Register Register

Author Topic: The Fate of MWO  (Read 20978 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: The Fate of MWO
« Reply #150 on: 25 August 2021, 15:33:56 »
The change into Solaris VII was the first rebrand, wasn't it?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: 25 August 2021, 16:34:44 »
Yes.  Core game will be the same, they are just giving up on Solaris.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #152 on: 28 August 2021, 16:58:34 »
I've had a real love/hate relationship with MWO of late.  I was an early Founder and then let it fall of the radar for a couple years and recently returned (same time I came back to these boards) when the Btech Bug bit hard.

I've been a Clanner at heart since the early days so I do like the selection, I LOVE the mechlab, camospecs, etc.  I spend probably 95% of my time messing with my mechs to get them to what I want.

Then I take them into match and get perforated pretty much instantly  ;D  Even back in NBT with MW4:Mercs and it's successors (HardCore, MekTek, etc) I was never super-skilled in online play.  I like the story, and the RPG aspects of those leagues are what kept me going.  I sadly don't have the innate skill or the free time to develop those skills for MWO to be a competitive pilot.

But, those Clan mechs keep me coming back.  MW5 is fun but not my favorite time period. TBH if it were a Clan Invasion-era game, or even FedCom Civil War era, you couldn't pry me away from my computer...though I expect game-wise those eras are being actively avoided as having been done to death.

Personally I'd love a FedCom Civil War era-game in the same vein as MWO and MW5...instead of being forced into the "Good Guy Davion" role as most games have done, have the freedom to pick any side, participate in major battles (Including things like Operation Audacity) and the like....

Ahh, to dream...

I am pretty sure there are mods for clan mechs for MW5.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: 28 August 2021, 17:47:43 »
Killing Solaris VII is the right move--it was a hated mode and no one played it.
Funnily yesterday i instantly got a solaris match within 30 seconds of clicking on the tab for the game mode.

Some of us used to play regularly, as in several hours per week up till half a year ago.

Very good work by the Cauldron and Daeron Katz (If that is who is behind the changes indeed).
The goulash group has nothing to do with business decisions by PGI (this includes development direction or hiring practices), or with any development beyond simple XML file changes that change a couple values on the hardcoded base.

Business-wise, allowing the Gulag/Cauldron to impress their idea of weapons balance onto the game was a quick-win concept to keep playerbase numbers up during the ramp-up on the development side, tiding them over until at least new maps could be brought in, and - after having been unsuccessful in getting staff to do that inhouse - currently starting to phase over into real new development by that Brazilian company they found that still professionally codes in CryEngine 3.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #154 on: 29 August 2021, 11:33:10 »
I am pretty sure there are mods for clan mechs for MW5.

Which mod? I took a quick look at the workshop and didn't see anything.

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #155 on: 29 August 2021, 12:23:34 »
Which mod? I took a quick look at the workshop and didn't see anything.

I'd definitely like to know as well!

What I'd love to see (but won't, not sure there's enough of an audience) is a MW4/MW5 type campaign but from the Clan's side again.   Maybe the initial invasion from the Clan's POV.

I'll admit it, I've been a Clanner since 1995 and I miss seeing them in a primary role in a computer game as anything other than the enemy.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #156 on: 29 August 2021, 13:44:00 »
PirateTech has clan equipment and it looks like it might also have clan mechs.

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 03 September 2021, 07:46:46 »
I tried to get back in MWO this week, but I spent more time waiting for games than actual gametime(yeah, I died quick after a 3 years hiatus.)  But the whole session was frustrating because of the waiting time.  I waited between 6 and 18(!!) minutes for 4 games within an hour in the evening Eastern time(which is usually a busy time for online games).  I don't think I'll go back, there is no fun in waiting.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2021, 08:03:05 by kinwolf »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: 03 September 2021, 08:19:38 »
But the whole session was frustrating because of the waiting time.  I waited between 6 and 18(!!) minutes for 4 games within an hour in the evening Eastern time(which is usually a busy time for online games).
In quickplay? I generally get wait times between 30 and 60 seconds wait time on NA/EU servers when dropping in mid-tier accounts before map/mode selection, at most it approaches twice that for Tier 1 accounts or when dropping in groups. For me it's reasonably within the same matchmaking time as other current online PVP games with similar player numbers per match that i play, and was also the main target number for the Tier changes for MWO last year.

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: 03 September 2021, 09:17:41 »
I tried to get back in MWO this week, but I spent more time waiting for games than actual gametime(yeah, I died quick after a 3 years hiatus.)  But the whole session was frustrating because of the waiting time.  I waited between 6 and 18(!!) minutes for 4 games within an hour in the evening Eastern time(which is usually a busy time for online games).  I don't think I'll go back, there is no fun in waiting.

Quickplay shouldn't be anywhere near that - longest I've waited was about two minutes, but it's usually closer to 30 seconds (and that's with my Kodiak!)

Faction Play has the longest wait times - I enjoy them and I like earning rank and such, but they ARE a longer wait - for me usually 10-15 minutes/match.  So I don't do those as often.

I don't do true comp play at all so I can't speak to those times...

kato

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 03 September 2021, 13:28:30 »
Faction Play has the longest wait times
Nah, Solaris does. Until PGI shuts it off. Especially now that they've basically announced that.

I don't do true comp play at all so I can't speak to those times...
In comp queue in comparison to quickplay about 1% as many matches are played concurrently (average one per hour on play days compared to a hundred). Your wait time may accordingly be several hours unless you communicate to organize other groups to queue against. Which you'd usually do, at least in the sense of telling others your group will usually be in queue on Thursday after 8 pm or similar (not in the sense of win-trading or other banned practices). There are limited prime-time periods during the early weeks on which you have better chances of randomly meeting another team.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #161 on: 03 September 2021, 18:17:48 »
Tournament Supporter Pack is live!

https://mwomercs.com/store/tournament

Even if your like me and don't care about comp, cheap price for some nice goodies and assistance in C-Bill/XP grinding til Feb next year.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #162 on: 03 September 2021, 18:18:45 »
So what made Solaris so unpopular?  Poor balance?  Poor implementation?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #163 on: 03 September 2021, 18:39:02 »
Implementation, design and lack of recognition of what the player base says it wants and what it actually wants in practice. Solaris also shows the disconnect between more table-top influenced and video game player bases.

Many MWO players expected when PGI was developing Solaris would be like MW2 and MW4 in a Grand Melee style free for all, something that is arguably more watchable than smaller 1v1 matches, but not possible either due to PGI limitations or engine limitations.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: 03 September 2021, 19:51:16 »
I've played MWO regularly since early 2018 - i.e. just after the rebranding - and during that time the Solaris game mode was never really well-populated, with complaints about dead queues already coming up within a month of its launch. And back then MWO had twice as many players as it does now.

The engine limitation is that supposedly the base code does not allow for differentiation of a match into more than 2 opposing teams, thus not allowing free-for-all - or multiple small groups in say 3- or 4-way fights on a map, which i've seen some people asking for too. Realistically that was more a lack of ambition to play with the hardcoded source beyond what they did, as you could easily e.g. place all players on one "team" and count "team damage" etc favourably in such a mode.
There are player groups who do both styles in lobby matches amongst themselves btw, even with particular variations such as "today 3025 tech only" or meme concepts such as the Urbie Derby. This tends to be largely the tabletop-influenced player base btw.

In order to balance Solaris in 1v1 fights - they set up seven divisions with separate queues (on top of separating queues per server region, unlike quickplay...) and divided mechs into those. Balance adaptions to Solaris were basically shifting mechs into other divisions regularly based on claimed "over-" or "underperformance". Of course this also means you have over a dozen different queues that players have to manually switch between to find opponents, which is suboptimal to say the least. Could have been done better even on the existing code, say implementing a call-to-arms (similar to FP) to everyone active in Solaris mode once someone queues up somewhere.

There were somewhere around 700 people/accounts still playing Solaris in recent seasons, mostly for the rewards of course (which were fairly lucrative to entice people to play it). However, that's only 700 out of 20,000+. Simply not sustainable.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #165 on: 03 September 2021, 22:24:06 »
So what made Solaris so unpopular?  Poor balance?  Poor implementation?

I can't speak as authoritatively as others but even relatively early on there was a noted tendency for players to leg sweep because that was the easiest way to down a mech. Certain high burst damage builds were especially good at it. Other outright alpha builds would have been basically impossible to fight against in Solaris so you just couldn't bring them in (DireStars with 10+ PPCs, for example).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #166 on: 03 September 2021, 23:55:30 »
No 8 mech free for all!?  Jeez, why'd they even bother?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #167 on: 04 September 2021, 00:06:18 »
Because people asked for Solaris as far back as closed beta, just like people long asked for their very own DropShip to own and roam about which is why PGI thought MW5 having one was a good idea to develop even though people just hit Tab because that menu is faster.

What the various competing segments of the player base want, what PGI expected people wanted, what PGI could actually produce and if its even a good idea don't always align.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2021, 00:07:53 by Cyc »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #168 on: 04 September 2021, 04:00:50 »
I found the Oceanic Solaris queue to be so poorly populated that I'd use it to cheat out various challenges. I could have myself and a friend co-join the queue and be basically assured that we'd end in the same match
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #169 on: 04 September 2021, 04:59:19 »
I think a proper Solaris implementation might need a deeper rethink of the base systems (maybe add in some more sim-type elements) and at least physical attacks.

The latest patch to the game continues to implement new balance changes. I've been enjoying them and have to confess still being hooked since I came back, with a wider amount of 'Mechs/weapons that I enjoy playing than before, so good stuff.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2021, 05:20:18 by GoGo Yubari »

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

kato

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: 04 September 2021, 05:31:46 »
The latest patch to the game continues to implement new balance changes.
Which were completely unnecessary gameplay-wise, and only serve to further the agenda of a certain competitive subset of the player base that seeks to impress their play style as the only way to play the game upon the population at large.

Sorry, personal peeve there.

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #171 on: 04 September 2021, 06:48:20 »
Which were completely unnecessary gameplay-wise, and only serve to further the agenda of a certain competitive subset of the player base that seeks to impress their play style as the only way to play the game upon the population at large.

Sorry, personal peeve there.

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my view, more playstyles, more 'Mechs and weapons are viable, so it's good.

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #172 on: 04 September 2021, 13:55:02 »
We'll have to agree to disagree. In my view, more playstyles, more 'Mechs and weapons are viable, so it's good.

I agree.  I'm not at all involved in the competitive stuff, and The Cauldron is made up of the average players too.  I'm really enjoying these changes!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: 19 September 2021, 06:59:14 »
The Cauldron is made up of the average players too.
There are five people i'm aware of that have publicly identified themselves as being part of the Cauldron. Between all five you have an average Jarl's rating of 99.91%. Four of them are in the same unit. "Average players" is something different.

Register