Register Register

Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 141948 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
The Stormwolf shows up in HotW. It is an omni designed by the Wolves, but built (at least initially) by the Foxes. It is said to be built for speed & firepower. The Stormwolf B has an ERPPC & Plasma Cannon. The Stormwolf C has a supercharger, and "large and medium lasers" of unspecified type (ER, Pulse, Heavy, Improved Heavy, etc).

In addition to the Amarok, there's also another 'Mech, the Firestorm, unknown weight, speed, or origin. It has a pair of ER medium lasers and a Plasma Rifle (it said the rifle, the IS tech weapon).

There's also 2 types of BA mentioned, though not described much, if any. They are Callisto Clan Wolf BA andGray Wolf BA.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Both of the two models also had LAMS, the B also had a ERML IIRC.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Foes the new book seems to mark turning point for the Wolf Empire?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteveRestless

• Major
  • Clan Wolf Rho Galaxy "The Altered Beasts"
Until we see readouts though, It's difficult to comment on those mechs. heck, the dominator was said to be an Omni in its initial appearance,  but it's not. They might make appearances there, but we didn't even get back-of-the-novel pictures of the mechs like the old days.

Foes the new book seems to mark turning point for the Wolf Empire?

Pretty sure we're supposed to keep the commentary on the plot of the book to the Gen Disc spoiler thread. PM me, or read the spoiler thread if you dont care about spoilers.
Want to Track your own unit? Try the LUCK system | NonCanon Units Index!

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Until we see readouts though, It's difficult to comment on those mechs. heck, the dominator was said to be an Omni in its initial appearance,  but it's not. They might make appearances there, but we didn't even get back-of-the-novel pictures of the mechs like the old days.

Pretty sure we're supposed to keep the commentary on the plot of the book to the Gen Disc spoiler thread. PM me, or read the spoiler thread if you dont care about spoilers.
I own the book as well, but i will wait. My stupid google books i guess is no frills without anything special in it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteveRestless

• Major
And now we have the Stormwolf. Had it for a little while actually.

My first thought is that it's slower than I had hoped. It is definitely a partner to heavier and more esoteric brethren. This is a design that can keep up with the manic bursts of power that a Skinwalker would output, or lope comfortably along beside a Warwolf. It's fast in a tactical sense, but not as much on the strategic level. I see pairing this with a commander in a Skinwalker or a Warwolf, and salvaged Wendigos

Sure is outfitted with a lot of protective technology though, with the hardmounted Laser AMS, and the Reflec Armor.

At the same time, I'm happy that the Exiles restoked production on the Ice Ferret and that they are in exile no more, because there are definitely stars where I would rather have an Ice Ferret than a Stormwolf.

Wolves are well positioned at this point to run pure Omni forces in their frontlines if they so desire. I know when my Terran campaign wraps up, that's my goal for parts of my CWF Rho Galaxy.

Off the top of my head, we have:

Superheay Omnis:
Ares

Assault Omnis:
Tomahawk II (a line which should have no problem also side-along producing Dire Wolves, or at least parts to keep existing Dire Wolves working.)
Doloire
Simurgh Omnifighter
Schiltron Mobile Fire Support Platform

Heavy Omnis: (Lots of heavies!)
Warwolf
Timber Wolf
Linebacker (Potentially Two Lines)
Soujourner
[Censored]
Savage Wolf (Via CSF)
Crossbow
Bolla Stealth Tank (RAF)
Goth Omnifighter
Schrack Omnifighter

Medium Omnis:
Skinwalker
Stormwolf
Ice Ferret (Via CWX Merger)
Coyotl (Via CSF, Which I guess also eases the need for a fast mover Omni)
Grendel (Via CSF)
Scapha Hovertank
Zephyr Omnidrone
R10 ICV
Zibler Fast Strike Tank

Light Omnis:
Wulfen
Adder (Potentially Two Lines)
Mist Lynx (Via CSF)
Badger transport

Ultralight Omnis:
Celerity

Not to mention all of the designs (such as the 1st gen/1.5th gen IS Omnimechs, and the designs contributed/traded/sold to the republic by clans over its lifespan) that are present on the Republic MUL, but aren't explicitly produced within the ilClan's new territory.

Additionally, Outreach is in former republic space, and all my research through all the Jihad publications, it never details the outright destruction of the Dire Wolf and Kit Fox production there. There's plenty of talk about the destruction of the surface facilities on outreach, but the intro to Blood of Kerensky, where Natasha and Jaimie are discussing Outreach's suitability for their mission indicates that the facilities they intend to use to make clantech are deep underground and survived the succession wars.

Much may have been lost on Arc Royal, but it is also possible that data escaped with the Exiles when they departed, opening up the possibilities of designs like the Arctic Wolf II and the Gulltoppr in addition to what's listed above.

Still in Limbo, unaccounted for in the iRCGs so far are the Pouncer (which I would love to have back) Phantom (which is the closest thing we have to a partner for the Wulfen, AND I would love to see the first gen's description of an optical camoflauge system (resembling CLPS) acknowledged in a refresh of the design) and Naga (which I suspect would be a Horse thing now, since they got the Gargoyle, if it gets acknowledged at all)

That's Omni designs in every weight category, including Superheavy and Ultralight, and covering a wide breadth of roles. Along with ample facilities to produce battle armor to go along with your Omni forces. With the Gargoyle and Dire Wolf (wouldnt the Tomahawk Mk I make more sense?) going to the Horses in the RecGuides, I would say that Assault Omnis is actually where the Wolves have the least diversity at the moment. Specifically Omnimechs, as the list of production available goes far far wider if we open it up to statc designs as well. With mechs such as the Crucible and the Stone Rhino we certainly aren't hurting for general assault designs. But, the Horses having those designs give me ideal targets when the time comes to humble the horses for their refusal to acknowledge the ilClan. I still think the Dire Wolf would have been better off as a Rebirthday Present from Clan Wolf to the Reborn Smoke Jaguars though. Might have to see that happen.

Of course, there are no doubt plenty of warriors who likely no longer think of mechs in the terms of Omni = Elite, Static = Second Line, but I retain that preference and think it would be fitting for the ilClan to have some prestigious units that could once again demonstrate a high degree of Omnimech composition.

Anything I missed, production-wise?

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Pretty good rundown. Help me out though, my memory is failing me, what is the censored heavy Omni?

I just noticed two things about the Stormwolf that may have influenced its design from an in-universe perspective. First the slower than expected speed means it uses a 300XL engine, which should be very common. Second, the possible failure rates for the MASC & Supercharger leave the potential for lots of spare parts & repair kit sales.

I agree about the general shift away from Omni/Frontline, Non-Omni/Secondline restrictions, especially with the quality of some of the non-Omnis for the Wolves.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
It boggles my mind that I saw "slower than I expected" referring to a 6/9[15]/6 Mech delivered with complete sincerity.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MarauderD

• Captain
It boggles my mind that I saw "slower than I expected" referring to a 6/9[15]/6 Mech delivered with complete sincerity.

Agreed--moving 15 hexes at that weight is extraordinary--BV cost aside.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
It just occurred to me that the name of this thread needs to be updated.  Replace "in a Savage Wolf" with "with a pillow." >:D
Edit: Also, I'd drop the "Buy Savage Wolves!" part.  They're sold by the Sea Foxes.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2021, 16:42:07 by jimdigris »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
It just occurred to me that the name of this thread needs to be updated.  Replace "in a Savage Wolf" with "with a pillow." >:D
Edit: Also, I'd drop the "Buy Savage Wolves!" part.  They're sold by the Sea Foxes.

It's the end of an era with the buy savage wolves thread. Which is good timing. The thread should be coming to a close just as Ilclan drops...

So the reason the thread is named like it is because I, a Sea Fox, claimed the thread title early and then challenged Steve Restless, A Wolf, to a trial of possession for the title of this thread.

Steve usually mops the floor with me, but I won that trial and so claimed it for Sea Fox advertising space.

Out of respect for the Ilclan Clan Sea Fox has no intentions of trialed for the next thread title...

The one after that though... look out.  ;D
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
I'm all for closing this thread out with a bang. 

Clan Wolf is always interesting.   It's the Clan of Kerensky, and it reeks of fiat.  But not in a negative way.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
I don't mean this in a flamey way but 3150/Ilclan saw the technical death of Clan Wolf, did anyone else put this together? When Ulric split off WiE before the Falcon absorption they became/were the true Clan Wolf, when the Jade Wolves became Clan Wolf, Vladimir stated implicitly that they were not the original Wolves so they could start the invasion again, so with Wie now being absorbed by not Clan Wolf Clan Wolf, the Original Wolves are no more, or did i miss a bit where not Clan Wolf were accepted as Clan Wolf?
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Get this man into the lawyer subcaste, stat!  (Would that be Merchant or Laborer?)

I think, by 3150, the legal distinctions between Vlad's and Phelan's Wolves had largely vanished.  The Exiles (having long since been Abjured and having lost any/all legal standing before other Clans) joined the Wolf Empire and reintegrated with the descendants of Vlad's Crusaders.  Alaric's Clan, while not being the original Clan Wolf (for legal purposes related to the whole Jade Wolves fiasco), nonetheless is accepted by other Clans as a legitimate descendant of the Clan forged by Nicholas Kerensky back on Strana Mechty.  At a certain point, perception becomes indistinguishable from reality, especially once the only other potential claimants cash in their Exile membership cards and start waving Wolf Empire flags.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
For my part its the base speed part of that. Sure you can get it up fast, but you can't keep it up without taking big risks the longer you try.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
Get this man into the lawyer subcaste, stat!  (Would that be Merchant or Laborer?)

I think, by 3150, the legal distinctions between Vlad's and Phelan's Wolves had largely vanished.  The Exiles (having long since been Abjured and having lost any/all legal standing before other Clans) joined the Wolf Empire and reintegrated with the descendants of Vlad's Crusaders.  Alaric's Clan, while not being the original Clan Wolf (for legal purposes related to the whole Jade Wolves fiasco), nonetheless is accepted by other Clans as a legitimate descendant of the Clan forged by Nicholas Kerensky back on Strana Mechty.  At a certain point, perception becomes indistinguishable from reality, especially once the only other potential claimants cash in their Exile membership cards and start waving Wolf Empire flags.

Ah a case of Clan Wolf is dead, Long live Clan Wolf!

I don't know on how much it has vanished IF it was needed by TPTB to be an issue, it could be something a writer could use as a plot hook somewhere or something someone brings up in universe, it is the end of the original Clan Wolf, it deserves a line in one clans remembrance at least.

Merchant, specifically a Diamond Shark Warrior-Merchant sub-cast, enforcing legalese with the point of a point of elementals, "Ah you see section 7, sub-section q, paragraph XIIV clearly states, suddenly negotiation by Point of Elementals"

Clan Sea Shark/Diamond Fox, you can find me somewhere in the Dominion slowly raising a paw with a whisper of "Technically?"

As an aside i think if i ever get a chance to play MechWarrior TTRPG, I'm going for a Ghost Bear with some Fox/Shark, because apparently technicalities matter
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I feel like the Clans accepted Clan Wolfs resurrection shenanigans without too much of a whimper...

For instance, why would Clan Wolf have any non-shared Blood Houses? Shouldn't the Falcons have Kerensky and Ward blood lines for instance?

I think for the other clans it was a matter between the Falcons and the Wolves and I think Marthe Pryde and Vlad were like, "Let's pretend this never happened." After Vlad murdered all the other Khans.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
Vlad made a mess of Elias Crichell, which made his pronouncement of the "All-New and Improved Clan Wolf" perfectly acceptable to the Grand Council. 

But like Wantec, I think the lines between Wolf Clans blurred and disappeared over time.  It was inevitable.

SteveRestless

• Major
Pretty good rundown. Help me out though, my memory is failing me, what is the censored heavy Omni?

It's censored because I am not permitted to speak of it, due to my prior zeal in arguing over it. PM me if you're still stuck.

For my part its the base speed part of that. Sure you can get it up fast, but you can't keep it up without taking big risks the longer you try.

Exactly this. It is fast, tactically. You can generate great sudden bursts of speed which matter on a tactical battlefield, but it's slow on a strategic level. Think less "on the battlefield" and more " traveling between battles"

You can't reasonably pair it with an ice ferret or a phantom or a wulfen and expect the star to stay together on the move.

Like I said though, it makes an excellent partner to the skinwalker who suffers from the same low long-term speed.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
50 ton Mechs don't move at Ice Ferret speeds. They are line Mechs. 6/9 is as fast as they go without being compromised. I think you are hoping for something the Mech was never intended to be.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
There's a reasonable medium design at 50-55 for 7/11 especially with speed enhancement but you start running into payload issues rapidly.  Very rapidly.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
There's a reasonable medium design at 50-55 for 7/11 especially with speed enhancement but you start running into payload issues rapidly.  Very rapidly.
And I love our little monkey OmniMech friend. But as you say, pod space is at a premium.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
XXL engine would return a lot of payload. But shifts issues toward heat and space, though careful equipment choices can correct that.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

SteveRestless

• Major
50 ton Mechs don't move at Ice Ferret speeds. They are line Mechs. 6/9 is as fast as they go without being compromised. I think you are hoping for something the Mech was never intended to be.

You've got to realize I was starting from zero on this. I'm not expecting a 50t line mech to move at ice ferret speeds, I was anticipating the wolves building a lighter design that moved faster. We had no indication what the stormwolf WAS until fairly recently, much less what tonnage it would be, or what role it was intended for.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Is that not what the Wulfen already is?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
It's censored because I am not permitted to speak of it, due to my prior zeal in arguing over it. PM me if you're still stuck.

I'll say it then since it actually took me awhile to figure it out:  Woodsman!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I'll say it then since it actually took me awhile to figure it out:  Woodsman!
Oh yeah, that wasn't on the list. I think I had mentally already added it and that's why I didn't see it. Thanks.

SteveRestless

• Major
Is that not what the Wulfen already is?

Well, maybe it's time to start fielding whole stars and naries of homogenous designs, since We are the new star league again and both TRO 3145 and the iRCGs show the wolves doing exactly that. But I still find a star that's a mix of two or three designs more interesting and versatile than five to ten of the same mech.

Which is why it's be sweet if the Phantom were back on the menu, it's the only wolf Omni that properly keeps up with a wulfen. And the storm wolf makes a nice partner to the Skinwalker in the same way.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
While you are fretting about which of the four medium OmniMechs Clan Wolf builds you should use, I am still stuck using the same Viper I had in 1990, which was out of production for most of the Republic Era.
I would kill for a heavy Omni bigger than 65 tons. The Wulfen has grabbed the 30 ton 10/15 slot so I guess I am stuck with Firemoths for another 30 years. A hundred ton Omni would be nice, given the Wolves have two. An assault Omni with side torso armor would be nice now the Kingfisher is solidly Raven.

So forgive me if not having an OmniMech that quite matches the movement profile of a Wulfen seems like IlClan problems.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
While you are fretting about which of the four medium OmniMechs Clan Wolf builds you should use, I am still stuck using the same Viper I had in 1990, which was out of production for most of the Republic Era.
I would kill for a heavy Omni bigger than 65 tons. The Wulfen has grabbed the 30 ton 10/15 slot so I guess I am stuck with Firemoths for another 30 years. A hundred ton Omni would be nice, given the Wolves have two. An assault Omni with side torso armor would be nice now the Kingfisher is solidly Raven.

So forgive me if not having an OmniMech that quite matches the movement profile of a Wulfen seems like IlClan problems.
  Dont worry,with how he plays they will be bear mechs soon enough ;).
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face