Register Register

Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 138562 times)

Phobos

• Warrant Officer

Now that Reunion has occurred, I Guess someone's going to have to go to Donegal and relocate AssaultTech Industries. Or maybe just garrison it?  But all those iRCG designs that the Exiles had put back into production are now available to the ilWolves. woot woot.

What makes you think that, considering that it's on a Lyran planet and was also heavily subsidized by the Lyran taxpayer/government? The only way the Exiles, after rejoining the Wolves, will get their hands on any of the output is through force or very severe threats.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
if advanced technologies were on the plate, I'd say we were going to see the surprise release of a RAC/10.

Nah, no way, I think. Imagine what a RAC/10 would do to a mech. The way it was portrayed in the novel hardly made it seem like anything special.

Lower center of gravity, nothing about the legs/feet . . . stream lined looks

To me it sounded like the "stable" quirk and maybe also impact-resistant armor. Then it turned out, no, it does some stuff with its hands... kay...  ::)
« Last Edit: 07 January 2021, 12:22:01 by Phobos »

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What makes you think that, considering that it's on a Lyran planet and was also heavily subsidized by the Lyran taxpayer/government? The only way the Exiles, after rejoining the Wolves, will get their hands on any of the output is through force or very severe threats.

Not exactly . . . the Wardens could have packed up some of it, especially if Lupus Majoris had been relocated to Donegal.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Guardian11

• Master Sergeant
Nah, no way, I think. Imagine what a RAC/10 would do to a mech. The way it was portrayed in the novel hardly made it seem like anything special.

To me it sounded like the "stable" quirk and maybe also impact-resistant armor. Then it turned out, no, it does some stuff with its hands... kay...  ::)
Nothing in the description of the Amorok rules out impact-resistant armor, and as your eye-roll demonstrates just throwing its arms over it head shouldn't be an automatic defense against DFAs. Even if they do form a shape to deflect those kinds of attacks. Now throwing impact-resistant armored arms over its head might actually be a good solution for resisting DFAs.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
Yup, I suggested reinforced structure which would also let it hold up to getting landed on.
Colt Ward

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Not exactly . . . the Wardens could have packed up some of it, especially if Lupus Majoris had been relocated to Donegal.
You can't keep using "took it off the Lyrans" every time someone asks a difficult question.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
The Wardens disappeared on the Lyrans without any notice taking what they could with them.  I am not suggesting they took everything, but they could have taken key portions.  What I actually suggested they took were 2 things-

First, Lupus Majoris- IF it was moved from Arc Royal to protect the Warden's shipyard and endosteel source.  IF it was still at Arc Royal when the Falcons came calling, then it was not at Donegal.  Lupus Majoris was a mobile station brought from the Homeworlds to Lyran space on Ulric's orders- so packing up a mobile asset is do-able.

Second, if the seed of the Warden's Donegal factories was one of the 'mobile' factory set ups the Wolves won off the Bears and was the source of the factories on Arc Royal in the 60s it could be possible for them to pack it up.

I was not suggesting they hoovered all production on the planet.  The Warden Wolves had a few months between the fall of Arc Royal and when they left their garrison locations in Lyran space.  Besides the two possibilities above they could have also taken the dies, molds, and other 'mobile' factory apparatus.  While they might not have been able to do it with fancier mechs, the design on the Sojourner would lend itself to very rough construction conditions.

So what do I expect is left on Donegal?  Most everything to make a mech, but perhaps not what is needed to continue what was being produced before- they will need new dies, molds, stamping, mills, etc.  Real question is were the Clan spec weapons built on Donegal or shipped in?
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
  • Clan Wolf Rho Galaxy "The Altered Beasts"

Because it's a ridiculous amount of clantech lines to simply walk away from and leave in lyran hands?  They might have to fight for it, but the lyrans are hardly a fearsome threat that cannot be reckoned with.

me, if I were in command shoes, I'd say "we will trade you worlds X, Y, Z and B, (where those are unimportant worlds in the Empire) in return for the AssaultTech factories on Donegal. If you refuse, we will come and take them by force"
Want to Track your own unit? Try the LUCK system | NonCanon Units Index!

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
How big is WiE? Can they put up a fight? Surely they are not all pro Wolf? Is it worth a civil war?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Is there a WiE anymore? Either they all joined Miriam Shaw and are a part of the ilClan's Omega Provisional Galaxy (from HotW chapter 30) or if not all joined there's still some form of a WiE in possession of those factories. If all of WiE joined Clan Wolf wouldn't it have been Clan Wolf Absorbing all of WiE? So all the assets would be Clan Wolf's now?
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

CJC070

• Warrant Officer
Any WIE that did not join the Wolf Empire probably joined the Kell Hounds.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
How big is WiE? Can they put up a fight? Surely they are not all pro Wolf? Is it worth a civil war?

What was left after Arc Royal was at best 4 to 5 clusters, all understrength . . . they had sibbies step up and retired warriors come back.  They had a trickle of warriors after the sack of Arc Royal join the Wolf Empire- I think a RecGuide pilot was one of them.  Everyone packed up and departed Lyran space.

NOW . . . there are Warden Wolf sourced folks outside the ilClan . . . Alexia Wolf was Jasek's significant other was one.
Colt Ward

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
Because it's a ridiculous amount of clantech lines to simply walk away from and leave in lyran hands?  They might have to fight for it, but the lyrans are hardly a fearsome threat that cannot be reckoned with.

me, if I were in command shoes, I'd say "we will trade you worlds X, Y, Z and B, (where those are unimportant worlds in the Empire) in return for the AssaultTech factories on Donegal. If you refuse, we will come and take them by force"

And you can honestly see them going against the people they chose to protect for close to a century for a couple of production lines?

SteveRestless

• Major
And you can honestly see them going against the people they chose to protect for close to a century for a couple of production lines?

Can you see the Former Exiles abandoning their lower caste members that are staffing those factories? if it comes down to members of the pack versus their former hosts holding those lower castes hostage, I can absolutely see them in conflict with the Lyrans.

It need not even be Omega Provisional who fights, if it comes to that. If the Lyrans insist on holding on to physical possession of them, I can see a less conflicted Wolf unit being sent to reclaim them.

Beyond that, there's precedent for the Wolves honoring factory output contracts after taking over a factory. The R10 APC line was siezed by the Wolves during establishment of the Wolf Empire, and they continued to export the design as it was before the Empire. I could see the factories being relocated, but the Lyrans continuing to be paid the output they were due. The clans have long traded material with factions they were at odds with, the homeworlds were full of mercantile interchange between otherwise beligerent parties.

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
Can you see the Former Exiles abandoning their lower caste members that are staffing those factories? if it comes down to members of the pack versus their former hosts holding those lower castes hostage, I can absolutely see them in conflict with the Lyrans.

No one is left in the Commonwealth . . . for one, we do not even know if they had very many people on Donegal.  But the entry is everyone packed up and disappeared.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
No one is left in the Commonwealth . . . for one, we do not even know if they had very many people on Donegal.  But the entry is everyone packed up and disappeared.

Well, then Hopefully "Packed up" includes the Adder and Ice Ferret lines. it would be a sorry tease to give them back and then immediately yank them away. The Linebacker line would be a duplicate, so if something's gotta stay, thats not a bad option.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
The former WiE Khan, turn Galaxy Commander is pretty dramatized by what Falcons did to their newborns in the Iron Wombs.

Its a shame.  Then again, i'm on the fence on how this new Star League, if its going be called that. Is going to work. Clan society doesn't seem to be culture that would work. I'm totally surprised Anastasia Kerensky came out as new Commanding General, frankly it does't fit with Clan society mix.  Maybe iLClan book will sort it out, but i don't know. Falcons are barely 71 - 61 people.  Tara Falcon, seems to be WEIRD thing to happen to our resident Highlander, except maybe her name will be made into Bloodname.  Highlanders changing Falcons into Highlander like people would be big up tick for them.  Personally, i never got the connection with Falcons with the Black Watch.  I thought it was Blood Spirits's  Colleen Schmitt, connection be more solid thing excep their all "Dead" as far anyone knows.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
Nah, Elizabeth Hazen (check her out on Sarna, I wrote it) was also a commander of the Black Watch.  She was defacto leader and took to the hills guerilla-style during the Amaris Crisis.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, then Hopefully "Packed up" includes the Adder and Ice Ferret lines. it would be a sorry tease to give them back and then immediately yank them away. The Linebacker line would be a duplicate, so if something's gotta stay, thats not a bad option.

Ice Ferret line was on Arc Royal, it is lost again.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The Ice Ferret is manufactured by Assault Tech Industries on Donegal, not on Arc-Royal, according to Recognition Guide Volume 4.  Donegal at no point was captured by the Falcons, it's still Lyran held.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
The Ice Ferret is manufactured by Assault Tech Industries on Donegal, not on Arc-Royal, according to Recognition Guide Volume 4.  Donegal at no point was captured by the Falcons, it's still Lyran held.

They were building it on two worlds?  I just remember the techs mounting off to hold off the Falcon hordes . . . and being slagged for it.
Colt Ward

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
Clan Wolf got a piece of tech in every RecGuide so far. Often more. With thinks like the Wulfen, and Stormwolf ans Skinwalker, and at least 6 heavy Mechs in play are we really going to quibble over 3 OmniMechs going to a faction which is dead in its feet?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'm curious if some side story / novellas are on verge coming out to cover the "other missions" Alaric had dispatched. Like Anastasia's WiE mission for instance.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GuyIncognito

• Sergeant
I see where the confusion is coming from. Recog Guide 4 does list the Ice Ferret's manufacturer as Assault Tech Industries (Donegal). It also says that the design has recently proliferated to the Falcons and Horses "through the loss of its primary factory world, Arc-Royal". The battle Colt is thinking of does take place on Arc-Royal in 3146, with the Ice Ferrets both scuttling manufacturing facilities and covering the retreat of equipment/personnel to Donegal.

SteveRestless

• Major
Clan Wolf got a piece of tech in every RecGuide so far. Often more. With thinks like the Wulfen, and Stormwolf ans Skinwalker, and at least 6 heavy Mechs in play are we really going to quibble over 3 OmniMechs going to a faction which is dead in its feet?

The Skinwalker is a beast, true, but it is a very specialized and limited sort of beast. You HAVE to have EI or VDNI to operate it with the cockpit it's got. So, unless there's an incoming product with a Skinwalker Lite Production Variant, or Clan Wolf found a way to make an Interface Armor that doesn't necessitate life-shortening circuitry to be installed in members of an already stretched-thin warrior caste, I'm gonna keep wanting a medium Omni option that isn't a Skinwalker.

And I kinda doubt we'll get that Skinwalker Lite, because every time I tried to build one, I wound up back at Stormcrow, and we already have a stormcrow. (Mom, can we have Skinwaker? We have Skinwalker at home! The Skinwalker At Home: Stormcrow.mtf)

So, for Wolfly appropriate Mediums, we have the Ice Ferret, the Phantom and the Pouncer. Much as I'd like to see the Phantom and Pouncer back in production, they weren't a part of the Kickstarter, so I don't intend to hold my breath there. The Ice Ferret though, That was just brought back to life by the Kickstarter and fills a needed niche.

I have no idea what a "Stormwolf" is though. Is it an Omni? I don't see it in any of the first 10 iRCGs. If it's not an omni, and thus can't carry Elementals, then no, I'm still going to feel the lack of the Ice Ferret.

As long as it's a case of just shrugging and walking away from factories like the Ice Ferret that fill a needed niche in Clan Wolf, yeah I'm gonna quibble about that being left on the table. Especially if it's just being handed, scott free to the Lyrans. I'd balk less if the lines wound up in Falcon hands, as unlikely as that might be.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
The Skinwalker is a beast, true, but it is a very specialized and limited sort of beast. You HAVE to have EI or VDNI to operate it with the cockpit it's got. So, unless there's an incoming product with a Skinwalker Lite Production Variant, or Clan Wolf found a way to make an Interface Armor that doesn't necessitate life-shortening circuitry to be installed in members of an already stretched-thin warrior caste, I'm gonna keep wanting a medium Omni option that isn't a Skinwalker.

And I kinda doubt we'll get that Skinwalker Lite, because every time I tried to build one, I wound up back at Stormcrow, and we already have a stormcrow. (Mom, can we have Skinwaker? We have Skinwalker at home! The Skinwalker At Home: Stormcrow.mtf)

Alaric got in one to survive a DS crash into the Bering so . . .

The Stormwolf is a Omni, seems it has a LAMS fixed, or the 2 versions we got had it.  A 7/11 or faster Omni- maybe with MASC or SC.
Colt Ward

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
Sorry if I am coming across as testy. I have just been researching Dominion losses in Operation Noyan.
The Bears lost 4 lines on New Oslo but regained 2 through the magic of RecGuides.

In comparison since 3130 the Wolves at least doubled their production lines by 3145 despite losing half a dozen in the OZ. They were mostly IS tech, but RecGuides is showing a significant proportion have been upgraded by 3150. The Empire has also managed to take Skye, which is about 25% of Falcon production and nearly eliminates the Wolf Aero weakness. That is before you count Terra.

So a couple of classic Wolf chassis (and Sojourner) are nice from a feel good perspective,  but they are just a cherry on top of of a very big cake.

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • MUL Contributor

That's been corrected in recent updates of Hour of the Wolf.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

SteveRestless

• Major

Well, most mechs seem to have a limited operating mode for technicians to move them and work on them, I was assuming that since Alaric hasn't ever been noted to have EI, that either he used it in Safe Mode, or it was some sort of Skincrow.

That's been corrected in recent updates of Hour of the Wolf.

Oh, nice.

Sorry if I am coming across as testy. I have just been researching Dominion losses in Operation Noyan.
The Bears lost 4 lines on New Oslo but regained 2 through the magic of RecGuides.

In comparison since 3130 the Wolves at least doubled their production lines by 3145 despite losing half a dozen in the OZ. They were mostly IS tech, but RecGuides is showing a significant proportion have been upgraded by 3150. The Empire has also managed to take Skye, which is about 25% of Falcon production and nearly eliminates the Wolf Aero weakness. That is before you count Terra.

So a couple of classic Wolf chassis (and Sojourner) are nice from a feel good perspective,  but they are just a cherry on top of of a very big cake.

I mean, if the setting were MY game to run, the RecGuides would be giving everyone plenty of love. Really, I'd mostly be going by what factions a design was known to be associated with if there were strong associations (which does seem to be being done) and if there's two, give it to both (which isn't being done as much) Alas, you and your yellow beemer are closer to that sort of influence than I am. Hell, I'm about as far from being able to exert influence over the product line as can be. And personally, I'd have given the Wolves fewer heavies/heavies-in-spirit. I mean, I love heavies, but for kerensky's sake, we have enough options. Mediums? Eh, Stormwolf might be enough, if Colt's postulations above are accurate. Would rather have faster, for delivering Elementals.

But, really, what the bears do or don't have, has nothing to do with what Clan Wolf does get. The Wolves losing those lines to the Lyrans doesn't sweeten the deal any for Clan Ghost Bear.

Cannonshop

• Major
You can't keep using "took it off the Lyrans" every time someone asks a difficult question.

sure you can! It's not like they have the ability to KEEP anything!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams