Register Register

Author Topic: MotW repost: Mad Dog / Vulture / Hagetaka  (Read 12442 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: MotW repost: Mad Dog / Vulture / Hagetaka
« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2021, 10:18:51 »
I really like the S, but a lot of the old Invasion Omni S configs turn out to be good IS-fighting machines.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2021, 14:44:16 »
I don't like the Vulture S. Doesn't feel like a Vulture at all. No saying it ain't good though, it is. But that is kinda the reason it doesn't feel like a Vulture, the C is a stupid birb, this one is smart.

Other new ones...

The T is... OK i guess. I like the Prime's pulse lasers, though extra missiles the T has is good. But Artemis V is quite a bit of tonnage for something that is rather easily interfered with.

The DD is weirdly named, but i guess that's because it is canonized version of a German Solaris VII set Vulture D. Same issue as the Vulture B has, Artemis IV for the LRM rather than more LRM ammo. Doesn't seem terrible, while the LB-Xs aren't great here, they do keep the 'Mech overall cheap in BV.

More "new toys" in the G. Runs a bit hot, doesn't feel like it adds anything over the B.

The I is a radical departure for a Mad Dog configuration. Cheap in BV, innovative in that is very different configuration rather than "variation on a theme". No real opinion on it though.

Finally, an Artillery Vulture in the V config. Not much Arrow ammo though, evidently meant to be something that either guards other artillery units or advances into front line quickly after or while depleting its Arrow missiles.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2021, 14:59:52 »
While the Mad Dog S may not line up with other Mad Dog configs (which is not a bad thing IMO, it is a OMNI after all) it does fit in with the earlier S configs- Kit Fox, Nova, Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf.  I actually had hoped to get more S configs- generally summed up by pulse lasers, SRMs, electronics, MGs, and JJs for mobility in the urban areas.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2021, 15:04:00 »
True, though those configs tend to be patterned after the Primes to an extent. This one is more like "let's take C but make it smart".
But the Vulture S does arguably complement other S configs pretty well. The Timber Wolf S for example sports pulse lasers and SRMs, so a couple of ER PPCs backing that is nice.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #34 on: 18 June 2021, 15:05:28 »
True, though those configs tend to be patterned after the Primes to an extent. This one is more like "let's take C but make it smart".
But the Vulture S does arguably complement other S configs pretty well. The Timber Wolf S for example sports pulse lasers and SRMs, so a couple of ER PPCs backing that is nice.

Huh?  Only the Nova afaik really mimics though I thought some weps were in the arm.  The Timber Wolf S is 'lop-sided' with a LPL on one side only.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 18 June 2021, 15:09:48 »
Huh?  Only the Nova afaik really mimics though I thought some weps were in the arm.  The Timber Wolf S is 'lop-sided' with a LPL on one side only.
The Kit Fox S sports a mix of long and short range weapons, including missiles but with jump jets. The Timby S has shoulder missiles and laser arms, though i grant it is lopsided, but that is not uncommon for early Timby alternate configs such as the B or C.
The Dire Wolf S is more of an exception perhaps, IMO, but then again you can fit that 'Mech in just about any way thanks to its payload.
-What's the difference?

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #36 on: 18 June 2021, 21:43:17 »
The V configuration reminds me of the Catapult C3.  I wish it had dual Arrow IVs instead, but I guess that's what the Naga is for.  The beauty of omnimechs, though!
« Last Edit: 23 July 2021, 08:15:46 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 02 July 2021, 20:59:56 »
To follow up a good point made earlier. The Rifleman is a contrast to show just what the clan tech
done sensibly can do. Both are support mechs but the blend of protection and firepower on the
Mad Dog even in the prime config is just more versatile...

When I was  shopping for minis this spring to build out a new lance I looked at a Riflemen...and
then bought two more Mad Dogs

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 02 July 2021, 21:27:05 »
Its interesting design.  It like a support mech wanting to be brawler.  Its configurations and later newer versions just keep it going.

I do recall from the early minis that Mad Dogs were actually narrow designs without the box launchers. I joked with some friends it could properly hide from enemy units for ambush if it keep it's nose to it if was configured without it's launchers like the Gauss Rifle / C configuration.

(Image taken from smallscaleoperations.blogspot.com)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #39 on: 22 July 2021, 21:55:52 »
Indeed...some of the first imagery was amazingly narrow ! I imagined the  mechwarrior resting his arms
on the cockpit sides with elbows hanging over the side  ;)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #40 on: 23 July 2021, 00:14:08 »
There is some beautiful art out there illustrating this;
https://www.deviantart.com/scug/art/Got-Kittens-32233371

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 23 July 2021, 03:05:09 »
Has anyone managed to get their BVs worth with the Mad Dog I? Because I can't even manage to succeed with one against princessbot's equal BV randoms.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 23 July 2021, 09:13:37 »
Has anyone managed to get their BVs worth with the Mad Dog I? Because I can't even manage to succeed with one against princessbot's equal BV randoms.

Important thing to remember is you are paying that BV for guns, not armor . . . so set it up against a IS design in a 1v1?  top end heavy or lower weight assault . . . and 5/8 is not going to keep away enough to survive with that level of armor.

BUT . . . put it in a force on force fight?  It can hang back to let something else with more armor draw fire and use the high BV cost weapons to pound on targets.  Place a Mad Dog Prime on the flanks and you should be free of backstabbers while still being able to pound targets.
Colt Ward

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 23 July 2021, 10:23:43 »
In general the best value is clan mechs with light or "bad" weapons. Look for configurations with light ACs and ATM3s.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 23 July 2021, 10:32:06 »
Mad Dogs already get a benefit because most of the configs overheat- the Mad Dog C coming to mind as the only one that really does not . . . then it gets penalized with headcappers.
Colt Ward

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #45 on: 23 July 2021, 11:29:10 »
Mad Dogs already get a benefit because most of the configs overheat- the Mad Dog C coming to mind as the only one that really does not . . . then it gets penalized with headcappers.
The Mad Dog C can work, but it needs a very special environment to shine.... like the fires of hell.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 23 July 2021, 12:07:13 »
Yeah, just talking about the BV 'benefit' of having all those other weapons . . .

But yeah, if I had to pick a force to charge through a forest fire it would be Mad Dog Cs and Gargoyle Primes which strangely compliment each other.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #47 on: 23 July 2021, 13:38:45 »
The Vulture is a support mech.  It works best as part of a group, not as a solo act.  On a larger battlefield where you can keep it in the back providing long-range support for a few rounds before it closes to close range to finish off a target it works a lot better.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 23 July 2021, 13:45:03 »
The Vulture is a support mech.  It works best as part of a group, not as a solo act.
The Clans never got this memo, me thinks.
-What's the difference?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #49 on: 23 July 2021, 14:26:06 »
It says so right in the Vulture's write-up in TRO 3050, though.  That was how it got assigned its Inner Sphere code name.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 23 July 2021, 17:32:55 »
That was how the Inner Sphere assessed it. The Sea Fox spin in the Rec Guide on the Mad Dog being overgunned was that it's designed to fight its own battles at a variety of ranges. That is probably what the zell-happy Jags were thinking when they created it, even if the most practical use of the mech is as support.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #51 on: 23 July 2021, 20:35:12 »
The Mad Dog being a support 'mech depends on the configurations being used.  It's like saying how the Primary configuration attacks with LRMs at long range, then uses pulse lasers at close range for the kill, even though the rules optimize the weapons for the opposite traditional range brackets.  I think the Primary, B, and C anyway can hold their own very well.  The close range of the A's SRMs is problematic to me, so I think it's best used in a coordinated Star.

IMO canon configurations are what's commonly observed on the battlefield, and for gameplay purposes make it easy to make an omni opfor instead of having to design new configurations for the opfor each time.  I wouldn't be surprised if "personal" or highly-situational configurations are more common than the TROs let on.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!