Register Register

Author Topic: Wars of Reaving  (Read 645 times)

MarauderD

• Captain
Wars of Reaving
« on: 04 September 2020, 13:23:01 »
So, I was wondering about the state of the Clan Homeworlds.  Post-Wars of Reaving, how many Clans are actually left?  I count four:  Star Adders, Coyotes, Cloud Cobras, and Stone Lion.

What am I missing? 

Empyrus

• Major
Re: Wars of Reaving
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2020, 13:37:42 »
Yup, that's correct.
Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor, Blade BLD-XR variant, Valiant VLT-3E variant, DI Multipurpose VTOL, Void (Minelayer) for fan funding
(Also Atlas AS7-K2)

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2020, 13:56:34 »
Don't know if it's mentioned, but wouldn't the power balance be entirely out of whack?

Clan Star Adder is several orders of magnitude stronger due to absorptions than the Cloud Cobras, right?  Coyotes exist but with a weakened Touman and little to no scientist caste.  Stone Lions are just a remnant of the Hells Horses, who theoretically have most of their touman in the IS.

So is clan society now Clan Star Adder, with a couple other clans that aren't truly competition?  Can the Clan way of life continue in that setting?

Empyrus

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2020, 14:05:08 »
Campaign Operations example campaign, which i believe was declared canonical, had the Stone Lions grown in strength and the Star Adders weaken. So presumably they maintain a balance of sorts.
I would not expect to hear any more of them for anytime soon, they've been basically put on a bus for now.

EDIT Wars of Reaving Supplemental had some details on the post-WoR situation and it wasn't as bad as you make it sound, i think. Been sometime since i read that.
Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor, Blade BLD-XR variant, Valiant VLT-3E variant, DI Multipurpose VTOL, Void (Minelayer) for fan funding
(Also Atlas AS7-K2)

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2020, 14:56:56 »
Lots of restraint on the Star Adder's part. Also, the clans were so ground down after the Reavings that even they thought twice about going to war. The Blood Spirits were only destroyed after they persisted in a destructive tradition that was one of the major sticking points in the Wars of Reaving. (One of Kurt Russel's longest line from the movie Soldier is what it boils down to. "Soldiers fight soldiers, SIR!")

The Goliath Scorpion's crimes were repeatedly lying to the Council and allowing their lower castes to do as they wished without supervision. It should be pointed out that the Goliath Scorpions supervised the purge of the Coyote scientist caste. Even then, the Goliath Scorpions were merely abjured.

When last we left off with the Homeworlds, The Star Adders were developing Fire Mandrill tendencies, the Cloud Cobras were falling into their old routines, the Coyotes transitioned into the Merchant clan, and the Stone Lions were angling every little bit they could on growth.

Alan Grant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2020, 15:06:38 »
The Adders really do reign supreme in the Homeworlds. They have the largest touman and most warships. But they seem to be done trying to conquer or do away with the other remaining Clans. They are trying to lead the Clan Homeworld society at this point.

As Wars of Reaving Supplemental discusses, the Adders are at the forefront of new guiding philosophies. Those are the bastions (a variation of the Warden philosophy that believes the Clans need to stay separate from corrupt influences of the Inner Sphere) and the Aggressors (a more extreme variation of the Crusaders, throw Honor rules away, wage Total War on the Inner Sphere).

That's what the Adders wanted all along, to be the leaders, to guide all of the Clans. They created that. Very little happens now without at least a passive approval by the Adders.

The other Clans are relatively weak. The Coyotes were weakest because of the devastation they faced after helping the Society, but gaining the Winson bloodname meant they had the last of the Founders bloodlines in the Homeworlds and that proved to be an important bargaining chip. But everyone still gives them the stink eye for helping The Society during the Wars of Reaving era.

The Stone Lions were especially weak as well starting out but the Adders helped create them and looked out for them in their early years. So they've had the opportunity to grow and thrive but are still small. But they've won plenty of trials and absorbed units from the other Clans to grow. If there is a new "Good Guy" Clan in the Homeworlds its the Lions (just my theory, who knows what'll emerge when the Homeworld Clans reappear). While everyone else did some pretty horrific things, they were just the Horses' Zeta Galaxy fighting to survive and defend themselves and their territory, all but abandoned by their Clan and being made a Clan was recognition of that. But they aren't an Adder puppet and they are trying to prove that, they've won plenty of Trials on their own.

The Cloud Cobras seemed ok at the end of the Wars of Reaving but the fighting cost them a lot. Then to their horror they discovered that most of their genetic legacies were corrupted and lost, so they were staring down a true genetic death. So they did a mad dash to get new genetic material. They lost a lot of their air power and are more balanced now between air and ground forces. Their Cloisters are taking sides in the Bastion versus Aggressors debate.

Last we heard of these Clans, they were working to bring the Homeworlds back online. Lots of enclaves were destroyed or de-populated. Lots of facilities and infrastructure and population were just completely lost. Lots of bloodlines from destroyed Clans were left idle, so a lot of genetic material to fight over. So there has been trials and politics but also a lot of rebuilding.

« Last Edit: 04 September 2020, 15:25:02 by Alan Grant »

Wolf72

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2020, 20:16:29 »
I think between the Society and the Reavings, the Home Clans have their hands full trying to rebuild their already fragile infrastructure.

If the Adders go all stir crazy and fight themselves; well good!

War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

CJC070

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2020, 20:35:21 »
Between the Reavings and Society machinations the Homeworld Clans are in pretty rough shape.  They couldn’t even take on the Goliath Scorpions openly.  Honestly I see the Scorpion Empire and the Homeworld Clans almost neck and neck in terms of fire power and numbers. 
Yes both the Coyotes and the Stone Lions are in rough shape but they can bounce back especially since the Star Adders and Cloud Cobras are having internal difficulties.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2020, 12:21:23 »
Right now with the Goliath Scorpions conquering the Hansa they probably could easily fend off a Ckan push into there space.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Metallgewitter

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2020, 07:20:35 »
Clan Star Adder can be considered to be the arbiter of what is the clan way. And from what I underestand is that they are basically keeping the remaining Clans within the Kerensky Cluster. And of course they have a lot to rebuild because every world got hit by combat or viruses. Case in point: from the original 5 Pentagon worlds two or three have been written of the charts. And the two worlds that had a 100% sustainability, York and Vinton, were more or less destroyed and can't be resettled (at least that is my understanding)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2020, 10:59:44 »
The Conquest of the Hansa by the Scorpions might have woken up the Home Clans. Before that th Scorpions were something to be disregarded as weak, inferior and dezgra.

Now they are powerful, inferior and dezgra, a danger for the Home Clans. This might get them into Action and to attack the Scorpions full-force.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2020, 12:06:19 »
Campaign Operations example campaign, which i believe was declared canonical, had the Stone Lions grown in strength and the Star Adders weaken. So presumably they maintain a balance of sorts.

I wouldn't put much faith in that example campaign being canon, as the other example campaign (showcasing a Coyote invasion of Imperio worlds) has now been proven non-canonical with the publication of OTP:Hanseatic Crusade.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0