and easy to produce (remember the Clan homeworlds are also infamously resource-poor), or necessary for some specific reason.

And they have a Merchant caste, so they clearly have some understanding of commerce and currency.
Best Served Cold (Clan Wolverine AU)

House Northman (Partial, Abandoned)

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2021, 03:17:59 »
There is also something interesting: the Clans actually share cartoons from the IS. In the Wars of Reaving starting story the two Coyote warriors joke about the "Adam Steiner cartoon series" and they also have videos about the Solaris VII games. Also one interesting note: Chandrasekhar Kurita actually sold consumer electronics and toys to the Clans who reside in the IS (though I would guess those are more distributed to their IS populations who are used to live in a more "extravagant" manner then Clan civilians)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Master Sergeant
  • Stephanie Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #16 on: 01 November 2021, 08:02:25 »
Who knows, by 3151 onwards, the Inner Sphere is even more mixed, especially with Clan tech, both military and civilian, plus Clan "sub-culture" mixing with IS worlds, in ever changing planetary territories, since 3060, follow the (attempted) Great Refusal, plus Sea Foxes roaming around, the ilClan Era has more potential to show more the "civilian" side of the "Mixed 3151" IS, or even more insight into Clan Lower Castes, after all, the Clans on Terra now, will have to integrate with the native Terrans, if they want real growth as the SLDF...
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 01 November 2021, 13:00:32 »
There is also something interesting: the Clans actually share cartoons from the IS. In the Wars of Reaving starting story the two Coyote warriors joke about the "Adam Steiner cartoon series" and they also have videos about the Solaris VII games. Also one interesting note: Chandrasekhar Kurita actually sold consumer electronics and toys to the Clans who reside in the IS (though I would guess those are more distributed to their IS populations who are used to live in a more "extravagant" manner then Clan civilians)
i suspect those were linked.. consumer electronics would have included holovid players and such (basically TV's and DVD players) so it makes sense that they'd be including films and TV series discs to go with them. and we know the merchant castes of the clans ran a homeworlds to OZ trade, so it would make sense that some of the IS media would make it there.

also i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't got the other way a bit, with the adventures of clan spaniel making its way onto IS networks once you had clans living fully in the IS.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2021, 13:02:08 by glitterboy2098 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 01 November 2021, 13:18:30 »
Clan Spaniel certainly aged well.   ^-^

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 01 November 2021, 17:22:20 »
Random comments:

All Clan spacecraft - namely even their versions of stock IS JumpShips - are upgraded with superior computers and HarJel hull sealant safety systems.

In Forever Faithful, Huntress features regular bars to drink and eat (for money). It's obviously meant as setting but it incidentally gives some insights into everyday Clan life. (Icons of War is still in my to-read queue.)

As for Clan underwear, we do know that canonically, Clan Nova Cat had access to diminutive red thongs as of ca. 3055.

general comments-
the next ELH story pulls from both of those to show that, yes, the Clans have an economy, though not of -generally- the quality that the IS is used too.  Icons of War talks a LOT about the guilds, and I tried to build off of that: though the clans aren't nearly as avaricious as the IS, they want to drink nice whiskey and dress up nice on special occasions, just like everyone else across time.

Clans pay in work credits: only the merchant class and others given special disposition deal in hard currency.  I think it's a punishable crime, IIRC, to use hard currency if not authorized, though I'm -also- sure there's a pretty wide latitude given on newly occupied IS worlds, especially circa 3050.

of course clans wear underwear, soley so they can bid it out when necessary  ^-^ ;D

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2021, 04:59:11 »
of course clans wear underwear, soley so they can bid it out when necessary  ^-^ ;D

You owe me a new brain. I will never get the image of an Elemental bidding away his Borat mankini out of my old one.  ;D
*"But we don't play Battletech to have Simple" - NavPoint

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2021, 09:26:11 »
You owe me a new brain. I will never get the image of an Elemental bidding away his Borat mankini out of my old one.  ;D

You can have mine- trust me, it's only been gently used, and rarely at that!  :D ;D :D

Register