Register Register

Author Topic: MWO - Leader of the Pack Free Timber Wolf  (Read 389 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
MWO - Leader of the Pack Free Timber Wolf
« on: 08 May 2021, 09:54:29 »

Complete Challenges to Unlock the Timber Wolf TBR-C (C)

Leader of the Pack Free Mech Event

This Champion 'Mech comes with the +30% XP bonus. On top of the 'Mech you can earn three free colours and cool decals.

I made this picture for you, so you can see that the 'Mech is pretty sweet. Do not waste the time, the challenge is easy.   ;)

« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 09:57:55 by martian »

Frabby

• Major
Re: MWO - Leader of the Pack Free Timber Wolf
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2021, 09:51:24 »
MWO seems to be down right now. Got a 404 on the event page and an error code 63 when trying to log in. But it seems I made some headway into the event yesterday already (without even realizing the event was on).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2021, 11:30:13 »
MWO seems to be down right now. Got a 404 on the event page and an error code 63 when trying to log in. But it seems I made some headway into the event yesterday already (without even realizing the event was on).
Yeah, "internal server error".

But this is no big deal, the event ends in 30 days.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2021, 11:03:13 »
One day left to complete this Timber Wolf challenge.

Akamia

• Master Sergeant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2021, 11:30:43 »
Replying here because it is irrelevant to the other topic:

Use SRMs or ATMs. You will be more useful for your team.
I honestly never liked SRMs very much in any extant BattleTech game I've played, including the MechWarrior series, and I don't know enough about ATMs in this game to feel confident using them, or if they're loaded on any trial 'Mechs. I find LRMs are reliable unless the OpFor is carrying some kind of AMS, but then, I'm pretty sure any and all of the guided missile systems in the game suffer in that case, if not all missiles full stop – I don't know what AMS are actually shooting at. Can I indirect fire ATMs in MWO? None of the ATM users I've seen while in spectator mode after getting taken out of a fight seemed able to do that...
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2021, 11:35:56 »
Replying here because it is irrelevant to the other topic:
I honestly never liked SRMs very much in any extant BattleTech game I've played, including the MechWarrior series, and I don't know enough about ATMs in this game to feel confident using them, or if they're loaded on any trial 'Mechs. I find LRMs are reliable unless the OpFor is carrying some kind of AMS, but then, I'm pretty sure any and all of the guided missile systems in the game suffer in that case, if not all missiles full stop – I don't know what AMS are actually shooting at. Can I indirect fire ATMs in MWO? None of the ATM users I've seen while in spectator mode after getting taken out of a fight seemed able to do that...

ATMs recently got a nerf. So they aren’t really good.

They can’t idf and with no ammo swapping their damage profile changes depending on range, and they have a minimum range instead of not having one like HE missiles. On the mwo forums there is a big post I read the other day about how bad of a state they are in.

Their longer range isn’t useful cause no idf. At shorter ranges you’d be better off with srms or lrms.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2021, 12:02:29 »
I honestly never liked SRMs very much in any extant BattleTech game I've played, including the MechWarrior series,
SRMs in MechWarrior Online are much better than in BattleTech.

and I don't know enough about ATMs in this game to feel confident using them,
So is not the right time to actually learn how to use them? One day you will have to begin.

or if they're loaded on any trial 'Mechs.
Currently no Trial 'Mech has them.

I find LRMs are reliable unless the OpFor is carrying some kind of AMS, but then, I'm pretty sure any and all of the guided missile systems in the game suffer in that case
Do not be so sure. The MWO gameplay is different and LRMs suffer more than other guided missiles against AMS.

Can I indirect fire ATMs in MWO? None of the ATM users I've seen while in spectator mode after getting taken out of a fight seemed able to do that...
They can not do a true effective indirect fire in the most situations, but you can lob them to get a sort of "indirect fire".

Akamia

• Master Sergeant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2021, 12:24:08 »
SRMs in MechWarrior Online are much better than in BattleTech.
Of that I’m sure, but they nonetheless do not gel with the way I like to play the game, even if I am otherwise primarily using direct fire weapons.
So is not the right time to actually learn how to use them? One day you will have to begin.
For as long as I am playing on a borrowed machine with effectively less than a day to fill the objective, I’d rather stick to the missiles I know. :P I’d even take SRMs over ATMs right now if I had to pick between just the two of them, but fortunately I do not.
Currently no Trial 'Mech has them.
A shame.
Do not be so sure. The MWO gameplay is different and LRMs suffer more than other guided missiles against AMS.
I know the gameplay is different, but it’s still MechWarrior at the core, and while LRMs suffer more against AMS, I’m finding AMS isn’t a consistent barrier in my quick play games. Your mileage may vary.
They can not do a true effective indirect fire in the most situations, but you can lob them to get a sort of "indirect fire".
Sounds like the MW2 LRM method. That’s, ah… not exactly selling me on them, to be honest with you.

I may experiment with them using some omnipods on my new Timber Wolf when I’m able to reliably play on my own PC – which can’t happen until it’s built – but until then, I think I’ll stick to LRMs for racking up my missile damage for this event…
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2021, 14:55:00 »
Of that I’m sure, but they nonetheless do not gel with the way I like to play the game, even if I am otherwise primarily using direct fire weapons.For as long as I am playing on a borrowed machine with effectively less than a day to fill the objective, I’d rather stick to the missiles I know.
Of course, under such circumstances it is reasonable to stick to weapons you know and own.

...  I’m finding AMS isn’t a consistent barrier in my quick play games.
One AMS is usually not enough. For some degree of protection you would need 2-3 of them. In some LRM-heavy games even four AMS are barely sufficient.