Register Register

Author Topic: The Rasalhague dominion: Making our neighbors move since 3063  (Read 54879 times)

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Rasalhague dominion: Making our neighbors move since 3063
« Reply #990 on: 02 August 2022, 09:25:01 »
Likewise. I liked "A Question of Survival" as a novel but the more I think about this the more I'm headscratching as to just how did the RD come so swiftly and easily to this pass?

I'm also scratching my head, and I'm taken aback at how badly Dalia Bekker seems to have misjudged the mood in her realm.

In Hour of the Wolf, she was content to hang back and let Wolf and Falcon fight over Terra, apparently deciding that the ilClan contest didn't matter to the Domain's future. She even secretly and unilaterally declined to enter the fight (which the Ghost Bears might have won) after Stone's agent gave her the keys to the Fortress.

Now she changed course by calling for a vote, and the outcome doesn't rhyme at all with her earlier decisions. If I were a Joiner I might be annoyed at the Refusers, but I would be hotter than a RFL-4D with engine damage at Dalia Bekker, who surrendered a spot in the ilClan trial without firing a shot. If I found out. I'm very curious to see how Dalia keeps that secret in Dominions Divided.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #991 on: 02 August 2022, 14:27:12 »
You best not be throwing shade at my homeboy Lars
I like Lars. They just gave him the worst facial tattoo in the history of the game. How can you look him in the eye and take him seriously?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #992 on: 02 August 2022, 16:08:27 »
The more I think about it, the more a "civil war" doesn't really make sense...I feel like those looking to join the ilClan would just up and leave (probably not get to take their Mechs with them as they are not personally owned) and those staying would watch them go, and everyone would be grumbling, but I fail to see why they would come to blows...

I mean, Omega basically did the same thing with Vega...
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #993 on: 02 August 2022, 17:35:36 »
The more I think about it, the more a "civil war" doesn't really make sense...I feel like those looking to join the ilClan would just up and leave (probably not get to take their Mechs with them as they are not personally owned) and those staying would watch them go, and everyone would be grumbling, but I fail to see why they would come to blows...

I mean, Omega basically did the same thing with Vega...

The early Dominion also did that with 3 Galaxies when the republic was formed.

As of now the whole narrative on how we got here is bothersome. Hopefully DD can better explain it and have it make sense with everything else that we know.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2022, 17:37:20 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Freefall357

• Sergeant
  • NovaCommander
« Reply #994 on: 18 August 2022, 16:00:21 »
The problem is the situation is too complicated and it mirrors current world events (and without going into them because forum rules) it’s a scary thing.

Can I at least call it Bearxit?

More seriously, I am returning from a hiatus. CBT was my life growing up and my knowledge was encyclopedic (especially game stats)...I got out around the time the IS poked the homeworlds. I got back into it when I saw how fantastic the CGL books were and how they took care of the mechanics without DnD4e'ing them. Wasn't a fan of dark ages stuff...jihad was a bit too etch-a-sketch for me.
ANYWAYS, I know us bears have moved home to the IS, I see some love and plenty of hate for us in the FRR groups...my Omega Galaxy seems to have effed off somewhere...so...questions:
What Bear focused novels should I catch up with?
What Bear and FRR game books should I be looking for? I have all the AToW, Tac/Strat Ops, etc core books...does material from stuff like FM:Warden still matter? Is there a replacement? Any mobile apps commonly used for tabletop&AToW games?

Just looking to get back into the loop a bit to see if my group wants to refocus on CBT gaming for a while. Thanks for any help, I'll be doing my own digging along side this.
Ghostbear (pre-jihad mostly), 357th Cave Bears ... free hugs for Snow Ravens.
CapCon when playing dirty Innersphere. (Seems I may be looking into FRR...been away a while).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #995 on: 18 August 2022, 16:18:52 »
Welcome back!

Unfortunately, there aren't too many novels featuring the Bears.  Last month we got A Question of Survival, which is about Jiyi Christu of the Jade Falcons making a Trial of Possession for a large number of Ghost Bear cadets in 3151, as mentioned in the sourcebook Tamar Rising.  Other than that, the Bears have been treated mostly like they always have been: they're camped out in the background while the Wolves and Falcons get most of the focus.  However, there is a new sourcebook set to be released at the end of the year, Dominions Divided, that is supposed to focus more on the situation in the Dominion.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #996 on: 18 August 2022, 20:36:29 »
Remember the FedCom Civil War source book? Claimed to be based upon extensive research of the American Civil War?

The events of Dominions Divided are nothing like that.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #997 on: 18 August 2022, 21:13:24 »
Remember the FedCom Civil War source book? Claimed to be based upon extensive research of the American Civil War?

That’s a…thing to know I guess.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #998 on: 18 August 2022, 21:17:55 »
It's definitely a thing of some sort.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #999 on: 18 August 2022, 22:11:02 »
I did not know that
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1000 on: 18 August 2022, 23:04:26 »

I wonder what is the events are based on?  If anyone looks at some of the best that fantasy and science fiction has to offer most of it is based on historical events.  At least that is my opinion.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1001 on: 18 August 2022, 23:57:42 »
I did not know that

It was in some of the press release stuff. Mind you that was twenty years ago.
That’s a…thing to know I guess.
And knowing is half the battle.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1002 on: 19 August 2022, 00:08:34 »
I thought half of the battle was waiting and the other half a violent rampage until it’s hibernation time?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #1003 on: 19 August 2022, 10:29:30 »
I thought half of the battle was waiting and the other half a violent rampage until it’s hibernation time?
if that's what you think, then you don't know a real American hero...  ;)
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 15:37:33 by Zeruel »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #1004 on: 20 August 2022, 02:31:01 »
Ok, just finished "A Question of Survival"

Good read, but something I do not get

In the end, when Hall is killed (!?) cold blood by his XO, then she does not uphold the results of the Trial ? What's going on there. But the biggest thing that got me was, Alaric refused their join offer ? IMHO Alaric NEEDS the Bears, he is either stupid or it is a much larger power play, as he wants internal strife in the once former stable Dominion and half to come to him ? Guess we will see how DD plays out
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1005 on: 20 August 2022, 03:26:20 »
Ok, just finished "A Question of Survival"

Good read, but something I do not get

In the end, when Hall is killed (!?) cold blood by his XO, then she does not uphold the results of the Trial ? What's going on there. But the biggest thing that got me was, Alaric refused their join offer ? IMHO Alaric NEEDS the Bears, he is either stupid or it is a much larger power play, as he wants internal strife in the once former stable Dominion and half to come to him ? Guess we will see how DD plays out

Arguably she would be a Denier with more loyalty to the Dominion project than the Clan ideal.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Warrant Officer
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #1006 on: 20 August 2022, 10:10:48 »
Arguably she would be a Denier with more loyalty to the Dominion project than the Clan ideal.

I am not sure if I am conflicted with this ::) I am a Clanner, but I do like "Dominions", ie: Ghost Bears, Raven Alliance, Scorpion Empire

Hmmm, would it be fair to say that Jiyi's new Jade Falcon approach is in between traditional Clan and Ghost Bears ?
[CJF: Swtor] http://cjf.enjin.com /http://jamespryde2704.wix.com/falcon-net-cjf-hpg

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1007 on: 20 August 2022, 22:56:36 »
I am not sure where I stand on Jiyi yet. He reminds me of Aidan Pryde and that isn't a good thing. Right from the beginning Aidan is notable for not doing things the Clan way. Reading secret books, now he is little bit more like a US mid western reading audience, this more sympathetic and magically able to kick more arse.
You see this repeatedly. Antagonists in novels Clan to the extreme and go down like a Disney bad guy. Protagonists don't act like Clanners and become Mary Sues. Those who Clan sensibly like Marthe or any number of Source Book characters succeed quietly without any fanfare and always get forgotten.

Jiyi is currently indulging in standard good Clan imagery. Typically be nice to the lower castes. This is usually tell don't show. It lets you have have your cake and eat it too.
Lately there has been an effort to show consequences. Eg the Dominion has cost the Bears their Clan soul. The benign neglect of the OZ Wolves and Horses left the OZs under utilised. The Falcons paid the price of under production for decades while re-educating but ultimately got a core OZ of prosperity Clanners.
Jiyi hasn't had the time to show any costs to his actions. Even the Merchant Falcons are having teething problems. So it will be interesting to see what goes wrong to add some friction to Jiyi's experiment.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1008 on: 21 August 2022, 09:40:50 »
I am not sure where I stand on Jiyi yet. He reminds me of Aidan Pryde and that isn't a good thing. Right from the beginning Aidan is notable for not doing things the Clan way. Reading secret books, now he is little bit more like a US mid western reading audience, this more sympathetic and magically able to kick more arse.
You see this repeatedly. Antagonists in novels Clan to the extreme and go down like a Disney bad guy. Protagonists don't act like Clanners and become Mary Sues. Those who Clan sensibly like Marthe or any number of Source Book characters succeed quietly without any fanfare and always get forgotten.

Jiyi is currently indulging in standard good Clan imagery. Typically be nice to the lower castes. This is usually tell don't show. It lets you have have your cake and eat it too.
Lately there has been an effort to show consequences. Eg the Dominion has cost the Bears their Clan soul. The benign neglect of the OZ Wolves and Horses left the OZs under utilised. The Falcons paid the price of under production for decades while re-educating but ultimately got a core OZ of prosperity Clanners.
Jiyi hasn't had the time to show any costs to his actions. Even the Merchant Falcons are having teething problems. So it will be interesting to see what goes wrong to add some friction to Jiyi's experiment.

The Bears he took as Isorla say "umm no" and take the Khanship from Jinyi, rename the faction "Jade Bears" or "Ghost Falcons" and teams up with the Dominion bringing over that lovely Arc Ship and all it's booty, which we empty and then do a Melvina and crash it into the SL Palace on Terra and the whole universe gets over trying to reform the SL in any way shape or form and gets back to killing each other like they should  :thumbsup:
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1009 on: 24 August 2022, 11:10:44 »
I read "A Question of Survival" and had an honest question.

Star Colonel Hall figures out pretty quickly he's been outbid.  The Falcons are fighting a lot more like Jaguars and have a good chance of winning.  Hall's bid of two trinaries could end up losing all the sibkos. 

Isn't it part of clan culture that he can call down up to his original bid (of the whole battle cluster) if he isn't getting the results he wanted?  Shouldn't he have done this the second things started looking iffy?  Another trinary of Bear mechs hitting the Falcons in the back would have made a conclusive end of the Falcons. 

Was it just his honor that prevented Hall from doing this?  The book as written doesn't even present this as an option.  Am I misunderstanding the clan practices here?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1010 on: 24 August 2022, 13:05:15 »

Star Colonel Hall figures out pretty quickly he's been outbid.  The Falcons are fighting a lot more like Jaguars and have a good chance of winning.  Hall's bid of two trinaries could end up losing all the sibkos. 

Isn't it part of clan culture that he can call down up to his original bid (of the whole battle cluster) if he isn't getting the results he wanted?  Shouldn't he have done this the second things started looking iffy?  Another trinary of Bear mechs hitting the Falcons in the back would have made a conclusive end of the Falcons. 

Was it just his honor that prevented Hall from doing this?  The book as written doesn't even present this as an option.  Am I misunderstanding the clan practices here?
Calling in your last bid is an option. You lose honor by doing so. I think the reason Hall didn't do that is that while things weren't going as he predicted and it wasn't the easy beatdown he expected, the battle was never so one-sided as to guarantee him losing. He changed tactics, adjusted to what the Falcons were doing, and the battle was close until the end. Even the duel between Chistu and Hall was never one-sided.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1011 on: 24 August 2022, 14:31:48 »

His own position in his forces was rocky at best.  If he called another trinary or even a binary the loss of honour would have resulted in him losing status and maybe even his position as a Star Colonel.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1012 on: 24 August 2022, 14:45:10 »
As opposed to losing the Trial?

There's a few words that come to mind to describe Hall, and "blundering nincompoop" is one of the more polite ones.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2022, 14:46:42 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1013 on: 24 August 2022, 17:49:58 »
Then if I do understand the bidding rules correctly, and the character cared about the sibkos, I think he would take the honor hit and call in the rest of the cluster to wipe the Falcons. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1014 on: 24 August 2022, 18:48:08 »
Yes.  Though if he were that smart he probably wouldn't have fallen for the dangling bait of the Vaultship.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1015 on: 24 August 2022, 19:55:39 »
To pivot here, I know it’s come up that our mech gimmicks are faster and heavier than average. And our mechs in the rec guides got given Reinforced Structure as it was one of our most recent developments. Hardened can’t go on Omni’s and kinda goes against our faster deal. Reactive was thrown out as the other new tech option for us in the Mastodon thread. Is anyone actually in favor of using that? I think it’s junk outside of BA. A reverse engineering of Ballistic Reinfoced would be good, but reactive as is kinda sucks imo. Maybe it’s better in universe with more common artillery but still.  I’m very meh on it and hope it doesn’t become part of our ilClan gimmick.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1016 on: 24 August 2022, 20:32:13 »
Reactive armor is really only good if you've got opponents that heavily favor missiles and artillery, and the Dominion doesn't share a border with anyone like that.  I wouldn't call it junk, but it's not my first pick for specialty armor.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1017 on: 25 August 2022, 05:02:37 »
Reactive armor is really only good if you've got opponents that heavily favor missiles and artillery, and the Dominion doesn't share a border with anyone like that.  I wouldn't call it junk, but it's not my first pick for specialty armor.

Given that the 3rd SL may be bordering with the Dominion (depending how DD goes) what are a lot of the Wolves mechs toting weapon wise? ok it's a very meta question but in universe we do have a Watch, that's sometimes competent and there's the chatterweb, so we could find out and adopt, again if what's left of the Dominion doesn't inherit a sleeping addiction.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1018 on: 25 August 2022, 07:07:23 »
Then if I do understand the bidding rules correctly, and the character cared about the sibkos, I think he would take the honor hit and call in the rest of the cluster to wipe the Falcons.
I would say he did care about the sibkos. I think going into the battle Hall predicted the odds were say 75-25 in his favor. Then when the Falcons didn't behave as he expected it shifted to say 60-40 or even 50-50 odds. In both those cases it's not bad enough to warrant the honor loss of calling in your last bid. Clanners like a challenge and to have gotten so high in rank Hall had to be able to win at even odds or even say 40-60 odds against him on multiple occasions. It never seemed to Hall like he didn't have a decent chance to win, it just wasn't as good as he thought going into the battle
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Church14

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1019 on: 25 August 2022, 07:50:11 »
Given that the 3rd SL may be bordering with the Dominion (depending how DD goes) what are a lot of the Wolves mechs toting weapon wise? ok it's a very meta question but in universe we do have a Watch, that's sometimes competent and there's the chatterweb, so we could find out and adopt, again if what's left of the Dominion doesn't inherit a sleeping addiction.

The only consistent design philosophy of wolf mechs is most now slap mobility enhancers on them. Supercharger, jump jets, or both. For other tech, wolves have no noteworthy features because the RecGuides have them run a bit of basically everything except ballistic reinforced armor.