Register Register

Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 75129 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #570 on: 04 August 2021, 23:22:59 »
Hell's Horses makes sense since they are set up to be the primary Clan antagonist to the Wolves after the conquest of Terra. I suspect their stuff will be their plots afterwards.

I think they've got a book coming up soon. Since they're falling into the Jade Falcons Occupation Zone vacuum or what not.

We'll know more Friday I guess.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #571 on: 05 August 2021, 01:36:15 »
I'm guessing we'll be mostly involved in the Drac-FedRat conflict, but there may not be too much on that for a while.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #572 on: 06 August 2021, 14:22:29 »
Controversial take: I dislike Haake Sukhanov and his supposed "genius".
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #573 on: 06 August 2021, 14:44:47 »
He is up there with Hanse Davion, and I blame Hanse for the Jihad.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #574 on: 06 August 2021, 14:45:05 »
This gonna turn into another crow incident?
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #575 on: 06 August 2021, 14:55:18 »
This gonna turn into another crow incident?

You mean my active, stated dislike of Alberto Crow?

Or let the bloodname be claimed by another Clan? 'Cause I'd be down for that.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #576 on: 06 August 2021, 15:09:09 »

As zoidberg would say,why not both!? ^_^
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #577 on: 06 August 2021, 20:50:05 »
As zoidberg would say,why not both!? ^_^

Both is always the best option :)

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #578 on: 06 August 2021, 21:14:51 »
I have to admit that it's not great for the Raven's most visible character in the fiction be a Wolf. And be a genius that was completely underappreciated by the Ravens for some reason and thereby our entire faction looks like guillble fools.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #579 on: 06 August 2021, 21:22:03 »
I have to admit that it's not great for the Raven's most visible character in the fiction be a Wolf. And be a genius that was completely underappreciated by the Ravens for some reason and thereby our entire faction looks like guillble fools.

His "genius" is of dubious provenance.

But yes, I'd much rather have visible Ravens who are actual Ravens.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #580 on: 06 August 2021, 21:31:07 »
I don't know if it'll be Tamar rising, but hopefully the Ravens and Ghost Bears will get involved some dust ups soon. They've been sitting on the sidelines for awhile.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #581 on: 06 August 2021, 21:32:03 »
Who is the most visible Bear? Incredibly awesome but  never seen before. Now conveniently dead. Hopefully we get some backfill.

Angrii

• Corporal
« Reply #582 on: 06 August 2021, 21:40:14 »
His "genius" is of dubious provenance.

But yes, I'd much rather have visible Ravens who are actual Ravens.

Perhaps the true genius here was behind the scenes; making Haake believe he was a genius and to perpetuate that myth, thereby pawning him off on the Wolves as an albatross well rid of... If I choose to believe it, you can't make me stop!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #583 on: 06 August 2021, 21:44:37 »
I'm not sure that I expect it, but hopefully now that the Ilclan thing is over some of the other Clans can get some time to shine. Clan Sea Fox just got to throw mechs at things, apparently the good battlemech designs were just produced, not developed by us. Blech.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #584 on: 06 August 2021, 22:02:05 »
Who is the most visible Bear? Incredibly awesome but  never seen before. Now conveniently dead. Hopefully we get some backfill.

Believe me, I was thinking of Ramiel Bekker when I wrote the previous post. Re-reading Hour of the Wolf last night, I also thought of Khan Dalia Bekker and her predilection for napping on the job.

That being said, I do understand that every faction can't always look good and have heroes. There are supporters of every faction! There will always be someone disappointed by the nuffies representing their chosen group. The limelight will change eventually.

I don't like the way that hero characters were given to the Wolves from the Bears and Ravens, but I guess the same thing happened with Ragnar Magnusson conveniently going to the Bears (though a bad thing such as that happening to Clan Wolf-in-Exile at that time seemed rare enough). I'm glad that a chapter in Hour of the Wolf was devoted to Khan Sterling McKenna mentioning that the Clan will not simply be a doormat for the ilClan. They will work for the interests of the Alliance.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #585 on: 06 August 2021, 22:19:38 »
For the Bears Magnusson was one of the "new generation" to be introduced during the 3130s version of the Outreach Summit scene in Sword of Sedition. He sticks around for a small bit of one other novel, then kind of disappears.

It'd be pretty easy to grab onto him again to pull him into the limelight. As it stands, he's currently the only younger individual presented in that novel who's never gotten any focus in a novel or sourcebook. And unlike Bekker, he isn't dead.

As for the Ravens? Yeah, ain't a whole lot preexisting there except for the Khan herself.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #586 on: 06 August 2021, 22:27:43 »
Yeah, that first generation of novel characters really missed out. I have been waiting for Magnusson to show up for years. I had to double check Ramiel to make sure he wasn't Magnusson (whose first name I am not going to be bothered to look up on principle).

Stirling McKenna is better positioned just because of her rank. Khan's show up in source books doing stuff. Lower ranks not so much. Again, she is someone who had story hooks then got left behind.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #587 on: 07 August 2021, 11:14:06 »
It would be nice if more Mech Aces / Ristars showed up in the fiction. Just so Battletech nations had their champions.

That's tougher for the Clans though. If you're the best warrior then why aren't you the leader?

Wolf has always had its Natasha and Anastasia Kerensky's though.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #588 on: 07 August 2021, 11:21:51 »
It would be nice if more Mech Aces / Ristars showed up in the fiction. Just so Battletech nations had their champions.

That's tougher for the Clans though. If you're the best warrior then why aren't you the leader?

Wolf has always had its Natasha and Anastasia Kerensky's though.

You can be a great warrior and suck at politics. Or you can be so great a warrior you dont need politics and asa taney your way. My assumption is we need more fiction to get more heros. So yay all the new fiction!!

Generic Clanner 24601

• Private
« Reply #589 on: 07 August 2021, 12:18:05 »

I always thought that was stupid. How can you Trial for a whole Bloodname? I don't know of any other times this happened. I always took that as the biggest insult to all the injuries the Wars of Reaving delivered us.

You can be a great warrior and suck at politics. Or you can be so great a warrior you dont need politics and asa taney your way. My assumption is we need more fiction to get more heros. So yay all the new fiction!!

This is especially true in our Clan where political ability matters more than in most other Clans.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #590 on: 11 August 2021, 05:44:02 »
I find the whole Crow reaving thing to be a bit far fetched. I mean, were all of the Crow warriors killed as well? (Alberto Crow still survives in the Jihad unfortunately, so clearly no.) So, once the Ravens were in the IS, and not in the Homeworlds, who would stop them from starting new Crow sibkos again on Dante or Alpheratz? If you are threatened with Annihilation either way by the Homeworlds Clan Council, then you might as well breed more Crow sibkos anyway. Not from Alberto, of course. 8)
o
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Generic Clanner 24601

• Private
« Reply #591 on: 11 August 2021, 21:06:25 »
The War of Reaving book does state that the Crow and Shu lines were corrupted and while they took samples from living members, they were restricted paternal parents only. So, it does sound like they did try.

But it's annoying in the first place. If this was possible, why didn't the Jade Falcons find a Kerenesky to challenge for the whole line? I'm sure in the history of the Clans, there has been one Kerensky Galaxy Commander that the Falcons were sure they could take on.

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #592 on: 12 August 2021, 17:40:09 »
But it's annoying in the first place. If this was possible, why didn't the Jade Falcons find a Kerenesky to challenge for the whole line? I'm sure in the history of the Clans, there has been one Kerensky Galaxy Commander that the Falcons were sure they could take on.
They've got one in Quinn Kerensky, so it should be doable at least.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #593 on: 12 August 2021, 20:13:54 »
They've got one in Quinn Kerensky, so it should be doable at least.

That’s just the person. Not the rights to their genetic legacy/breeding rights

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #594 on: 12 August 2021, 22:08:36 »
I meant that as a suggestion to follow up with Quinn's bloodline and genetic legacy, instead of looking for some other Kerensky to trial for.  "You already have a Kerensky in the Clan, get her legacy to go with."  That kind of thing.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #595 on: 12 August 2021, 22:49:36 »
Shame it never happened.   I'd love to see Pryde/Kerensky progeny. 

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #596 on: 18 August 2021, 19:06:16 »
I wonder if any new Bloodname lineages have been started in the RA.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #597 on: 18 August 2021, 19:08:47 »
The Ravens are pretty adverse to strangers in their midst. 

That said, it would be a truly awesome feat for someone to achieve. 

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #598 on: 18 August 2021, 19:19:48 »
I wonder if any new Bloodname lineages have been started in the RA.

Avellar maybe?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #599 on: 18 August 2021, 20:36:50 »
The thought stems mostly from the details on the Great Readings - namely, that new Bloodnames could be introduced during the proceedings and certainly has occurred.

For the Ravens, we're on the edge of the action (literally), so I can't see too many details. Neither has TPTB shown any indication for the nitty gritty on new Bloodnames. It is best to keep things relatively open to avoid future fiction issues.

Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if a new Bloodname emerges to help with the relatively few Bloodhouses that are intact in the RA.

Avellar maybe?

That one would make the most sense, rather than just some random McGurk or Hennimore. But it seems like the most warlike Avellar (Maya) was in service with the Republic and the family in general is treated as figureheads.

But, then again, excellent story idea for an Avellar who becomes a great warrior! The status quo can't stay the status quo forever.

Register