Register Register

Author Topic: PERUN MEDIUM MISSILE ARTILLERY TANK  (Read 395 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
PERUN MEDIUM MISSILE ARTILLERY TANK
« on: 04 December 2022, 18:12:11 »

The early Clans developed the Perun from the SLDF’s Chaparral to maximize transportable Arrow IV artillery assets in their combat vehicle stars.  A simple, tracked platform, the Perun mounts dual Arrow IV launchers and enough ammo to sustain two minutes of continuous fire from both.  True to its name, a Star of Peruns can support a Clan Cluster with 20 Arrow IV missiles every ten seconds.  The 50-ton Perun fits inside a dropship’s Light Vehicle Bays or can be tied down inside a dropship’s Cargo Bays, making it the most efficient Arrow IV delivery vehicle short of mechanized or motorized infantry.

To carry so much artillery firepower in such a compact tank, the Perun relies on a 200-rated extralight engine and ferro-fibrous armor.  The weight-saving technologies allow the Perun to keep up with Clan assault units and protect itself from one or two 20-class autocannon shells.  But the Perun is not as high-performance as other Clan combat vehicles and is best deployed in rear formations.  Only two ER Medium Lasers defend the Perun in close combat, and these even lack a turret.  However, each Perun mounts Target Acquisition Gear, and if a star of Peruns is overrun, one or two will stay behind to spot for the rest and stop an enemy advance cold.

For reasons still not clear to historians, the Clans gradually discarded the Perun in favor of ever less practical, more expensive, and esoteric Arrow IV platforms, like the Huitzipochtli, Bowman, Naga, and Hadur.  However, the ever-practical ilClan, having inherited Grumman Industries’ Chaparral production line on Terra and in need of war material with which to equip a new SLDF, has restarted Perun production.

Code: [Select]
Perun Medium Artillery Missile Tank

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: Tracked
Rules Level: Advanced
Era: ilClan
Production Year: 3153

Power Plant: 200 Extralight Fusion Engine
Cruise Speed: 43 km/h
Flanking Speed: 65 km/h
Armor: StarSlab/10 Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    2 Arrow IV
    2 ER Medium Lasers
    1 TAG
Manufacturer: Grumman Industries
    Primary Factory: Terra
Communications System: TransComm 13
Targeting and Tracking System: TransComm WDS60A

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                                               5.00
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             200                       6.50
    Cruise MP:  4
    Flank MP:   6
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         2.50
Lift Equipment:                                                            0.00
Turret:                                                                    0.00
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 115                  6.00

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     40       
                                          Left/Right   25/25             
                                                Rear     25       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Arrow IV                                   F         -        2         24.00
Ammo (Arrow IV) 25                           B         -        1          5.00
2 ER Medium Lasers                           F        10        2          2.00
TAG                                          F         -        1          1.00
Recommended Quirks:  Power Reverse, Trailer Hitch, Bad Reputation
« Last Edit: 07 December 2022, 10:16:57 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: PERUN MEDIUM MISSILE ARTILLERY TANK
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2022, 18:52:37 »
You can take "Gas Hog" with a fusion engine? ???

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2022, 20:03:28 »
You can take "Gas Hog" with a fusion engine? ???

You’re right.  Deleted above.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2022, 05:38:28 »
It is... actually not that slow, right? Consider that this is an artillery vehicle that is expected to avoid face to face situation 4/6 seems already enough. A 50 tonner vehicle is very weight efficient to ship with a dropship compared by mechs as well, as the fluff said.

Also have a TAG is not so bad either, and the fluff already explains the reason for this. So it would expect more chance to survive even if the frontline was breached and they got the enemy skirmishers who want to hunt down the enemy artillery. Consider such possibility, even the two EL Medium Lasers only for using the remaining heat sinks seems quite reasonable. They are unlikely to beat the enemy, but they can fight back at least.

Perhaps what makes them to discard it would be an XL engine. It's a weight efficient vehicle, but it is far from 'the best X unit in the Touman' and it's a vehicle that is usually reserved for the second rated warriors. But an XL engine for this? For the non-mech unit that is expected to avoid combat directly? Maybe it is already enough to them to think that it is nothing more than the waste. Although 200 XL has not much of uses.

The only issue would be the odd numbered ammo storage, despite of its even numbers of launchers. What about to add the issue on the fluff? It would be fun to say for this at least for a bit.

Also, will they think about using Reactive Armor on it? It's an artillery vehicle so it would be worth considering. Though FF armor is better when it encounters the enemy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2022, 18:48:10 »
4/6 is fine as long as you're in reasonable terrain.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2022, 02:09:28 »
It is... actually not that slow, right? Consider that this is an artillery vehicle that is expected to avoid face to face situation 4/6 seems already enough.

For gameplay/tactical movement, no, her 4/6 MPs are fast enough.  But in terms of fluff/strategic movement, the Perun wouldn’t be able to keep up with typical Clan heavy cav at 5/8 MPs.  From that perspective, I wish she could have pulled off 5/8, but we can’t have everything.

A 50 tonner vehicle is very weight efficient to ship with a dropship compared by mechs as well, as the fluff said.

Yeah, that’s what I was going for — pack as much Arrow IV as possible onto a Light Tank that’s not totally unarmored or a pillbox or lacking in ammo/secondary weapons or a hyper-expensive XXL experimental design.

Also have a TAG is not so bad either, and the fluff already explains the reason for this.

Yeah, I always thought Nagas and such should have TAG.

Consider such possibility, even the two EL Medium Lasers only for using the remaining heat sinks seems quite reasonable. They are unlikely to beat the enemy, but they can fight back at least.

The ER Mediums are there to WSIWYG with the Chaparral and to make use of the heat sinks that come with the engine.  But if she’s kept offboard the whole game and you don’t care about WSIWYG, you’re probably better off putting those two tons into ammo.

No one will do this in a game, but a full star (10 Peruns) will throw 20 ER Medium Lasers and 20 Arrow IV a turn.  That should stop/deter most fast-movers/breakthroughs.

Perhaps what makes them to discard it would be an XL engine.

Yeah, most Clan combat vehicles, especially the original ones, only use SFE, with the occasional ICE.  Only later do we see XLE on Enyos and the like.

That said, she’s way cheaper to build and easier to ship than a Naga or even a Bowman.  No omnimech, no big XLE, no mechbay, etc.  And she’s not a pillbox/sitting duck like the Huey either.  To me, the Perun is the reasonable, mid-range, vanilla, Arrow IV support that Clan frontline clusters should have had all along.  The Naga never made sense, and the Huey is only good for ground-bound defense.

The only issue would be the odd numbered ammo storage, despite of its even numbers of launchers. What about to add the issue on the fluff? It would be fun to say for this at least for a bit.

It doesn’t affect gameplay; both launchers can draw from the same ammo bin.  One launcher will get one extra round off before the bins run dry, but I already obliquely referenced that by saying she can sustain over two minutes of continuous fire.

Also, will they think about using Reactive Armor on it? It's an artillery vehicle so it would be worth considering.

Agree that’s a natural upgrade path and would cost nothing in tonnage to maintain the same total armor points.  Superchargers, Armored Motive System, and AMS are also good defensive investments, but she doesn’t really have spare tonnage for that stuff.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2022, 05:27:37 »
So... consider the frontline unit's speed, 4/6 is indeed slow. Arrow IV is not renown for its long range either, so rely on them may cause some problem on the tactical/strategic maneuver. Perhaps there would be a few commanders who lose the battle because of this. Naga is much more expensive but they may keep up with the frontliner thanks to 5/8 movement, however.

Also, although it's cheaper than Arrow IV mechs, but, as the most elitism faction I think that Clans will have strong bias for prefer mech and one big badass, over vehicle and cost efficient unit. I imagine that, "Why you are bothered to use an XL engine vehicle, if you can pay some more and you have a shiny, durable and awesome mech instead?" I think that it depends on the clans and some clans will use such cost efficient and/or artillery unit more than the others, but still it is possible that those who despise the waste may do waste things by their own bias.

And not only the unit itself, but also the construction line would be the reason as well. A mech facility is easier to change to make the different mech than the different vehicle.

Although I suspect that the most important reason that you said that it wasn't common despite of its effectiveness is its status of the fan made unit. :))

Anyway, that's quite deadly, indeed.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2022, 19:55:34 »
Would you believe it's possible to make a Thumper move 7/11/7? ???  >:D

Register