Register Register

Author Topic: MWO Question  (Read 562 times)

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
MWO Question
« on: 14 May 2022, 17:37:10 »
Looking for MWO players opinion on the current state of the game...

Played MWO for years, and end up in the "dont suck" tiers with enough "skills" to be accused of hax and recipient of rage like most others.

Used to play weekly until MW5 released on STEAM, purchase it and both DLCs, add mods...cool, fun for me and my friends!

Uninstalled MWO off M.2 drive.  Friends did same.

Crusader announced (only for MWO, seriously?).

Install MWO.  Aware there has been changes made by group whos name escapes me again (cauldron?) which sounds promising.

Play a few rounds and it appears to be nothing but energy vomit, min/max "muh clan tech" hide and snipe, jump and snipe, frustration or yawn-fest.

Out of 8 games yesterday I only saw two mechs with LRMs (on the enemy team) and apparently I was a fool to try RACs and MRMs on a few chassis (according to my lancemates). 

A year ago there seemed to be more variety in builds.  Several others on my teams were planning on uninstalling as MWO was no longer fun for them...lots of anger on the comms.

If MWO has become a game for min/max "leets" who use nothing but energy and maybe MGs on lights, is there even a place for the Crusader?

I was told to refund the Crusader if I planned on continuing to play MWO as there's no longer a place for missile based mechs in MWO due to the abundance of energy spam and ECM "skillz".

Thoughts?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Luciora

• Major
Re: MWO Question
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2022, 19:43:38 »
A toxic playerbase will always make me avoid playing a game, no matter how popular.  The sheer competitive nature of it also turns me away. 

In the end, if you don't really have anyone else interested in playing alongside you,  stick to MW5.  Meta gaming is boring, especially when enforced by jerks.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2022, 19:46:34 »
I've enjoyed MWO quite a bit, but having to repair my installation every patch is getting tiring.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Woody

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2022, 20:38:08 »
Overall I still think its fun.
Current event has an award for AMS, but not missiles, so I've noticed fewer missiles period this event.
It seems like lately with the combined queues the frequency of mismatched teams has increased. Leading to more lopsided games depending.   
I am generally playing IS, and depending on chassis, I'd say all weapons are still viable.  Not necessarily on every chassis.

I also play some other F2P games, like war thunder, and World of war ships, and would say overall my fun in a game is much greater in MWO overall... of course, I like mechs.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2022, 09:02:55 »
I fear your Elo is still too high; You have to suffer your way down to Four or less to get any protection the Masters of Meta. :(
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2022, 19:47:36 »
Like always it varies depending on time of day for how sweaty and meta heavy the queues are. Population declining again means that gaps between tiers are shortening as game struggles to gather 12 people together and again well known issue with the matchmaker and lack of team balance.

That said new maps have heighted the situation, the latest being a sniper fest.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2022, 16:32:48 »
I was told to refund the Crusader if I planned on continuing to play MWO as there's no longer a place for missile based mechs in MWO due to the abundance of energy spam and ECM "skillz".
LRMs remain very playable with a change in playstyle.
  • Continuously close in on the enemy while using missiles for suppression. Don't expect to get damage out of this suppression. Obviously use cover to move your way forward, primarily seeking to obstruct fire from heightened positions with cover.
  • Carry "stabby" secondaries. Something like quad MPL, a pair of LPPC or 2 SRM6 work well for me. Generally try to hover in the 200-300m region where you can apply both missiles and secondaries. Blast away primarily with missiles, occasionally taking "stabs" once you see open components.
  • For LRMs generally choose 20s if possible. This lowers the percentage you lose to AMS significantly. Against AMS always Alpha. Get used to carrying coolshots on missile mechs.
  • Ignore your own team, they're just gonna hang back one to two grid squares behind you being scared of the blue skills beams.
You can easily test builds for such on a similar size to the Crusader using e.g. WHM-7S (an absolute beast at it due to its velocity quirk) or - clan side - a Sun Spider.

The Crusader chassis by their published hardpoint layouts will lend themselves to this playstyle quite easily.

Edit, P.S.: If the ECM (and radar dep) abundance gets any worse i'm just switching to PPCs for secondaries due to their ECM cancellation effect. Already got an alt account testing this for a couple weeks now, works sufficiently fine.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2022, 16:44:25 by kato »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2022, 16:41:50 »
Population declining again means that gaps between tiers are shortening as game struggles to gather 12 people together and again well known issue with the matchmaker and lack of team balance.
The population is for the most part back to the numbers it was at before mid 2019. That's why they they can give us event queue now with the next patch in the first place, there's sufficient population to split the playerbase.

Also, Emerald Vale isn't a sniper map. At all. There's an abundance of vertically sufficient cover all over the map.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2022, 00:08:13 »
I mainly play missile boat,love my Mad Dog.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2022, 17:51:29 »
Also, Emerald Vale isn't a sniper map. At all. There's an abundance of vertically sufficient cover all over the map.

This is true. I have the most success with mid-range brawlers on Emerald Vale.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?