Register Register

Author Topic: What happened to Jerome Winson's Marauder?  (Read 666 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What happened to Jerome Winson's Marauder?
« on: 30 November 2021, 11:59:02 »
First Khan of the Wolves, and successor ilKhan to Nicolas Kerensky, committed suirkede when a illness robbed him of the vitality he had as a warrior.  The Invasion Wolves built a shrine to him, IIRC as part of the Winson Blood Chapel and it had his restored Marauder 2R on display.  The Marauder 2R was stock- never modified with Clan tech or even the prototype Clan weapons (come on, not even the Enhanced ERPPCs?) . . . which means one of two things- as ilKhan he had other warriors act as his champion . . . or he was just that good to win & survive individual champions.  Or his political skills were so good, he was never at a disadvantage with his personal ride.

Either way, what would have happened to his Marauder 2R during and after the Wars of Reaving?  The Winson Blood Chapel was not destroyed like the Kerensky chapels, nor was it as vigorously defended IIRC . . . but it might also have been co-located with Jennifer Winson's Chapel . . . and would likely have been close to the Kerensky chapels.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What happened to Jerome Winson's Marauder?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2021, 15:48:04 »
I've not read anything stating it, but it being a Wolf Khan's 'Mech, I'd say it was probably scrapped for parts after the Wolves were kicked out of the Homeworlds.  Alternately, give it to some Solahma warrior as a way to denigrate the 'Mech itself, "the Wolf Clan hardware is only fit for dezgra loser troops" maybe.

I am curious myself now what happened to it, though.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2021, 16:01:02 »
The only reason I see it perhaps being different is it belonged to the 2nd ilKhan- Niki's successor.

I will refrain from sharing my personal fun mental story I came up with driving over the holiday . . . though it might come out later.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2021, 16:10:00 »
Lol, what I was thinking . . .

. . . but I was curious what other people thought.
Colt Ward

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2021, 20:11:28 »
The Clans are not fond of waste but they are also not big on destroying history. Most likely the Mech was moved from the Chapel to a Clan Museum. The other thing to note is after the Kerensky heritage was lost in the Homeworlds there is a good chance the Winson bloodheritage was salvaged. And then incorporated into another Clan.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2021, 20:44:21 »
if it was in a museum and survived the final wolf attack (didn't they NUKE the place or something??) then I could see, as long time staunch allies, an Elite Scorpion Seeker Star doing a trial to grab it from whomever held the land and getting it TFOD before something else went wrong.
Which means it's plausible it's sitting its happy chicken-legged butt in Imperio territory. :-)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2021, 20:46:10 »
They blew the Kerensky chapels and maybe the Wolf genetic repository- been a while since I read Reavings.

But yeah, sitting in the new Scorpion museum is another possibility.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2021, 22:34:26 »

The Society swiped it and sent it to Kerensky Memorial Manufacturing for refurbishment.  The Marauder-Z sported Improved Heavy Lasers, iATMs, and Nova CEWS.  Or maybe a Mobile HPG.  I don’t remember exactly.  There was a lot of confusion during the Wars of Reaving...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2021, 00:24:36 »
Given the sheer level of destruction visited on Strana Mechty during the Wars of Reaving, it was likely destroyed. Had it survived, it would have likely been 'purged' along with any other remnants of the Wolves in the Homeworlds. After all, the Wolves were a tainted Clan who had been abjured and on top of everything else, committed the ultimate sin by destroying the Kerensky genetic legacies.

The idea that the Clans abhor waste is, like everything else in Clan society, a dirty lie they tell themselves
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2021, 07:25:41 »
Jerome Winson & his Marauder are in Legends, in the Star League section. It says in part, "After Winson's death, his Marauder was placed alongside him in a mausoleum inside the Clan Wolf enclave on Strana Mechty, the walls adorned with bas relief carvings depicting each kill made by Winson in the cockpit of his 'Mech."

It's entirely possible it survived the Wars of Reaving, we just don't know enough detail about that particular section of Strana Mechty.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

ManicMaestro

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2021, 09:53:04 »
... The Marauder 2R was stock- never modified with Clan tech or even the prototype Clan weapons (come on, not even the Enhanced ERPPCs?) . . . which means one of two things- as ilKhan he had other warriors act as his champion . . . or he was just that good to win & survive individual champions.  ...

In the opening story from OTP: Widowmaker Absorption (set in 2834) Jerome is driving a Marauder IIC. My best guess is his MAD-2R was retired sometime on or after 2828 (the IIC intro date). The Enhanced ERPPC has an intro date of 2823, and was rendered obsolete by 2828. So my guess is rather than update the vintage mech, he just made the swap to the meaner big brother. If he did have any mods made to the MAD-2R, I'd imagine you could wave that away by saying it was "restored" to the original spec when it was added to the shrine.

Guardian11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2021, 20:06:12 »
The Coyotes currently hold Jennifer Winson's genetic legacy as part of the price for their assistance to Clan Wolf. This is likely a major reason they were allowed to survive when several other Clans that did far less were wiped out.

I just recently re-read the Wolf sections of Wars of Reaving to get ideas for putting together a Star operating during the raid on the Kerensky Blood Chapel, and in addition to the Kerensky Chapel being blown up the master genetic repository was raided with the scientists being executed and all information on Kerensky genetics being wiped from the database and any samples contained there destroyed. Also, it mentions the Winson Chapel being burned, but the extent of the damage to that Chapel isn't detailed as far as I can remember. Considering, the entry in Legends, provided his mausoleum remained intact after the burning of the Winson Chapel and all the other destruction that occurred on Strana Mechty, Jerome's Marauder is likely still sitting in his mausoleum as one of the last bits of the Clan founders' legacy still remaining and a tie to the last founding legacy they still have in their possession.