Register Register

Author Topic: Old Computer Games  (Read 343 times)

pserrat

• Sergeant
Old Computer Games
« on: 25 April 2021, 14:39:00 »
I've been thinking for a time on doing a MSX2 Spectrum, Dragon or CoCo2/3 game of battletech. I want it to do freeware, but would not like to have issues with IP infrigment or similar.
Can I create the game? What should I put as a caveat, something like Battletech is Copyrighted to Topps?

Middcore

• Warrant Officer
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
Re: Old Computer Games
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2021, 16:05:46 »
I believe it's actually Microsoft who owns the BattleTech IP for video games (they just licensed it to PGI and HBS for the recent games), not Topps.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2021, 16:10:20 »
I believe it's actually Microsoft who owns the BattleTech IP for video games (they just licensed it to PGI and HBS for the recent games), not Topps.
You are correct, Sir.  When FASA broke up, they sold FASA Interactive (later FASA Studio & Virtual World Entertainment Group) to Microsoft in 1999. They license out Ip.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rjhancock

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2021, 16:32:21 »
As I've looked into it previously, this might be of interest https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules