Register Register

Author Topic: Talk to me about...Hardened and Ballistic Reinforced Armor  (Read 346 times)

MarauderD

• Captain
Hey all,

Way back when TRO: 3145 Draconis Combine came out (what, like 8 years ago!!!?) I was rudely confronted by a lot of neat new tech with specialty armor:  the Rokurokubi, Hitotsume-Kozo, Shiro, and Narikami Heavy Tank all had Hardened armor.  After playing against it a bit, I got used to it.  I wondered if that was the way things would go for DCMS units:  more and more of them having hardened armor as time went on.

However, with the Rec. Guides, it seems like more of the new units being produced in the Combine feature Ballistic Reinforced Armor instead.  Not as scary as hardened armor, but taking half damage from all ballistic and missile weapons.  I haven't played much mega mek in the last couple years, and have 0 face to face games in the last 20 years aside from Beginner's Box skirmishes with my 7 year old daughter.

What does everyone think of these new armor types?  Love them?  Hate them?  Are they worth the extra tonnage?  Is there a big BV price tag for bringing them to the table?  The new DCMS Warhammer and Marauder II both field them (as well as the Thug, Panther, Cricket, and a couple others) and the BV seems relatively high?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this one.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Talk to me about...Hardened and Ballistic Reinforced Armor
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2021, 13:16:05 »
Overall, i find hardened armor OK, it just really depends on what it is paired with. Consider the Stalker II, which has a torso cockpit in addition to hardened armor (and no arms quirk if you play with those) and it just gets problematic. The Narukami suffers a bit too if used with quirks. On the other hand, something like the Rokurokubi and UrbanMech becomes hilarious because they stay relatively cheap but seem to take way too much effort to destroy for their mass.

Ballistic-reinforced armor is tricky. No penalties except additional weight and extra BV, unlike hardened armor. But it depends a lot on the opponent. If the opponent fields a mix of of weapons or actually focuses on ballistics and missiles, using reinforced armor has good to incredible benefit. But if they come out with energy weapons, you're paying for having only equal to standard protection against energy weapons.
Though we have to remember that this BV cost may be deceptive (in the new Warhammer's case, it is about 300BV), as a design without reinforced armor probably can be more heavily armed, and could end up costing the same.

I do feel reinforced armor compares positively to reflective armor which has equal BV multiplier if i recall correctly. While energy weapons are ubiquitous, armor that takes extra damage from falls or physical attacks may be a massive hindrance far more easily than armor that just weighs more.
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2021, 14:16:51 »
I want to have access to Narukami as a merc . . . the bastard child of a Schrek and a Alacorn is awesome though I have never gotten to use one yet.

But the Hammerhead and others are going to bring these armors more into the mainstream.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Brakiel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2021, 05:17:08 »
Hardened I'm enjoying a bit more, with the errata a few years ago where it's 20 pips, and not 20 damage that causes a PSR. Still need a really good pilot if you're piloting an assault or slow heavy. But putting it on fast lights or mediums is amazing.

BR, ironically, feels better in games with heavier mechs. Armaments tend to tilt towards ballistics and missiles the heavier you go, with relatively fewer pure flashbulbs. And it doesn't have the movement reduction, so it doesn't feel like a turtle trying to swim through molasses. But the inability to protect against armor piercing effects is rough, and the crit slot requirements means it's really tough to incorporate something like Endo Steel, lots of DHS, and/or big weapons.

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2021, 13:05:47 »
Yeah, I'm wondering if the update to the Dragon will show up in the last 6 rec guides--I'm guessing it will.  A 6/9 Ballistic Reinforced trooper mech would be pretty tough to contend with.