Register Register

Author Topic: MRM: Late Succession Wars  (Read 684 times)

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
MRM: Late Succession Wars
« on: 07 September 2022, 07:04:28 »
Is there any logical argument against this? I'm strongly considering adding them to our 4th Succession War campaign as they seem to just belong in that era.

I'm not really interested in BT purist responses. I don't use publishing dates as constraints in our games.

Thanks!
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: MRM: Late Succession Wars
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2022, 07:41:57 »
The only thing I can think is that rocket launchers would probably be a more fitting substitute. By memory, the reloading mechanism on MRMs is pretty needlessly complex, so having lighter one-shot packs makes sense during an era of technological regression. You can timewarp back Civil War-era rocket launchers, which are virtually identical to MRMs save for some pack sizes, tonnage, and reload capability, or use the existing prototype rocket launchers from IO:AE which are basically just the same thing but with a -1 Cluster Hits mod.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2022, 09:18:41 »
Your game, your rules.  What you play outside of a sanctioned event is your game for fun. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2022, 20:40:30 »
In pokefan548's vein: if you add MRMs, you MUST add Rocket Launchers.  8)

Other things I think fit in the Late SW era: Blazer Cannons, Recon Cameras, and Remote Sensor Dispensers (just off the top of my head)...

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2022, 23:17:49 »
Other things I think fit in the Late SW era: Blazer Cannons, Recon Cameras, and Remote Sensor Dispensers (just off the top of my head)...
By memory, those are all available. They technically never go extinct.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2022, 05:06:35 »
Exactly!  8)

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2022, 05:49:46 »
I think the inherent +1 to hit because of being dead fire and Long Range band of 9-15 make them only really terrifying at bad breath ranges, especially the MRM30 and 40. Even then they are not hole punchers like an AC20, but rather sandblasters since damage is dealt in 5-point clusters.

I'm going with they are being produced as a cheap alternative to guided missiles because of the 4th Succession War.

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2022, 05:51:30 »
In pokefan548's vein: if you add MRMs, you MUST add Rocket Launchers.  8)

We have added all of those! I love the Blazer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2022, 06:18:41 »
Artillery Cannons too, I hope!  8)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2022, 08:54:17 »
There was a thread posted here awhile ago discussing TW Standard weapons and equipment that make sense for introtech games.  RLs and I believe MRMs were discussed there:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-designs-rules/tech-retcon-list/
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2022, 01:08:45 »
Prototype RL (-1 cluster) already exist for succession wars play.  Of note, they are more expensive and have that cluster penalty compared to their production models that came along later.  I would apply the same to the MRM... I would say its possible, but as a bespoke missile weapon (not in mass production) they cost 10x as much and take that -1 cluster penalty same as rocket launchers.  If you wanted to go as far to say that MRMs are in production, then you would need to make lots and lots of MRM succession wars mechs with MRMs to explain it, which is too much work honestly to try and brute force MRMs into your setting, especially when rocket launchers exist.

As a side note, if you DID allow MRMs in otherwise lvl1 play, I dont think you will be adding much to your setting.  As stated, no variants exist that carry them so the random enemies wont have them to loot for salvage, and without fancy pilots or targeting tech the +1 penalty will rightfully scare players away from making it a primary weapon.  An MRM 40 with 2 heat sinks replacing an AC20 on something like a hunchback seems ok but hitting with the ac20 was already hard enough, so I doubt the extra 6 hexes of range will matter much as you wont be able to hit those shots with the +1.

Now, rocket launchers are a different animal.  Having a few rocket launchers on a mech isnt as much of an investment, no ammo to explode which makes a ton of sense in succession wars play, and several of the rocket launcher variants already exist that are good for 3025 play as the RL is the only advanced weapon.  Really, just not exploding is enough of a reason to make the swap on mechs like the assassin and jenner and panther.  An SRM 4 for 2 RL20s is a nice trade, letting you clear mines too, and multiple mechs have that random srm4.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2022, 05:48:23 »
At least the MRM10/20/30 can be directly replaced by the SRM6/LRM15/LRM20 in 3025 mechs.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2022, 06:57:41 »
I'd allow production RLs, personally.

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2022, 13:35:14 »
I'd allow production RLs, personally.

That's what we are doing. We are in the middle of the Tigress campaign, players are attached to the 3rd Crucis Lancers as mercs. With two RCTs I figure the Davion quartermaster just has them in stock.

We will be testing MRMs and RLs next game session!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2022, 15:08:27 »
Cool, I look forward to the AAR!  :thumbsup:

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2022, 21:43:28 »
Cool, I look forward to the AAR!  :thumbsup:

I run the entire campaign on Roll20. I spent a good portion of 2020 with lots of time on my hands. Custom sheets and all.

I play OPFOR exclusively for the campaign which is a Atow/BT hybrid.

The first mission was destroying some old Star League anti-space guns on Totalia, a moon of Tigress. The players were successful, but lost a long time pilot/character.

After that they dropped onto Tigress. They are a covering force for the 3rd Lancers, so I can run new Ops without affecting the Canon battles.

The first one was an ammo convoy raid in BT.

After that we just had an ATOW game where Warrior House Hiritsu was developing a nerve agent in a bunker. The players had to recon three different bunkers, raiding the nerve agent one, calling artillery on the others.

Up next is a BT game where they are trying to capture a bridge in a strategic location. So the water rules will all come into play!

Of course there is a deep story element to all of this that a quick post can't really do justice too.

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2022, 21:49:04 »
Double post.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2022, 21:51:21 by Grand_dm »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2022, 21:52:43 »
Interesting!   :thumbsup:

Did you accidentally quote vice edit in the second post?  ???

Grand_dm

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2022, 21:57:44 »
Interesting!   :thumbsup:

Did you accidentally quote vice edit in the second post?  ???

I 100% did lol.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2022, 22:12:48 »
No worries... it happens to all of us eventually...