Register Register

Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: RWN-01 Cricket  (Read 2124 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: 'Mech of the Week: RWN-01 Cricket
« Reply #30 on: 17 November 2020, 16:48:17 »
Speed (7/11/6) and weapons (2 LPPC w/TC) are in the blue stat-block, weight is left off but IIRC its 30 or 35 . . . no variants as also said.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: 17 November 2020, 17:38:06 »
Ok, I have not read a lot of the comments about the mech, but this leaves a lot of things to even ask about since I do not have the TRO that this comes from.
What is the weight of the mech? the speed, The payload of weapons? What are the other variants of the mech?

I admittedly forgot the tonnage, so thanks for the reminder!

For the rest of the raw details, I've been putting them all in a small box at the beginning of the article—and if no variants are mentioned, no variants exist. I personally like to use these articles to explore elements that aren't immediately gleaned by look at a record sheet or stat block, to focus more on how to use a 'Mech or what its in-universe impact or role might be...

I mean this kinda leaves a lot lacking to know about the unit and what it does and how to counter it in a fight. I can tell it was made by the dracs and that it has some pretty crappy armor. That is about all I can tell from this.

...though I guess I failed with this one.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2020, 17:49:45 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 17 November 2020, 17:47:58 »
This mech is from Recognition Guide Volume 6, which you can find here.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #33 on: 17 November 2020, 18:17:50 »
For the rest of the raw details, I've been putting them all in a small box at the beginning of the article—and if no variants are mentioned, no variants exist. I personally like to use these articles to explore elements that aren't immediately gleaned by look at a record sheet or stat block, to focus more on how to use a 'Mech or what its in-universe impact or role might be...

...though I guess I failed with this one.

I figured the Cricket was designed to go after the traditional Davion lights & meds armed with autocannons- hence my comparison to the Davion's lights designed to go after other lights & meds while mitigating the risk of pulse & particularly Clan pulse defense.  Use the Crickets to harass or draw fire from LBX, AC & LAC equipped mechs . . . Riflemen, Blackjack, Jagermech, and other FedSuns staples with dakka.

I do wonder how a pair of older Drac heavies and pair of Crickets would fair in a encounter against a Rifleman 6D (or some other new RecGuide LAC model), Jagermech 7-G, Enforcer 6Ma or 6R, and maybe a Valkyrie D2Q or Hatchetman 6D/5DD.  Get the Crickets behind the RFL or Jager and you stand a chance to go internal.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 17 November 2020, 18:40:25 »
Ballistic-Reinforced does absolutely nothing against LBX pellets, for what it's worth.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #35 on: 18 November 2020, 04:12:55 »
Ballistic-Reinforced does absolutely nothing against LBX pellets, for what it's worth.
Weird.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #36 on: 18 November 2020, 04:17:05 »
It's because they didn't want Ballistic-Reinforced armor to be better than Ferro-Lamellor.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 18 November 2020, 14:51:12 »
At 10 points a ton it most certainly is not regardless of performance against LBX.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #38 on: 18 November 2020, 23:20:54 »
in China and later japan, Crickets were considered lucky and were often kept as pets. so the name seems fitting.

honestly this comes across to me as basically a faster Panther, with the twin LPPC's matching the single PPC in output. just trading single hit punch for a better chance of doing 5 damage each turn.

the faster speed makes sense given the spread of 5/8 or higher cavalry units and extremely fast scouts.

Thanks for the info on crickets in Japan. i had forgotten that.
To the utmost!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #39 on: 18 November 2020, 23:51:38 »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 19 November 2020, 00:00:59 »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_fighting

That really puts the KS into perspective. 1/12 of what they make on crickets.  :))

This mech doesn’t do much for me.
Weapons are ok enough for IS, armor doesn’t really fit. (It might fit better if Davion really went all in on clan ACs, rather than just slapping on Clan PPCs).

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #41 on: 19 November 2020, 01:02:05 »
Nah, don't change it, instead there is a hilarious story to tell regarding the release of the second variant, and the acountant who managed to avoid getting killed by the hit squad sent by a red faced engineer.

jymset has been kind enough to permit a variant if it's reprinted in the presumed compilation volume.  So that one will be 9/14 no MASC.  Still by no means hyper-efficient (it was never intended to be such), but there's only so far I can stand in that direction unless I'm deliberately chasing a boondoggle or have a strong story to shape around.
3028-3050 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info and Quirk lists.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #42 on: 19 November 2020, 01:22:47 »
We need a way to shoehorn a Heavy Gauss Rifle onto one.  Call that variant the Noisy Cricket...

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 19 November 2020, 01:54:29 »
We need a way to shoehorn a Heavy Gauss Rifle onto one.  Call that variant the Noisy Cricket...

Forget the HGR . . . give it a HVAC, it can be VERY noisy.

The BV adjustment for SC and MASC might be worthy of discussion, but that is a whole other can of worms.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #44 on: 19 November 2020, 02:01:24 »
Yeah, but it doesn't have the crazy throw-you-on-your-bum recoil.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 19 November 2020, 02:15:14 »
Sure it does . . . it will easily throw whatever confetti is left of the mech all over the area.
Colt Ward

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 19 November 2020, 06:19:50 »
Impact-resistant armor halves falling damage, right? Seems perfect for a light HGR mech! :D

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #47 on: 19 November 2020, 08:18:24 »
People talk about having this compete with Spiders, Venoms, and Jenners... What if it's meant to complement them instead. How well does a Cricket/Spider/other team perform?

I haven't tested it, but the more I think about it pairing a Cricket with a Spider/Venom seems like a good idea. The Cricket offers long range fire support to distract an enemy while the Spider moves into position for close combat. Weirdo, you may be onto something here.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 20 November 2020, 12:42:47 »
Impact-resistant armor halves falling damage, right? Seems perfect for a light HGR mech! :D
Oh, actual use for the armor! The Hollander II could use an improved variant with iHGR and impact-resistant armor...
EDIT Nevermind, not worth it after quick study.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 12:44:30 by Empyrus »
Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor, Blade BLD-XR variant, Valiant VLT-3E variant, DI Multipurpose VTOL, Void (Minelayer) for fan funding
(Also Atlas AS7-K2)

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 20 November 2020, 14:14:03 »
Oh, actual use for the armor! The Hollander II could use an improved variant with iHGR and impact-resistant armor...
EDIT Nevermind, not worth it after quick study.
Drop the speed to 4/6 and it sort of works. Very sort of. ::)

Empyrus

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 20 November 2020, 14:22:46 »
Drop the speed to 4/6 and it sort of works. Very sort of. ::)
I tried to avoid engine changes.
Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor, Blade BLD-XR variant, Valiant VLT-3E variant, DI Multipurpose VTOL, Void (Minelayer) for fan funding
(Also Atlas AS7-K2)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: 20 November 2020, 19:19:26 »
I tried to avoid engine changes.
You can do an iHGR, impact armor, and keep the engine unchanged if you go with an XL gyro, small cockpit, and drop either a ton of ammo or armor.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #52 on: 20 November 2020, 21:47:11 »
Can you fit the iHGR in with an XL gyro?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 21 November 2020, 00:33:04 »
That sounds like an excellent question for a Hollander II article.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 21 November 2020, 09:27:41 »
Can you fit the iHGR in with an XL gyro?
With a standard or compact engine. But never with an XXLFE unfortunately. :( We might be getting a wee bit off topic here, thought.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #55 on: 23 November 2020, 09:29:32 »

Or a Cricket with a Heavy PPC?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)