Register Register

Author Topic: (Late) Mech(s) of the week - Gladiator and Von Rohrs  (Read 6828 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: (Late) Mech(s) of the week - Gladiator and Von Rohrs
« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2021, 11:44:32 »
Original article says the 4R has a Laser, what I can find says PPC . . . PPC basically makes it a super-Panther and something that would be pretty welcome.

The -5R?  LFE, XL Gyro, and close range weapons . . . eh, not sure . . . and the Artemis added to the rack is not something I would usually want.  BUT 4/6/6 with a Snub makes it a decent flanker.  Where does Star Corps make this?  Son Hoa would be interesting next to those Highlanders, Sunders, and other assault monsters- and makes the politics out in the region interesting.

Honestly, would rather have a -4R2 with that LFE from the -5R, ERPPC, DHS and SRM- two 4s instead of a 6.

Looks- LOVE the Gladiator looks, both versions . . . the Drac looking one from White makes sense for 1R & 2R . . . the more spartan 3R/4R/5R make sense for Merryweather/Star Corps.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Comedian

• Corporal
  • The Artist formerly known as Comedian
« Reply #31 on: 30 January 2021, 08:15:49 »
They are not bad Mechs.
So I have to ask: Are they around during /post Jihad/ early Republic? (clarification : the von Roehrs)
« Last Edit: 30 January 2021, 08:24:11 by Comedian »
Listen to your inner Lyran.
Take a Assault Mech!

Yes I was on the old boards.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 30 January 2021, 11:48:25 »
In canon, the only way someone would know about the Hebis would probably be some kuritian mech history buff, and even then probably not even as a part.

In a personal game, you can have them as common as you want.

They are not bad Mechs.
So I have to ask: Are they around during /post Jihad/ early Republic? (clarification : the von Roehrs)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #33 on: 30 January 2021, 12:19:52 »
at this moment in time, they're officially extinct - one hasn't been seen in centuries.

the actual definition of "extinct" is complicated a bit to make things flexible for people who want to operate on varying levels of canon compliance

whether or not something qualifies as extant or extinct is from the in-universe perspective of factions existing at the time. extinct means there are zero known examples of that unit among those factions. since the MUL team is not given the status of various eradiated/out of contact factions, for example the Word of Blake or homeworld clans post-reaving, we don't have their perspective. they may be running around out there in the 32nd century but since they are not part of the sphere of PoV factions, they don't exist... until they do (writers are capricious animals and tend to do as they please. we can only hope to keep them relatively contained and clean up after them when they get loose).

for our friend the Von Rohrs, that means that none are known to the PoV faction of any era since the star league. this is where the "known" aspect of the definition offers a lifeline to players (and devs as well). say there was a DCMS bunker that got nuked and a collapse cut off access. in the chaos of the intervening years, its location was lost to history. in 3062, an earthquake / eruption / science experiment gone horribly wrong uncovers the entrance to said bunker. inside is a bunch of equipment thought lost to history. voilá, a von rohrs for your unit.

additional note: if there is a canon example of a unit that appears, that potentially overrides the MUL, it should be reported - remember, it's a reflection of the universe situation, not a creator of it. the database is built from canon (and sometimes we have to make stuff up to, which is admittedly fun). so if something that's allegedly extinct is doing very non-extinct things, we may potentially adjust the availability.

Failure16

• Warrant Officer
  • A Fire in the Distance
« Reply #34 on: 20 March 2021, 23:43:43 »
Well . . . you are going on a raid in a few weeks . . . and you know there is a decommissioned Age of War storage bunker way out on the other side of the training areas.  Dump four of those things out there and report them as 'combat loss' . . . might get you in good with the boss next promotion cycle.

Think it does not happen?  Look at the tanks and planes dumped off ships in WWII on their way back.

Unfortunately I cannot find the stills of Brit ships shoving Lend-Lease equipment overboard after the war.

As an aside, the equipment DX'd off ships at the end of WWII--especially Lend-Lease equipment--was eliminated for very specific, chiefly fiscal, reasons. On the other hand, the helicopters pushed over the side at the end of the American withdrawal from Vietnam was done for specific, primarily functional, reasons.

In any event, I choose for the Gladiators--the old BattleDroids/BattleTechnology -3R and primary -4R--to exist in limited forms in my 3/4SW games/personal view of the universe. Let's face it: in the era of the Unseen, it was nice to have some more grist for the  mill. The fact that it was more faction specific was the icing on the cake for a game-era where there were a lot of choices that pretty much everyone got to share.

Now, it's just a beautiful miniature and a solid (pair of) design(s) that shouldn't be left unattended and unused when there are Yeomans and Targes on tables.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2021, 00:36:48 »
Yeah, I was just trying to find the pictures as a 'demonstration' of stuff being dumped b/c for some reason the chain of command finds it inconvenient.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Failure16

• Warrant Officer
  • A Fire in the Distance
« Reply #36 on: 21 March 2021, 07:29:27 »
Well, then you were spot on: the British equipment was dumped precisely because it was inconvenient to have around. If they'd have kept it, they would have had to pay for it, and after WWII, money wasn't a thing the British had a lot of hanging around.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #37 on: 04 April 2021, 19:12:55 »
Given the way the combine's leadership was "thinking" at the time, i'd say any lower-ranking noble that could spare a 'mech vanishing could have quietly "lost" their Gladiator or Von Rohrs in a silo somewhere on their planet and then "forgot" it for political reasons....
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Middcore

• Sergeant
  • "Robots are different from cyborgs!"
« Reply #38 on: 04 April 2021, 20:26:49 »
The art of the more Combine-flavored Gladiator is great, kind of reminds me of a proto-Hatamoto.
"It's called world-building, Gabriel! And it was so honey-sweet. I plunged my proboscis in and filled my sacs!"
-Penny Arcade

Fortunes of War is my BT fanfiction novella. Please take a look and let me know if you enjoyed it.