Register Register

Author Topic: This might be a late night trip, or an idea too good for the game.  (Read 757 times)

Charistoph

• Captain
Lieutenant JG Jarvest shuddered as he swarmed the invading 'Mech with his platoon.  Climbing these behemoths was always a challenge, and if one wasn't careful one could get squished by the the moving armor as it repositioned its weapons to fire at larger targets, to swat arrogant butter bars with the temerity to challenge them.

"Firestarter!"

Jarvest swung his head around to see where the 'Mech dedicated to destroying humble infantry like him was.  Spying it striding up to the Griffin his platoon had mounted to try and take over, he turned back to the task at hand.  The enemy mech would not dare fire at them while they were on an ally, after all.

"ElTee!  There's something funny looking about that one!", the same Sergeant who had first noticed the Firestarter declared.

Knowing better to ignore one of his unit's Non-Coms, he focused his sight back on the oncoming 'Mech.  It did look odd.  Normally there were bell-shaped nozzles which were used to guide their name-sake weapon, but on this one they looked like... coolant sprayers?  And it was raising its arms at the Griffin like it was going to fire...!

"Sarge!  Get these men behind the Griffin!", Jarvest yells as he began to follow his own order. 

Before half the men could make there way to the relative safety of the Griffin's back, the Firestarter began spraying what looked like water at his platoon.  But it couldn't be water, because the rainbow pelican sitting on the Griffin's shoulder was shouting that it was the Sarge's ban mitzvah.  That's ridiculous, because the Sarge is clearly a second-born buffalo, and everyone knows they're Sikhs.

As the infantry begin falling off the Griffin with stupefied grins on to the ground, the Griffin radios the Firestarter, "James, I know you said that stuff would work, but, hot damn, I didn't think it would work that well!"

"Well, ma'am, after seeing it at work in the cheap dens of Lindenmarle, I figured a skin-contact psychedelic would work wonders on the battlefield."

So, shooting the bull with some of my local group after the game late at night, or early in the morning, we started talking about dealing with infantry in an upcoming campaign on Vega.  As part of an off-hand remark about Infernos, I suggested the idea of using drugs instead of Inferno's napalm to handle infantry. 

The idea of using it with Fluid Guns and Chemical Sprayers also seemed like a good idea.  Someone suggested that if the ammo bay got hit, it would cause the 'Mech pilot or Vehicle Crew to start tripping as well. 

I presented the idea of what would happen if the Head's Armor wasn't there to protect the Cockpit, and suggested that the Pilot take D6 Damage, presenting the possibility of OD'ing on the drug.  We also considered LRM payloads of it as well.  Then there would be the dangers of when the Techs start salvaging or maintaining a unit hit with it...

So, aside from such chemical warfare seeming to be distasteful for some, would you think that some people would use such an idea, especially if was easier to produce and store than an Inferno's or Flamer's payload?

It may have just been late, and we were tired, but we were laughing hard at the idea.  Is this something that should be pursued or is it just a late night stupid idea?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
That's actually HILARIOUS.  It might also work for those awful 'civil patrol' missions (riot suppression).  maybe mix the psychedelic with a downer and a euphoric?

Oh, and I stole your idea in a story.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2022, 06:01:52 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

idea weenie

• Major
Re: (drug warheads/weapons)
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2022, 09:34:17 »
Also store it in A-pods, for when the infantry want to climb up on the Mech and no convenient 'Fire'starter nearby

This way the Mech is protected
« Last Edit: 29 June 2022, 09:10:20 by idea weenie »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Ah, so THIS is where that idea came from!  :D

Charistoph

• Captain

That's fine, just send me a link so I can enjoy it, too.

Also store it in A-pods, for when the infantry want to climb up on the Mech and no convenient 'Fire'starter nearby

Also an excellent idea, once the idea of A-Pods come in to play.

“Come in”, a harried Addison “Harridan” Dunn said as she was finalizing some last paperwork before their departure to the Lyran Commonwealth in the morning.  Her irritation with the paperwork making her Northwinder brogue almost unintelligible.  3027, and even a mercenary outfit in the Periphery needs everything in triplicate.

Rhys "Basic" Sim came in to her office with a diffident look on his face.  "Mum, I was talking 'Prophet' last week..."

"Is he staring at rocks again?"

"No Mum, I mean, yes, Mum, but that's not why I'm here.  He says he's an amature rockologist, and I believe him, but..."

"Just get to the point, Basic," Harridan sighed as she really didn't need this headache.  Basic was a good kid, and helped her and Thud get off Northwind and out of the Confederation when certain events with a Highlander Colonel, a 2750 Old Earth Scotch, and a ski resort got out of hand, but there were times that she was reminded that his call sign wasn't JUST because of his name.

"Yes Mum.  Well, Prophet and I were visiting Ms Martha's Kitten Repository and..."

"I don't need all the details, Rhys."

"Yes Mum.  Well, as we were going in, the local officers were draggin' a guy out of it, with Ms Martha yelling at him for peddling poison.  We asked the officers what kind of poison he was selling, and it turns out he was selling a stamp a person could put on their arm and go on a trip.  I asked how could putting a stamp send you anywhere better than a dropship, and Prophet told me it wasn't that kind of trip."

"Well, after that action on Itrom where we burninated all those soldiers who helped burninate all those civilians, I've been having a mild pang of conscience.  It's not so much burninating people, that's part of the job and why I aksed for a Firestarter, it's their screaming I don't much care for.

"Anyway, I suggested to Prophet that sending someone on a trip like that before we burninated them might lessen the screaming.  Prophet then looked at those rocks he carries around, and told me that it was a good idea, but maybe we could do better.  And he talked to the officers in to renamding the guy in to our cutsody.  Prophet talked to the guy and aksed him some questions.  Turns out he's a Canopan, but got run out of a place called 'Lindermarl' because he crossed a big time drug boss there by developing something.  Here's a letter on the stuff."

Harridan grasped the document and gave it a quick perusal.  "Rainbow Pelican?", she asked.

"Yes Mum.  From hear him tell it, people on it often hear a something they calls a rainbow pelican talking to him.  Prophet figures we might be able to hire him to make it worth putting in to sprayers or replacing an Inferno missile's burning stuff with.  He said that if we could do that, and make it 'in-house', we could use it in a fight, when the locals need to be mellowed, or right before we burninate bad prisoners.  The doc, he calls himself a doc, says he can make it from stuff here on Smithon, too, cheaper than he could make back on Linermarl."

"Did he now?  We've been looking for ways to develop the local economy, and new weapons might help with that.  It's too late to help us with our job in the Lyran Commonwealth, and it's not like we'll need it to help us teach newbie Mechwarriors, but it could be good to have something waiting for us when we get back.  Have Prophet come to me right now, I don't care what he thinks the rocks say, and we'll write up a proposal for Star to try and set him up before we leave."

RP Ammo
aka "Rainbow Pelican" Ammo after the drug it was derived from.

Construction Rules:
RP Ammo is considered Inner Sphere technology and Experimental for every force but the Auregan Coalition and the Coromodir Corsairs where it is Advanced.
R&D Start Date: 3027 (Auregan Coalition)
Prototype Design and Production: 3032 (Auregan Coalition)
RP Fluid Ammo can be used as alternate ammo for Fluid Guns or Vehicle Flamers.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP SRM Ammo can be installed in any SRM ammo bay, but is not compatible with Artemis, NARC, or Streak targeting systems.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP LRM Ammo can be installed in any LRM ammo bay, but is not compatible with Artemis, NARC, or Streak targeting systems.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP Pods follows the same construction limitations of A-Pods.  Availability: 3060.
There is no RP Torpedo ammo.

Game Rules:
RP Ammo of any type does no damage to non-Infantry units.  Any Battle Armor Infantry hit without Armor is automatically removed as a casualty.  Any Mech unit hit in the Head that has lost its armor, applies 1D6 damage to the pilot.  All other units hit in a section that has lost its armor roll 1D6.  On a result of 1-4, the result is automatically Crew Stunned.  On a result of 5, the Officer is considered hit.  On a result of 6, it is considered a Crew Killed result.

RP Ammo used on a target that is being Swarmed by Infantry will hit the Conventional Infantry unit instead unless there is no Armor in that section.  If there is no Armor on that section, both the Infantry and unit will be considered hit.

If an RP Ammo Bin is hit, the Internal Structure is not damaged.  A Pilot will take 1D6 damage-1 for every undamaged Life Support system, with no minimum, as the fumes flood their unit.  Vehicle Crew does not take Damage from an Ammo explosion, but are treated as if hit in an unarmored Section.  If an unexpended RP-Pod is critically hit, treat it as having fired and an Ammo Bin hit with a -2 modifier with no minimum.

For campaign rules, pilots, crew, and Battle Armor pilots are only killed on a D6 roll of 6 for every exposure they receive.  For example if a Mech has an RP-Pod and an RP SRM Ammo bay hit, they would roll twice to see if they are considered dead.  For a Conventional Infantry unit, roll a D6 for every hit it received and apply that to the unit's final casualties.

When salvaging or repairing a unit that has been hit by RP Ammo, had an RP Ammo explosion, or used an RP-Pod, an additional target modifier of +3 will be added to see if any techs are "injured".  Treat those "injured" as if they were hit in combat by the weapon.

RP Fluid Ammo is treated as a Flamer when dealing with Conventional Infantry that is not Mechanized, but any individual damage die may be rerolled with the rerolled result staying.  Against Mechanized Infantry it is treated as a Machine Gun.
RP SRM Ammo applies 2D3 Damage per missile against Conventional Infantry that is not Mechanized, and 1D3 against Mechanized Infantry.
RP LRM Ammo do full damage against Conventional Infantry, adding a +4 to the Cluster Roll.
RP-Pod is treated as an A-Pod, except it applies 1D6+1 points of damage to all Conventional Infantry units in the same hex.  Any Battle Armor or Combat Vehicle at the same level and in the same hex as the firing unit is automatically hit as well, only roll location if any location is missing all of its Armor.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2022, 22:36:46 by Charistoph »
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
That's actually HILARIOUS.  It might also work for those awful 'civil patrol' missions (riot suppression).  maybe mix the psychedelic with a downer and a euphoric?

Way, way too late.  Lots of us read about the 1st Knights of the IS getting the chemical rain.  But the Psychotropic idea is cool.  Hello of a party!

Taking part in the massacre of Harrisburg, specially modified -008s incorporating Industrial Sealing used conventional sprayers mixed with pressurized tanks to deliver chemical weapons to slaughter the remaining civilians.
  The remaining payload carried a variety of similarly horrific weapons, including FAE munitions, Inferno missiles, and A-P bombs from an internal Bay.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

Charistoph

• Captain
Just out of curiosity, should they have different affects against Infantry in Buildings?

Either all Buildings are just considered in Cover and the Missiles don't get a Cluster Roll bonus, or just downgrade the Buildings damage reduction, like treat a Heavy Building as a Medium or Light, with Lights (maybe Mediums) only being treated as in Cover?

DOC_Agren

• Major
That's fine, just send me a link so I can enjoy it, too.

Also an excellent idea, once the idea of A-Pods come in to play.

“Come in”, a harried Addison “Harridan” Dunn said as she was finalizing some last paperwork before their departure to the Lyran Commonwealth in the morning.  Her irritation with the paperwork making her Northwinder brogue almost unintelligible.  3027, and even a mercenary outfit in the Periphery needs everything in triplicate.

Rhys "Basic" Sim came in to her office with a diffident look on his face.  "Mum, I was talking 'Prophet' last week..."

"Is he staring at rocks again?"

"No Mum, I mean, yes, Mum, but that's not why I'm here.  He says he's an amature rockologist, and I believe him, but..."

"Just get to the point, Basic," Harridan sighed as she really didn't need this headache.  Basic was a good kid, and helped her and Thud get off Northwind and out of the Confederation when certain events with a Highlander Colonel, a 2750 Old Earth Scotch, and a ski resort got out of hand, but there were times that she was reminded that his call sign wasn't JUST because of his name.

"Yes Mum.  Well, Prophet and I were visiting Ms Martha's Kitten Repository and..."

"I don't need all the details, Rhys."

"Yes Mum.  Well, as we were going in, the local officers were draggin' a guy out of it, with Ms Martha yelling at him for peddling poison.  We asked the officers what kind of poison he was selling, and it turns out he was selling a stamp a person could put on their arm and go on a trip.  I asked how could putting a stamp send you anywhere better than a dropship, and Prophet told me it wasn't that kind of trip."

"Well, after that action on Itrom where we burninated all those soldiers who helped burninate all those civilians, I've been having a mild pang of conscience.  It's not so much burninating people, that's part of the job and why I aksed for a Firestarter, it's their screaming I don't much care for.

"Anyway, I suggested to Prophet that sending someone on a trip like that before we burninated them might lessen the screaming.  Prophet then looked at those rocks he carries around, and told me that it was a good idea, but maybe we could do better.  And he talked to the officers in to renamding the guy in to our cutsody.  Prophet talked to the guy and aksed him some questions.  Turns out he's a Canopan, but got run out of a place called 'Lindermarl' because he crossed a big time drug boss there by developing something.  Here's a letter on the stuff."

Harridan grasped the document and gave it a quick perusal.  "Rainbow Pelican?", she asked.

"Yes Mum.  From hear him tell it, people on it often hear a something they calls a rainbow pelican talking to him.  Prophet figures we might be able to hire him to make it worth putting in to sprayers or replacing an Inferno missile's burning stuff with.  He said that if we could do that, and make it 'in-house', we could use it in a fight, when the locals need to be mellowed, or right before we burninate bad prisoners.  The doc, he calls himself a doc, says he can make it from stuff here on Smithon, too, cheaper than he could make back on Linermarl."

"Did he now?  We've been looking for ways to develop the local economy, and new weapons might help with that.  It's too late to help us with our job in the Lyran Commonwealth, and it's not like we'll need it to help us teach newbie Mechwarriors, but it could be good to have something waiting for us when we get back.  Have Prophet come to me right now, I don't care what he thinks the rocks say, and we'll write up a proposal for Star to try and set him up before we leave."

RP Ammo
aka "Rainbow Pelican" Ammo after the drug it was derived from.

Construction Rules:
RP Ammo is considered Inner Sphere technology and Experimental for every force but the Auregan Coalition and the Coromodir Corsairs where it is Advanced.
R&D Start Date: 3027 (Auregan Coalition)
Prototype Design and Production: 3032 (Auregan Coalition)
RP Fluid Ammo can be used as alternate ammo for Fluid Guns or Vehicle Flamers.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP SRM Ammo can be installed in any SRM ammo bay, but is not compatible with Artemis, NARC, or Streak targeting systems.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP LRM Ammo can be installed in any LRM ammo bay, but is not compatible with Artemis, NARC, or Streak targeting systems.  The amount of shots is unchanged.
RP Pods follows the same construction limitations of A-Pods.  Availability: 3060.
There is no RP Torpedo ammo.

Game Rules:
RP Ammo of any type does no damage to non-Infantry units.  Any Battle Armor Infantry hit without Armor is automatically removed as a casualty.  Any Mech unit hit in the Head that has lost its armor, applies 1D6 damage to the pilot.  All other units hit in a section that has lost its armor roll 1D6.  On a result of 1-4, the result is automatically Crew Stunned.  On a result of 5, the Officer is considered hit.  On a result of 6, it is considered a Crew Killed result.

RP Ammo used on a target that is being Swarmed by Infantry will hit the Conventional Infantry unit instead unless there is no Armor in that section.  If there is no Armor on that section, both the Infantry and unit will be considered hit.

If an RP Ammo Bin is hit, the Internal Structure is not damaged.  A Pilot will take 1D6 damage-1 for every undamaged Life Support system, with no minimum, as the fumes flood their unit.  Vehicle Crew does not take Damage from an Ammo explosion, but are treated as if hit in an unarmored Section.  If an unexpended RP-Pod is critically hit, treat it as having fired and an Ammo Bin hit with a -2 modifier with no minimum.

For campaign rules, pilots, crew, and Battle Armor pilots are only killed on a D6 roll of 6 for every exposure they receive.  For example if a Mech has an RP-Pod and an RP SRM Ammo bay hit, they would roll twice to see if they are considered dead.  For a Conventional Infantry unit, roll a D6 for every hit it received and apply that to the unit's final casualties.

When salvaging or repairing a unit that has been hit by RP Ammo, had an RP Ammo explosion, or used an RP-Pod, an additional target modifier of +3 will be added to see if any techs are "injured".  Treat those "injured" as if they were hit in combat by the weapon.

RP Fluid Ammo is treated as a Flamer when dealing with Conventional Infantry that is not Mechanized, but any individual damage die may be rerolled with the rerolled result staying.  Against Mechanized Infantry it is treated as a Machine Gun.
RP SRM Ammo applies 2D3 Damage per missile against Conventional Infantry that is not Mechanized, and 1D3 against Mechanized Infantry.
RP LRM Ammo do full damage against Conventional Infantry, adding a +4 to the Cluster Roll.
RP-Pod is treated as an A-Pod, except it applies 1D6+1 points of damage to all Conventional Infantry units in the same hex.  Any Battle Armor or Combat Vehicle at the same level and in the same hex as the firing unit is automatically hit as well, only roll location if any location is missing all of its Armor.

Please post more of this unit
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
That's not a Firestarter - it's a Partystarter  ;D

This is a neat idea.  I like the idea of spraying drugs on riots than spraying lead, though I'm not sure the Clans would ever get behind this  :D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
The chemical/biological weapons (some of which are "debilitating, non-lethal") can be deployed via smoke ammo. Wouldn't be out of the question for, say a Class I or II chemical weapon to be described as "drugs".
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

CVB

• Captain
Rainbow Pelican? Return of the "gay bomb"? ;D
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!