Register Register

Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: TDR-* Thunderbolt  (Read 25274 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 'Mech of the Week: TDR-* Thunderbolt
« Reply #120 on: 30 August 2021, 05:44:49 »
And pretty sure canon designs are not required to conform to WYSIWYG either. The show-case units in RG series are WYSIWYG but they do occasionally have new variants that aren't.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #121 on: 30 August 2021, 14:37:50 »
New player recognition of the Mech's mini, while consulting a record sheet mid-game, is probably aided by being WYSIWYG.  Those of us who have been at this a while sometimes take for granted our encyclopedic ability to recognize most units on sight.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Starfury

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 01 September 2021, 05:06:08 »
The mechs that are getting WYSIWYG are either one off units from the Kickstarter like the Thug, or various variants of the Unseen/Ommi configurations.  It's both a design challenge, ease of recognition/effective variant builds for new and old players who want to throw down in the IlClan or Dark Age eras  without purchasing a ton of minis, and consolidating the product line.  I'm sure we'll see the same happen to other era units if the Recguides and kickstarters continue to be profitable.  As for the T-bolt, it still continues to be the yardstick for heavy trooper mechs.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #123 on: 01 September 2021, 18:54:20 »
With all the weapon port/barrels on a T-Bolt, I feel like it might be an interesting challenge to see what you can do to make them all usable.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #124 on: 01 September 2021, 22:11:48 »
It does have a lot . . . lol start a design thread and let's see the craziest stuff.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 01 September 2021, 23:12:52 »
That thread is here

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 21 September 2021, 04:08:32 »
Personally I kind of like bringing WYSIWYG in, while it doesn't actually address any of BT's problems with the firehose of designs, it is something of an improvement in that area.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #127 on: 22 September 2021, 04:30:24 »
All I see WYSIWIG doing is preventing people from playing with new units that either lack a mini, have no affordable mini, or no assembly-possible mini. Not my cup of tea at all. Yes, I've seen proxy abuse, but the same people doing that would cheat other ways.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #128 on: 22 September 2021, 05:35:12 »
There's no WYSIWYG rule in BT, all that's WYSIWYG is that the newest featured variants in Recognition Guide series are made to match minis.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #129 on: 22 September 2021, 16:18:32 »
Proxy abuse is solvable by requiring a written note on the sheet as to which mini it matches.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #130 on: 22 September 2021, 18:08:56 »
The game has always been proxy friendly, most variants are not wysiwyg so I have no idea why so many are making a bid deal out of it.

I'm a fan of the Steiner series of Thuds regardless. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com