Register Register

Author Topic: Behemoth Infantry Carrier  (Read 1088 times)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Behemoth Infantry Carrier
« on: 22 September 2022, 03:42:05 »
Based on some posts in the story thread "What Could Go Wrong" in the fanfic forum, and also because Covid quarantine is making me loopy, I decided to turn the venerable Behemoth Heavy Tank into an infantry carrier. Well, two infantry carriers actually.

First, the Infantry Fighting Vehicle version, which loses the SRM-2 and their ammo bin in order to make space a jump infantry platoon, plus an additional ton of AC ammo, because 10 shots per gun isn´t a lot:

Behemoth Heavy Tank (IFV) Base Tech Level: Introductory (IS)  Level Era
Standard 2952+
Tech Rating: E/X-D-D-D  Weight: 100 tons BV: 1,117 Cost: 2,922,667 C-bills Source: TRO 3039 - Succession Wars  Movement: 2/3 (Tracked) Engine: 200 ICE  Internal: 50 Armor: 208

Internal Armor
Front 10 46
Right 10 38
Left 10 38
Rear 10 40
Turret 10 46

Weapons Loc Heat

LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
Machine Gun FR 0
Machine Gun FR 0
Machine Gun RS 0
Machine Gun LS 0
SRM 6 TU 4
SRM 6 TU 4
AC/10 TU 3
AC/10 TU 3

Ammo Loc Shots

LRM 5 Ammo BD 24
LRM 5 Ammo BD 24
Machine Gun Ammo BD 200
SRM 6 Ammo BD 15
SRM 6 Ammo BD 15
AC/10 Ammo BD 10
AC/10 Ammo BD 10
AC/10 Ammo BD 10

Carrying Capacity Troops - 4.0 tons

And the Armored Personnel Carrier version, which loses all the turret-mounted weapons in exchange for a 36 ton infantry bay and an additional machine gun on each flank. This magnificent abomination of combat vehicle design can carry 12 foot infantry platoons or 9 jump infantry platoons into combat at roughly twice their walking speed. It could also carry 6 motorized platoons instead, but why bother, because they´d be faster on their own:

Behemoth Heavy Tank (APC) Base Tech Level: Introductory (IS)  Level Era
Standard 2952+
Tech Rating: E/X-C-C-C  Weight: 100 tons BV: 866 Cost: 1,782,667 C-bills Source: TRO 3039 - Succession Wars  Movement: 2/3 (Tracked) Engine: 200 ICE  Internal: 50 Armor: 208

Internal Armor
Front 10 46
Right 10 38
Left 10 38
Rear 10 40
Turret 10 46

Weapons Loc Heat
LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
LRM 5 FR 2
Machine Gun FR 0
Machine Gun FR 0
SRM 2 FR 2
SRM 2 FR 2
Machine Gun RS 0
SRM 2 RS 2
Machine Gun RS 0
Machine Gun LS 0
SRM 2 LS 2
Machine Gun LS 0

Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 5 Ammo BD 24
LRM 5 Ammo BD 24
Machine Gun Ammo BD 200
SRM 2 Ammo BD 50

Carrying Capacity Troops - 36.0 tons

Sorry for the questionable formatting, I copy-pasted it from MegaMekLab. For those of you who might actually want to use these things, I´ve attached the design files to this post.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2022, 03:55:55 by Sir Chaos »
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: Behemoth Infantry Carrier
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2022, 03:57:49 »
And now that I think of it, the APC version could lose the LRM, their ammo and one machine gun on each location and drop the machine gun ammo to half a ton. That would allow expanding the infantry bay to 48 tons, because more is always better, right?
-Frederick the Great

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2022, 05:16:49 »
The first one is a very sensible IFV for a high threat environment. The second is glorious madness. That's more passenger capacity than some commuter trains. Given the height of BT vehicles I imagine it as a double or tripple decker  :D
Jude Melancon lives!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2022, 05:40:23 »
The first one is a very sensible IFV for a high threat environment. The second is glorious madness. That's more passenger capacity than some commuter trains. Given the height of BT vehicles I imagine it as a double or tripple decker  :D

The Behemoth has only about half again the mass of an M1 Abrams.

Just imagine a vehicle about that much bigger than an Abrams coming to a stop on the battlefield, a hatch in the back popping open and over 400 infantry storming out of it!

The Behemoth IFV could actually make sense, not really as infantry transport, but to provide a heavy tank with some integral infantry support in urban environments. And with a 4 ton bay, it could also carry a squad of BA instead.
-Frederick the Great

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2022, 08:57:19 »
You have to think of it as a particular sturdy bus, not a tank. Articulated busses hold about 150 people and weight around 30 tonnes...
Jude Melancon lives!

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2022, 09:00:27 »
And it takes the APC how long to disembark?  :o
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2022, 09:11:17 »
And it takes the APC how long to disembark?  :o

6 to 7 minutes, I think  ;D
Jude Melancon lives!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2022, 09:15:17 »
One squad per round, isn´t it?

So, two minutes for the APC version carrying foot infantry.
-Frederick the Great

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2022, 09:32:10 »
So, roughly the time of an average BT engagement... :)
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2022, 11:30:23 »

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2022, 12:16:15 »
Given how slow it is, I'd probably just do a 3 ton Foot Bay for the SW Era.

As noted, everything else is equal/faster than its ponderous 2/3 profile.

For the APC, I'll stick w/ Maxims or Planet Lifters, if I'm moving that much Infantry.
  I'd want to get them moved to wherever & off loaded before they mutiny at the cramped conditions & slow travel rate.  LOL.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2022, 13:53:25 »
Given how slow it is, I'd probably just do a 3 ton Foot Bay for the SW Era.

For a true IFV, I´d probably agree with you. But given the disparity in cost and capability between the vehicle and its passengers, realistically the infantry is there to protect the vehicle against infantry in close-quarters environments such as cities, not the other way around (i.e. the vehicle is there to protect the infantry against vehicles), so you´d want infantry that can keep up (at least on a tactical level, see below) with the vehicle.

As noted, everything else is equal/faster than its ponderous 2/3 profile.

Motorized platoons, yes. But jump platoons have a ground speed of 1/1.

I always operate under the assumption that all units can only use walk/cruise speed when moving strategically - running or jumping is just too taxing, and too likely to lead to accidents.

On the tactical scale, with battles that are over in minutes, we can ignore the miniscule risk of some minor slip of attention leads to a mech tripping and falling, or to a jump trooper twisting their ankle while landing, or something like that.

But for strategic movement, where you´d run or jump not 5-10 rounds in a row, but several thousand rounds in a row, that risk adds up, to the point that it´s just not worth it except under the most extreme of emergencies.

And even discounting that, using APCs allows the infantry to arrive at the battlefield reasonably fresh, as opposed to exhausted from hours of non-stop jumping.
-Frederick the Great

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2022, 15:41:29 »
One squad per round, isn´t it?

So, two minutes for the APC version carrying foot infantry.
Per platoon, I think you meant?

IIRC it’s "up to stacking limit each turn" unless there's been an errata. Flyers can drop two jump platoon.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2022, 15:55:39 »
Per platoon, I think you meant?

IIRC it’s "up to stacking limit each turn" unless there's been an errata. Flyers can drop two jump platoon.

Oops. Yes. Per platoon.
-Frederick the Great

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2022, 17:10:34 »
Nah have the troop compartment open from the top the way some Vietnam Era vehicles did

You then load only jump troops and have a trooper katyusha!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2022, 19:09:57 »
But for strategic movement, where you´d run or jump not 5-10 rounds in a row, but several thousand rounds in a row, that risk adds up, to the point that it´s just not worth it except under the most extreme of emergencies.

And even discounting that, using APCs allows the infantry to arrive at the battlefield reasonably fresh, as opposed to exhausted from hours of non-stop jumping.

Personally I'd move them in something faster regardless.
Jump troops are fairly rare & precious. 
Deploy them from Karnovs/Planet Lifters depending on the situation.

FYI.  It won't be hours of Jumping or several thousand jumps.
They run on fuel & will be out in minutes  (200 jumps will be over in 33 minutes)
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_Pack
They also don't have to "jump" since they can "fly" albeit by using even more fuel.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2022, 04:23:39 »
Nah have the troop compartment open from the top the way some Vietnam Era vehicles did

You then load only jump troops and have a trooper katyusha!

Congratulations. You have turned my feat of glorious madness into something even more gloriously mad!
-Frederick the Great

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2022, 04:40:58 »
Troop Katyusha is just too good.
I suggest [Human] Cannonball as the name for the vehicle.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2022, 15:36:04 »
Split the weapons load of the troopers to half SRMs and Half flamer the visuals would just be cool
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2022, 10:04:06 »
Move forward… deploy a platoon… move forward deploy a platoon… move forward….

Just keep dropping platoons in a horizontal line across the field for a defensive mission.

Very entertaining.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2022, 11:14:17 »
If you want to throw some advanced equipment into play, give it an amphibious chassis modification to make it a landing ship tank!  An armored motive system would also help  >:D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2022, 11:44:36 »
I see the 36 ton version and just think... inferno missile it's fun as soon as I saw Behemoth it's what I thought huge cargo but its way too many eggs in one basket
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Register