Register Register

Author Topic: Flechs Sheets (Digital Record Sheets)  (Read 55251 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Flechs Sheets (Digital Record Sheets)
« Reply #330 on: 03 December 2021, 04:16:44 »
I'll mention it the next time we play.. thanks!  :thumbsup:

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #331 on: 03 December 2021, 09:12:13 »
Whoa this sounds like a bug if I follow — You're saying that, when prompted about a piloting check, user selected 'passed' and then the system treated it as a fail and resolved a fall? Apologies if I misunderstand you or apologies if I do understand and that's a bug.

Undoing a whole fall resolution does make sense as a valuable area to handle as a single undoable item regardless as it involves lots of marking in lots of places, and if players realize that a table mistake was made (or just want to nullify the fall for other reasons) it'd be nice to clear all the relevant marks in one go.

yeah was my son on a Tablet...I'll take a look and see if the game record is still there and look at the logs.

Hmm...table was shut off and reloading only gave my the last two turns, so I could not check the logs to see what was done.

BUT...this does bring to mind an occurrance from when he did take an 'actual fall'. When during the games we actually fail a PSR and fall we tend to just let the app handle the falls for speed, but this has led to a realization. As far as I can tell FLECHS SHEETS uses a roll of double-1's to be handled as a standard through armor critical, and we use the floating crit rules. Is there a way to implement the floating crit rules into FLECHS, or is there and I am just missing it.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2021, 09:24:14 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #332 on: 03 December 2021, 09:58:46 »
yeah was my son on a Tablet...I'll take a look and see if the game record is still there and look at the logs.

Hmm...table was shut off and reloading only gave my the last two turns, so I could not check the logs to see what was done.

BUT...this does bring to mind an occurrance from when he did take an 'actual fall'. When during the games we actually fail a PSR and fall we tend to just let the app handle the falls for speed, but this has led to a realization. As far as I can tell FLECHS SHEETS uses a roll of double-1's to be handled as a standard through armor critical, and we use the floating crit rules. Is there a way to implement the floating crit rules into FLECHS, or is there and I am just missing it.

Thanks for checking!

FWIW, the log is always abridged to the previous two turns.

Afraid there is no explicit support / setting for floating crits as they are optional rules, and as such are also not in scope. The current work-around is to select no crits (a roll of 7 or less) when resolving the check, then once the attack is resolved, resolve and apply the floater manually.

In _most_ cases this works fine with just a little procedural overhead but there are two edge case I know of where it gets weird.

1. If using 'apply all incoming damage' and the late-applied floater can't be applied until after all the damage has landed, and the floater ends up landing on a location that was destroyed during all those attacks, it'll be up to the players to remember whether that location was destroyed at the time the crit actually occurred, but the log can be consulted to confirm when the crit occurred with respect to the destroyed location(s).

2.  If using 'apply all incoming damage' and if the late-applied floater ends up hits something explosive, destroys locations but leaves the unit alive, such a crit could have changed where subsequent attack damage landed. This is a rare but kinda gross situation. If players want to be accurate, they'll need to check the log to see what damage would have been applied after the crit, see if that stuff would have landed elsewhere, and then make manual adjustments.

In this last case with the explosion, it _might_ be the case though that just treating the explosion as a delayed explosion feels fine play-wise — it'd be a little like that trope where a tank/ship/robot get pinged with a single shot, there's a beat for comedic effect, and then it explodes. 🤔
« Last Edit: 03 December 2021, 10:02:54 by Bison AIs »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #333 on: 03 December 2021, 10:14:31 »
No worries...I'll just have to note to the players no floating-crit support, and I guess just go with rolling normally.

Of Note:

Our group does not use the networked aspect of the sheet.

I.E. in a turn we use the sheet as follows:

MOVEMENT - Track the movement for Heat/Attacker modifier as needed

COMBAT - Track the Weapon fired/Attack roll (roll dice ourselves for the 'fun factor'), manually apply damage, manually apply crits, etc, Pilot Checks, Consciousness Checks, etc.

For a Fall, again, manually roll dice, and in the case of a fall we were letting the app then roll the damage.

So, that is how OUR group uses the app, not as a replacement to game play but an enhancement. And of course, that then colours how we look to apply roles.

BUT....You comment on apply all incoming damage, would that not need to be applies as initiative order? I.E. under the standard rules of the game if SIDE A's Locust (for example) attacks AFTER SIDE A's Griffin, and SIDE A's Griffin just did enough damage to remove the target mech's Left Arm, the locust could not damage, nor Floating Crit the left arm.

Not sure internally how damage is applied via your app.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #334 on: 04 December 2021, 10:10:19 »
For a Fall, again, manually roll dice, and in the case of a fall we were letting the app then roll the damage.

Thanks for the elaboration!

I think I understand now that, because your group is marking all incoming damage manually, the challenge for your group with floating crits is specifically tied to outgoing fire. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Also, I'm afraid I'm still a little confused about the earlier request about undo for falls:

Biggest thing is a Mech takes 20+ damage requiring  pilot check. The player manually roles to pass the check - succeeds - and clicks the pass button but the equipment treats as a fall and deals damage accordingly.

Can you confirm that you're trying to describe a bug? That a player touched the "pass" piloting check button but then Flechs treated it as if they touched "fail" and so it would be useful to have an undo because the system did something wrong? 

You comment on apply all incoming damage, would that not need to be applies as initiative order? I.E. under the standard rules of the game if SIDE A's Locust (for example) attacks AFTER SIDE A's Griffin, and SIDE A's Griffin just did enough damage to remove the target mech's Left Arm, the locust could not damage, nor Floating Crit the left arm.

Not sure internally how damage is applied via your app.

If your group isn't using the network attack features I'd just ignore what I said. 😎

Totally willing to elaborate, but a more clear answer to your question might be found in just poking around at the feature a bit to see how it handles things opposed to a pile of words from me. If you are familiar with it and I've misunderstood you and you're perhaps asking a more under the hood question, just let me know!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #335 on: 04 December 2021, 10:46:54 »
Nope basically, we do not use any of the rolls from within the apps. No To Hit rolls, No MASC Rolls, no Pilot consciousness roles, nor damage or critical hit rolls....UNLESS it is from a fall as it just has a tendency to speed up the game.

And based on what you said, the 'floating crit' aspect may be something to just take into account and start doing our rolls for everything manually.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #336 on: 13 December 2021, 14:38:56 »
⚠️ Chrome v96 may have introduced a bug resulting in text on sheets shrinking to tiny sizes after various zoom gestures. It doesn't seem to effect Apple devices. (It happens in Chrome on Mac too it seems.) The issue seems absent in Chrome Beta (v97), Chrome Dev (v98), an earlier version of Chrome (v95) (best I can tell), and Firefox (v95). I'm looking into it further to see if there's not something I can do on my side to address it. Until then, you might try using FS via 🔔  Chrome Beta (v97) (downloadable from the play store) or FF. Note that in either case FS can be 'installed' / 'added to the home screen' from the browser and then launched full screen like normal.

If you spot issues outside of Chrome 96 please LMK.

Apologies for any game interruptions!
« Last Edit: 13 December 2021, 16:31:08 by Bison AIs »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #337 on: 13 December 2021, 14:54:48 »
Played this weekend...found another...issue maybe?

Ammo-Explosions automatically eject the pilot, but my players choose to disable the Auto-Eject aspect. Can this be turned off, and if so, is it one of the following options?

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #338 on: 13 December 2021, 16:30:13 »
Played this weekend...found another...issue maybe?

Ammo-Explosions automatically eject the pilot, but my players choose to disable the Auto-Eject aspect. Can this be turned off, and if so, is it one of the following options?

Are you asking if it is _possible_ to disable auto-eject or saying that they _did_ disable auto eject but were still ejected? 

If the former, 'disable auto eject' is in the pilot dropdown. (see attached)
If the latter, that's weird and probably a bug!

Also, in the event a player is ejected but had _wanted_ auto-eject off, the ejection status can be dismissed by touching it and selecting dismiss.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2021, 16:32:21 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #339 on: 13 December 2021, 16:31:50 »
Bug Update: The Chrome v96 text-size bug also occurs on Mac. 😞

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #340 on: 13 December 2021, 16:53:57 »
Was a question about disabling. Was not aware there

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #341 on: 13 December 2021, 22:13:59 »
🔔  I'm delisting Flechs Sheets from Google Play until Chrome 97 has wide rollout or I can find a way to work around the issue. If you see someone asking about where it went, feel free to direct them to sheets.flechs.net, where it'll continue to be available, albeit with a note directing Chrome users to alternate browsers for now.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2022, 20:15:58 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #342 on: 15 December 2021, 11:30:09 »
Main & Preview >>> 7.1.13

Fixed: Prints from FireFox (desktop) should not be blurry / low res.
Fixed: Double-tapping print button in Firefox on iPad/iOS should not zoom site.
Added: Instructions for how to print from FireFox iOS are displayed if user taps print while in FireFox on iOS. (But not on iPad because FF doesn't identify itself on iPad).

⚠️ Flech Sheet's print button does nothing in FireFox on iPad. It's possible to print but you must use the browser's print command buried in the browser's ••• menu.

It may be the case that there's a bug in recent versions of FF on mobile where JS-called print does nothing but does not throw an error or otherwise indicate it didn't work. And because FF on iPad does't identify itself, I can't provide a notice in-app with print instructions.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #343 on: 05 January 2022, 20:15:32 »
🔔 Chrome 97 was released for Android yesterday and will "become available on Google Play over the next few days."  https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/01/chrome-for-android-update.html

If you've been encountering text scaling problems with Flechs Sheets in Chrome 96 keep an eye out.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #344 on: 12 January 2022, 10:26:25 »
Main >>> 7.1.15

Added: On .mul import, if system can't find matching unit, will provide a list of options to select from.

Fixed: Issue loading links to stock units when sheet is Clan non-omni with IS nickname and sheet is using Clan name.
Fixed: Viper (Black Python) Standard should not be listed twice.
Fixed: Issue loading .mul files including Clan mechs with IS aliases.  xp
Fixed: Issue with url encoding in sitemap.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #345 on: 12 February 2022, 12:29:31 »
I am assuming we do NOT have support for QUADs as of yet?

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #346 on: 16 February 2022, 20:01:20 »
I am assuming we do NOT have support for QUADs as of yet?

There is no support for quads at sheets.flechs.net .

Regular re-write progress updates are posted on the ko-fi site for those interested in a details drip.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #347 on: 21 August 2022, 09:40:51 »
⚠️ I've confirmed a text sizing bug in Chrome 104 (and possibly earlier versions) that can appear when switching away and back to a sheet while a sheet is scaled. It's similar to a previous one from last year.

While I look into this, know that specific cases of the glitch can be forced-fixed to by changing device orientation (tablet/phone) or, if on desktop, changing the window size.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #348 on: 21 August 2022, 11:05:57 »
Nice find.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #349 on: 21 August 2022, 11:16:11 »
Preview >>> v7.1.35.b22-08-21-12-10-22

Preliminary fix for Chrome text-glitch issue; Will need to test this more before pushing to the main site.

https://flechs.net/sheets-preview

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #350 on: 21 August 2022, 11:28:53 »
Thank you!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #351 on: 23 August 2022, 21:17:00 »
Main >>> v7.1.35

🤞Fix: Text-size glitch introduced in Chrome 104. (Issue with svg text node rendering in shadow root when parent opacity and z-depth change...)

Please LMK if you continue to see the issue.

Dynodragon

• Private
« Reply #352 on: 24 August 2022, 05:05:59 »
Used Flechs sheets for my last couple of games and it's a massive help, thanks for doing this brilliant job.

Is there a way after finishing a game to reset the sheets without manually removing all the damage/adding ammo so you can reuse?

I had a mech take a second gyro hit, so the great big red DESTROYED came up, this however prevented me from returning fire in the same weapons phase as it did not allow me to select weapons, surely damage shouldn't take effect until you press the next phase button. This got me thinking (danger Will Robinson) about ammo explosions, I not a rules expert but doesn't ammo explosion happen after you have fired for this phase so I'm not sure the sheet takes that into account.

Is there an option to disable the app dice rolling, calculating damage without disabling the hit calculator, my groups/events insist on rolling real dice for everything, so we just need it to calculate hit numbers, assign heat and ammo use.

Are vehicles/infantry in the targeting scope, beyond the horizon or not in this galaxy of future possibilities! :)

Once again, great job. We use 100% renewable electricity so I count this as saving the planet 1 Flech sheet at a time!

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #353 on: 24 August 2022, 20:14:27 »
Thanks for the kind words! 🙏

Is there a way after finishing a game to reset the sheets without manually removing all the damage/adding ammo so you can reuse?

Afraid not — the fastest route is to delete and pull a new sheet.

Is there an option to disable the app dice rolling, calculating damage without disabling the hit calculator, my groups/events insist on rolling real dice for everything, so we just need it to calculate hit numbers, assign heat and ammo use.

Yes-ish.

First, a sheet must support automations and automations must be enabled for the sheet to get the calc.

Second, the ••• menu contains granular automation options. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ-peQjWv3c&t=112s .) Make sure damage-resolution related items you want to roll for are set to "Ask", as in "Ask for input". Not every event is in those setting but most are.

That'll get you what you described with your words. Though I smell more nuance in what your group is doing...

Just in case it's news, note that players can always declare shots at generic targets to get the benefits of auto heat and ammo tracking and then resolve the damage outcomes of by traditional roll, call, and mark. This should allow you to roll everything at the cost of doing one set of chart lookups (hit location) and the defender having to mark damage groups manually (though with the benefit of auto damage transfer, crit-chance notice, flooding, etc.). 

I had a mech take a second gyro hit, so the great big red DESTROYED came up, this however prevented me from returning fire in the same weapons phase as it did not allow me to select weapons, surely damage shouldn't take effect until you press the next phase button. This got me thinking (danger Will Robinson) about ammo explosions, I not a rules expert but doesn't ammo explosion happen after you have fired for this phase so I'm not sure the sheet takes that into account.

Here are three things you may be missing:
1. The rules as written are that players are to resolve all attack to-hit checks before resolving any attack damage
2. Flechs Sheets does not require players to follow this strict sequence.
3. Moreover, Flechs Sheets accommodates/allows alternative 'folk' resolution sequencing as best it can (but its imperfect).

#1 is covered in the opening pages on weapon attack phase in most rulebooks if you want more details.

#2 is the case because it's literally not possible to enforce this sequence if Flechs is to work alongside paper sheets and also because alternative 'folk' attack resolution flows are very common and for good reasons. The later item is why there are no 'did all players resolve attack to-hit' pop-ups before applying damage like there are about incoming damage when leaving an attack phase.

Related to #3, you may have noticed that FS will allow you to declare and resolve a weapon attack even if that weapon was destroyed that phase. Plus it will not include modifiers (like a shoulder hit) from damage that same phase. This is technically not how the rules work but it is how players work. However, this fudging does hold true to cases of unit destruction or pilot incapacitation — and that's just the result of me prioritizing 'be clear about damage effects and their significance' over facilitating folk attack flows. 😬.

I can elaborate on the 'folk' flow phenomena if you'd like but it'll be a few words...

Lastly, you are correct that, generally speaking, attack damage induced ammo explosions should happen after attack to-hit resolution as they are part of damage resolution sub-step. Just as with other damage effects, know that when using Flechs Sheets that is what happens if players follow the rules strictly, i.e. they resolve attack to hit before damage. If they are not, then they will need to hand wave things similar to how they do with paper sheets.

Are vehicles/infantry in the targeting scope, beyond the horizon or not in this galaxy of future possibilities! :)

The project goals and road map is here: https://quire.io/w/Flechs-sheets?share=gdj6amde2e6wmufi94nxb913b78djt

Of note is the top level item: "Facilitate in-person on-the-table BattleTech gameplay, focused on novice-to-intermediate-level formats, i.e. 4v4 succession wars era biped mechs on standard terrain using rules from AGoAC boxed set or the BattleMech Manual."

That said, I am currently undertaking a re-write practically from the ground up, and it is just the case that Vehicles and standard Clan BattleArmor are in, but it will take such a long time that I'd humbly advise forgetting this sentence to avoid any disappointment. 
« Last Edit: 24 August 2022, 20:19:04 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #354 on: 28 August 2022, 13:04:29 »

I had a mech take a second gyro hit, so the great big red DESTROYED came up,

Er, point of clarification — a second Gyro hit should not destroy a mech to start with. If that happened that’s a very weird bug. Could you confirm?

Dynodragon

• Private
« Reply #355 on: 30 August 2022, 10:51:19 »
So I reloaded the sheet and it says “Grounded:4” and the sheet is tilted. It’s probably best to put it down to my bad memory as it was a few months ago.

Playing around with a new force I selected the Crossbow E and it came up with an alert that it had too many weapons, it has 16 AP Gauss Rifles, and automation was not available. Is this a bug or a limitation?
« Last Edit: 30 August 2022, 11:01:36 by Dynodragon »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #356 on: 30 August 2022, 19:29:58 »
So I reloaded the sheet and it says “Grounded:4” and the sheet is tilted. It’s probably best to put it down to my bad memory as it was a few months ago.

Playing around with a new force I selected the Crossbow E and it came up with an alert that it had too many weapons, it has 16 AP Gauss Rifles, and automation was not available. Is this a bug or a limitation?

Ah, thanks for double checking and clarifying!

There is indeed a weapons count limitation for automations. Sorry for the road block.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #357 on: 30 August 2022, 19:36:08 »
That sounds relatively easy to fix, yes? ???

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #358 on: 30 August 2022, 20:55:45 »
That sounds relatively easy to fix, yes? ???

The weapon count limitation? Nope.

Only so much space in inventory. The options to cope with that are neither great nor simple.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #359 on: 31 August 2022, 04:26:38 »
Bummer!  :-\

Register