Register Register

Author Topic: Blazing Aces in the original 'Mechwarrior game  (Read 1246 times)

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
Blazing Aces in the original 'Mechwarrior game
« on: 04 January 2021, 13:17:10 »
Were the friendly 'Mechs on your side in the game always that blue/black/gray scheme?  I know the bad guys sometimes had that scheme and sometimes had red.

CDT Special Agent #343

Luciora

• Major
Re: Blazing Aces in the original 'Mechwarrior game
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2021, 13:39:08 »
I thought it was by chassis.  The Locust was always yellow and black to me.  Especially after a mission!  "Ba-dum-pish*

Were the friendly 'Mechs on your side in the game always that blue/black/gray scheme?  I know the bad guys sometimes had that scheme and sometimes had red.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2021, 15:00:48 »
As far as I'm aware there was no use of any kind of distinctive paint or color or individual units in the original MechWarrior. They're always just the next Reddit own individual paint Scheme or color scheme for that matter.

I can say that the Crescent Hawks 2nd game may have included actual pain scheme in it that Aces did sort of cameo in it. I didn't play the game in the day since i was in the service with no computer.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2021, 15:06:11 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2021, 17:17:55 »
I thought it was by chassis.  The Locust was always yellow and black to me.  Especially after a mission!  "Ba-dum-pish*
Looks like that may be the case.  Warhammer and Marauder red and black, Battlemaster blue and black, etc.

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2021, 17:39:43 »
I can say that the Crescent Hawks 2nd game may have included actual pain scheme in it that Aces did sort of cameo in it. I didn't play the game in the day since i was in the service with no computer.
Well, that little hint led me to Gideon Braver Vanderburg, stumbling out of his Battlemaster, moments before death.  Thanks!

CDT Special Agent #343

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2021, 19:16:13 »
I believe it is a Phoenix Hawk.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2021, 19:39:10 »
I went based off of some commentary on the video, and I’ll admit to being biased based on the penultimate ‘Mech in the original ‘Mechwarrior game.
To my eye, I’d guess Crusader.

CDT Special Agent #343

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2021, 19:52:16 »
If you choose to hot drop just a Lance to help him, he is around for one combat round before dying, and the icon for his Mech is a Phoenix Hawk.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2021, 20:19:26 »
That is the strangest Phoenix Hawk cockpit I have ever seen.  :D

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2021, 22:03:34 »
Ahhh one of my favorite games of all time. The color scheme was by chassis.  Made it confusing when your lancemates marauder was fighting the enemy marauder.  Yeah I do also remember that Gideon Braver was surrounded in his Phoenix Hawk by 5 clan mechs (so I can remember a video game detail from 30 years ago, but not to pick up eggs on the way home...).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2021, 22:19:45 »
That is the strangest Phoenix Hawk cockpit I have ever seen.  :D

The cockpit is what he's climbing out of on the left.  The original mini had a bulge at eye-level on the cockpit (Raybans?) and the artist apparently decided that was the entry/exit hatch, swinging open to the side.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2021, 06:54:39 »
Crescent Hawks are the one who Phoenix Hawk LAM is the iconic mech.  Gideon Braver Vanderburg didn't really have one particular mech he was assigned to.  You could had Lance of BattleMasters.  The Dark Wing had like 3 BattleMasters and Warhammer if remember correctly in their final battle.

I think the mech in the picture is non-BattleMech mech, since i believe the artist didn't really remake one and just made jumble of stuff.  If i were betting man based on the shoulder's upward thrusting structure, it would be Crusader.   Then again, it could be anything unless the game had said something. Gideon was on long enough to die giving his last message to the players of the Hawks.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2021, 07:00:15 »
The game says Phoenix Hawk during the scenario, though I agree the shoulder tower in the post-battle still-shot resembles a Crusader's more than a Phoenix Hawk's.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2021, 08:15:12 »
If you choose to hot drop just a Lance to help him, he is around for one combat round before dying, and the icon for his Mech is a Phoenix Hawk.
Man, that brought back a memory from the depths.  Thanks!

CDT Special Agent #343

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2021, 10:27:59 »
Crazy thing is, I did manage to finish Mechwarrior (killed the Dark Wing) in a Phoenix Hawk.  All I have is vague memories of using the standing dead mechs as cover for the next via large laser decapitation.  Took like 5 hits i think,  as I remember it taking 4 ppc shots to the cockpit of a Battlemaster.  The armor / weapon damage was very faithful to tabletop, with the exception of the head.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2021, 11:07:51 »
When I played Mechwarrior, I always assigned my lancemates to fight mech on mech.  I wish i could go back and redo the game to see how much easier it would be to fight by having my lancemates team up against the other mechs.  To recall they would tend to string themselves out when coming at you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 05 January 2021, 13:12:10 »
Amusingly the Scorpion "cameo" in MW1 by being some mech in hangar if i remember right.  Too bad those guys at Activision didn't mange get that mech into the game.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 05 January 2021, 17:06:34 »
Yeah, they directly referenced one of the notable pilots from TRO:3025, Wendell Puritan by name.

Amusingly the Scorpion "cameo" in MW1 by being some mech in hangar if i remember right.  Too bad those guys at Activision didn't mange get that mech into the game.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2021, 20:41:58 »
Tragically Puritan's canon mech never got the sperry browning machine gun or the autoloading mortars described in the game. Would have been an interesting, quirky variant.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Register