Register Register

Author Topic: Buying a new laptop to play HBS Battletech  (Read 574 times)

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Buying a new laptop to play HBS Battletech
« on: 16 August 2021, 00:58:44 »
Hey all, as in the title, if I buy a laptop to meet the recommended specs of HBS Battletech, is it going to run ok? Does anyone have experience? Or has the dlc pushed the resources needed up? I seem to remember cities were a particular drain.

I'm a student with a new baby so money is a little tight, I don't want to buy one if it runs like crap, I already have a laptop for that 😄

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Re: Buying a new laptop to play HBS Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2021, 00:59:27 »
Oh and ideally it'd play MW5!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2021, 07:04:59 »
basic? you will need something with a ssd with minimum 4mbs and up transfer speed at least 12 to 16 gb high frequency ram that matches the ssd  for screen 75 refresh and up
storage on ssd at least 500gb and up alien ware starts at about 1200 to 1300 and up and for proccessor at minimum something with I5 intel proccessor or I7
something with dedicated vid card not build in graphics card at least at 4gb (nvidi recommended since they always keep their patches and updates to date)btw intel chips have tendency to eat power a bit more if you are concerned about battery life bit that comes with performance and depending on bios you can adjust that in bios in newer machines
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2021, 03:51:56 »
Wow, 1200 and up :D I guess I'm not playing this game then!!

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2021, 07:35:58 »
High-performance laptops can get really pricey.  If your situation allows for it, I'd suggest building your own gaming desktop computer.  It's not that hard to do - you just need to make sure all your hardware is compatible.  It's also relative cheap, as low as half the price of an equivalent gaming laptop.  Plus you can upgrade it whenever you'd like.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2021, 07:41:04 »
For those that want to get into the HBS game, it is currently on sale at Humble Bundle for just over $9 (USD) here

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2021, 08:59:30 »
or you can spend money on a used workstation...
i had had no issues with hp elitebook 8770w have 2 of them one with single hd bay and the other which i use for work with 2 hd bays
just make sure it has over 8gb ram and ssd(or buy one without hd and get ssd to your size) hdI7 processor and above else dedicated nvidia vid card with 4gb also for fun 2 hdd bays majority come with just one.
just heads up if you want something bigger than the dedicated nvidia vid card you can update it but it will be expensive around 400 usd
keep in mind the models i reccomended for workstation will run you about 300usd and up and a still brand new one can run you up to almost 6k but that model is designed specifically to work with extreme graphic design...and when i say extreme think of toy story /final fantasy and dial it up way past 11 we are talking real life real time graphic design
another model you may want to look at is
Dell Latitude E7470 Laptop 2.60GHz Core i7 same price range but it is a laptop an not as tough as the hp model...

i had both workstations now for about 6 years only upgrades i needed to make them into gaming machines was up the ram and swap the sata hybrid drives to ssd
only annoying thing i have is they do not have hdmi slot but still i can of i want to play games on 60 inch screen since it has vga and audio input jack
another plus is a docking station that adds dew things...nattery life depending on usage can be anywhere from 2 to 6 hours or more most of power usage is gone to the screen tho so brighter the screen shorter the battery life. and speaking of batteries. pretty cheap they come with 2 flavors  so pick the one that will last longer when i opened one up while back they come in 6 aa and 8 aa lithium and the price usually is 40 or less usd(yah battery in hp workstationis made up of either 6 or 8 aa batteries sealed in plastic casing)

but if you already have and and want to switch to ssd there are apps for that so if you have a desk top you can transfer or clone that hd into a laptop/workstation hd it takes an hour at most depending on the age and type of hd.

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2021, 09:01:07 »
for a decent intro laptop

you need a decent processor
if intel, either 9/10/11th gen I5 or I7, I9 is way more than you need
if AMD a 4th or 5th gen Ryzen 5 or 7, R9 is also way more than you need

you need 8gb of ram minimum, 16 is preferable, if you get one with 8 make sure its upgradeable
you really want a solid state hard drive and a standard hard drive is good for backup

you want a screen thats at least capable of 60hz ie 60 frames per second, more if possible
you must have a dedicated graphics card on board, Nvidia 1000 or newer, this alone is bonna be the biggest constraint and effect on price/availability
notes from an old fart, these new laptops will not have as many ports as you want in most cases and none have a dvd drive

there are usually 15-20 models on BestBuy.com for under $1000
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2021, 10:22:41 »
for a decent intro laptop

you need 8gb of ram minimum, 16 is preferable, if you get one with 8 make sure its upgradeable
you really want a solid state hard drive and a standard hard drive is good for backup

you must have a dedicated graphics card on board, Nvidia 1000 or newer, this alone is bonna be the biggest constraint and effect on price/availability
notes from an old fart, these new laptops will not have as many ports as you want in most cases and none have a dvd drive

as dave had said hell even wallmart has laptops some at that price as best buys but the hardware is so out of date that it would be more optimized running windows vista or windows me
see the problem you have you ask what is the best for you but each person had a different idea on what is the best.
may i make a suggestion then? i found it works very well in long run...i used to build custom pc rigs and it works almost 100%

one figure out what you will be needing the machine for
two what is your budget aka what i can afford
three can i wait to get more for the budget to be bigger? aka how soon do i need it and can i afford to wait?
four do i need extras now or can i get them later?

i found that once you know answers to 4 questions you will be happier with machine even if it is on the budget

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2021, 02:28:01 »
Ok, thanks everyone, this has been really helpful, I think I may look into building a PC as I have a budget of sub £500 (not sure what that is in $ :D ). Thanks again!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2021, 09:20:36 »
you may also want to take a look at your local repair shops talk to repair techs most of them about 90% know what they are talking about and will go out of theur way to help you find that pc/laptop/desktop/workstation that fits you

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2021, 13:05:31 »
I got an Asus TUF laptop. It’s their second tier gaming laptop, below the ROG level. Only real issue is the one I got has 4G RAM, I’ll probably have to upgrade here soon to 8 or 16. Otherwise it’s solid, and even with low RAM it runs Btech, MWO, and other things just fine. For reference I get about 70-80 frames on MWO on middling graphics settings.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2021, 10:00:04 »
Ok, thanks everyone, this has been really helpful, I think I may look into building a PC as I have a budget of sub £500 (not sure what that is in $ :D ). Thanks again!

The main difficulty with fully building on your own right now is a drastic scarcity of video cards. Even older models seem to have been bought out by the scalpers and so it'll take some persistence to get a card for a reasonable cost.

When I was trying to get a new one I had alerts setup for weeks for all the major retailers receiving new stock. By the time I'd go look, literally within 1-2 minutes sometimes, they'd already be sold out again. I eventually found a card at a small regional chain but it's rough right now.

Edit: Wanted to clarify, I was looking almost a year ago and thought it was due to the holidays and some big titles coming out but the problem does not seem to have improved at all since then.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2021, 10:05:38 by Jayof9s »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2021, 12:05:32 »
The main difficulty with fully building on your own right now is a drastic scarcity of video cards. Even older models seem to have been bought out by the scalpers and so it'll take some persistence to get a card for a reasonable cost.

When I was trying to get a new one I had alerts setup for weeks for all the major retailers receiving new stock. By the time I'd go look, literally within 1-2 minutes sometimes, they'd already be sold out again. I eventually found a card at a small regional chain but it's rough right now.

Edit: Wanted to clarify, I was looking almost a year ago and thought it was due to the holidays and some big titles coming out but the problem does not seem to have improved at all since then.
well older nvidia cards are scare more than most....ine word why...cryptomining

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2021, 12:31:16 »
Luckily this will end soon

Without going into rule 4 territory,  China is cracking down on the miners

Lots of cards will be getting sold off soon
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2021, 12:38:40 »
well older nvidia cards are scare more than most....ine word why...cryptomining

I was looking for brand new actually, eventually picked up a 3070. But it wasn't just nvidia because I would have happily settled for an amd as well and there were also 0 available for retail.

The shortage of new cards is how I learned that even older cards were just as scarce. Unless it's changed in the last few months, you're mostly going to see several year old cards selling for over retail price of a brand new one. And then brand new ones are being scalped and sold for 2-3x their retail price.

There's been issues with supply for years but I think it got worse due to the recent chip shortages that are also affecting new car availability.

To be clear, if you're buying a computer you'll be able to get a card no problem as part of the computer - the manufacturers have them. It's just an issue if you're trying to buy parts like in the old days. More just a warning than anything that you should be prepared to waste a lot of time looking for a card for a reasonable price, especially if sticking to a strict budget.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2021, 12:46:01 by Jayof9s »

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2021, 09:44:58 »
I just hope that someday we may get a console release. Tried to get the game to play in my laptop and while it runs, it is slow due to my limitations, and as a parent in a pandemic world, let's just say that expenses are at a minimal. So i am getting my Tech fix with MW5 until then, but i have been hearing good things about this game. Hopefully i can get to experience it as well in time.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2021, 10:09:40 »
i hear ya,
we got ours because my desktop died and a covid relief check
covered the laptop
keep your eyes peeled, mine was only $650 at best buy, several game rigs in that category for similar amounts
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker