Register Register

Author Topic: Flechs Sheets (Digital Record Sheets)  (Read 37956 times)

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
Re: Flechs Sheets (Digital Record Sheets)
« Reply #300 on: 01 September 2021, 18:00:04 »
Preview >>> 7.1.0

Added: Basic support for importing MegaMek .mul force files: Import bipeds + pilot skills/name. 

I don't have a good way to test this, so it'd be nice if people threw forces at it and let me know if Flechs fails to find a unit it should've been able to find.

Do we need MekHQ for those .mul files or just MegaMek?

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #301 on: 02 September 2021, 07:24:55 »
Do we need MekHQ for those .mul files or just MegaMek?

Just MegaMek.
Start a new game, make your force in the lobby, hit "save unit list", out comes a .mul

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #302 on: 02 September 2021, 10:21:13 »
Just MegaMek.
Start a new game, make your force in the lobby, hit "save unit list", out comes a .mul

Cool, thanks! I'll try and give it a whirl this weekend.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #303 on: 15 September 2021, 15:55:56 »
Main >>> 7.1

Basic .mul import is now live. Only change from preview is that if a pilot has a nickname the nickname will be used in place of their name.

😎

Caravan

• Recruit
« Reply #304 on: 29 October 2021, 02:29:08 »
Hey,
First of all, thanks a lot for all the effort you invest in this!! I can't imagine playing BT without Flechs Sheets!

I have lately some issues however. I also encounter the "chrome stopped working" issue (on my android tablet). Reading this thread makes me believe that a future chrome update will fix this.

While investigating the issue, I deleted my "Flechs Sheets" app and tried to reinstall it. It seems that the original version I had (orange-ish icon, no address bar when launched) is gone and replaced by "Flechs Sheets Alpha" in the Google store (grey-ish icon, WITH address bar when launched). Since I believe the point of having the app was to maximize space and hence get rid of the address bar, I am wondering if this "change" is by design or if I am doing something wrong. Where can I get the "original" app back?
« Last Edit: 29 October 2021, 02:31:32 by Caravan »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #305 on: 09 November 2021, 13:23:08 »
Hey,
First of all, thanks a lot for all the effort you invest in this!! I can't imagine playing BT without Flechs Sheets!

I have lately some issues however. I also encounter the "chrome stopped working" issue (on my android tablet). Reading this thread makes me believe that a future chrome update will fix this.

While investigating the issue, I deleted my "Flechs Sheets" app and tried to reinstall it. It seems that the original version I had (orange-ish icon, no address bar when launched) is gone and replaced by "Flechs Sheets Alpha" in the Google store (grey-ish icon, WITH address bar when launched). Since I believe the point of having the app was to maximize space and hence get rid of the address bar, I am wondering if this "change" is by design or if I am doing something wrong. Where can I get the "original" app back?

Hi, apologies for the late reply — didn't seem to get a ping from the thread. FWIW, contacting me via the support page (linked to from Flechs Sheets) or discord is the fastest way to get a help.

The behavior you've encountered sounds pretty strange. The Google Play Store wrapper effectively just points to the site ( sheets.flechs.net ). There's no reason I know of that a new download should be different.

It should also be possible to install straight from the site when visiting it using Google Chrome -- there's an install button in Flechs Sheets on the ••• page, or you can do it from the browser. The result _should_ be identical to installing it via GP. (The GP listing is really only for visibility and a way to collect public reviews.)

Could you private message me with information about your device and OS, and a note about whether a from-the-site install provides expected results?

Thanks for speaking up about the issue!

« Last Edit: 09 November 2021, 13:24:44 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #306 on: 14 November 2021, 10:50:04 »
For anyone else following, I can confirm the site appears to be running normally on an Android test device at least (Samsun Tab A, Android 11, Chrome 95).

If anyone else is running into a problem, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #307 on: 14 November 2021, 10:56:01 »
Also, for anyone who gets their Flechs news here:
There's been a variety of small bug fixes in 7.1.1 through 7.1.8 plus some important stat corrections for plasma weapons.

Also, for anyone who's super into quirks, in preview, as of 7.1.9, you can click on the quirks list to display an unabridged list in a pop-over. Know though that this will be the extent of quirks-features and it will stay in preview.

Cheers!

Dr. Banzai

• Master Sergeant
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
    • Coming Soon!
« Reply #308 on: 26 November 2021, 10:27:31 »
Were you aware of this?

Battletech Tactical Companion

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with your product over theirs, to the point I'm throwing some money your way since their app is free to install, but with in-app purchases.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #309 on: 26 November 2021, 10:34:02 »
Were you aware of this?

Battletech Tactical Companion

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with your product over theirs, to the point I'm throwing some money your way since their app is free to install, but with in-app purchases.

Yes. (There's also a recent Android tablet release as of today.)

I'm happy Flechs Sheets has been useful for you. 🙏

PhoeniX0302

• Sergeant
« Reply #310 on: 30 November 2021, 16:25:08 »
We have been using Flechs Sheets for a while now, and right now the Tactical Companion app is not even close to being a serious contender. Even though Flechs cannot automate every equipment/mech, it is by far the more well conceptualized app. Its network feature alone is so helpful and makes me smile every time.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #311 on: 30 November 2021, 18:23:40 »
That's the kind of feedback TPTB need to hear...  8)

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #312 on: 01 December 2021, 11:20:55 »
...Its network feature alone is so helpful and makes me smile every time.

Happy it's helpful and enjoyable!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #313 on: 01 December 2021, 11:30:02 »
The only thing keeping FLECH SHEETS from being my 100% goto is the online requirement :(

*of course if I can use it offline and I'm just an idiot for not noticing....
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
« Reply #314 on: 01 December 2021, 11:57:20 »
The only thing keeping FLECH SHEETS from being my 100% goto is the online requirement :(

I remember seeing Bison state on one of the Discords that it is a PWA so long as you have them loaded up before you disconnect. So... it's mostly working offline.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #315 on: 01 December 2021, 12:19:19 »

Good news: It does run offline, though with limitations...

There'll be no access to the unit catalog or the network features (joining a match, sending shots across the network, remote viewing, etc.).

- but -

Exported Flechs sessions and .mtfs can still be imported/loaded, any open sheets will remain available, and session restore will work. If you have an account and forces saved within, those forces may be available offline if you opened them recently.

There are several ways to run Flechs offline:

• Once you've visited sheets.flechs.net at least once, you can just point your browser to that URL while offline. It'll be there, no joke, just magic.

• Using an iOS/iPad OS device? Install and use like a normal app: https://youtu.be/ED-W1sgIt7w

• Using Chrome? Install and use like a normal app using the 'Install' button on the ••• tab, the install button in the address bar in Chrome, or, if you're on an Android tablet, download from Google Play 

• Using Firefox (on tablet/mobile device)?  There _should_ be an install icon in the address bar.

« Last Edit: 01 December 2021, 12:21:09 by Bison AIs »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #316 on: 01 December 2021, 12:25:54 »
Cool...Thanx...I'll definitely check out then and try away from home - was the only stopping me using at Game Days as worried about Data Usage ;)

PhoeniX0302

• Sergeant
« Reply #317 on: 02 December 2021, 03:46:43 »
That's the kind of feedback TPTB need to hear...  8)

I am not sure as to why the TPTB actually went for their own development in the first place. If they really do have the money to support a companion app, why not give it to Bison and make it an official licensed product? I do know that there are legal issues like who owns the code yada yada, but Bison's app has so many points on its side:

- it is already in development (and far more advanced than whatever CGL comes up with)
- it literally works with all devices out of the box due to being browser based, so no one is excluded
- it uses a well know file format that is used by other 3rd party (fan) apps
- its usability is superior

So, instead of looking to capitalize on Bison's fantastic work, let's do something inferior....and we gotta charge people right from the beginning by offering a premium version....(TPTB thinking). They could have gone for something like this instead:

1. CGL and Bison agree on the continued development of FlechsSheets as the official companion app
2. A paid subscription model is added. For example, if you want to play with more than X mechs than you have to subscribe. Subscription is yearly
3. The new official app runs on CGL (AWS) servers and subscriptions are used to fund development and servers
4. Future plans include support for Alpha Strike cards (not sure how much autmation is needed, but digital marking of cards drawn from the MUL would be cool)

And that's just a few initial thought...

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #318 on: 02 December 2021, 11:28:40 »
Hey all, always appreciating the support, have a small personal favor to ask —

If possible, I think it'd be valuable to try and keep this thread focused on the artifact at hand (Flechs Sheets) rather than adjacent topics (however nearby) like CGL's decision making process / digital strategy / general digital-playing aid monetization strategies etc.

I know this can be a very fine line (e.g. design decisions I make around FS are necessarily relevant to BattleTech playing aids generally) and that it's totally reasonable and natural for casual conversation to wiggle a bit, so this is totally a personal request to keep things tighter than normal.

If you'd like, feel free to link to other threads that include relevant tangents or even ping me directly in other conversations if you really want information / perspectives from me. 

Cheers! 😎

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #319 on: 02 December 2021, 12:35:54 »
If possible, I think it'd be valuable to try and keep this thread focused on the artifact at hand (Flechs Sheets) rather than adjacent topics (however nearby) like CGL's decision making process / digital strategy / general digital-playing aid monetization strategies etc.

Recognized and given the official Mod imprimatur. Guys, let's keep discussion of relative merits of the CGL product out of the thread in part by OP request. Incidental comparisons like "hey, program x displays this thing this way, any chance Flechs can do something similar?" are fair game. That ok Bison?

I'll even give it the official blessing:

**MOD DIRECTIVE**

(we have to do this so other posters can see that it's all official and such)
« Last Edit: 02 December 2021, 12:37:45 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #320 on: 02 December 2021, 12:53:55 »
Only thing I know I would really...really like, and I know it probably not doable but myself and my players would love, love, love an UNDO button...of course most of them wanna use the app on their phones as opposed to a dedicated tablet, but...can't fix obstinate ;)

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #321 on: 02 December 2021, 14:20:07 »
Incidental comparisons like "hey, program x displays this thing this way, any chance Flechs can do something similar?" are fair game. That ok Bison?

Yea totally.

And this isn't my house so if people want to roll differently or feel something is important to bring up in the end it's cool and I totally understand — it's just a light request.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #322 on: 02 December 2021, 14:35:41 »
Only thing I know I would really...really like, and I know it probably not doable but myself and my players would love, love, love an UNDO button...of course most of them wanna use the app on their phones as opposed to a dedicated tablet, but...can't fix obstinate ;)

What would be really helpful on that front are details on specific situations regarding what exactly needs "undone" and why in those cases.

FWIW, some of the reasons global undo wasn't pursued as a core idiom involve high level design tradeoffs and complications due to the fact that game state is basically spread across users. The latter means that in some cases 'undoing' an action could create situations like someone else's sheet changing without them touching it (or even seeing it change). Not impossible problems to solve, just ones with overhead that's unique to each case.

Also, in my experience, the undo request most often (but not always) comes from newer users who aren't aware of things like that move mode and distance can be modified whenever they want, or that statuses like "ejected" and "shutdown" can be dismissed outright, which indicate opportunities on other fronts like tutorials and basic UI visuals — but I know those are not all the cases, hence why case-specific details would be valuable!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #323 on: 02 December 2021, 15:37:31 »
What would be really helpful on that front are details on specific situations regarding what exactly needs "undone" and why in those cases.

FWIW, some of the reasons global undo wasn't pursued as a core idiom involve high level design tradeoffs and complications due to the fact that game state is basically spread across users. The latter means that in some cases 'undoing' an action could create situations like someone else's sheet changing without them touching it (or even seeing it change). Not impossible problems to solve, just ones with overhead that's unique to each case.

Also, in my experience, the undo request most often (but not always) comes from newer users who aren't aware of things like that move mode and distance can be modified whenever they want, or that statuses like "ejected" and "shutdown" can be dismissed outright, which indicate opportunities on other fronts like tutorials and basic UI visuals — but I know those are not all the cases, hence why case-specific details would be valuable!

Biggest thing is a Mech takes 20+ damage requiring  pilot check. The player manually roles to pass the check - succeeds - and clicks the pass button but the equipment treats as a fall and deals damage accordingly.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #324 on: 02 December 2021, 17:11:22 »
Yea totally.

And this isn't my house so if people want to roll differently or feel something is important to bring up in the end it's cool and I totally understand — it's just a light request.

Boy wouldn't that be nice. We've been at this for quite a few years and have learned the hard way that gentle suggestions are like whispers in an elementary school cafeteria. Call-outs have to be sharp, short, loud, and have consequences to get the chatter to die down before flame-wars erupt. So it turns things like this into Policy (otherwise known as "why we can't have nice things").
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #325 on: 02 December 2021, 19:42:26 »
The one time I remember us needing an UNDO for was a mis-click that resulted in an ammo explosion.  Basically, the player absently clicked something, and the next thing he was looking at was "'mech destroyed".  Everyone was like, "WTF just happened??"

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
« Reply #326 on: 02 December 2021, 23:50:12 »
The one time I remember us needing an UNDO for was a mis-click that resulted in an ammo explosion.  Basically, the player absently clicked something, and the next thing he was looking at was "'mech destroyed".  Everyone was like, "WTF just happened??"

With how Flechs is setup, I can only guess at a solution that I'm sure Bison has already thought of. Separate into turns/phases and allow for a "undo this turn/phase" which would make the code quite a bit more complicated I'd imagine.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #327 on: 03 December 2021, 00:07:47 »
Biggest thing is a Mech takes 20+ damage requiring  pilot check. The player manually roles to pass the check - succeeds - and clicks the pass button but the equipment treats as a fall and deals damage accordingly.

Whoa this sounds like a bug if I follow — You're saying that, when prompted about a piloting check, user selected 'passed' and then the system treated it as a fail and resolved a fall? Apologies if I misunderstand you or apologies if I do understand and that's a bug.

Undoing a whole fall resolution does make sense as a valuable area to handle as a single undoable item regardless as it involves lots of marking in lots of places, and if players realize that a table mistake was made (or just want to nullify the fall for other reasons) it'd be nice to clear all the relevant marks in one go.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2021, 00:18:18 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #328 on: 03 December 2021, 00:15:58 »

Yea, ammo explosions are indeed another item where one event cascades into lots of marks that are a pain to individually remove. Worse, because it triggers so many cascading events it also highlights the un-interruptible nature of the event resolution system. It's one thing to make a mistake and have to erase some things, but another to have to go through all the motions first. At minimum it'd be useful to be able to bail out event resolution early. Appreciate you mentioning it.

But good news though!

Experimental undo for ammo explosions sneaked into a release a while back! (Apparently v5.5.0...)

If you touch the explosion flag you can select 'undo' from the dropdown to reset the sheet to before the explosion. Unfortunately this only covers one explosion, so if one triggered another only the bin with the flag attached to will be undo-able. Also, maybe not _super_ well tested to be honest... 
« Last Edit: 03 December 2021, 10:06:49 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #329 on: 03 December 2021, 00:22:05 »
Boy wouldn't that be nice. We've been at this for quite a few years and have learned the hard way that gentle suggestions are like whispers in an elementary school cafeteria. Call-outs have to be sharp, short, loud, and have consequences to get the chatter to die down before flame-wars erupt. So it turns things like this into Policy (otherwise known as "why we can't have nice things").

Makes sense. 👍

Register