Register Register

Author Topic: New Battletech Software Discussion Thread  (Read 21956 times)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
Re: New Battletech Software Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: 01 May 2021, 19:55:34 »
I think that problem can likely be avoided by not including any visualization, especially considering that it may involve simulating 10000 matches in a reasonable amount of time visualization would just be a waste of processing power.

I'm sorry I still see that as a horrible waste of time and well beyond the scope of a designer, even if it is able to introduce new weapons and equipment.

Plus while I do not know for sure I would not be surprised that would still be enough to push the scope of the project beyond what CGL has legal rights to.  After all tons of games run non-visual combat scenarios in the background and give reports back about the results.

If that is not enough it is already possible to mathematically calculate the BV, possibly BV2, of an ER Large Laser Mk2 or an AC-2 as it always should have been.  If a BV3 comes around, which I think is inevitable, I imagine it'd be easy enough to create a very simple mathematical formula to generate the BV3 of a new piece of equipment.

If there are special case rules, well like I said AIs and computers are not actually very good at determining if they are balanced or using them to their full extent like a person can which further reduces the value of what you're asking for.

TL;DR version: It's just not worth the effort IMO.

And really I think we've de-railed the thread enough with this debate.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
« Reply #151 on: 01 May 2021, 21:46:45 »
Are we talking about a game or Mech building software? Because CGL does not have license for games

Not a game. Game aid. Unit Builder.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #152 on: 01 May 2021, 21:48:56 »
At what point does automated testing cross that line?

I'm going to nip this in the but right now. I'm NOT looking for automation testing of custom unit. Only looking for canon content only. Although allowing custom weapons wouldn't be that difficult for this software, it would purely be for personal use.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #153 on: 01 May 2021, 22:27:09 »
I'm going to nip this in the but right now. I'm NOT looking for automation testing of custom unit. Only looking for canon content only. Although allowing custom weapons wouldn't be that difficult for this software, it would purely be for personal use.

Which I am in absolute support of.

Hell I'm already of a mind that as much as I would adore the ability to add new weapons and equipment I recognize it is already such a 'nice to have' feature that when I think about how MegaMek is already the primary way that I play Battletech anymore and how it would take that team doing some not insubstantial coding to parse said new equipment that I may have to accept the reality that I may not get it at all and if I am wrong about that it is absolutely a feature that can wait and I fully understand would not be a priority.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #154 on: 02 May 2021, 07:26:01 »
Hell I'm already of a mind that as much as I would adore the ability to add new weapons and equipment I recognize it is already such a 'nice to have' feature that when I think about how MegaMek is already the primary way that I play Battletech anymore and how it would take that team doing some not insubstantial coding to parse said new equipment that I may have to accept the reality that I may not get it at all and if I am wrong about that it is absolutely a feature that can wait and I fully understand would not be a priority.

That's the main reason it's a 2.0 "nice to have" feature. Will probably either allow for custom weapons for SSW export and disable for MM or just not have it until (if?) MegaMek ever supports it which would be a MASSIVE undertaking with little real benefit for the project.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #155 on: 03 May 2021, 13:01:50 »
Doesn't the Mech Factory app for android do that?  I've not used it since i have tiny phone, but i've seen it used. I thought you could test your designs using a feature on it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #156 on: 03 May 2021, 13:22:11 »
I think so. I thought it was clunky when I tested it, but this might be my troglodyte computer abilities speaking. Still, it does just that.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 03 May 2021, 14:15:45 »
Doesn't the Mech Factory app for android do that?  I've not used it since i have tiny phone, but i've seen it used. I thought you could test your designs using a feature on it.

No idea. My understanding is it's operating without permission from CGL (and profiting from it) thus I avoid the app and site.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #158 on: 04 May 2021, 06:27:03 »
I'm fine with there being no official BattleTech software from CGL as long as support continues for the current lineup of MegaMek software.  I feel that open source projects like MegaMek are important for program longevity and updates.  With the number of BattleTech and MechWarrior fans around, I don't think it would be too hard to find additional developers who are willing to contribute to the project and keep it moving and up-to-date with the latest BattleTech literature.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: 04 May 2021, 08:00:27 »
I'm fine with there being no official BattleTech software from CGL as long as support continues for the current lineup of MegaMek software.  I feel that open source projects like MegaMek are important for program longevity and updates.  With the number of BattleTech and MechWarrior fans around, I don't think it would be too hard to find additional developers who are willing to contribute to the project and keep it moving and up-to-date with the latest BattleTech literature.

No reason both can't live side by side. I help the MM team on various things and have some work planned for the 0.49.x series as well. I'm just wanting to hit an area for those that don't want to install Java. I'd prefer it be official however as there would be ongoing costs and can be used as an additional funding source for CGL for further projects.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #160 on: 04 May 2021, 16:17:23 »
SSW is Java based, and I'll happily install it if that's the price for that UI.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #161 on: 04 May 2021, 17:39:16 »
And that's fine. It's a good program. Not everyone wants to install Java however and not all systems will support or allow it. Some want native, others want web based. Some what 100% offline, others want full online WITH offline support.

StCptMara

• Major
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #162 on: 04 November 2021, 02:52:01 »
So...is there any idea when we will see a version available for testing by psychos like me, who will try to build mechs and tanks that break the program(which is why I like SSW..it has proven difficult to break.)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #163 on: 04 November 2021, 06:59:29 »
So...is there any idea when we will see a version available for testing by psychos like me, who will try to build mechs and tanks that break the program(which is why I like SSW..it has proven difficult to break.)

No idea at this time. The project grew into a massive beast with multiple programs spanning all the ways to use and play BattleTech. Currently in talks with Microsoft about a license. I do have all of this in my GitLab instance so I don't lose it.

Register