Register Register

Author Topic: Army Report: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, 3025 (new!)  (Read 3673 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Okay, if you're familiar with the Army Report concept, feel free to jump past this next bit ...

A while back, I came to the conclusion that it would be useful to have "transition" products aimed at people who are coming from other games with a more formal organisation - army lists, codexes, that sort of thing. BattleTech is a huge, sprawling universe - one of its main attractions, IMHO - but in all fairness if you're not used to that freedom, if you dont' have access to the mass of back-story and fluff, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Now the free downloads available on this site are amazing resources, but even then, they're also a little overwhelming to someone new to the game. And I've seen a fair number of posts to the effect of "How can I find out a bit more about the (Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, etc etc)?" or "Which house will suit me and my style of playing best?". So I decided to create something myself to cover this gap. Thus were born the Army Reports.

Basically, they're digests of the 3025-era House Books. They give a brief summary of each state and its leader, their interstellar relations, and then their military, along with a map of the realm produced by forum member Blacknova. The information is all taken from canon sources - I kept the editing to an absolute minimum, and supplemented lightly from other sources like the Field Manuals or scenario books where appropriate. Then, they provide highlights of ten notable - or representative - regiments, including unit mottos and paint schemes, along with beautiful pictures of CamoSpecs minis belonging to some of the units. Finally, they include Random Assignment Tables (RATS) allowing people to quickly "roll up" random representative units, and a larger list covering common & uncommon 'Mechs and vehicles serving in that state's armed forces, all with BV2 point values and a brief section on balancing games using BV2.
Four Army Reports have been completed to date: those for the Free Words League Military (House Marik), the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (House Kurita), the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (House Davion), and the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (House Steiner). They can be found in this thread. Today, the last remaining Great House receives its due. Discover that many things you may think you know are colored by preconceptions, and marvel at the tenacity which is the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces!

Army Report: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, 3025

Feel free to download, and freely share & print these; please don't try and charge anyone for'em, for Ghu's sake! Comments and corrections welcomed.

There will be a bit of a pause before I pick up the AR cudgels again, while I decide whether to tackle the Periphery, Mercenaries, or the mysterious order that is ComStar.

Cheers,

Worktroll
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
Re: Army Report: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, 3025 (new!)
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 18:36:43 »
Thanks for uploading all of these. 
Alot of good info in em. O0
Made by HikageMaru

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2011, 15:50:11 »
Thanks WT.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2011, 18:55:04 »
In the textbox about Max Liao, the first two sentences in the second part (on page 4) are duplicated from an earlier paragraph.

The Capellan production centers are a problematic issue, as there are lots of contradicting canonical statements about their number and location. For example, 'Mech factories are (infrequently) mentioned to exist on Betelgeuze and on Sirius. Overall, I feel the list of "major" military industries was shortened to the point of becoming misleading, omitting too many facilities.

In the RATs, while I haven't checked them against Xotl's tables, I find it curious that the Cyclops is on "3"; I though it would be relatively common in the CCAF. Similarly, the Victor probably is a lot more common; I think it is even being produced on St. Ives in 3025.

And out of curiosity: What is a picture of Patrick Kell on Murchison in 301?  :)

But these are small points. The reports are excellent handouts, and imho CGL should really consider putting them up as official material.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 21:08:46 »
First point noted for v1.1.

Second - definitely. However, I tried to stick to sources available in the era the House Books came out, eliminating but not adding based on later information. This is likely to be a major hassle with the Periphery, given the status of the original book.

Third - the 'Mech RATs are from a version of Xotl's from mid-late last year; the vehicle RATS I made for D6 based on the D1000 distributions Xotl had.

Fourth - ask rather "What did Shrapnel do using art from the House Liao house book to illustrate a story set in the DC?" ;)

And lastly - thanks for the kudos; but I don't think CGL has any spare resources as it is for something like these, which is why I took it on myself to do something. Share and enjoy!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2011, 06:07:45 »
  ’Fraid I’ve got a couple more errata for you to put into v1.1, worktroll.   :D

p.9, left column (bottom) - rank table:

Officer Ranks
Senior Colonel
Colone
Major
Captain
Commander
Subcommander

p.24, left column, first bullet-point:

Common units featured on the LCAF 3025 RATs above...

p.24, right column (middle), right after the bullet-points:

Example: take the 1st Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Donegal Guard shown on page 19. Herb, playing this force, could reasonably swap his TBT-5N Trebuchet, for the TBT-5S variant, as long as he didn’t swap any other ’Mechs in his command lance. He could also choose to swap the Awesome AWS-8Q for a Victor VTR-9A – but not for a Cyclops CP-10-Q, which is 10 tons heavier, or for a King Crab KGC-0000, which is not available to Lyran MechWarriors.

Those niggles aside, this looks pretty damn' good as an intro-level product, unofficial or not.  O0