Register Register

Author Topic: AS-Style Cards for Total Warfare  (Read 843 times)

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
AS-Style Cards for Total Warfare
« on: 02 November 2022, 09:30:20 »
I spent the better part of last night tossing together some cards that should be able to hold most of the technical information about a mech, though it can't really pull double duty as a record sheet unfortunately unless I make them dual sided. Feedback is appreciated.

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
Re: AS-Style Cards for Total Warfare
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2022, 09:42:53 »
Oh, and here's an example of it in action:

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2022, 00:39:48 »
That looks really cool, i do like these better than a full page Mech sheet, nice and compact :thumbsup:

BTW, would it be too hard to make the blank cards form-fillable?

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2022, 15:00:23 »
The problem though is no crit chart. I suppose if you're just using these to organize a force to select specific 'mechs for use in a campaign scenario they could be exceptionally handy, but if the intent is to replace the record sheet there's a bit too much missing in my opinion.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2022, 16:48:57 »
The problem though is no crit chart. I suppose if you're just using these to organize a force to select specific 'mechs for use in a campaign scenario they could be exceptionally handy, but if the intent is to replace the record sheet there's a bit too much missing in my opinion.

Agreed. My initial reason for making them was so I could lay out the critical info for several mechs on the same page, enough data to fill out their record sheets with the help of the TM, but they don't have enough to actually play from. Nice for visualizing a force though. Once I get back home I'm going to try squeezing a crit chart onto the back, though that still leaves damage tracking to be done by hand, and of course constantly cross-referencing the weapon chart for damage and range. There's only so much you can do on 9 square inches though.

That looks really cool, i do like these better than a full page Mech sheet, nice and compact :thumbsup:

BTW, would it be too hard to make the blank cards form-fillable?

Once I get them into a state I'm satisfied with, sure. It'll be a few days though.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2022, 17:57:13 »
I like the look of them but my problem is I just do not know what I would actually use them for.  Looks far too small to have record sheet information and I don't really need something like this for force building.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2022, 18:01:39 »
You could put the crit. chart on the back side.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2022, 18:08:33 »
You could put the crit. chart on the back side.

That would get too old for me real fast, having to flip over to the back then the front on top of the shuffling to other units in my force.

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2022, 18:57:10 »
It's definitely far less effective than a full record sheet.

I don't have the tools to test it right now, but I'm thinking of something like this for the back:
HD
LT CT RT
LT CT RT
LA RA LL
LA RA RL

Probably going to need really small text though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2022, 19:28:23 »
The back would need to hold a full armor and IS diagram in addition to the crit chart.  Not to mention a heat scale.  I really don't think it will fit, as much as I might want it to...  :-\

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2022, 20:04:51 »
Heat scale at least is universal, so you could get away with just having a reference for the penalties and tracking it with pencil. I think there's just enough room to track health with pencil or marker, though it's not as convenient as bubbles certainly. Other penalties and disabled equipment can be marked off on the front too, the crit chart is only needed when crits need to be rolled.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2022, 19:44:18 »
The back would need to hold a full armor and IS diagram in addition to the crit chart.  Not to mention a heat scale.  I really don't think it will fit, as much as I might want it to...  :-\

You don't need the Armor/IS diagram on the back, when you have the list right there on the front.  All you need is a small blank next to each number to write down the damage taken.  Not that hard of a fix.

So, yeah, crit table on back would be just fine. 

And, then a separate card to track the heat scale?  Those can be standardized, and you could then simply use a paper clip without worrying about fudging your mark if it's sleaved.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2022, 20:37:45 »
My minor comment: Skill should be blank.   And it should probably look like ___/___ .  If this is for BATTLETECH, and not Allpha Strike, you have the piloting and the gunnery to work with.  Make a special note of which is which.  On the standard Mech sheet, Gunnery is on the left and Piloting is on the right.

If you wanted to, you could put Gunnery/Piloting in a gray on the blanks so that it wouldn't interfere with the number which would be written over top.  Something like: Gunnery / Piloting  or Gun / Plt

Or! you could have a secondary pilot card with the pilot stat block that can be slid under the Mech Card, much how you'd put enchantment and equipment cards under a creature in M:tG.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2022, 20:44:20 »
You have enough room around the Mech Name on your card for the pilot info block.

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2022, 13:26:53 »
Version 2. Added a block for the warrior, rebalanced some things, and most importantly shoved a crit table onto the backside.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2022, 15:38:09 by Richard S. »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2022, 18:53:01 »
The back seems to have quite a bit of left over real estate... hmmm...  ^-^

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2022, 19:16:34 »
Version 2 looks very nice  :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2022, 17:39:41 »
Version 2. Added a block for the warrior, rebalanced some things, and most importantly shoved a crit table onto the backside.

This is pretty good.  Now, let's put some practical record keeping space on there.

Much better.  I do believe you can edge in on either some space or a then column of blank lines next to the armor and internal structure values on the front.  The number of Heat Sinks box is taking up a fair amount of space, so you can shrink that.  I'd still leave the skill values as blank lines so that people can write in skills from game progress or if people play with randomized skills or pay for better skills or anything other than stock.  I'd also put a box or line to mark down the pilot damage taken, as well.

Otherwise, You could move that list to the back and integrate it with the Crit tables.  IE, each location table can have the armor and internals next to the location name with a little space to write down damage taken.