Register Register

Author Topic: Master Unit List (MUL) Feedback Thread III - READ THE FIRST POST  (Read 59832 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Master Unit List (MUL) Feedback Thread III - READ THE FIRST POST
« Reply #870 on: 18 June 2022, 17:24:05 »
'Mech availabilities have and will always ebb and flow for each faction within each era.

In this case, the Falcons have split into three "subfactions" of sorts. The intent behind the current distribution is to give each list a unique yet recognizable flavor, while also refreshing and streamlining their lists to reflect what each military might look like after the massive material/manpower losses that were suffered.

With that said, the SLDF factions are still in flux, and may see further evolution as more material comes out.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #871 on: 19 June 2022, 00:36:19 »
Per the Battle of Tukayyid sourcebook, Royal variants of mechs like the Highlander and Shadow Hawk were present in the Comguard's forces.  However, they are not presently listed as being available to Comster during the Clan Invasion era.  Should they be or are they considered too rare to count?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #872 on: 19 June 2022, 16:01:41 »
No plans for now.

Fair enough, if I was to do a force for the Confederation would I use the Periphery General or Pirate list?

Also should there be a Marauder variant on one or both of the above lists? Both have a Marauder II listed but none of the original design.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #873 on: 19 June 2022, 16:04:25 »
Pirates are part of periphery general so both

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

what is being a battletech fan besides accepting a bad, poorly informed take twenty years ago, reciting it repeatedly as fact, and never bothering to update your opinion by reading anything new?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #874 on: 19 June 2022, 16:23:23 »
Pirates are part of periphery general so both

Cheers.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #875 on: 19 June 2022, 16:39:30 »
Hm. Yes. I've added Pirate to the Red Hunter as well, since his career path appears to be a bit complicated.

Henning

• Private
  • Per aspera ad astra.
« Reply #876 on: 20 June 2022, 08:46:19 »
Just out of curiosity:
The Ares Superheavies are available for both Davion and Marik in the IlClan era. I thought these Mechs were not that widely available, only produced on Terra and all either destroyed on Terra or captured by the Wolves (and kind of "handled" by the Foxes). Or are the Foxes now selling these IS wide?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #877 on: 20 June 2022, 09:23:10 »
To quote a classic BattleTech expression: time will tell.

But, as always, it's important to remember that ilClan availabilities are still in flux.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #878 on: 21 June 2022, 04:25:12 »
I have noticed an odd thing while looking at the Phoenix Hawk availability.

PXH-3D and PXH-3S used shift to a limited availability in Late Republic then extinct in Dark Ages.  However, both of them now have Scorpion Empire availability in Dark Ages and IlClan eras.  The only other access that the Scorpinos have to Phoenix Hawks is the good old PXH-1.  There doesn't seem to be an easy source of these models to Scorpion territory, the out-of-production Federated suns variant especially so.
I think these may have been added in error.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #879 on: 21 June 2022, 07:16:12 »
There are a few others like that on the Scorpion list---they're all tied to their conquest and assimilation of the Hanseatic worlds.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #880 on: 22 June 2022, 02:38:19 »
I had spotted those, but it seemed especially out of place for a design across the other side of the sphere.  All the other ones I've found so far were either generically available or originated in Lyran space, the nearest IS state.  Or is this an example of convergent design evolution?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #881 on: 22 June 2022, 09:33:46 »
The Goshawk II 2 and Goshawk II 3 are both listed as "Standard" tech level, but shouldn't they be "Advanced" and "Experimental" based on their introduction date?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #882 on: 22 June 2022, 13:15:53 »
The Goshawk II 2 and Goshawk II 3 are both listed as "Standard" tech level, but shouldn't they be "Advanced" and "Experimental" based on their introduction date?
2 is standard as ER Flamer is TL circa '81. Armored Components are Advanced circa '83.

At least going by TRO Prototypes tech advancement table, don't think it has been erratad anywhere?
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

pokefan548

• Warrant Officer
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
« Reply #883 on: 22 June 2022, 13:55:30 »
More a technical issue than anything, but has anyone else noticed that the image host for the unit art has been really slow lately?
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #884 on: 22 June 2022, 14:14:25 »
it has bad days. today is definitely one of them

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

what is being a battletech fan besides accepting a bad, poorly informed take twenty years ago, reciting it repeatedly as fact, and never bothering to update your opinion by reading anything new?

pokefan548

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #885 on: 22 June 2022, 14:15:55 »
Any particular reason why the MUL relies on a 3rd-party image host specifically for unit art, come to think?
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #886 on: 22 June 2022, 14:28:02 »
it's free

pokefan548

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #887 on: 22 June 2022, 14:31:43 »
it's free
I mean- sure but... you're already paying for the MUL servers? You already have loads of graphics on there?
Granted, I can understand storage space being a concern, and it is a lot of images, but I know for a fact they're also not particularly high-resolution.
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #888 on: 22 June 2022, 14:33:19 »
this has been reviewed internally.

pokefan548

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #889 on: 22 June 2022, 14:36:32 »
this has been reviewed internally.
Fair enough. I'm sure TPTB have their reasons.
With that, [/topic].
Back to your regularly scheduled gathering-outside-of-GreekFire's-house-with-torches-pitchforks-and-sourcebooks.
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser

ShroudedSciuridae

• Sergeant
« Reply #890 on: 23 June 2022, 10:30:10 »
Missing from the MUL, Auxiliary Defense Tank ADT-1 from TtS Granada p. 12

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #891 on: 23 June 2022, 17:25:30 »
huh. turns out i entered them a while ago. just forgot to make them visible.

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #892 on: 23 June 2022, 22:34:32 »
The MUL lists the source of the ADTs as TtS:Valencia. Correct source is  TtS:Granada.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #893 on: 23 June 2022, 22:38:29 »
the tanks have been moved to the appropriate spain-themed planet

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #894 on: 24 June 2022, 00:56:36 »
So when I find a vehicle in the MUL and want to buy the source material containing the TRO entry or RS, the MUL directs me to the wrong pdf?
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #895 on: 24 June 2022, 01:36:21 »
mistakes happen

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #896 on: 24 June 2022, 01:40:53 »
Ah, sorry, I (mis-)understood that the tanks were intentionally moved to TtS:Valencia
- David Drake

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #897 on: 24 June 2022, 17:32:40 »
I guess the Hammerhead is available now to IS general as well as clan general.
From the Hammerhead  premium mini news on this site:
"The Hammerhead is 45-ton, ilClan era design by Clan Sea Fox, provided to all Clans and Inner Sphere factions in a tariff-free offering."

pokefan548

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #898 on: 24 June 2022, 18:05:44 »
While it's a strong hint that Sea Fox may be selling to spheroids soon, I'm fairly certain promotional blurbs can't dictate canon availability on their own.

Availability also doesn't just mean "you can buy it", it means "you have bought it, and can call on a non-individual quantity for active use." At least, that's my one-sentence description, I'm sure Sartris and GreekFire could produce better summaries. While I'm sure that Sea Fox's opening of the flood gates to I.S. buyers would include an aggressive advertising campaign to every corner of the Sphere, it's not really I.S. General until every single active I.S. faction on the MUL buys or salvages a meaningful quantity.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2022, 18:10:32 by pokefan548 »
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #899 on: 24 June 2022, 18:11:00 »
this is now an internal discussion. thank you for bringing it to our attention.