Register Register

Author Topic: Clan Combat Puller (Tractor)  (Read 438 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Clan Combat Puller (Tractor)
« on: 14 April 2021, 21:03:33 »
Whaaaat??? You have to export to text file in MML ... OOOOOH.  Just figured that out and it hurt my brain it made so much sense.

I love trailers, at the least the idea of them.  I tend to make them cheap with 40 rate engines, so either 40 ton tracked or 60 ton wheeled trailer.  I made this unit up to pull the tracked variants around and act as a scout and or spotter when needed with built in back up systems (hence the remote camera and searchlight).

Code: [Select]
Combat Puller Tank

Mass: 40 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: 280 XL
Cruising Speed: 75.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 118.8 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     1 ER Medium Laser
     1 Small Pulse Laser
     2 Flamer (Vehicle)
     1 TAG (Clan)
     2 Anti-Missile System
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2900
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-F-F-D
Cost: 5,304,833 C-bills

Type: Combat Puller
Technology Base: Clan (Experimental)
Movement Type: Tracked
Tonnage: 40
Battle Value: 1,092

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    4
Engine                        280 XL                 12
Cruising MP: 7
Flank MP: 11
Heat Sinks:                   10                      0
Control Equipment:                                  2.0
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             0.5
Armor Factor                  176                    11

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   4         38   
     R/L Side               4/4      38/38   
     Rear                    4         38   
     Turret                  4         24   

Weapons
and Ammo                        Location    Tonnage   
Trailer Hitch                     Rear        0.0     
Anti-Missile System               Left        0.5     
Vehicular Sponson Turret          Left        0.25   
2 Flamer                        Sponson       1.0     
Trailer Hitch                    Front        0.0     
Anti-Missile System              Right        0.5     
Vehicular Sponson Turret         Right        0.25   
Anti-Missile System Ammo (48)     Body        2.0     
Vehicle Flamer Ammo (20)          Body        1.0     
ECM Suite                         Body        1.0     
ER Medium Laser                  Turret       1.0     
TAG                              Turret       1.0     
Recon Camera                     Turret       0.5     
Small Pulse Laser                Turret       1.0     
Searchlight                      Turret       0.5     

I could totally drop the armor down and add in PBI or BA support (3 or 5 tons).
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

idea weenie

• Captain
Re: Clan Combat Puller (Tractor)
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2021, 21:15:44 »
Looks like a useful basic scout, preferably for long range using the Recon Camera, rather than closing to get within 6 hexes using the Clan Beagle Probe.  I am guessing the ECM is in case someone tries to drop a NARC beacon (or get close with a C3 system).

Your turret still has 1 ton of capacity on it, would mounting one of the AMS on that be a good idea?  Put the other AMS on the rear, to let the crew know that if they are getting shot at, they should be running away.

With two Flamers, mount one on the on the turret as well, and the second on the front.  The Flamer in front is for clearing brush out of the vehicle's way, the one on the turret is for defending against ambushing infantry (though the Small Pulse laser will help with that).

For Flamer ammo on a vehicle with a Fusion engine, why not go with the Mech-grade Flamer?  Unless the vehicle-grade Flamers are also there to spray coolant or other fluids as needed?

How many trailers can it pull at different speeds?  Do you have a link to a few examples of the 40-ton or 60-ton trailers?  (I am guessing you might also go with 50-ton wheeled trailers, so they can be tied down in a Light Vehicle Bay instead of needing a Heavy Vehicle Bay.)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2021, 16:26:39 »
ran out of slots for some of the answers.

If you're attacking with this unit, you've done something wrong.

First Job: pull trailer units with much bigger bang (a 40 ton trailer with a 40 ICE can hold some big guns ... ok maybe one big gun and lots of armor)

ECM to help from being targeted mostly ... NARC, Streak, Artemis, etc.

Recon vs probe: totally right ... looking for a longer range peek.  TAG: for accurate missile/artillery drops.

locations: AMS -- um, no reason, they'll cover the L/R arcs completely no matter what.  Rear would be a good location though.  Chalk it up to designer flaw.

Flamers: oh yeah ... 2 Veh flamers and ammo = 4 regular clan flamers.  Flavor, I guess? Also, can only mount regular Flamer before running out of HS, with that extra mass I'm still limited on vehicle slots (13 max).

Flamer location: both are mounted in sponson turrets (I think I can mount the AMS there too, will check) so they each cover 1800 -- which means a full 3600
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

acksed

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2021, 09:54:50 »
A variant with a backhoe and/or a bulldozer blade might be fun. Combat engineers are not the Clan way, but they might learn that dirt is the cheapest ablative armour of all.
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2021, 15:28:03 »
I think that would be a totally different vehicle ... um, same chasis, ICE engine and slower movement. ... still put on trailer hitch for both and front. ... yeah, yeah.

Clans may not be about SeaBee's, but their lower caste has to get something completed.  I bet they have all sorts of decent non-combat units.  Being the clans they could easily be built with combat veh construction rules ... possibly, some former SL officer may have looked towards the future and the need for 'upgrade-able' equipment.

KS #1357